Sploder > Sploder Games

How to make a sploder game (INCOMPLETE)

E T H N:
How to make a Sploder Game!

Hello everyone! It is I, a failure, and the person that spent 10 hours a day on sploder so that I could get the most features in 2019! Today I will be explaining how I make my garbage games. I hope it benefits you since it took me really long to write :).

General Technique:
There is a hidden pattern in every good sploder game no matter the creator. They follow a general rule, although it may not be obvious. In nearly any game, there are a few key features that make it good. Let’s get into it right here.

The first thing that defines the boundaries between an average game and a good game and a great one is the sense of spacing and placement. Now, what do I mean by this?
Imagine you have a game. A platformer, to be precise. There are 3 thug enemies in a row followed by 2 ninjas in a straight path. There are 2 terrible flaws that stand out in this scenario. The enemies are not spaced out, and thus will attack each other, and the placement is horrible. A straight line of enemies is NOT fun. It is a tedious task to spam spacebar while holding out your shield, and will not give the player any reason to continue playing. Always keep in mind that it is the player’s choice to play the game, and they can quit whenever they see a flaw that really bugs them. Make your game enthrall its player
The second thing that you must make sure happens is including health, powerups, and an incentive for the player. Now your game, like some on the site, might be a “one-hit” game where you take one hit and die. That does not mean you need to put health in those types of games. However, where there is a lack of health, should be an excess of SOMETHING to keep the player going. (Such as a mouse gun, mace, etc.) A hard game is not always a good game, and a balanced difficulty is better than both a game too easy and one too hard.

Tip: try to make the player have a goal at the end of the game. A storyline helps the player keep going if it is a good one.

Add your own touch, is my third step to a successful game. DO NOT copy every idea from another game and repeat it in yours. Having some ideas that you did not come up with is fine, but you want to make sure that your player has a fun time while in your game and one way to do that is by adding something original that people enjoy to play with and like seeing new ideas rather than the same old enemy or puzzle sequences.

Tip: NEVER add traps that end the entire game; especially not late into a game. This will make many players quit your game and not ever want to play your games again. That’s not an exaggeration either…

Now let’s get into specific game creators!

Platformer:
Ah! The platformer creator! My EGD game was a platformer, and I love how creative you can be with this! Plat is objectively the best creator for puzzles and helpful glitches, and people come up with new ideas every day for this creator. The main types of plats are:
Action
Adventure
Puzzle
RPG
(and more, of course)

For every type of game for every creator, there are key aspects making the game into something great.
For instance, if you are making an action game, make sure the enemy placement is fine.
Instead of doing this, (), try an approach to enemy placement such as this () which removes a possible death trap while still keeping the same idea within the game. Additionally, instead of having enemy placement such as this (), with 2 overlapping enemies, try something like this () instead! In the last screenshot shown, the ninja will shoot at you while you fight the two thugs, forcing you to choose to be strategic rather than shield and sword spamming. In an action game, make sure that your enemies are chosen to be killed by the player rather than allowing the player to simply jump over the enemy without even trying.

Adventure games can often be overlooked and classified as action games although they have a few key differences. Many RPGs and adventure games can blend. The sidequests force you to adventure, often, and you follow the story of an RPG. One great adventure game is Ryspo, by sto4, linked here (http://www.sploder.com/games/members/sto4/play/ryspo-3/). It has elements of an action game while forcing you to adventure around the map, searching for switches, keys, and hidden powerups. In any sidequest, offer a good incentive that will make up for the lost health on the way.

Puzzle games! The type of game that forces you to think outside of the box, and sometimes make you try to literally escape a box. Good puzzle games make their own ideas and don’t copy every idea from other games. Some aspects of a plat that can be used in puzzles are grenades, power gluvs, ninjas, sand blocks, water, ladders, elevators, sliders, Archers, and more. A good puzzle game is Realm of Mind by sto4, linked here (http://www.sploder.com/games/members/sto4/play/realm-of-mind/). A good puzzle game will make you think, while sometimes abusing glitches and hidden bugs in the creator. There are many puzzles still not discovered so don’t think making a puzzle game solely based on new ideas is impossible!

RPGs! A fun game based on story and adventure. As I said in the adventure category, “[an RPG or adventure game should have] elements of an action game while forcing you to adventure around the map, searching for switches, keys, and hidden powerups. In any sidequest, offer a good incentive that will make up for the lost health on the way.” This should hold true in most RPGs. If you lose half of your health, the reward gained from sidequests should make up for it. Additionally, along your path of exploration and story, make sure to add enemies, puzzles, or something fun to hold the attention of the player. Some good RPGs have been made by both Mat7772 and Moolatycoon. Check them out if you want a prime example.

The Classic creator:

The oldest creator in sploder! The classic creator features many action-packed, one-hit, and interesting puzzle games.

Some key aspects of a classic sploder game are using switches and other objects wisely. There are many bugs centered around things like pollies and pushers, and make sure to take advantage of them in any classic puzzle game.

One main aspect of classic games is enemy placement. Good enemy placement includes possibly fighting multiple enemies. Often times after finishing these enemies, there will be a reward such as health, a powerup, or a key to move on.

One tactic in making a shooter is to start out with a thumbnail and immediate action such as follows. () Although this may seem abrupt, it is an easy way to start off a classic game.

Tip: All or almost all classic games in the EGL revolve around new ideas. Creating a revolutionary idea with good gameplay, scenery, and other ideas to back it up will almost guarantee a feature and possibly beyond. To create a new idea, try to experiment with various objects inside of the creator. You can also look at existing games and existing ideas for inspiration or to tweak them a bit to create your own touch on these existing ideas.
Some revolutionary classic games are:
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/undeadspider/play/chain-reaction-battle-re-mix-3/
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/darut1234/play/him-the-enraged/
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/obeliskos/play/the-one/
Spacing out enemies and sequences is also important. All of the above games do a wonderful job with it. Always keep this in mind while creating your game.

~ Color of your game ~
In the classic creator, you can change the floor color. It honestly doesn’t matter much but you can definitely use it to your advantage.
Some basic colors for classic games are:
Red for action-packed fast games
Green for slow exploration games
Pink for puzzle games

Now, of course you don’t have to follow it, but it is something you may keep in mind.

Boss battles
In a classic game, you can create a boss by adding mojos to an enemy and going over the health bar limit. This could give a boss hundreds more health than normal, but make sure to test how much health the boss has before releasing it so that it is beatable and not overly tedious.

Doubling up spider keys is a way to make a boss battle. Adding 3 or more should require a nitro, an excess of health, or other powerups. Realise that using mortars and bugmeisters can also damage these spider keys so be careful of the placement of these objects so that they do not interfere with one another.

KOPTRs, Morugas, electropedes, centipedes, and more can be used as viable bosses in the classic creator.

Drone turrets can be very deadly, or way too helpful. Be careful with how you use them; in boss battles or in general.

Make sure you test your classic game thoroughly so that you can strike a balance between easy and hard by how you give your health.

ARCADE CREATOR
It's been awhile since i updated this! Sorry about that! But here, we will have the arcade creator.
Link Logic: Link logic is very complex. It is used to trigger another event after completing a current one. Examples of the link logic in my games are as follows:

As you can see here, link logic is complicated, and will connect various events to trigger one another. And/Nand Logic is used to connect multiple variables in order to make sure the player triggers both in order to start up a new event. If you have various variables, the And/Nand Logic is the way to go. The Or/Nor Logic is used mostly in cases where there are 2 variables and you need for the player to trigger another event. Many times they are used with enemies in order to turn off barriers.
UNDERSTANDING NOT:

Not logic is used to have the player trigger the opposite of what the event would normally do. It is used in many cases with switches to do the opposite of their job, but also used for enemies so that they can turn on and off certain objects that they usually wouldn't. Not versions are as follow:

And ---> NAND
Or ---> NOR
Switches:

There are various switches in the arcade creator.
In each world, there is a visible on and off switch, a temp on and off switch, and an invis on and off switch. The visible and invisible switches have the same jobs, but you obviously cannot see the invisible ones. The temporary on and off switches are used to trigger an event for a certain length of time. It is also possible to trigger the opposite of switches linked event by using not, and you can trigger more events using link connects.
UNDERSTANDING LINK CONNECTS:

Link connects are used to trigger many events using one trigger connected to the links, which are then connected to each object.
Target switches:
Trigger ONLY when Magic hits it.
Important objects:
Barriers, blocks, and ouch plants are all used to prevent the player from moving on without completing the necessary event. There are also doors in the tech world, and different looks to each or every world. Some blocks can break when stepped on, others break when magic or an enemy attack hits them.
UNDERSTANDING TRIGGERS AND BLOCKS:

Triggers are used to time events, or start an event on their own. They are often paired with blocks in order to start and stop each event at any given time. They are useful in many games such as a step too far and prophecy.
Story elements, health and more:
Story elements are used to convey a message to a character. NPCs also benefit this area.

Infinite lives are given when a spawner is linked to a heart.

WILL ADD MORE FOR EACH WORLD SOON.

Bolsillos:

--- Quote from: Geekthan on April 13, 2020, 05:12 pm ---Tip: NEVER add traps that end the entire game; especially not late into a game. This will make many players quit your game and not ever want to play your games again. That’s not an exaggeration either…

--- End quote ---
Fawk. I did that in some of my later games.

Anyways...wonderful guide, Ethan!!!

Also, sticky.

Awesomefinnz:
kewl!

--- Quote ---Boss battles
In a classic game, you can create a boss by adding mojos to an enemy and going over the health bar limit. This could give a boss hundreds more health than normal, but make sure to test how much health the boss has before releasing it so that it is beatable and not overly tedious.

Doubling up spider keys is a way to make a boss battle. Adding 3 or more should require a nitro, an excess of health, or other powerups. Realise that using mortars and bugmeisters can also damage these spider keys so be careful of the placement of these objects so that they do not interfere with one another.

KOPTRs, Morugas, electropedes, centipedes, and more can be used as viable bosses in the classic creator.

Drone turrets can be very deadly, or way too helpful. Be careful with how you use them; in boss battles or in general.
--- End quote ---
that is extremely helpful man, thanks!

Rocky:
Somehow this actually helped me..  8)

swedenplatformge:
I appreciate the effort you put into this. However, I'm curious about what action game you'd define as good on the sploder plat? It would be really cool if you could finish this thread in a proper form. Since a lot of *cough* newbies on sploder need your input and support, which people like me personally admire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version