Author Topic: post ur opinions on every egd game u played  (Read 1886 times)

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
  • the only kid that's experienced at video games
    • View Profile
post ur opinions on every egd game u played
« on: August 09, 2019, 05:30 pm »
that are valid, peeps can correct you if something isn't correct. they can also disagree with you aswell, thanks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:23 pm by deion789 »
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
    • View Profile
Re: post ur opinions on every egd game u played
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:23 pm »
I played all:

I’ll try to be fair with each of them.

Star Wars Combat Relay (Mine)

It’s good but, could be better with the difficulty. No the placement isn’t the problem but, I could see why some people might think it is. Not my best work, 6/10 game to me.

Realm Of Magic

Way too slow of a game, Combat wasn’t that great either. Okay first game but, maybe back away from gimmicks until you know that you could implement them well.

Classic Sonic Remix

Pretty good, nice platforming. I don’t really have much to say about this one. It’s just good, not the best I’ve seen but good.

Time Travel

Honestly, I didn’t quite understand this game. Haven’t really gotten in to this one that much as the others. It’s pretty confusing.

Black Bricks

The game was just meh, also freaking multiple samurai guys at the start? Wtf was he thinking? Not very enjoyable at all. 3/10.

One Hit Kevin 3

Sucks! 0/10

Legend of Goldaron Eternal Justice

This game is legit on par with the holy grail. Best game ever created in life, heaven and humanity! Best game ever! Everyone should bow down to this game!

Arcade Mania

It was okay, there could be many improvements to the game design though. As it didn’t do too good of a job to bring the player in to the game. It isn’t too bad though. Just needs work.

A Step Too Far

Should have won! 9/10, game was excellent in almost every way. It’s beautiful, fun, brilliant and the game design was amazing!

The Chamber Of Magic

Let’s just repeat what I said in the comments of the game: would have been better if he added enemies here and there. Most of the game just felt empty. The scenery and decorations were good though.

Jumbly Jungle

Basically a Meta Knight game, played very safe. It’s very passable, but felt pretty generic in the long run. Good as always but, come on Meta Knight at least add substance to your games.

Missing.

Not the best. It was an okay game. Not that much action to get me into it though.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15, 2015
M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 06:29 pm »
Oops didn’t mean it that harshly on Black Bricks, sorry. :8-/
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 06:34 am »
Took these as the notes from my judging.

Classic Sonic Remix - Swedenplatformge - 6/10 (Very standard Sweden affair. Levels feel very short and end the moment they begin. Feels like a downgrade from previous games with some annoying sections)
Time Travel - Swedenplatformge - 4.5/10 (Nice concepts, but poor execution. Game feels rushed and recycles concepts from Classic Sonic Remix. Several questionable design choices)
Black Bricks - Star34 - 4.5/10 (Screw puzzle plats)
Star Wars Combat Relay - Master106 - 4/10 (Found the game to be a bit messy. Visuals are ugly, gameplay is poor, and placement is abysmal at times)
Realm of Magic - Iustin2002 - 3/10 (Game seemed to be a bit broken. Awkward to play and poorly designed.)
Arcade Mania - Deion789 - 5/10 (Very average. A big game like this needs more lives and health. Nothing interesting offered in terms of gameplay but nothing offensive either)
One Hit Kevin 3 - Demonxz95 - 6.5/10 (Some clever ideas, but they don't always translate to good gameplay.)
Legend of Goldaron. Eternal Justice - Unovi - 1/10 (Yeah... No)
The Chamber Of Magic - Ethan2009 - 7.5/10 (Solid game for the most part, but has issues with level design being a bit too ambitious)
The Iron Warrior III - Awesomefinnz - 4/10 (Found the game to be a bit messy and not too fun to play)
Jumbly Jungle - Futuremillionare - 4.5/10 (Found the game to be a bit unbalanced and didn't particularly enjoy playing it)
Missing. - Mariogame3333 - 5/10 (It's ok, but feels a bit sloppy sometimes. Gameplay can be tedious at times)

