collapse

Stories Untold

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: !HYPE! Marble Game/Broken Time Machine (PPG)  (Read 471 times)

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
  • Someday I'll pay attention. Maybe.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
!HYPE! Marble Game/Broken Time Machine (PPG)
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Puzzle Concept Demo:
http://www.sploder.com/?s=d005cxbo
Game Demo:
http://www.sploder.com/?s=d005d0vk

Now that I'm a bit older and slightly less simple-minded, I thought that I might do a remix/maybe-less-bad-sequel to Broken Machines.

Don't know what that is?
Broken Machines/Marble Game is a game based off Rube Golberg machines. The objective is to guide a ball/marble through a course without directly controlling it - you can manipulate parts of the course to get where you want to go.

This demo uses a bare-bones, nothing-to-look-at visuals because it is only to demonstrate a few puzzles. Like the original, it's color coded.
White: The ball is you, and the white blocks are platforms that you can pass through, but other platforms can't.
Red: It kills you.
Blue: You can't control this platform directly, but these are all tied to yellow objects.
Yellow: It may or may not control a blue object, but these platforms can only be moved left or right.
Green: Normal platform, sometimes you can also move it up.
Dark Grey: Keeps you from starting the moment you press start. It'll disappear when you click on the white ball.
Dark Red: Doesn't kill you this time! It's used to remove platforms that you don't really need anymore.
Glowing Green: Goal pad! Get here to win.

Hopefully a game like this will be of some interest.

EDIT (1/24): I made a (low quality) clear video, in case you're stuck but want to see everything: https://youtu.be/3fVsGD-C0mc
It's also being worked on, under the title "Broken Time Machine"!
EDIT (1/28) Level one has been released as a standalone demo, featuring an aqueduct and an Archimedes Screw pump. All platforms have been enlarged to make the demo more accessible.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:43 PM by passiveaggresive »
I'm a terrible student, learning to code between gaming, sleeping, and writing my own reality complete with gods, zealots, nonbelievers, magic, and mayhem... all because I hate the one I'm in.

Offline Matty

• Your Second-in-Command
  • [Staff] General
  • Bugmeister
  • Yeah, it's me
  • Awards For participating in the Volare Challenge - from Kaynichiha You placed first in the Weekly Weekend Contest! WOW - from konnichiha For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from konnichiha Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from Epicosaurus For placing 1st in the shooter category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;) For placing 4th-10th in the overall category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;) For placing in the top 11 of the Public's Vote category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: !HYPE! Marble Game (PPG)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 02:09 AM »
this is really cool but I can't seem to get past that 360 degree swing section. I can get it into the second basket but not onto the ramp above lol. Not sure if I am making much sense haha
Play some of my games
Witch Chaos ft. Lordeldar
The Vengeance

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:28 AM »
this is really cool but I can't seem to get past that 360 degree swing section. I can get it into the second basket but not onto the ramp above lol. Not sure if I am making much sense haha
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm working on making that bit slightly easier. By the time I got it to work, I'd been at it for three hours and stopped trying to curb it. It's definitely possible, I didn't hit publish until I was able to beat it consistently... but yeah, it's sort of a difficulty spike, and that obscures the last puzzle as well.

Getting past it also shows that I forgot to have the second yellow in the swing section disappear after getting past.

...Okay, enough stalling.
The second swing is marginally tougher than the first. It's actually easier to get enough momentum if you let the cup slam into the bottom of the ramp (rather than trying to come just short of hitting the ramp before slinging it back to the right), but this of course has the danger of knocking the ball down onto the red floor.

There's a simple fix (remove the block under the ramp itself), but it makes it look a bit more ugly than I could take... so I'm taking the long way to get around it.
I'm a terrible student, learning to code between gaming, sleeping, and writing my own reality complete with gods, zealots, nonbelievers, magic, and mayhem... all because I hate the one I'm in.

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Demo updated!

- First puzzle now has a slightly smaller platform
- Vertical bars in elevator puzzle now correctly colored yellow
- Second swing in 360 swing section is now easier
- Second yellow circle in 360 swing section now removes itself as intended
- (Re-)Enabled comments
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:07 PM by passiveaggresive »

Tokyo Samuri

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Pretty fun. Looking forward to the full game.

Cheese Potato

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:32 PM »
HYPED!

Offline splatter

• Soldier
  • Bugmeister
  • Awards For Extensive Game making Knowledge - from General Death  An award for making truly epic games - from splatter For reaching the rank 'Lieutenant', quite an accomplishment there - from General Death For having an eye for good games - from JJS You have earned a semi-rare sapphire! - from ♚♛ Highly prized and rare! - from Mechanism G For being a good forum member - from Moola For winning second place in a forum contest - from Netshark
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Its really hard. I think you should introduce the gimmick in a safer, easier manner.

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Its really hard. I think you should introduce the gimmick in a safer, easier manner.
Which one? The swing?
I'll respond assuming the swing is still the issue.
I plan on introducing the swing in the actual game with no kill platforms beneath the drop. I'm still debating whether I'll make the player go through a different obstacle or have a bouncer knock them back to give it another shot, because I've yet to make a setup that allows falling out of the cup, then getting back in.
(The red plat in the demo was originally a bouncer, but I was irritated with this method while trying to get the ball back in the cup, so I just made it a killplat)

Or I may hide an easter egg behind the swing, haven't decided how I'm going about that bit yet.

