collapse

Stories Untold

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Feedback Wanted Regarding Board Changes  (Read 286 times)

Offline Ravicale 

• Delet SESTA, literally internet killingly bad legislation.
  • [Staff] Lieutenant
  • Centipede
  • Touhou music best study music.
  • Awards Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from konnichiha For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from Hivetyrantofawesome We don't exist. - from General Death For Extensive Game making Knowledge - from General Death Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For having the best ideas - from ☠General Death☠ For reaching the rank 'General' - from  
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Feedback Wanted Regarding Board Changes
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:38 PM »
The other moderators and I have been discussing removing (archiving) some of the lesser used or redundant categories to speed up navigation in the site and to try and concentrate forum activity. Since different people use different categories, and we aren't terribly active in some of them; we are looking at feedback regarding the current plan. We may also end up doing some general cleanup regarding other things.

1. Categories we are going to assuredly delete:
Music - Very slow board, even less active than the Sploder Discord's music channel.
Introduce Yourself - Most new users seem to just post a thread in general anyway, since it's more obvious.
Nature Enthusiasts - Only affects soldiers+, its content was already often in the barracks anyway.
Ideas - Is somewhat inactive. Most of them are pretty unlikely to ever be implemented or even looked at by Geoff.
Bugs - Has consistently been very inactive, and hasn't been terribly effective for bug reporting.

2. These boards are going to be fused together, and will be publicly viewable by everyone.
Mod Applicants HQ - Literally hasn't seen a post since august (is it even viewable?)
MS Job Applications - See below.
Reviewer Lane - Is slow enough to no longer need to be sectioned off from MS Job Applications
Mainsite Office - Will also be thrown in to see how it copes since it is a related topic.

3. Deletions we are unsure about:
Debate Tower - The debates are far slower and less frequent than they have been in the past. We would instead have a fused thread in general or featured topics each week act as a debate topic so that we have more activity per debate and more people would be likely to join in.

Nub Barracks - None of the content here has any semblance of quality (and you get more freedom to say the same stuff on Discord). Outside of that, we will try to see if Geoff would be ok with us being a little looser on the reins, so to speak.

All and all, nothing super earth shattering. Just a bunch of tweaks that we would like some feedback on.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:34 AM by Ravicale  »

Offline shibuvsvinayak

• Guard
  • PPG LOVER
  • Awards You've earned five features! Nice job! - from not knni For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Joji A classic award reserved for only the most outstanding of feats. - from konnichiha For winning the Great Alt Search 2017 - from Joji For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from Joji For being a better than average member - from Epicosaurus For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from crystal You've earned three features! Nice job! - from konnichiha
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Feedback Wanted Regarding Board Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08 AM »
I don't have access to nub Barracks. Only few members have access to see it ?

Thanks Milestone Thread

Offline Ravicale 

• [Staff] Lieutenant
  • Centipede
  • Awards Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from konnichiha For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from Hivetyrantofawesome We don't exist. - from General Death For Extensive Game making Knowledge - from General Death Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For having the best ideas - from ☠General Death☠ For reaching the rank 'General' - from  
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12 AM »
I don't have access to nub Barracks. Only few members have access to see it ?
I forget how access to it worked. It may have been an opt in or post based thing. Not 100% sure.

Offline Master

• EveryBody's Favorite
  • Mainsite Office Employee
  • Disruptor
  • UNICORNZ!
  • Awards You've earned five features! Nice job! - from Mikano You've earned three features! Nice job! - from konnichiha For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Ripto Voted weirdest member of 2014 - from Spookie For being a good forum member - from Myown For leaving great comments - from Moolatycoon For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Moolatycoon For trying your very best! - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13 AM »
The other moderators and I have been discussing removing (archiving) some of the lesser used or redundant categories to speed up navigation in the site and to try and concentrate forum activity. Since different people use different categories, and we aren't terribly active in some of them; we are looking at feedback regarding the current plan. We may also end up doing some general cleanup regarding other things.

1. Categories we are going to assuredly delete:
Music - Very slow board, even less active than the Sploder Discord's music channel.
Introduce Yourself - Most new users seem to just post a thread in general anyway, since it's more obvious.
Nature Enthusiasts - Only affects soldiers+, its content was already often in the barracks anyway.

2. Sploder mainsite boards are going to be fused together an be publicly viewable by everyone.
Bugs has consistently been very inactive and hasn't been terribly effective for bug reporting.
Ideas is somewhat inactive (and frankly, most of them are pretty unlikely to ever be implemented).
Mod Applicants HQ literally hasn't seen a post since august (is it even viewable?)
Reviewer Lane is slow enough to no longer need to be sectioned off from MS Job Applications
We're going to see how it copes with MSO in the mix.

3. Deletions we are unsure about:
Debate Tower: The debates are far slower and less frequent than they have been in the past. We would instead have a fused thread in general or featured topics each week act as a debate topic so that we have more activity per debate and more people would be likely to join in.

Nub Barracks: None of the content here has any semblance of quality (and you get more freedom to say the same stuff on Discord). Outside of that, we will try to see if Geoff would be ok with us being a little looser on the reins, so to speak.

All and all, nothing super earth shattering. Just a bunch of tweaks that we would like some feedback on.
Do not archive Music. It still holds its purpose here.

You made your point go ahead and archive Introduce yourself.

You can archive Nature Enthusiasts as well, since it was only made to clear out (kind of) spam in the barracks. Which isnít much of a problem anymore.

Sploder Mainsite Boards - Why?
Bugs - yeah that board is pretty much dead.
Ideas - I say just improve on that board, since we at least need somewhere to put our burning ideas.
HQ- go ahead and remove that.
Reviewer Lane - it would make more sense if itís with the other job applications.
Debate Tower - okay.
Nub Barracks - ehh keep it for a little while.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I Gots To Ball
  • Awards Awarded to those who consistently and prominently advertise the site! - from liamnight Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji You've earned three features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from konnichiha Highly prized and rare! - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Epicosaurus Award given for being an alt. (You don't want this!) - from Jammyt2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:27 AM »
The ability to change my vote would be nice, since this really isn't dependant on ensuring opinions aren't swayed. In fact it's the opposite way around since users are prone to voting before reading the arguments for/against some of the options.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I Gots To Ball
  • Awards Awarded to those who consistently and prominently advertise the site! - from liamnight Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji You've earned three features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from konnichiha Highly prized and rare! - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Epicosaurus Award given for being an alt. (You don't want this!) - from Jammyt2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:30 AM »
You can't allow swearing on a public section of a site paired with Adsense so Geoff couldn't ease up too much on the rules, and that's why the nub barracks are important in that sense.

I have no qualms with the other decisions being made, though.

Offline wordigirl

• Guard
  • FromThePlanetLexicon. Have a super blessed day!
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:46 AM »
Nub barracks can go. It is not in compliance with sploder rules. Debate tower is fine I guess to delete... If you don't mind general becoming crowded with debates. Then, you'd have less "flamewar" excuses to lock threads. People will just go "chill, bro. It's just a debate."

MS boards being merged for what purpose? Sploder's all about games, and everyone tends to forget that.
Also, I thought that they were already public.

I admit that I hardly ever go to music. Most topics from there could kinda fit between pe and general, tbh. Some people love it though, maybe sentimental reasons, and that's why it was brought back in the first place.

I can't see anything soldier+, so I honestly don't care.

I always wondered why reviewer lane was set aside. Merging that is great. Ideas I know are uselessly getting people's hopes up. Trash it. Bugs can be trashed, so yeah.
Have an exuberantly blessed day!!!

Sibs:Wildzoogames/Ninjotten/Splashbaby
Thx:1marcviper2boreal3?4fnnyleague/best@games 5dcxd7fuz/goldop8lifedollar69&10lavalinn11npc?

Offline Ravicale 

• [Staff] Lieutenant
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:09 AM »
The ability to change my vote would be nice, since this really isn't dependant on ensuring opinions aren't swayed. In fact it's the opposite way around since users are prone to voting before reading the arguments for/against some of the options.
Added

Note that since you can't change this after a poll is made all votes have been reset as a result

You can't allow swearing on a public section of a site paired with Adsense so Geoff couldn't ease up too much on the rules, and that's why the nub barracks are important in that sense.

I have no qualms with the other decisions being made, though.
Looking at the adsense guidelines, the occasional bit of profane language or oddness would not be in violation of the AdSense policies (though content in the barracks likely would be).

Do not archive Music. It still holds its purpose here.
How is that purpose not potentially served about as well by General and the music channel in discord? The music board attracts about 3 posts per day. If you're worried about such content not surviving in General, would regular stickied threads in General relating to it possibly work?

Ideas - I say just improve on that board, since we at least need somewhere to put our burning ideas.
Game Discussion exists, I can't imagine such content not fitting in there given the current speed of Ideas. There have also been plenty of times where improvements have been attempted for it (I even ran it for about a month), but it doesn't change the fact that it's been years since content from there was really looked over or implemented by Geoff

Sploder Mainsite Boards - Why?
MS boards being merged for what purpose? Sploder's all about games, and everyone tends to forget that.
Perhaps my wording wasn't very clear. By Sploder Mainsite I was referring to the six boards listed in that category (MS Job Applications, Ideas, Bugs, The Reviewer Lane, Mod Applicants HQ, and the partially hidden Main Site Office). Sploder Play and Game Discussion are staying as-is. I'll adjust the wording in the OP for clarity.

I always wondered why reviewer lane was set aside.
It once portioned off all reviews on the forums, and reviewer was by far the most popular position people tried to go for. It was sectioned off so that it didn't drown out everything else. (Note: Basing this off of memory, may be somewhat/completely incorrect as a result)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:15 AM by Ravicale  »

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I Gots To Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06 AM »
You'd be surprised at how many longtime users have been dropped because Adsense detected one too many 'F' words on their site. A forum would w/o a doubt show a multitude of results in profanity and when evaluating things like that the type of website isn't taken into consideration. Too risky of a route to take, and what we have now for the general board is fine as is in my own opinion. I've been working for Adsense for two years now and their guidelines paint a very different picture from what you get.

The way a former team of mine went about this was to default all users to a censor, and allow them to lift the censor by modifying their account settings. Google monitors sites using a bot, and while they can make a bot sign up for a website the chances of the bots modifying their account settings are extremely low to nonexistent. It's worth mentioning since something similar could be done here, and it wouldn't risk Geoff's Adsense account being terminated.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:14 AM by sticki »

Offline Matty

• Your Second-in-Command
  • [Staff] General
  • Bugmeister
  • Yeah, it's me
  • Awards For participating in the Volare Challenge - from Kaynichiha You placed first in the Weekly Weekend Contest! WOW - from konnichiha For having an eye for good games - from Yugioh77 This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from konnichiha Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from Epicosaurus For placing 1st in the shooter category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;) For placing 4th-10th in the overall category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;) For placing in the top 11 of the Public's Vote category for EGD 9! - from Matty ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Looking at the adsense guidelines, the occasional bit of profane language or oddness would not be in violation of the AdSense policies (though content in the barracks likely would be).
We tried this before and it didn't work, it probably won't be back again.

Offline Firepinch D:

• Valiant
  • Tank
  • Awards Forever Alone - from liamnight For being a good forum member - from Yugioh77 You've earned three features! Nice job! - from Yugioh77 For making spaceship games so outstanding, it's out of this world - from Yugioh77 sghdfh - from Epicosaurus Award given for being an alt. (You don't want this!) - from liamnight For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from liamnight You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from liamnight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Nub Barracks. All you guys do is act drunk and most of it isn't even funny. Now the Debate Tower is a little different, I think it's fine as it stands. It's a really good place to talk about moral issues and other things. Just don't post joke debates. Because, that's not what it's suppose to be used for. If you do, I'd be fine deleting it.

Offline Neopolitan

• Peek-A-Boo
  • War Veteran
  • Mogura
  • Bae Joo-hyun
  • Awards Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from Alonessix
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I'd like Nature Enthusiasts to stay as a sub-category if it can. I don't want the Barracks to turn back into the drug praising category which led into the creation of Nature Enthusiasts.

Offline Shady

• St.Pepsi
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • ~Suicidal Mystic~
  • Awards For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from J0ji For being a part of the jury in the 2017 3rd Music Contest. Thank you for your h - from Joji You've earned three features! Nice job! - from benisawesome7 :D Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Yugioh77 sad - from konnichiha This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from konnichiha For being an active and talented debater - from J0ji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Debate Tower has a set purpose while Nub Barracks does not.

Reviewer
Reviewer Recruiter
3 Features
MOTY Best Debater 2016

Offline Eldar

• Guard
  • Ultra Necrozma is L I T
  • Awards For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10 For participating in Sploderians Of The Storm. - from konnichiha Happy Birthday! - from Epicosaurus Award given for being an alt. (You don't want this!) - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:29 AM »
debate tower only cause im banned from discord
[/url]

500th Thanker- Cookies

Offline Shady

• St.Pepsi
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • ~Suicidal Mystic~
  • Awards For entering Jayk's soundcloud contest - from J0ji For being a part of the jury in the 2017 3rd Music Contest. Thank you for your h - from Joji You've earned three features! Nice job! - from benisawesome7 :D Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Yugioh77 sad - from konnichiha This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from konnichiha For being an active and talented debater - from J0ji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 01:13 PM »
If Introduce Yourself wasn't a child board, it would get more new people seeing it tbh

Also, Mod Applicants was used for this: http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,503259.0.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:30 PM by Shady »

Reviewer
Reviewer Recruiter
3 Features
MOTY Best Debater 2016

Offline Megaman4540

• Cruiser
  • Hey im megaman
  • Awards For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03 PM »
if we archive nub barracks where else can we put the discord quote keeper ?

Offline Globe

• {~$Money Team$~}
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • (: Bluebeauty's Biggest Fanboy :)
  • Awards For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from liamnight may 23 - from Rule Forever Alone - from swallowthesun Happy Birthday! - from Lt. Death Problem? - from Parry This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from Ravicale's Alt For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from TheMysteriousStranger For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from lumberjay
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 02:10 PM »
if we archive nub barracks where else can we put the discord quote keeper ?

Being the case we have a couple options

A) Make a new one in general, but censor out the content that would be allowed in the nub barracks..or...
B) Make it a sub-category in the actual discord

Offline Megaman4540

• Cruiser
  • Hey im megaman
  • Awards For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 02:16 PM »
A) Make a new one in general, but censor out the content that would be allowed in the nub barracks..or...
or make a private quote keeper board that we can put it in so that we dont lose all the stuff in that thread

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I Gots To Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Being the case we have a couple options

B) Make it a sub-category in the actual discord
Or stick it in the barracks

Offline Globe

• {~$Money Team$~}
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • (: Bluebeauty's Biggest Fanboy :)
  • Awards For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from liamnight may 23 - from Rule Forever Alone - from swallowthesun Happy Birthday! - from Lt. Death Problem? - from Parry This is a regular gold award that was brought up in a rough neighborhood. - from Ravicale's Alt For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from TheMysteriousStranger For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from lumberjay
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 03:01 PM »
or make a private quote keeper board that we can put it in so that we dont lose all the stuff in that thread

So replace the nub barracks with a board that showcases only this topic? Hey kudos to you for the idea, but the mods are trying to limit boards here, not make more.
Or stick it in the barracks

I was gonna say this, but then I realized how many privates it would trigger, lmao.

Offline sticki

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I Gots To Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Why would it trigger any privates? We have a quote keeper in there too, if the privates would like a public one then creating their own is a plausible option that's been practiced with the idea of a quote keeper for years now. The content in the discord quote keeper is meant for the barracks, so if the nub barracks go then moving it to the barracks would make the most sense.

Offline Master

• EveryBody's Favorite
  • Disruptor
  • UNICORNZ!
  • Awards You've earned five features! Nice job! - from Mikano You've earned three features! Nice job! - from konnichiha For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Ripto Voted weirdest member of 2014 - from Spookie For being a good forum member - from Myown For leaving great comments - from Moolatycoon For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Moolatycoon For trying your very best! - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Nub barracks can go. It is not in compliance with sploder rules. Debate tower is fine I guess to delete... If you don't mind general becoming crowded with debates. Then, you'd have less "flamewar" excuses to lock threads. People will just go "chill, bro. It's just a debate."

