collapse

Stories Untold

Author Topic: Puzzles in platformers?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Freefallsonic

• Reverser
  • Sotarnicus / Freefallsonic at your service.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Puzzles in platformers?
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:43 AM »
PM Me any ideas for platformer puzzles, please and thank you.

CEO Of Orion Industries. Social Media: Tweet: https://twitter.com/sotarnicus; Stream: twitch.tv/sotarnicus_; Discord tag: Sotarnicus#3322; Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Sotarnicus
Join Orion Industries today and get a free MS Award!

Offline Bolsillos

• greendino11 is The Bohobemeister of Sploder
  • Disruptor
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Epicosaurus For being loveable - from Epicosaurus Happy Birthday! - from Epicosaurus For users who participated a lot in the Who Killed Superluigi gameshow. - from Alon I got 2nd place for Slaughter! W00T!!! - from Liamnight Productions For participating in the ZSG - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Puzzles in platformers?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11 AM »
Play featured platformer games. You'll find puzzles in (some of) them.
greendino11 is The Bohobemeister of Sploder

Offline Bolsillos

• Disruptor
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Epicosaurus For being loveable - from Epicosaurus Happy Birthday! - from Epicosaurus For users who participated a lot in the Who Killed Superluigi gameshow. - from Alon I got 2nd place for Slaughter! W00T!!! - from Liamnight Productions For participating in the ZSG - from Spookie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11 AM »
Also, play platformer games in the EGL.
greendino11 is The Bohobemeister of Sploder

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Mainsite Office Employee
  • Tank
  • PM Me if you need any help with fixing your review
  • Awards You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from LiamCreates For winning 5th place in the Amazing Artists Challenge!  - from Joji For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Yugioh77 Happy Birthday! - from Matty For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from Joji sad - from konnichiha Awarded to those who consistently and prominently advertise the site! - from liamnight Make Me Burp Mommy - from LiamCreates
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline wordigirl

• Guard
  • FromThePlanetLexicon. Have a super blessed day!
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12 AM »
What kind of puzzles? I love puzzles, and I try to incorporate them in some of my games. If you give an example of the theme of the game you're trying to make, I might provide some suggestions. Your question is sort of vague.
Have an exuberantly blessed day!!!

Sibs:Wildzoogames/Ninjotten/Splashbaby
Thx:1marcviper2boreal3?4funnyleague/bestatgames 5dcxd7fuz/goldop8lifedollar69&10lavalinn

Offline Gannon

• The Fool that Plays It Cool
  • Tank
  • I, am Megaman
  • Awards Forever Alone - from swallowthesun You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from Princess Matty  - from Princess Matty For being a hard core game player - from Princess Matty For participating in the holiday fun in 2013 - from Jammyt2 For being a good forum member - from Jammyt2 For being a better than average member - from sto4 For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Lt. Death
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I just found a couple that havent been used before, im psyched

╭━━━╮╱╱╭╮╱╱╱╱╱╭╮
┃╭━╮┃╱╱┃┃╱╱╱╱╱┃┃
┃╰━━┳━━┫┃╭━━┳━╯┣━━┳━╮
╰━━╮┃╭╮┃┃┃╭╮┃╭╮┃┃━┫╭╯
┃╰━╯┃╰╯┃╰┫╰╯┃╰╯┃┃━┫┃
╰━━━┫╭━┻━┻━━┻━━┻━━┻╯
               | |
              ╰╯

Online Master

• EveryBody's Favorite
  • Disruptor
  • UNICORNZ!
  • Awards You've earned three features! Nice job! - from konnichiha For reaching the rank 'Soldier'.  - from Ripto Voted weirdest member of 2014 - from Spookie For being a good forum member - from Myown For leaving great comments - from Moolatycoon For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Moolatycoon For trying your very best! - from Spookie Eat butter. Love butter. Butter is life. - from liamnight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Ideas for those are easy. You don’t have to ask people for them. Just look at something with in the creator itself and then think how do I implement that thing in an interesting way?

