collapse

Stories Untold

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking Towards The Future  (Read 1591 times)

Offline BlueBeauty

• Soldier
  • Guard
  • ~ secretly thanking your old posts ~
  • Awards 1up, 1up, 1up! - from Yugioh77 Power Up! - from Yugioh77 For being loveable - from Joji For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Death
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Looking Towards The Future
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 01:09 AM »
The way avatars worked have always been a novelty that would be nice to hold onto after the shutdown, hard to describe but it really creates a sense of personality for each user and holds a level of anonymity without the ugly look of a compact format. Shifting the avatar maker over to the forum would be really neat since I believe the way forum plugins work would be just enough for the editor to be feasible.
I strongly agree with this.

Offline wordigirl

• *Top 5*
  • Tank
  • FromThePlanetLexicon. Have a super blessed day!
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Is the reason known?

It's actually a rule of sploder dot com not to share personal information such as age, date of birth, etc. Remember. This site is for kids. The whole post pics of yourself thread is honestly a violation, but big G hasn't said anything, and those two threads have been running for years lol.
You guys can just right-click your avatar image and save it. While that means no modification of your avatar, it would at least allow you to keep it I think. If somebody could save all the avatar options into images, then we could theoretically save the avatars without needing the avatar creator.

I can easily do this.
problem is the lack of regulation on the avatars allowed
Whaddayamean?
❤ I love y'all. https://bit.ly/2xde6rz

Have an exuberantly blessed day!!!Best Thread 2017

Offline Leah | Patient

• Harassment Squad
  • Soldier
  • Tank
  • Friends don't lie.
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus congrats you've wasted 10 hours of your life - from Yugioh77 Happy Birthday! - from Joji For being loveable - from Yugioh77 sad - from konnichiha For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from J0ji Forever Alone - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06 AM »
he means you cant edit your avatar by just saving the image like you can rn
I'm always halfway happy
|
MOTY Best Writer - 2016, 2017
|
Photographer
|
Upside/Down
|
We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one.
|
Be(lie)ve

Offline Neopolitan

• Bad Boy
  • War Veteran
  • Mogura
  • Bae Joo-hyun
  • Awards For reaching the rank 'Lieutenant', quite an accomplishment there - from Alon For reaching the rank 'General' - from Alon For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Alon Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from Alonessix
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Remember guys, everything I've said is mostly just ideas, don't take it as fact. :)

I'm glad all of you are discussing however, I'm loving whats being shared so far.

Offline chucky12

• Tank
  • IDK anymore.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 07:11 AM »
he means you cant edit your avatar by just saving the image like you can rn

Let me put it this way-Say you wanted a blue avatar with a clown nose. That could easily be saved as an image. Now, what if you wanted a yellow avatar instead? You just have to switch out images. While it's certainly not efficient, I do feel that it's a good idea to at least back up all the avatar options just in case we can't save the avatar creator. Sure, it'd be no fun switching from image to image, but with this, at least you'd have the option to change your avatar if the creator cannot be saved.
I guess I'm the bizarre GIF collector now.

Offline Leah | Patient

• Harassment Squad
  • Soldier
  • Tank
  • Friends don't lie.
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus congrats you've wasted 10 hours of your life - from Yugioh77 Happy Birthday! - from Joji For being loveable - from Yugioh77 sad - from konnichiha For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from J0ji Forever Alone - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40 AM »

Let me put it this way-Say you wanted a blue avatar with a clown nose. That could easily be saved as an image. Now, what if you wanted a yellow avatar instead? You just have to switch out images. While it's certainly not efficient, I do feel that it's a good idea to at least back up all the avatar options just in case we can't save the avatar creator. Sure, it'd be no fun switching from image to image, but with this, at least you'd have the option to change your avatar if the creator cannot be saved.

you understand how many different combinations there are with that creator? not only is it inefficient but its also pointless, you'd be saving so many avatars you'd either run out of space or willpower.
I'm always halfway happy
|
|
Photographer
|
Upside/Down
|
|
Be(lie)ve

Offline Baysha

• Cruiser
  • :V
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 10:11 AM »
you understand how many different combinations there are with that creator? not only is it inefficient but its also pointless, you'd be saving so many avatars you'd either run out of space or willpower.
No he means saving all the things either individually or in a big spritesheet. So you could just go into an image editor and put the things on the avatar yourself.
A rebirth of a master race

OWO

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • Awards For contributing to the Records board, can be earned for the most miniscule task - from b i g b o y For being voted as the member of the month - from Mikano You've earned three features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from konnichiha Highly prized and rare! - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Epicosaurus I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I gave the spritesheets to polandpro the other day who's working on a standalone avatar editor, but the problem is you would have the option to not even use sploder avatars and instead use your own pic. Better and more practical to bring the plug-in over here natively.

Offline Leah | Patient

• Harassment Squad
  • Soldier
  • Tank
  • Friends don't lie.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 10:24 AM »
No he means saving all the things either individually or in a big spritesheet. So you could just go into an image editor and put the things on the avatar yourself.

not everyone is actually competent with image editors. its easier to bring the plug-in, doing that isnt worth the time or effort
I'm always halfway happy
|
|
Photographer
|
Upside/Down
|
|
Be(lie)ve

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
  • Awards An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from konnichiha For those who have shown great power. - from Moolatycoon 3rd Place in the Annual Music Contest 2015 - from Spookie For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Lt. Ripto Forever Alone - from swallowthesun Happy Birthday! - from JJS For reaching the rank 'General' - from liamnight Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from superluigi77
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Instead of just re-branding Sploder, there is the possibility of creating Sploder V2. Of course we'd need web developers on board... but if that can be resurfaced before all Sploder members wander off, then a new home could be found. Of course, there's some intense architectural changes on every account that to be revamped, and it would take quite quite some time to make.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • Awards For contributing to the Records board, can be earned for the most miniscule task - from b i g b o y For being voted as the member of the month - from Mikano You've earned three features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from konnichiha Highly prized and rare! - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Epicosaurus I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Instead of just re-branding Sploder, there is the possibility of creating Sploder V2. Of course we'd need web developers on board... but if that can be resurfaced before all Sploder members wander off, then a new home could be found. Of course, there's some intense architectural changes on every account that to be revamped, and it would take quite quite some time to make.
Doesn't seen like Geoff would be up to the task, but if that isn't the case I'd be down. Again, seems like more of a pipe dream to me than anything.

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
  • Awards An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from konnichiha For those who have shown great power. - from Moolatycoon 3rd Place in the Annual Music Contest 2015 - from Spookie For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Lt. Ripto Forever Alone - from swallowthesun Happy Birthday! - from JJS For reaching the rank 'General' - from liamnight Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from superluigi77
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Doesn't seen like Geoff would be up to the task, but if that isn't the case I'd be down. Again, seems like more of a pipe dream to me than anything.
Who said we needed Geoff? We can develop it. Well, if anyone has programming experience. Geoff was one dude who programmed the entire Main Site, I'm sure a few of us can get together, start a GitHub, and get to it.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Who said we needed Geoff? We can develop it. Well, if anyone has programming experience. Geoff was one dude who programmed the entire Main Site, I'm sure a few of us can get together, start a GitHub, and get to it.
oh for sure, but who would be interested?

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 01:28 PM »
oh for sure, but who would be interested?
Well, I'm one person. So far that is enough to get started.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Well, I'm one person. So far that is enough to get started.
Ace might also still be interested, was talking to him a few weeks ago about his progress with the platformer recreation.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 01:35 PM »
The only problem is it's more than likely the interest won't be there fully and you'd have to make changes to fit the current interests of the masses.

Offline Cian

• Heavy Cruiser
  • CyanGaming
  • Awards For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Probe You've earned five features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from J0ji For being an outstanding forum member! - from Netshark For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Ravicale  I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL You have earned 3 Features. Nice job. - from Epicosaurus  For winning in textlabel's Sploder Raffle! - from lordeldar
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 02:16 PM »
An avatar editor on the forums would be completely possible. If geoff allows access to: Specify avatar by Url, then a script could be written to pull this off. I think geoff should consider giving more permissions to the staff members so that the forum can survive the transition without his help.

With an built in avatar editor to the forums(which is simple enough), it can be placed in the "Forum Profile" editor in user's profiles. It can replace the "Personalized Picture" profile field, and the Custom Url input can be hidden. This is where it starts to get janky, as you're editing your avatar, the script will automically replace the "Url" with the avatar data. Formatted like: "http://000000_000000.png". It has to be a url to trick smf into thinking it's an image.

After that, everywhere on the forums will display your avatar like: , then we can simply run a script to replace this image with a bunch of different parts from the avatar, all overlayed ontop of eachother. The data 000000_000000 can still be read in the avatar url, and will be used to determine which images to use to create the user's avatar.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:19 PM by Cian »

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 02:41 PM »
The only problem is it's more than likely the interest won't be there fully and you'd have to make changes to fit the current interests of the masses.
Essentially We'd become mobile platform developers. I was thinking Xamarin for cross-platform usage. I'm pretty sure we would need to update a lot regarding how the games are played and what games are available. The web portion of Sploder V2 would come later, as getting the attention of the masses is much better.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Essentially We'd become mobile platform developers. I was thinking Xamarin for cross-platform usage. I'm pretty sure we would need to update a lot regarding how the games are played and what games are available. The web portion of Sploder V2 would come later, as getting the attention of the masses is much better.
If you can do this and get access to the database to merge your new site with the old I'd be extremely happy because you've always been in my eyes one of the most fit to replace Geoff.

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 04:11 PM »
If you can do this and get access to the database to merge your new site with the old I'd be extremely happy because you've always been in my eyes one of the most fit to replace Geoff.
*sheds one manly tear*

I appreciate the compliment. To be frank, I don't know if the current makers are going to survive the new age. Perhaps with a mobile app development they would. I honestly think that Sploder could have amazing potential in Game Design classes, where instead of crafting games from scratch in Unity or a lesser YoYo games, they could be implemented with Sploder. Perhaps a new spotlight on G4 would be pretty sweet too.