I admit that I hardly ever go to music. Most topics from there could kinda fit between pe and general, tbh. Some people love it though, maybe sentimental reasons, and that's why it was brought back in the first place.

I can't see anything soldier+, so I honestly don't care.

I always wondered why reviewer lane was set aside. Merging that is great. Ideas I know are uselessly getting people's hopes up. Trash it. Bugs can be trashed, so yeah.
I guess you think the barracks, Bunker, MA, LL + should be removed too?

Offline Master

• EveryBody's Favorite
  • Disruptor
  • UNICORNZ!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 04:02 PM »
How is that purpose not potentially served about as well by General and the music channel in discord? The music board attracts about 3 posts per day. If you're worried about such content not surviving in General, would regular stickied threads in General relating to it possibly work?
Game Discussion exists, I can't imagine such content not fitting in there given the current speed of Ideas. There have also been plenty of times where improvements have been attempted for it (I even ran it for about a month), but it doesn't change the fact that it's been years since content from there was really looked over or implemented by Geoff
Perhaps my wording wasn't very clear. By Sploder Mainsite I was referring to the six boards listed in that category (MS Job Applications, Ideas, Bugs, The Reviewer Lane, Mod Applicants HQ, and the partially hidden Main Site Office). Sploder Play and Game Discussion are staying as-is. I'll adjust the wording in the OP for clarity.
 It once portioned off all reviews on the forums, and reviewer was by far the most popular position people tried to go for. It was sectioned off so that it didn't drown out everything else. (Note: Basing this off of memory, may be somewhat/completely incorrect as a result)
-General doesnít specifically serve a place for music related threads. And not everyone uses discord. Perhaps.

- Actually that isnít that bad of an idea, we could combine game discussion and  ideas boards together.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:10 PM by Master »

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Koptr
  • Don't be a hater, be a tater!
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Epicosaurus For being loveable - from Epicosaurus Happy Birthday! - from Epicosaurus For users who participated a lot in the Who Killed Superluigi gameshow. - from Alon I got 2nd place for Slaughter! W00T!!! - from Liamnight Productions For participating in the ZSG - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Keep The Debate Tower and Nub Barracks.

Especially the Nub Barracks. That's my favorite board. So many wonderful threads there. I don't use the Discord, so getting rid of the Nub Barracks would suck. You shouldn't add the leniency of the Nub Barracks to General because not everyone likes that stuff. The Nub Barracks is a hidden board for those who do want it. You just need at least 500 posts and ask for access. It works.

That's what Bohobes look like.

Sherlock Holmes from Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Ace Attorney)

Offline Enigma

• WHIP
  • Soldier
  • Koptr
  • NAE NAE
  • Awards We don't exist. - from Budz Awarded to those who consistently and prominently advertise the site! - from liamnight Gangnam Style Award - from konnichiha You've earned three features! Nice job! - from J0ji For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Epicosaurus Happy Birthday! - from Budz I won Slaughter Gameshow. Fear me! - from Liamnight Productions Eat butter. Love butter. Butter is life. - from liamnight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04 PM »
When we have good debates, we have a good board. I like the Debate Tower. The one on the Discord is a different story however....

I don't know, the Nub Barracks is a fun place to have.

Offline Alon

• insert pretentious custom title here
  • War Veteran
  • Electropede
  • Awards Royal Review Rumble [AM] Category Winner 2012 - from superluigi77 Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'General' - from Alon For reaching the rank 'Lieutenant', quite an accomplishment there - from Jmc10 For participating in the ZSG - from Spookie sghdfh - from liamnight Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For participating in the holiday fun in 2013 - from Jammyt2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Keep both DT and Nub Barracks.

Also you know this already I'd hope, but archive boards instead of deleting them

Offline Neopolitan

• Peek-A-Boo
  • War Veteran
  • Mogura
  • Bae Joo-hyun
  • Awards Granted to users who provide a solid description for a Hall of Fame inductee - from Joji An award to all your great help, War Veteran - from Alonessix
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Keep both DT and Nub Barracks.

Also you know this already I'd hope, but archive boards instead of deleting them

first sentence literally says archive

Offline Alon

• insert pretentious custom title here
  • War Veteran
  • Electropede
  • Awards Royal Review Rumble [AM] Category Winner 2012 - from superluigi77 Award bestowed upon members inducted into the forum Hall of Fame - from Epicosaurus For reaching the rank 'General' - from Alon For reaching the rank 'Lieutenant', quite an accomplishment there - from Jmc10 For participating in the ZSG - from Spookie sghdfh - from liamnight Forever Alone - from swallowthesun For participating in the holiday fun in 2013 - from Jammyt2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 08:48 PM »
first sentence literally says archive

i read through, read posts below, then saw "Categories we are going to assuredly delete:"
::-[:

Offline Ravicale 

• [Staff] Lieutenant
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I'd like Nature Enthusiasts to stay as a sub-category if it can. I don't want the Barracks to turn back into the drug praising category which led into the creation of Nature Enthusiasts.
Nature Enthusiasts hasn't seen a post since early November, and such discussion can often be found in the Barracks anyway.

You'd be surprised at how many longtime users have been dropped because Adsense detected one too many 'F' words on their site. A forum would w/o a doubt show a multitude of results in profanity and when evaluating things like that the type of website isn't taken into consideration. Too risky of a route to take, and what we have now for the general board is fine as is in my own opinion. I've been working for Adsense for two years now and their guidelines paint a very different picture from what you get.

The way a former team of mine went about this was to default all users to a censor, and allow them to lift the censor by modifying their account settings. Google monitors sites using a bot, and while they can make a bot sign up for a website the chances of the bots modifying their account settings are extremely low to nonexistent. It's worth mentioning since something similar could be done here, and it wouldn't risk Geoff's Adsense account being terminated.
There's probably some settings/plugin for SMF to do that (though Geoff hasn't been too big on adding plugins to the forums).

We tried this before and it didn't work, it probably won't be back again.
Then you should have mentioned that in the LL when Death brought up the idea.

If Introduce Yourself wasn't a child board, it would get more new people seeing it tbh

Also, Mod Applicants was used for this: http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,503259.0.html
Even then, General normally works fine for it anyway. We don't get new users creating such threads that often.

i read through, read posts below, then saw "Categories we are going to assuredly delete:"
::-[:
I was using archive/delete interchangeably. Of course the boards would be archived, pushed for that category for a reason.

When we have good debates, we have a good board. I like the Debate Tower. The one on the Discord is a different story however....

I don't know, the Nub Barracks is a fun place to have.
Keep The Debate Tower and Nub Barracks.

Especially the Nub Barracks. That's my favorite board. So many wonderful threads there. I don't use the Discord, so getting rid of the Nub Barracks would suck. You shouldn't add the leniency of the Nub Barracks to General because not everyone likes that stuff. The Nub Barracks is a hidden board for those who do want it. You just need at least 500 posts and ask for access. It works.
debate tower only cause im banned from discord
Debate Tower has a set purpose while Nub Barracks does not.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Nub Barracks. All you guys do is act drunk and most of it isn't even funny. Now the Debate Tower is a little different, I think it's fine as it stands. It's a really good place to talk about moral issues and other things. Just don't post joke debates. Because, that's not what it's suppose to be used for. If you do, I'd be fine deleting it.
To be clear, I'm not saying that debate content should be removed from the forums (and it wouldn't survive in General without mod intervention). I'm proposing this as a replacement:
We would instead have a fused thread in general or featured topics each week act as a debate topic so that we have more activity per debate and more people would be likely to join in.
My plan was to allow for users to PM me with debate topic ideas and host a fused debate thread in General that changes every couple of days (with a poll at the top so people can vote for their favored topic).

It's just that the Debate Tower is somewhat slow compared to the past. Would it not benefit from the extra activity and visibility in General?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:51 PM by Ravicale  »

Offline Neopolitan

• Peek-A-Boo
  • War Veteran
  • Mogura
  • Bae Joo-hyun
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53 AM »
Nature Enthusiasts hasn't seen a post since early November, and such discussion can often be found in the Barracks anyway.

then its up to you guys to moderate properly and make sure threads are in the right areas.

Also, 1 month is barely inactive.

Tags: