Sploder Archives > Game Guides

Platformer Theory Guide [Outdated]

7grant2:
THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED AND DOES NOT CONTAIN ALL THE UPDATED MATERIAL. It was made in 2009 after all.

With that said, this guide is bias but it can help you out. I have not taken the liberty to make an updated version. I highly suggest skipping Part 1 of this guide since it is mainly for people who are completely new to the platformer and are not sure about the technical stuff. Part 2 covers the grounds to making your platformer - the part you should read.

Sincerely,
7grant2
 - February 2013

<u>_______________________________________Platformer Theory_______________________________________</u>

Well here it is, the most epic guide on the platformer you will see, or probably ever see in your life. I suggest you grab a bag of chips and a full can of soda before reading, its that long.

NOTE: If I do not cover something you want to know, tell me and I will add it!

______________<u>Table of Contents</u>______________
Part 1 |Basics|

1) Introduction to Part 1
2) Genres
---A) Action
---B) Puzzle
---C) Other
3) Equipment
---A) The Sword and Armor
---B) Shooting and Grenades
---C) The Grapple and Glove
4) Enemies
---A) Light Enemies
---B) Medium Enemies
---C) Heavy Enemies
5) Scenery
---A) Importance
---B) Creating Scenery
6) Obstacles
---A) Part 1
---B) Part 2
7) Statistics
---A) Enemy Statistics
---B) Player Statistics

Part 2 |Theory|

1) Introduction to Part 2
2) Understanding the concept of Theories
3) Understanding Fun of Platformers
---A) Main Site vs Forums
---B) Difficulties
4) <a href='http://www.sploder.info/comments.php?DiscussionID=38300&page=1#Comment_418074'>Crouching Ninja, hidden Thor</a>
---A) Enemy Placement
---B) Numbers
5) Hook, Line, Sinker
---A) Understanding Weapons
---B) Understanding Equipment
---C) Understanding Your Character
6) Where there's a Will, there's a way
---A) Unwanted glitches and bypassing
---B) Using them to your Will
7) Creating the Game
---A) Where to Start
---B) Transmitting Knowledge
8) Impact
9) Naming Your Game
10) Platformer Theories
---A) Proven Theories
---B) Un-Proven Theories
11) Boss Theory

7grant2:
1.______________________Introduction to Part 1______________________

Right now, you are reading this guide and are expecting me to tell you how to create an awesome game that will dominate with a 10/10 rating. I am here to tell you this is wrong, this guide is meant to help you understand what it takes to make a good game on the platformer, and very important things you need to know before starting on your epic quest to become the top five game makers. If you don't think hard on platformers, now is the chance to start with the help of this guide. Now that that's out of the way, our next paragraph will tell you about Part 1 in Platformer Theory.

Well, in order to create a game using Platformer Theory, you have to know a few things before you get started. You read the table of contents and probably said, "oh I already know about so and so enemies and such", but if you don't completely understand them, your a fish out of water. I will guide you through all the physical aspects of creating a game, not how to create it. If you think your a complete dominate master and know everything there is about the platformer, you can skip Part 1, but I highly suggest reading it once so you know how I will explain things.

2._____________________Genres of the Platformer_____________________

Well the very first thing you need to know before starting any game is to know what type of game you are doing. No, we are not talking about crystals and destroy all enemies, but the very way it is built. Depending on what you add, how long the game is, and about anything you add effects what Genre it will turn out to be. I will be listing them next.

Action: By far the most popular game variant made in sploder. Action is the absolute basics of a game, if it is not anything else, it is to be considered action. Most of these games are mainly fighting your way to the crystal or destroying all of the enemies. Since this is the very basic variant, it is overly abused in many ways so that most action games are pitiful. You must put effort into making these or else it will may a bad game.

Puzzles: The second most popular variant is the Puzzle game. In these games, thinking is involved into finishing the game. Puzzles must consist of at least one of the following; mazes, traps, switches, and any combination of "puzzling" ideas put into a game. Since the platformer is a newer game maker, many puzzle ideas have not yet been made, but awaiting their arrival in a game. These game generally take much thought into making if it is worth playing.