Offline splatter

• Soldier
  • Bugmeister
  • Awards For Extensive Game making Knowledge - from General Death  An award for making truly epic games - from splatter For reaching the rank 'Lieutenant', quite an accomplishment there - from General Death For having an eye for good games - from JJS You have earned a semi-rare sapphire! - from ♚♛ Highly prized and rare! - from Mechanism G For being a good forum member - from Moola For winning second place in a forum contest - from Netshark
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I haven't gotten past the part with the yellow circle and the dark blue platform that looks like half a bowtie.

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 10:54 PM »
I haven't gotten past the part with the yellow circle and the dark blue platform that looks like half a bowtie.
Oh, right. That. Uhm...

To get by it, tapping right and then holding right so the platform sort of swings with the ball (it's set to move about as fast as the ball, the hard part is getting it going). By the time the ball hits the platform, you want the blue piece to already be moving to the right or it's extremely hard to salvage (I've done it exactly once without giving the platform a little momentum at the start, though idk if there's a more consistent way). You'll know you got the timing down if the blue piece appears to make one (relatively) smooth swing from one end of the killplat to the other side.

Offline Eth

• Waow I lost my car keys
  • *[T4] Loser Island
  • Koptr
  • ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)=ε/̵͇̿̿/̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿
  • Awards may 23 - from TIMMY I participated in Trials IV! - from LIAM WILL For the b i g b o y s  - from a v e r a g e b o y Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji You've earned five features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 Freestyle Association Member - from General Death Made the best comment of 2014 - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:17 AM »
A lot of great mechanics, I particularly like the swinging part (though I can't seem to pass it).

It seems more of a mid-to-late game stage rather than an opening level because there are so many colours thrown at you at once that it can be very confusing. I'd recommend a first level focusing on maybe just the moveable blocks and their functionality with white, grey and red to indicate pass-thru, solid and gameover platforms. Then maybe introduce the yellow/blue blocks (in the same level or the one after), then the dark red, and so forth. After that, then have this stage, which seems like a large cluster of all the past mechanics rolled into one.

I would be interested in seeing more of this.

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 01:01 AM »
A lot of great mechanics, I particularly like the swinging part (though I can't seem to pass it).

It seems more of a mid-to-late game stage rather than an opening level because there are so many colours thrown at you at once that it can be very confusing. I'd recommend a first level focusing on maybe just the moveable blocks and their functionality with white, grey and red to indicate pass-thru, solid and gameover platforms. Then maybe introduce the yellow/blue blocks (in the same level or the one after), then the dark red, and so forth. After that, then have this stage, which seems like a large cluster of all the past mechanics rolled into one.

I would be interested in seeing more of this.
Glad to hear there's interest!

This isn't meant to be a level in and of itself, it's just five things that weren't in Broken Machines as a demonstration that I wouldn't just be doing more of exactly the same. The game itself will have actual progression (it's unlikely swings will show up in the first half of the game).
If you're on the sploder discord, I posted a clear video in case you're curious about the fifth puzzle, though the vertical swings is the best part of it imo.

EDIT: Also added the link to the OP.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:04 AM by passiveaggresive »

Offline Demonxz95

• Moderator of the Year 2017
  • Mainsite Office Employee
  • Koptr
  • Shake and Bake!
  • Awards Beware The Parry Award! - from ur mom. For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10 For participating in the Volare Challenge - from konnichiha You've earned eight features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 Part of the crew in THE Sploder Game Thread. - from Spookie ;) For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from liamnight Merry Christmas! - from Matty
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 08:45 PM »
The swinging part is cool, but it's very inconsistent and random. Sometimes, just swinging makes the ball fall out, sometimes it goes to the wrong spots, and the final platform is annoying to land on. I took several attempts on it and I only passed it once, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do on the next obstacle with the yellow platform. Everything before that though is perfectly fine.

By EnderChimera

Offline passiveaggresive

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:11 PM »
The swinging part is cool, but it's very inconsistent and random. Sometimes, just swinging makes the ball fall out, sometimes it goes to the wrong spots, and the final platform is annoying to land on. I took several attempts on it and I only passed it once, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do on the next obstacle with the yellow platform. Everything before that though is perfectly fine.
I'll see if I can make it any more consistent. I haven't had any problems as of yet, and the only time I can think of the ball coming out of the bucket I encountered were when you first start swinging the cup too quickly or when you hit the ramps too hard on the backswing. The buckets should align if you sling the lower yellow to the far left, but if you find a misalignment or a different scenario where the ball falls out, please let me know.

Offline smartdan

• War Fighter
  • *Eliminated*
  • Speeder
  • Hi, my name is Alex.
  • Awards For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from a v e r a g e b o y Happy Birthday! - from liamnight Nothing will stop this user from making great platformer games - from Probe For being a good staff member - from Ayano Sugiura
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 08:30 AM »
HYPED!!!!

Check my Newgrounds account: http://alex940.newgrounds.com

Tags: