Author Topic: Trimming the forum (IMPORTANT)  (Read 853 times)

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • My Name is Ozymandias
Trimming the forum (IMPORTANT)
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:16 am »
Hi y'all.

So to keep it short, the forum is too large for what our current active user base is. I'll be working Bolsillos in merging and archiving boards that are not that active anymore.

EDIT by Bolsillos: We probably we also be removing the Video Game, Anime, Music, and Personal Exhibition boards, and perhaps make stickied threads in General for each subject.
However, before we do that, we want your input.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:15 am by Bolsillos »

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
Re: Trimming the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:53 am »
I don't think the Basic Training board is necessary anymore. Most tutorials there are redundant or go unused. The important threads (like rule threads) could be moved to Announcements, and game creation tutorials to Game Discussion Sploder Games.

The Barracks should become a sub-board of General.

These are just my opinions.

Also, I appreciate the effort you guys are making to keep the forum as active as possible, but, as the board moderator, it would have been nice to know that the Sploder Games and Game Discussion boards would be merged.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
  • Don't be a hater, be a tater!
    • The Bohobemeister (my YouTube channel)
Re: Trimming the forum (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:16 am »
I just stickied this and edited the first post to include more stuff.

That's what Bohobes look like.

Sherlock Holmes from Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Ace Attorney)

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 11:22 am »
Responding to your edits in 7grant2's post:

- I agree with removing the Anime & Manga board.
- Get in contact with me about the Video Games board. Part of what I had planned for my "Board Change" in Sploder Games was to merge that into it.
- Music board should be merged with Personal Exhibition.
- Most of all, do not get rid of Personal Exhibiton! This would be a bad move in my opinion. I know it is a little underused, but there aren't many places to share our own content anymore here (especially with boards like Music and other boards going away). We do need one centralised place to share our stuff, and Personal Exhibition is it.

As for the stickied threads thing: bad idea. General is already getting very cluttered with stickied threads (in fact these really need to be sorted in my opinion). This needs further thought.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:25 am »
I don't think the Basic Training board is necessary anymore. Most tutorials there are redundant or go unused. The important threads (like rule threads) could be moved to Announcements, and game creation tutorials to Game Discussion Sploder Games.
I think we should keep the board. While it's true that (currently) most tutorials there are going unused, that's only because everyone here already knows this stuff. Add on to that, but having a board where new people can make threads to introduce themselves would make it easier for people to meet new members on the forums (whenever we get them).

However, perhaps moving the tutorials dedicated to game creation to Sploder Games would be a good idea.
I think it's better to keep it a hidden board that you have to request access to. The reason being is that if we make it a public board, then people who don't want to see "mature" topics would be unhappy.

Yes, most users here are okay with that stuff, but the keyword is "most". We want to keep the forums suitable for everyone.
Also, I appreciate the effort you guys are making to keep the forum as active as possible, but, as the board moderator, it would have been nice to know that the Sploder Games and Game Discussion boards would be merged.
I'm sorry, I didn't know Grant was going to do that already. If I had known, I would've told you.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 11:29 am »

- Get in contact with me about the Video Games board. Part of what I had planned for my "Board Change" in Sploder Games was to merge that into it.
- Most of all, do not get rid of Personal Exhibiton! This would be a bad move in my opinion. I know it is a little underused, but there aren't many places to share our own content anymore here (especially with boards like Music and other boards going away). We do need one centralised place to share our stuff, and Personal Exhibition is it.
All of that sounds good, except for the part about merging the "Video Games" board with the "Sploder Games" board; however, I'll get in to contact with you about it like you said.
As for the stickied threads thing: bad idea. General is already getting very cluttered with stickied threads (in fact these really need to be sorted in my opinion). This needs further thought.
Yeah, we need to do something about that.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:33 am »
I think we should keep the board. While it's true that (currently) most tutorials there are going unused, that's only because everyone here already knows this stuff. Add on to that, but having a board where new people can make threads to introduce themselves would make it easier for people to meet new members on the forums (whenever we get them).

Getting new members is rare at this time, so I still feel this board is redundant. Plus, most new members usually post their first/welcome threads in the General board anyway. I think this is good, since it ups the activity in General, our main board - which needs to become active.

I think it's better to keep it a hidden board that you have to request access to. The reason being is that if we make it a public board, then people who don't want to see "mature" topics would be unhappy.

I meant it could still be requestable, but as a sub-board. It's also a really underused board. Keeping it as a main board is fine, since the role is requestable and technically speaking you can drop out at any time, but I, for example, have the Soldier rank because I want to see what's going on in the board at times, but it being so underused makes it take up way more space than necessary as a main board.

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • My Name is Ozymandias
Re: Trimming the forum
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 11:43 am »

These are just my opinions.

Sorry about that, I got a bit gun-ho. If we feel its important to have Game Discussion back we can, but I don't think we have enough activity to merit splitting any main site stuff into separate boards.

The current stickied threads in General are planned to be moved to Announcements, where that board will be cleaned up of old threads. I would like to see stickied threads in General be related to discussion only, and maybe like super duper important Announcements. However, I'm fine if we keep Personal Exhibition, but I think the rest need to be removed and made either into 1. a stickied thread or 2. merged into another board.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 11:47 am »
Getting new members is rare at this time, so I still feel this board is redundant. Plus, most new members usually post their first/welcome threads in the General board anyway. I think this is good, since it ups the activity in General, our main board - which needs to become active.
Well, while it's true that getting new members is rare right now, we shouldn't get rid of it just because of that. Remember, we must stay optimistic that we will get new users.

As for members posting their first/welcome threads in the "General" board, which would then increase its activity, I still think it would be better to keep those threads in the "Basic Training" board.
I meant it could still be requestable, but as a sub-board. It's also a really underused board. Keeping it as a main board is fine, since the role is requestable and technically speaking you can drop out at any time, but I, for example, have the Soldier rank because I want to see what's going on in the board at times, but it being so underused makes it take up way more space than necessary as a main board.
Well, if we make it a child board, I feel that the chances of it being used more will be lowered. It is such a unique board in that it has more lenient rules compared to the rest of the forums, so I feel that it would be better to have it be a Board instead of a Child Board so it would get more attention.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 11:49 am »
The current stickied threads in General are planned to be moved to Announcements, where that board will be cleaned up of old threads. I would like to see stickied threads in General be related to discussion only, and maybe like super duper important Announcements. However, I'm fine if we keep Personal Exhibition, but I think the rest need to be removed and made either into 1. a stickied thread or 2. merged into another board.
I agree with all of this.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 12:06 pm »
Sorry about that, I got a bit gun-ho. If we feel its important to have Game Discussion back we can, but I don't think we have enough activity to merit splitting any main site stuff into separate boards.

No worries. I had actually planned to merge the two boards anyway, but I hadn't been able to have the discussion with a General yet.

I agree with moving a bunch of the threads to Announcements. I also agree that stickied threads in General should be solely discussion-related where possible. Board merging is quite important, I think, and I'd also be quite happy to moderate a few extra boards if that would be helpful, as I quite enjoy it and my Sploder Games board doesn't have a lot of activity at this present moment.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 12:09 pm »
Well, while it's true that getting new members is rare right now, we shouldn't get rid of it just because of that. Remember, we must stay optimistic that we will get new users.

I agree that we need to stay very optimistic, however if it was really necessary, couldn't we just add the board back if need be? For now, it's useless, and with it being so high up the boards list, all it does for me is cause me to have to scroll further down to find the boards I want to see.

Well, if we make it a child board, I feel that the chances of it being used more will be lowered. It is such a unique board in that it has more lenient rules compared to the rest of the forums, so I feel that it would be better to have it be a Board instead of a Child Board so it would get more attention.

I understand your point. Again, I don't mind if this change isn't made, since it is a requestable role as I said. I still feel the same way I expressed earlier, though.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 12:25 pm »
I agree that we need to stay very optimistic, however if it was really necessary, couldn't we just add the board back if need be? For now, it's useless, and with it being so high up the boards list, all it does for me is cause me to have to scroll further down to find the boards I want to see.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. What if we make it a child board of Announcements? That way, the board still exists, but it's not in the way.
I understand your point. Again, I don't mind if this change isn't made, since it is a requestable role as I said. I still feel the same way I expressed earlier, though.
Okay.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 12:27 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. What if we make it a child board of Announcements? That way, the board still exists, but it's not in the way.

That would solve the one problem. But then causes another; if it's a sub-board and less seen, new members are less likely to post there. Also, older members are extremely unlikely to view the board at all.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 12:33 pm »
That would solve the one problem. But then causes another; if it's a sub-board and less seen, new members are less likely to post there. Also, older members are extremely unlikely to view the board at all.
Damn. You're right.

Okay. This is a hard change to make. I'll talk to Grant about it.

Offline Rocky

• Thunder-Viper-X
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Disruptor
  • Devastation in my genes
    • Thunder Viper X
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 02:07 pm »
Removing Personal Exhibition and Music is a very bad idea. Maybe Music can be merged into General in terms of discussions (eg. we can discuss the music threads in General, anyway it's a child board) but Personal Exhibition is hugely important for users to showcase their skills and creations in a simple way. My Youtube Channel, Epico's music and other stuff need a place to be advertised in. Think about this. And plus, I don't think we need two boards for Sploder Games. Game Discussion mostly likely needs to be removed. But remember, Personal Exhibition matters.

Brett Lee's 161 kmph delivery

SIX SIXES IN AN OVER!

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 02:12 pm »
Removing Personal Exhibition and Music is a very bad idea. Maybe Music can be merged into General in terms of discussions (eg. we can discuss the music threads in General, anyway it's a child board) but Personal Exhibition is hugely important for users to showcase their skills and creations in a simple way. My Youtube Channel, Epico's music and other stuff need a place to be advertised in. Think about this.
I think we've already agreed to keep the "Music" child board and "Personal Exhibition" board.
And plus, I don't think we need two boards for Sploder Games. Game Discussion mostly likely needs to be removed.
We already merged "Game Discussion" with "Sploder Games".

You're late, Rocky.

Offline Rocky

• Thunder-Viper-X
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Disruptor
  • Devastation in my genes
    • Thunder Viper X
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14 pm »
ICEE. But I am bent on helping this forum and lieutenant will be the final thing I want in the site before its demise. Whether or not that is possible, I guess the latter is the more probable choice.

Brett Lee's 161 kmph delivery

SIX SIXES IN AN OVER!

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 02:22 pm »
ICEE. But I am bent on helping this forum and lieutenant will be the final thing I want in the site before its demise. Whether or not that is possible, I guess the latter is the more probable choice.
Don't you mean "former"? Yes, there's a slight chance you could become a staff member (I did), but in order to become a staff member, you'll first need to help out.

Offline Awesomefinnz

• King of the Undead Empire
  • Disruptor
  • Kyle The Wraith / Awesomefinnz
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30 pm »
I'm late, did I miss anything? Oh and I will be doing the posting in the personal exhibitions every now and then hopefully

As long as it's not memes then ur good to go

Don't make me bring the ghost busters on you pal

I steal soap...

EGD game in progress.

Le status:

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 04:26 pm »
I'm late, did I miss anything?
Yes, you missed Mama Luigi coming and burning down the forums. It took Old Man Jenkins to rebuild the place, but in doing so, he died from all the hard work.

Yes, we made some changes to the forum layout to make it look "neater". Besides that, not much.
Oh and I will be doing the posting in the personal exhibitions every now and then hopefully

As long as it's not memes then ur good to go

Don't make me bring the ghost busters on you pal
:))

Online Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 04:52 pm »
I don’t know about New Member Introductions, I don’t really see it as necessary.

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15 2015

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • My Name is Ozymandias
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 05:09 pm »
I don’t know about New Member Introductions, I don’t really see it as necessary.
Its important that if any new members join they have an entry point into the forum. Bols is trying to get new members onto the forum. Obviously its only meant for introductory threads, and can be ignored most of the time.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 05:13 pm »
Its important that if any new members join they have an entry point into the forum. Bols is trying to get new members onto the forum. Obviously its only meant for introductory threads, and can be ignored most of the time.
What Grant said.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20 pm »

It is still something extra to scroll past... what about a self-joinable role that disables the board?

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • My Name is Ozymandias
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 05:51 pm »
It is still something extra to scroll past... what about a self-joinable role that disables the board?
NGL its a first world problem to worry about scrolling like 2 cm. But I'll see what I can do.

Offline Bolsillos

• The Bohobemeister
  • Disruptor
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 05:51 pm »
NGL its a first world problem to worry about scrolling like 2 cm. But I'll see what I can do.
"a first world problem" :))

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • General
  • Mortar
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 05:51 pm »

Yeah if anything I'm probably being a little pedantic here. But it would be nice if you can do something.

Offline Awesomefinnz

• King of the Undead Empire
  • Disruptor
  • Kyle The Wraith / Awesomefinnz
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44 pm »
why did the game discussion end up in the archives?

I steal soap...

EGD game in progress.

Le status:

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • My Name is Ozymandias
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 08:45 pm »
why did the game discussion end up in the archives?
Just talk in Sploder Games. No reason to have separate categories when the main site isn't even used much.