Other: The "Other" variants are only made by forum members for they are a challenge to make. The three that will most likely be used by the platformer are Adventure, Stealth, and possibly Good and Evil. Adventure games take the Action variant and add several things. These include adding optional areas usually and a spread out area. Don't get me wrong, this one is a doosy to make. Stealth in the concept of avoiding all enemies at all costs, thus adding a new suspence to the game. Enemy placement is crucial in this variant. Good and Evil is when you are given the choice to do something that will help people, or harm them, all leading to different results.

Seems you get the General idea on the Genres, now let's jump to our next subject of Weapons and Equipment.

To Table of Contents

7grant2:
3.____________________Weapons and Equipment____________________

Another important feature it to know about the weapons in the game. If you have no idea on what they do and how they do it, then you can be left with an impossible battle or a walk in the park. I will be explaining them so that you understand how they work.

NOTE: You will see a chart of the statistics of your character, do not worry if you don't how much damage each weapon can do.

The Sword and Armor: The first weapon you get is the trusty sword and your favorite wooden shield. The sword has no ammo limit which is why it is the weapon of choice among 1v1 battles. While such advantages have weaknesses, for the sword can only attack up close and personal, thus making certain battles against Thors grueling. In most battles including the Thors, a Shield is with you at the very start. Of course it is basic wooden shield, but provides hefty protection at the price of speed. The better upgrades shield also reaps greater protection. See statistics on how much it protects. Now the new updates have brought armor into the equation. Each set of armor is better then the one before, thus making you resist more punishment. While having armor is nice, it can also make games way too easy.

Shooting and Grenades: So the Sword is just not the weapon of your choice? Well you can grab a nice Gun and blast some enemies off their socks. This weapons is accurate, but if enemies are moving vertically a lot, you are bound to miss. In most cases, people just go John Wayne and run into a room full of enemies shooting like no tomorrow. Now of course if you grab the new Blast Gun going John Wayne is not a bad idea. Its three ubllet spread If you like the big boy weapons, better grab a Rail Gun and some Grenades. Rail Guns are very powerful, and usually takes 1-2 hits to kill something. But this has one drawback, ammo is very limited in most cases. The Grenade IS a one hit kill on most light and medium enemies, so don't hesitate to throw them. A couple of cons though is that you can slightly hurt yourself in the process, and the grenades to not blow up until about 5 seconds after throwing. Another weapon you come across is the Flamethrower, in which you spray flames in the direction you are facing. While it has limited range, its power is amazing and can kill most enemies in a matter of seconds. One major issue though is that ammo is limited and not visible, and will run out without you knowing.

The Grapple, Glove, and Jetpack: The two pieces of equipment are the Grapple and Glove, and very useful always. The grapple can grab onto a tile of any kind and you can swing around and pull yourself toward or away from the object and still hang around. This has little effect in battles usually, unless you must use the grapple to get somewhere and enemies are along the way. The not commonly used Glove is very powerful but not in the damaging way. You can pick up any movable object and move it around using the arrow keys. You can drop enemies into oblivion, or maybe push a wheel into a switch that leads to a crystal. The jetpack is used to propel you into the air and maneuver your way around obstacles. That is basically all it can do.

To Table of Contents

7grant2:
4.________________________Enemies________________________

Well if you don't know much about the enemies, then things can go wrong fast. If you do not want to end up with a game that is way too easy, or just plain impossible, you have to know your enemies like the back of your hand. This invaluable skill of knowing your thing sets into everything in the platformer, so let's start with some enemies!

Light Enemies: The light enemies are those who are fast, agile, but offer less damage and have less health. These consist of the Bats and the Ninjas. While being small, the Bats are often hard to kill and while you try to kill them, they fly away. Being hard to kill, they have little health so one nice sword swing does the trick. These enemies are not recommended in fights with big battles. Ninjas are the most agile enemy, for the are always on the move and allows them to actually avoid some of your attacks. These ninjas are great for those "filler" areas where you want to place an enemy.

Medium Enemies: The medium enemies are strong and have decent ammount of health, but lack speed and the ability to dodge most attacks. These include Thugs, Snarlies, and Thors. The Thug is actually in the middle of light and medium, but since these enemies carry shields, they can survive much longer and are placed here. These guys typically will run up next to you and start slashing, then crouch stabbing you with its defence raised. If you let the Thugs get too close, they may end up hard to kill. Snarlies are not very effective at fighting now, but they provide an almost constant stream of fire breath that takes down your health fast. They have a lot of health, but are easy to kill if alone, so they are best in groups of light enemies. The Thor is the big bad guy that will deck your health down extremely fast. Since Thors pack such a big punch, they are better left alone, or more effective in very small groups of light enemies.

Heavy Enemies: The heavy enemies are the strongest of all, and are considered bosses in certain situations. They are extremely powerful, strong, but lack speed and jumping capabilities. These include George, Kikuchiyo, and the Fire Troll. The weakest one has to be George. While he is just as big as the Fire Troll is, he does not have as much health and his attacks are inaccurate. Next up is Kikuchiyo, who is basically an upgraded Ninja. This person is capable of dodging your attacks while keeping incredible power. These guys are dangerous with other people, but alone is not as much as a challenge. Finally is the Fire Troll, the hardest enemy on sploder. With the best armor and good weapons, this enemy is sure to drain your health down. Be careful placing these guys, because going over two is a near suicide mission.

To Table of Contents

7grant2:
<u>5.________________________Scenery________________________</u>

Well you are going to have to make scenery at least once in your life, so why not make it the best it can be? When you want to add scenery, you better know what your doing or else it could look like meatloaf, so this guide here is going to tell you the importance of scenery and how to make it! Now let's get started with why it is important.

<u>The Importance of Scenery</u>: Now from the get go people are going to judge how your platformer looks. When you made original games, did you make them lopsided? How about uneven? The same goes with the platformer, you don't want these games looking like garbage even though it may be epic. So mark this one thing in your little notebook your carrying right now; people do judge how they look and scenery can help with that. In fact the main purpose of scenery it to portray what you are trying to show. Like lets say your plane crashes in a jungle, and you only use the stone backround, does that really look like a jungle? I think not, so I suggest you put some time and effort into adding a little something to make the game worth looking at.

<u>Creating Scenery</u>: Its simple really, all scenery is basically your style to the game. Add a few different textures here and there, you got scenery. But of course, that is very basic stuff, we want to see some real good looking stuff out there! Well the main thing about scenery is BE CREATIVE! The way I do scenery is imagine the thing your trying to build, lets say a dark, scary dungeon. Do you think I will be using bright colors like pink, no. So we know its going to be dark, and scariness we will turn down the brightness and put underground so its even spookier. Now do you get the idea? Let the tiles, lighting, and other stuff represent what your building.

<u>Advanced scenery</u>: Backgrounds to the game are the most important feature . First off, never use the same back wall in a single area for advanced scenery. This will make the area look more original, and probably more like what your are trying to build. Use objects that are similar to each other, like lava and ice usually don't mix well with scenery. When you are changing backgrounds over a period of blocks (Lets say you want a nice smooth hills to a volcano), you must slowly add textures and blend. If you simply put a wall of different tiles, it looks unnatural, but blended it looks more like a real ground area. Experimenting is the key to scenery. You must try new things that nobody else has tried. Put some objects together that seem awkward, put these styles of textures together and make a new area! This is the key to making scenery for your specific game. Another VERY important trick to use is pre-placing blocks. Right now you are wondering what the heck am I talking about, I will explain. It is placing tiles of every kind of tile you think or might use. To see a pictures, go to the following links listed below.

Scenery Pictures!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Meteor.jpg A crater!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Waterway.jpg A waterway!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Waterway2.jpg An underground waterway!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Beam.jpg A factory!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Swamp.jpg A swamp!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/7grant2/Blocks.jpg

<a href='http://www.sploder.info/comments.php?DiscussionID=38300'>To Table of Contents</a>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version