Of course, it'll be a long long road, but a pretty cool one. It would take at least a year or two to have a draft of the project done.

/*
Given that, I think Sploder actually needs a beef-up, with an advanced mode, where the parameters of each object can be altered, and new types of objects can be created. Basic mode would function as old Sploder does, and serve as a learning ground to how Sploder works. And perhaps a super-duper advanced mode where users can program more aspects of the game maker.

I definitely think its best to have separate makers instead of one giant one. Although that would be complete freedom, I don't think Sploder has ever been too much about complete crafting with that respect. I think Sploder works best with some boundaries set.

For this reason, I think its possible to merge the database, but Sploder V2 MUST have more options fit for both a younger and older audience for it to survive.
*/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:13 PM by 7grant2 »

Offline Eldar

• Dead Meme Corp
  • *Eliminated*
  • Tank
  • are you feeling it now mr krabs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Awards I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL For contributing to the Records board, can be earned for the most miniscule task - from bendrick lamar For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10 For participating in Sploderians Of The Storm. - from konnichiha sghdfh - from konnichiha Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Alon Happy Birthday! - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 04:41 PM »
y'know, i think you can do it. if you ever need help with bug testing, i can help. i can't do much but i can sure as hell test stuff if you do decide to do something like this.

popplio is best

Offline Cian

• Heavy Cruiser
  • CyanGaming
  • Awards For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Probe You've earned five features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from J0ji For being an outstanding forum member! - from Netshark For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Ravicale  I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL You have earned 3 Features. Nice job. - from Epicosaurus  For winning in textlabel's Sploder Raffle! - from lordeldar
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I have the editor working, at this point I'd just need some help from geoff/staff to get this up and running when needed.
Thanks: chucky12, Crazykittyzz, Shady/Melinda, Joji, Articuno­, Firey
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:02 PM by Cian »

Offline Startrek

• The Humble Asian
  • Soldier
  • Electropede
  • Ohey :)
  • Awards For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Lt. Ripto Award given for being an alt. (You don't want this!) - from konnichiha I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL You've earned ten features! Nice job! - from not knni For winning any of the Sploderheads weekly competition. - from Mikano
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 06:10 PM »
that's freaking sexy man!

Registered - 12 August 2009
Reviewer (13 Dec 2011 - 18 Feb 2015, 8 Nov 2017 - )
Ex-Moderator (25 July 2013 - 18 Feb 2015)
Soldier (11 Sep 2014 - 29 Nov 2014, 9 January 2018 - )
16 Features

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 06:14 PM »
@Grant,

This would be a huge project, but with some capital to start and a development team which you can begin building right here it definitely could work, and you seem to know exactly how that'd work. Looking forward to see how things go.

Offline 7grant2

• Sisyphus
  • [Staff] General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 06:28 PM »
@Grant,

This would be a huge project, but with some capital to start and a development team which you can begin building right here it definitely could work, and you seem to know exactly how that'd work. Looking forward to see how things go.
Sadly, I don't have the capital, and turning Sploder into a corporation just sounds.... wierd lol. But it would be a free-time project I have between a 40 hour job after I graduate and my girlfriend.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Sadly, I don't have the capital, and turning Sploder into a corporation just sounds.... wierd.
Yeah I feel you, but small minute things that could be purchased which wouldn't affect game creation would be nice. Likely more space for saving your work, or cosmetics for an updated avatar system, etc. It's sorta why sploder didn't survive.

Offline Baysha

• Cruiser
  • :V
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 07:54 PM »
I'm learning Godot game engine and that has a way to export to html5.
A rebirth of a master race

OWO

Offline lahdeedah

• THE GREATEST MOD EVER
  • War Veteran
  • Bugmeister
  • Awards Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For reaching the rank 'General' - from liamnight  An award for making truly epic games - from superluigi77 For being a good staff member - from anonymous
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 10:49 PM »
I just saw this link on the forum home page... is sploder done? Cuz if it is I'm like really sad lol I've been here since I wasn't even a teenager and now I'm about to graduate college

Offline lahdeedah

• THE GREATEST MOD EVER
  • War Veteran
  • Bugmeister
  • Awards Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For reaching the rank 'General' - from liamnight  An award for making truly epic games - from superluigi77 For being a good staff member - from anonymous
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Nvm just read Geoff's post...I'm shocked. I come here like every few months but wow...that one hit home.

Offline gamerrr101

• Magnet
  • #LongLiveSploder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35 AM »
-- quote --
The way avatars worked have always been a novelty that would be nice to hold onto after the shutdown, hard to describe but it really creates a sense of personality for each user and holds a level of anonymity without the ugly look of a compact format. Shifting the avatar maker over to the forum would be really neat since I believe the way forum plugins work would be just enough for the editor to be feasible.
-- end quote --

Yes. And if not possible, we can just take screenshots of our avatars and upload them.
Everything must be balanced. Without death, there is no life. Without sadness, there is no joy. Without dark, there is no light. Without end, there is no beginning. The cycle of all things - beginning-end-rebirth...

In desperation. There is hope.
Long live Sploder.

May the Force be with us, always

Tags: