Author Topic: Let’s Get Those Binoculars On Our Eyes – A Review of Arcade Mania by denion789  (Read 576 times)

Offline sparrowblue

• Burbyboy the Jujitzuist
  • Guard
  • Oh.Don't touch me there.This is my no no square.
I am the host of Sploder Game Reviews and I came across a game on episode 3 of this series and I thought it had a lot of potential and it would be interesting to review. This game is for EGD 13 and when I looked at the thumbnail it hooked me in as it was very decorative with bushes and grass hills so I decided to click on and get that arcade feeling.

Let’s see how the obstacles were and the gameplay was first. The gameplay had a range of different obstacles like bee nests next to the ouchy plants which went up and down and mushrooms going down with spikes underneath them and you having to run down. These obstacles are creative as well and more thoughtful obstacles are better and are normally more fun for the player to do. Thoughtful gameplay also amazes the player and players will probably really like being amazed. This game has a lot to offer to the player and has lots of gameplay which will keep the player engaged as there is new things and not repeated things plus players will get bored if they see the same things. There were some parts of the game that was just platforming and it wasn’t that creative. Platforming is fine but too much of it can probably make some players bored and I was getting bored of that and tired of it. Repeated gameplay just shows that the creator just got tired and wasn’t putting that much effort into the game and minimal effort can make the gameplay not nearly as good as gameplay where the creator does actually put a lot of effort in. You can fix repeated gameplay by ading new dynamics that are creative in that repeated gameplay and not repeating gameplay that much or at all. I liked the idea of collectables that you have to put some effort into get as collectables can get you points so you can upgrade things and the player will be happy that they put some effort into getting something and it turned out okay plus they will get rewarded for it in the future. There are many examples of collectables being hidden or being there so the player has to put some effort into getting it like a treasure chest being in the lava and you having to get a shield to go in the lava to get the things in the treasure chest in the game and you have to be quick as well. I got discouraged by this element though as it was really hard to get out of the lava and there is no point having a collectable there if people can’t be bothered to get it because it is too unfair to get it. You can fix this by dragging the platforms down more but not in the lava that the player can easily jump on. There was a lot of effort put into making the gameplay as there was link logic in places like having to defeat enemies to open up a barrier and hitting a switch so a water spout will appear so the player can go up a water spout to go past a few ouchy plants to get to a coin. Link logic does require effort and denion789 making it so that you have to fight some of the enemies makes it so that most of the gameplay isn’t pointless and that there is more gameplay to the game. There should be more advanced link logic though as denion789 just used basic link logic. Basic link logic is just making 1 event happen after the other but advanced link logic is making multiple events happen at once. You can do a lot more with advanced link logic and the advanced link logic could’ve made the fights more interesting as denion789 could’ve made lots of blocks crunch up with you having to dodge things when they go down with 2 enemies being spawned. This is just an idea though and there are lots more things you can do with advanced link logic. A lack of advanced link logic or no advanced link logic shows that the creator could’ve put much more effort into the game but I think even without advanced link logic then a Sploder arcade game still requires effort so I think it is not that bad if you don’t use advanced link logic. There were 2 paths in 1 level which gives the player more choice which will probably make them more comfortable and players normally really like choosing what to do in games. I really wanted this idea to be used more though as then most players can be comfortable and can be interested as this is an interesting dynamic.

Now let’s spy on Sparrowblue’s thoughts on how the game looked. The game looked okay in my opinion but there could’ve been much more to it. There was lots of empty spaces in the scenery which is bad as this can get boring to look at for the players. It is very dull as well and the players probably don’t want to look at something that doesn’t really please them. I got tired of looking at repeated clouds as well and the game’s look didn’t really amaze me and it wasn’t anything that special. You can fix this by filling in those spaces with something that is nice to look at and is creative. There was just some bushes and hills in some of the levels with a few trees with them being a bit apart and there being clouds. Lots and lots of clouds were all over this game. There were some levels that had some textures which looked nice and having textures can make it so that there are more of a variety of platforms and that there are more things to look at that can be nice to look at. It is good that most of the textures didn’t confuse the players as most of the textures were quite fitting to the level with there being cold places with blue and green rocks that looked frosty and icy. Confusion is not good on the players and players will start to question the scenery in a bad way. Textures that fit in also mean that they are not random and random textures show that there is not that much thought put into how the game looks and scenery without thought can look messed up plus can make the game unbearable to look at which is really unfair on the player .There was not that much creativity in the scenery as there were just some scenery objects with there not being textures used to make objects. Denion789 could’ve made his own mushrooms by using a white textured bush with red platforms at the top of it. There was some creativity in the game like a black background and some stars to make it look like a night sky. This can really interest the player and players being interested means the scenery is appealing to them and the scenery getting the player’s attention is good as then there is a good reason for that scenery to be there. The scenery also was apart of the gameplay as there were some rocky mountains with some textured things that looked like rocks which ascended up and down and the layout of the map can really add up to the gameplay plus you can have a new experience with how you move plus the layout of the map can add so many new obstacles. Lots of obstacles engage the player to keep playing and players getting to a far point in the game will be nice for them. Denion789 did add new creative obstacles which were made possible by the layout of the map and the location which was a mountain sight helped the gameplay to be apart of the scenery. The players can play the game while having something interesting to look at which is apart of an obstacle. The mountain idea with the obstacles it had to offer had a bit of thought put into it as well.

Why are we getting past all these obstacles in the 1st place? The story is simple but it was that simple that it made the story sweet and a classic one. Classic things can create nostalgia and nostalgia can be really nice for the player. You are an adventurer who is travelling around different places. That’s it but there was something at the end that was part of the story and it was a major part of the story that I didn’t get to see which was really disappointing and this disappointment made me a bit sad. Denion789 should add more things to the story and introduce things a lot faster as I was really disappointed at what I got from the story. Players that are not that good at playing games like this will not be able to see most of the game which will mean they won’t get to find out that much about the story which can make things not that interesting for them. Things that are not interesting do not engage the player. Denion789 can fix this by having more things added to the story that are interesting and make the game have more tension which will get the player really engaged in the game. Tension can get the players more involved with the game and this can be really good for the game creator. There was just things being introduced at the start of the levels and there was not lots of things that were apart of the story that was at other parts of the level that are not the introduction. Small things being introduced at the start of the level that are involved with the story can make the game’s story very forgettable and is a shame really as this can make the players see no point in it and you should want your players to remember your game as that makes the game really special plus making something stand out to the story. The story is not really that creative either and the players don’t get that bothered about the story which makes lots of the dialogue and parts of the story pointless and this is just really negative as things should really have a reason to be there. The story is a bit exciting though and the scenery was part of the story a lot as the adventurer is at these unique places and these places have a meaning on why there are here and different unique places normally amaze the player. Adventuring can be quite exciting for people and the story being about adventuring can really excite the player and it is good that players have this happy feeling. Players normally want to be happy. There just could’ve been a lot more to this adventure to make this adventure more exciting and stand out from other games. Things that stand out can make games much better than other games.

It’s time to put the difficulty aspect on the balance board as we’re finding out if the difficulty is balanced. The game was quite balanced in difficulty as there was health in some places which would make sure that the player will not be close to dying after completing a hard part. This can be rewarding as well for things that take effort to do which can really make the player feel happy and it makes them feel like they have done something good. The game was quite medium as well with there being a few hard parts like jumping and shooting target switches with some hard platforming. The placement of things was not that good sometimes though with there being some small platforms when you have to do platforming which can be too hard to do and something that is too hard that is at the beginning of the game can mean that there is not gradual increase in difficulty which can really make the game too unbalanced in difficulty and it can make the player feel really uncomfortable. There was this part with ouchy plants where there were too many of them and this is near to being not possible for people and it is not in the middle of the game but this is good in a way as you get a reward if you do and it is optional so this does make the player more comfortable and makes the difficulty more balanced. Most people like being able to choose as well so this is a positive. The collectable in the lava part is another example that is very similar to these cactuses on the hill obstacle. The more times this kind of thing is used unbalances the difficulty a lot. Some parts were too easy with the platforming nearly halfway through the game is not really a challenge at all and requires little effort for people to put in.Denion789 can fix this by adding more obstacles in the platforming that are a bit more harder to get past than the platforming without them. Most people don’t feel proud of doing this that are too easy for them and they don’t feel like that they have accomplished that much and easy platforming was used a lot so this makes the obstacles have less of a purpose than they could have. There should be an extra lives crystal as well so players can keep on trying on that level and having this can make players realise what they have done wrong and what they have to do next with it being much less annoying. This also makes the game much more easier as then the player doesn’t have to start the game all over again. An extra lives crystal is a crystal that makes extra lives and is created by linking a crystal to an extra life by using link logic. Most players get bored of getting past the same obstacles over and over again and this just makes the game be hard in a very annoying way. Annoying things have a very negative impact on most people. A challenge should be a challenge that people can be comfortable with and not something that is just too hard to do for people and is not even a proper challenge as the players if the players can’t even get past it.

Positives of this game.

* There was a big variety of gameplay.

* There were some creative obstacles.

* There were lots of rewards for the players known as collectables.

* The player had a choice on where to go once or twice.

* There was some link logic

* The scenery was very fitting to the level.

* Some of the skies were creative.

* Some of the textures were nice to look at.

* The story was a classic one.

* The story was an exciting one.

* The difficulty was quite balanced in most areas.

Negatives of this game.

* There were gameplay elements being repeated a lot.

* The gameplay dragged on a bit.

* There was not that much effort put into making some of the gameplay.

* There were lots of blank areas in the scenery.

* The scenery was not really that creative.

* The scenery was repeated a lot.

* The story was too basic

* The story is not that creative.

* The story is not that tense.

* The game was a bit unbalanced in difficulty in some areas.

There was no extra lives crystal in all areas.

Sploder Game Reviews Scores

Gameplay – 8/10

Scenery – 6/10

Story – 7/10

Balanced Difficulty – 9/10

Overall Score – 30/40

Review Score

Gameplay – 3.5/5(There were some creative parts but things dragged on and things were repeated a lot.)

Scenery – 3/5(The scenery was fitting to the location but needed to be more creative and scattered all over the level.)

Story – 3/5(The story was an original one and an exciting story but needed to be developed in a better way and there needed to be more to it)

Balanced Difficulty – 4/5(The game was quite balanced in difficulty but some areas were a bit not balanced in difficulty and the game could’ve been built up in difficulty more)

Overall - 3.75/5(This game was good and had lots of potential but there are lots of blank spaces and the game drags on.)

In Conclusion, this game is a good game which had lots of potential to be even better. Some of the ideas were very creative and there are lots of skills that Denion789 has that he needs to build up on. The reason why I did this as my ‘reviewer application’(review that will be put on the sploder main site by another username if it is good enough and my test to see if my reviews will be able to be put up on the sploder main site by other usernames) is because of how much potential this game had. Some of the scenery was nice but needed to be filled in in some places more and have more to it. The story has a foundation that can be built upon by denion789.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:41 am by sparrowblue »
From your friend, sparrow.:D

Online Ethan2009

• Idk
  • TRASH
  • Disruptor
  • idk
Idunno

Offline canyoumakeit13

• 🗿🗿🗿
  • Guard
  • My god!

Offline sparrowblue

• Guard
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:58 pm by sparrowblue »

Offline deion789

• The legendary BlueSmoke, only drunk.
  • Launcher
  • Play Vibrant Venture by Semag Games
nice, criticism taken
I love music and I make music too.
I also love video games and I'm probably working on my own indie game too. I hope I get to finish someday though.

Here's my shizz if anyone's interested (this isnt finished since im on a 3DS):
Bandcamp: https://thebluesmoke.bandcamp.com

Offline Rocky

• AKA Thunder ViperX
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Disruptor
  • reddit r/cricket is nightmare
    • Thunder Viper X
Accepted.
Becoz it's big

Hit straight at the "___"

Offline sparrowblue

• Guard
Accepted.
Becoz it's big

Could you not be bothered to read all of it?lol.  :))

Offline Rocky

• AKA Thunder ViperX
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Disruptor
  • reddit r/cricket is nightmare
    • Thunder Viper X
Could you not be bothered to read all of it?lol.  :))

Denied.
Bad behaviour

Hit straight at the "___"

Offline sparrowblue

• Guard

Offline aprivatebydefault

• t
  • Mortar
  • T E H G A N A G A M R C O H D E N A M E
Wow.
That should be your reviewer application
T E H G A N A G A M R

Join my forum: https://forumghanagamer.createaforum.com/index.php?action=profile

I like writing