Offline Freefallsonic

• Reverser
    • View Profile
    • Awards

CEO Of Orion Industries. Social Media: Tweet: https://twitter.com/sotarnicus; Stream: twitch.tv/sotarnicus_; Discord tag: Sotarnicus#3322; Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Sotarnicus

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
  • Awards You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from LiamCreates For winning 5th place in the Amazing Artists Challenge!  - from Joji For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Yugioh77 Happy Birthday! - from Matty For achieving over 1000 thanks, well done! - from Joji sad - from konnichiha Awarded to those who consistently and prominently advertise the site! - from liamnight Make Me Burp Mommy - from LiamCreates
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20 PM »

Offline Articuno­

• I don't do mornings
  • Reverser
  • Do not drink and drive!
  • Awards For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10 You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from Joji You've earned five features! Nice job! - from konnichiha For participating in the Volare Challenge - from konnichiha For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Epicosaurus For winning first place in a forum contest - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45 AM »
Did someone say puzzles? C:
All you have to do is play around with the the creator, you will surely find some while doing that. It's how I got 3 puzzle games featured hehe
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:47 AM by Articuno­ »

ffs when you notice a typo in a PM you write but it's too late to fix kfuwbrg

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Did someone say puzzles? C:
All you have to do is play around with the the creator, you will surely find some while doing that. It's how I got 3 puzzle games featured hehe

Please don't remind me of that horrifying experience in Sapphire Pires.

Offline Articuno­

• I don't do mornings
  • Reverser
  • Do not drink and drive!
  • Awards For participating in the Becoming a Soldier Game Show. - from Jmc10 You ain't got nuthin' on me. - from Joji You've earned five features! Nice job! - from konnichiha For participating in the Volare Challenge - from konnichiha For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Epicosaurus For winning first place in a forum contest - from Epicosaurus
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Please don't remind me of that horrifying experience in Sapphire Pires.
Which there are a few

ffs when you notice a typo in a PM you write but it's too late to fix kfuwbrg

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Which there are a few

Not Oblivion it was epic

Offline wordigirl

• Guard
  • Awards For having lots of positive karma, a great member in the Sploder Community - from Joji Happy Birthday! - from Joji
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18 PM »
...well, you could always try the switches and doors, but if you need help on how to use them, contact me. You're still kinda vague. What's your game about, and the style puzzle type? What's your inspiration?

Thx:1marcviper2boreal3?4funnyleague/bestatgames 5dcxd7fuz/goldop8lifedollar69&10lavalinn

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06 AM »
Here's a puzzle.

You have a one way door which is placed in a way you can't enter. There's a wheel inside the room it leads too. You have a power gluv. So use that power gluv and the ball will open the door from other side and lets you enter.

Credit to Arsalankhan.

Offline Freefallsonic

• Reverser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09 AM »
Here's a puzzle.

You have a one way door which is placed in a way you can't enter. There's a wheel inside the room it leads too. You have a power gluv. So use that power gluv and the ball will open the door from other side and lets you enter.

Credit to Arsalankhan.

don't tell anyone, but that's already in my game ;)

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09 AM »

don't tell anyone, but that's already in my game ;)

Then here's another one.

Perm blocks are blocking you and use the wheel to hit the perm switch.

Offline Freefallsonic

• Reverser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 05:13 AM »
Then here's another one.

Perm blocks are blocking you and use the wheel to hit the perm switch.
I never knew wheels could activate permblocks
thanks for that

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15 AM »
I never knew wheels could activate permblocks
thanks for that

You're welcome.

Offline wordigirl

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 06:42 AM »
If it's like this, and we're all just randomly throwing ideas out there, then here.

Mazes.
Make mazes using tunnels or platforms. Hide crystals in different areas, or make fake exits/trapdoors/booby traps etc.

Villains.
Make links on baddies so that when you defeat evils, doors unlock.

Teleporters.
I love these. Make different teleportals lead to several semi-identical parallel worlds with slight differences. Each one can contain switches and levers, all of which must be activated in order to pass the level.

Element bricks/weapons.
Use different material blocks to seclude areas, require players to find hidden weapons to destroy the obstacles.

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:36 AM »
If it's like this, and we're all just randomly throwing ideas out there, then here.

Mazes.
Make mazes using tunnels or platforms. Hide crystals in different areas, or make fake exits/trapdoors/booby traps etc.

Villains.
Make links on baddies so that when you defeat evils, doors unlock.

Teleporters.
I love these. Make different teleportals lead to several semi-identical parallel worlds with slight differences. Each one can contain switches and levers, all of which must be activated in order to pass the level.

Element bricks/weapons.
Use different material blocks to seclude areas, require players to find hidden weapons to destroy the obstacles.

You just said what I had in mind, but in different varied paragraphs.

Offline blackhole2

• Forever Young
  • Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • Awards For being an outstanding forum member! - from Matty For making intricate games with exactness and perfection - from Rule For making inspiring physic puzzle maker games - from Rule For being a great game artist - from Rule For being a big help to the staff - from General Death Nothing will stop this user from making great platformer games - from JJS For leaving great comments - from Lt. Death We praise your skills - from moolatycoon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14 AM »
hey kido!
I see you need some advice about puzzle plats, let me help you with that.
Making puzzle games is just like chess... forethought prevails. Whenever i used to make games like that, I rather focused on being 3 steps forward than pondering about what will happen in the very present. If you have a good puzzle in mind, good, now think what's going to happen after the player passes through it? And after that? It's like a never-ending cycle which also affects the gameplay (in a good way of course).
Never for a split-second think that creating a decent puzzle game takes little effort. No one started unexpectedly great, you have to work for it. You know... everyone used to be the same. Check out some of my best puzzle plats if you need some inspiration. I know they are unexpectedly hard, but if you pay attention and use your common sense, it should do the trick.

Help Me
Beheaded
Code Breaker
Insomnia

I hope I could enlighten your day with a spark of blackhole-ness! have a nice day

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 05:25 AM »
hey kido!
I see you need some advice about puzzle plats, let me help you with that.
Making puzzle games is just like chess... forethought prevails. Whenever i used to make games like that, I rather focused on being 3 steps forward than pondering about what will happen in the very present. If you have a good puzzle in mind, good, now think what's going to happen after the player passes through it? And after that? It's like a never-ending cycle which also affects the gameplay (in a good way of course).
Never for a split-second think that creating a decent puzzle game takes little effort. No one started unexpectedly great, you have to work for it. You know... everyone used to be the same. Check out some of my best puzzle plats if you need some inspiration. I know they are unexpectedly hard, but if you pay attention and use your common sense, it should do the trick.

Help Me
Beheaded
Code Breaker
Insomnia

I hope I could enlighten your day with a spark of blackhole-ness! have a nice day

Yo Wrath of Cronos has puzzles but you're showing those ones :/

Offline cheesegrater1

• Magnet
  • Grating cheese at the moment
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 06:58 AM »
If you're still making the game I have a suggestion that I created myself in my game "Contrive".

It took me a while to figure out but essentially what it is, is a ball and two of the perm blocks.  You make a hole for the perm blocks to sit in but make it inaccessible for the player.  The ball needs to land and sit on both perm blocks making it constantly switch on... and then off (to make the player unable to go there I suggest making it a "you'll die situation" or use the gluv behind a wall).  This makes it into a possible obstacle course for the player, constantly switching on and off.
Q: What did the blind man say after being handed a cheese grater?
A: "That's the most violent book I've ever read."

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43 AM »
If you're still making the game I have a suggestion that I created myself in my game "Contrive".

It took me a while to figure out but essentially what it is, is a ball and two of the perm blocks.  You make a hole for the perm blocks to sit in but make it inaccessible for the player.  The ball needs to land and sit on both perm blocks making it constantly switch on... and then off (to make the player unable to go there I suggest making it a "you'll die situation" or use the gluv behind a wall).  This makes it into a possible obstacle course for the player, constantly switching on and off.

Whoa this puzzle is unidentified yet secretly innovative inside.

Offline wordigirl

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Permblocks and such are great for puzzles. Using multiple types of blocks/doors/keys in a maze type setup can create intricate labyrinths.

Offline Rocko

• The Combat Veteran
  • Tank
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Permblocks and such are great for puzzles. Using multiple types of blocks/doors/keys in a maze type setup can create intricate labyrinths.

Even switches and keys are useful and you may know it if you just played my game - Cape Canaveral.

Tags: