Author Topic: post ur opinions on every egd game u played  (Read 1934 times)

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
Re: post ur opinions on every egd game u played
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 07:44 pm »
The thing is, PPG games and Arcade games are two different creators and they're handled differently for a reason. Inf lives & health aren't needed for you to make it, its enough lives & health that are needed for you for you to fully experience the game. I don't see why you would bring up PPG because they're two different creators with different playstyles. Some video games punish you for losing all of your lives by making you start over. Enough lives and health are provided for you to make to the end. Having too much lives like Kirby takes away some of the challenge of the game (that's why its called artificial difficulty) although Kirby is excusable since the main campaigns of the game are supposed to be easy and accessible to new and inexperienced gamers, where games like Mario and Sonic get progressively harder.
The main point is, you have to balance the amount of lives and health you give to the player, not spoil them with inf lives. That doesn't balance the artificial difficulty of the game, and results in less satisfaction when you beat it. I've just pointed out (along with ya'll) that my game didn't give enough lives and health, and that was why you couldn't finish the game in the first place. Not giving inf lives wasn't the problem, but not giving enough lives was.
pushing players back to the start of the game to ' punish ' them is antique game design

especially when it comes to Sploder, where there are all kinds of slow menus and loading screens, you need to design conveniently, otherwise people will give up as they're wasting too much time either going through unnecessary loading screens, or playing through levels they've already beaten

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 09:01 pm »
pushing players back to the start of the game to ' punish ' them is antique game design

especially when it comes to Sploder, where there are all kinds of slow menus and loading screens, you need to design conveniently, otherwise people will give up as they're wasting too much time either going through unnecessary loading screens, or playing through levels they've already beaten
Antique game design lmao.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15, 2015
M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
  • the only kid that's experienced at video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17 am »

pushing people back to the start of the game may be antique, but you still have to remember what creator you're dealing with. This is an arcade game creator, and pushing people back to the start was standard in arcade games, and still is here. The way PPG and Arcade works is handled differently for a reason, and ypu have to deal with that.
The loading in the Arcade games are also much faster than the PPGs as well, and you guys don't seem to be used to it anyway.
Anyway, as I said, I needed to give enough lives and health to the player, or reward enough of them, so they don't quit or be forced to start the game over a few cheap mistakes.
You wouldn't have to worry about being punished if enough lives are provided anyway, and Arcade Mania didn't do that, which was why most of you did not finish it. I cannot stress this enough. You guys will see anyway, since I did say I was going to make a better version of my game. We'll see how that turns out at the end of the day.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 05:13 am »
It might feel more rewarding when you beat it but when you fail a big game once you're quite a bit through it feels unfairly punishing, and for me it leaves me with no desire to continue. Look at how games like Ryspo have checkpoints so the player doesn't get punished for failure. It's simply a quality of life improvement that has come into practise recently.

I also strongly disagree with your artificial difficulty argument and would argue myself that having to start a game from scratch is a form of artificial difficulty. As Sean says, it's "antique" game design and there's a reason why running out of lives has either disappeared or been made less punishing in games outside of Sploder.

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline jigglypuff12345

• Soldier
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17 am »
all of them bad sploder doesnt have any real games -_-

Offline Rockyroad797

• A Huge Threat
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Turn on the Heat
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19 am »
If I wanted to watch something, I'd watch a movie, not a walkthrough. If I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not watch a walkthrough.

Your point?

Check out THUNDER X

Offline Rockyroad797

• A Huge Threat
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Turn on the Heat
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 08:21 am »
What looked fascinating to me were these
Chamber of Magic (surely)
Time Travel
A Step Too Far
Jumbly Junge
One Hit Kevin

Dont know about the rest, sorry

Check out THUNDER X

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 12:41 pm »
It might feel more rewarding when you beat it but when you fail a big game once you're quite a bit through it feels unfairly punishing, and for me it leaves me with no desire to continue. Look at how games like Ryspo have checkpoints so the player doesn't get punished for failure. It's simply a quality of life improvement that has come into practise recently.

I also strongly disagree with your artificial difficulty argument and would argue myself that having to start a game from scratch is a form of artificial difficulty. As Sean says, it's "antique" game design and there's a reason why running out of lives has either disappeared or been made less punishing in games outside of Sploder.
We obviously disagree on how lives should be treated. It’s not antique game design though, that’s bullsplode. I’d rather be challenged to beat a game not yanked by hand holdy game design. I think if you are gonna put infinite lives in a game, it should be a reward for getting through certain sections of a level. That’s how I treated infinite lives in my Glory game, because I disagree with them just being handed to you. And really, infinite lives in the world of video games today, are only in games where it makes sense, like sandbox games, but every other game at least has punishment for not playing the game right. Like platforming games.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15, 2015
M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 01:21 pm »
We obviously disagree on how lives should be treated. It’s not antique game design though, that’s bullsplode. I’d rather be challenged to beat a game not yanked by hand holdy game design. I think if you are gonna put infinite lives in a game, it should be a reward for getting through certain sections of a level. That’s how I treated infinite lives in my Glory game, because I disagree with them just being handed to you. And really, infinite lives in the world of video games today, are only in games where it makes sense, like sandbox games, but every other game at least has punishment for not playing the game right. Like platforming games.
I think you're misunderstanding the idea of infinite lives. Sean and I are talking about making the player start from scratch when they die or run out of lives. I can think of very few games released in the last 20 years that force the player to start from scratch when they die and not in the form of a challenge mode designed for expert players who have already beaten the game multiple times and know what they are doing. Almost every game has some kind of checkpoint system where you go back to when you lose a life. Hell, even games that would make you start over realised it's better to not make the player start from scratch. Look at Sonic Mania for example. Even though it was made for fans of the classic games it only punishes the player by sending them back to the start of a zone and not the whole game.

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 03:22 pm »

I know what your saying. However, inf lives isn't the only solution. Having enough lives can fix the issue without losing your sense of accomplishment.
And even if its ''antique'' its still being practiced in some games.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 03:29 pm »
Inf lives aren't always the way to go, even if it prevents unskilled players from starting all the way over 100%.
I would choose inf lives depending on the kind of game and Arcade Mania isn't the kind. Even though it still needs more extra lives & health, an endless amount of them is going a little too far from me.
I still want to fix this issue in arcade mania EX and probably the original if i feel like it. After all, the game is 3 years old and suffers from the mistakes I made a 8 yrs old. But still, enough live are needed and not inf of them. It can even be in large quanties, but not an inf amount of them.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 03:32 pm »
and lol, we've been debating for like 20 posts already, I'm kinda getting bored of debating at this point. Its better if I use my design choices I feel strongly about into Arcade Mania EX and we will see how that works out.
My 3ds is about to die so I have to go.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 04:06 pm »
Inf lives aren't always the way to go, even if it prevents unskilled players from starting all the way over 100%.
I would choose inf lives depending on the kind of game and Arcade Mania isn't the kind. Even though it still needs more extra lives & health, an endless amount of them is going a little too far from me.
I still want to fix this issue in arcade mania EX and probably the original if i feel like it. After all, the game is 3 years old and suffers from the mistakes I made a 8 yrs old. But still, enough live are needed and not inf of them. It can even be in large quanties, but not an inf amount of them.
Ultimately it's up to you what you do, infinite lives is just what I think would work best for a larger game

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19 pm »
Ultimately it's up to you what you do, infinite lives is just what I think would work best for a larger game
And I guess this is how the debate ends.
love u guys (º ν º)