Now the results are out, this is how I ranked them:
1) The Chamber of Magic
2) One Hit Kevin 3
3) Classic Sonic Remix
4) Arcade Mania
5) Missing.
6) Jumbly Jungle
7) Black Bricks
8) Time Travel
9) Star Wars Combat Relay
10) The Iron Warrior III
11) Realm of Magic
12) Legend of Goldaron. Eternal Justice

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:59 am »

One Hit Kevin 3

Sucks! 0/10
We're talking about one hit Kevin, not your game.
8)

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 10:11 am »
missing. was the only one I remember playing, and I didn't really understand what was going on for most of it. I also got stuck on a level near the beginning because I couldn't figure out where to go/what to do, even with the help of the level description. It didn't seem feature worthy to me.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 10:47 am »
We're talking about one hit Kevin, not your game.
Thats what I’m talking about, One Hit Kevin 3 is trashy. My game wasn’t the best either.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 10:56 am »
Thats what I’m talking about, One Hit Kevin 3 is trashy. My game wasn’t the best either.
lol r/woosh
8)

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 09:51 pm »
Took these as the notes from my judging.

Classic Sonic Remix - Swedenplatformge - 6/10 (Very standard Sweden affair. Levels feel very short and end the moment they begin. Feels like a downgrade from previous games with some annoying sections)
Time Travel - Swedenplatformge - 4.5/10 (Nice concepts, but poor execution. Game feels rushed and recycles concepts from Classic Sonic Remix. Several questionable design choices)
Black Bricks - Star34 - 4.5/10 (Screw puzzle plats)
Star Wars Combat Relay - Master106 - 4/10 (Found the game to be a bit messy. Visuals are ugly, gameplay is poor, and placement is abysmal at times)
Realm of Magic - Iustin2002 - 3/10 (Game seemed to be a bit broken. Awkward to play and poorly designed.)
Arcade Mania - Deion789 - 5/10 (Very average. A big game like this needs more lives and health. Nothing interesting offered in terms of gameplay but nothing offensive either)
One Hit Kevin 3 - Demonxz95 - 6.5/10 (Some clever ideas, but they don't always translate to good gameplay.)
Legend of Goldaron. Eternal Justice - Unovi - 1/10 (Yeah... No)
The Chamber Of Magic - Ethan2009 - 7.5/10 (Solid game for the most part, but has issues with level design being a bit too ambitious)
The Iron Warrior III - Awesomefinnz - 4/10 (Found the game to be a bit messy and not too fun to play)
Jumbly Jungle - Futuremillionare - 4.5/10 (Found the game to be a bit unbalanced and didn't particularly enjoy playing it)
Missing. - Mariogame3333 - 5/10 (It's ok, but feels a bit sloppy sometimes. Gameplay can be tedious at times)

Now the results are out, this is how I ranked them:
1) The Chamber of Magic
2) One Hit Kevin 3
3) Classic Sonic Remix
4) Arcade Mania
5) Missing.
6) Jumbly Jungle
7) Black Bricks
8) Time Travel
9) Star Wars Combat Relay
10) The Iron Warrior III
11) Realm of Magic
12) Legend of Goldaron. Eternal Justice
I agree with your criticisms of my game. I knew there was something wrong with the amount of food/pills/lives, but couldn't find a spot to put it there.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 05:14 am »
I agree with your criticisms of my game. I knew there was something wrong with the amount of food/pills/lives, but couldn't find a spot to put it there.
For lives, if you get a spawner crystal and a life and connect them with a link, they spawn infinite lives. Put that and some health after every checkpoint and that's a good starting point

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 10:01 pm »
For lives, if you get a spawner crystal and a life and connect them with a link, they spawn infinite lives. Put that and some health after every checkpoint and that's a good starting point
I don't like the idea of spoiling the player with inf lives or health. There should be a balance of artificial difficulty (as all things should be). I might implement it in certain areas/checkpoints of the next game, but having inf lives after each checkpoint is something I want to avoid unless the game is supposed to be very challenging. Like OHK challenging if you get what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:43 pm by deion789 »
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:24 pm »
I don't like the idea of spoiling the player with inf lives or health. There should be a balance of artificial difficulty (as all things should be). I might implement it in certain areas/checkpoints of the next game, but having inf lives after each checkpoint is something I want to avoid unless the game is supposed to be very challenging. Like OHK challening if you get what I mean.
I stand by this statement.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 05:15 am »
I don't like the idea of spoiling the player with inf lives or health. There should be a balance of artificial difficulty (as all things should be). I might implement it in certain areas/checkpoints of the next game, but having inf lives after each checkpoint is something I want to avoid unless the game is supposed to be very challenging. Like OHK challenging if you get what I mean.
If you want people to see all of your game, it should be standard

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Rockyroad797

• A Huge Threat
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Turn on the Heat
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 06:02 am »
Hoped my game entered but I didnt enter it

Check out THUNDER X

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 06:58 am »
Hoped my game entered but I didnt enter it

You wanted your game to build itself?

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56 am »
You wanted your game to build itself?
LOL
8)

Offline swedenplatformge

• In-order to change your soul, you need to first change your environment.
  • 4th place EGD
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 11:46 am »
Classic Sonic Remix (mine):

Definitely way above Classic Sonic Blast, but still not as good as Space Warrior Advanced in-terms of platforming, Imo. It's a fun game, one that succeeded in being salued despite it being a bit rushed in areas as I didn't have time to polish it fully the way I wanted it to be. But it still turned out fine, despite it being rushed.
6.8/10

Black Bricks:

Couldn't get that far, so can't say anything.

A step too far:

This game was brilliantly made, great levels with innovative "gimmicks" which blew me away. Despite this game lacking something that Witch Chaos had (I think it's the atmosphere), it still did great when you consider the limited time Lordeldar had to polish it up until the deadline. And it frustrates me that it didn't win over Chamber of Magic (even though I'm happy for Ethan's joy).

9/10

One hit Kevin 3:

This is a well-made game, which did what it was set out- to do. And despite it not being the kind of game I prefer to play the most, it still did what it was intentionally made to do. Which is to make the player think on their feet almost constantly.

7/10

Arcade Mania:

This game lacked lives, health and really needed to have its empty spaces be filled up by interesting setpieces. However, despite those major complaints, this is still an okay game, considering what Deion has created beforehand. He is still in the process of learning and has a lot to learn, but for sploder's today standards (which are fairly low) this is an alright game.

6/10 

Chamber of Magic:

A pretty good game, if I say so myself. I definitely agree with Master on that it felt like the empty spaces really put this game down quite a bit (which is why I objectively think this game shouldn't have one). With all that said though, this is still a pretty good game which is fairly interesting to play. Even if the platforming is a little frustrating.

7.2/10

Jumbly jungle:

From what I remember, I oddly enough actually enjoyed this one. Despite me hating Meta's other games. I don't know what it is, but I just feel that he made the platforming a bit more interesting this time around. Even if the general game design (which Meta has a record for doing) is extremely frustrating.

7/10

Missing:

A fairly messy game with very messy design-choices. The ideas could (maybe) work on paper, but the execution is just off in almost every way (graphics, gameplay, and story). This game was just confusing, and that's why I find it average. And that's why I'm also questioning why this game got featured.

5/10

Unovi's game:

Haven't played it yet. But I'll take people's word for the low-quality it has. I couldn't care less if Unovi made the game long, quality over quaninity, period.

Time Travel (mine):

Definitely one of the worst puzzle games I've made in a long time. It not only reminded me of why I should've stopped bothering to make puzzle plats to perfectly begin with, but it also reminded me of my old-school (and generally really weird) design-choices.

4/10

Offline swedenplatformge

• In-order to change your soul, you need to first change your environment.
  • 4th place EGD
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 11:51 am »
I apologize for the weird grammar. It's hard to edit the post when it has so many paragraphs.

Agreed. I think if Deion wanted the judges to see everything so badly, then he needed to make a sacrifice like that.

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 02:52 pm »
Wrong! He could do a walkthrough.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 03:29 pm »
Playing the game for yourself > watching a walkthrough

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Online seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 03:41 pm »
giving people infinite lives doesn't make the game any less challenging

it just means players won't have to restart from the very beginning of the game every time they fail

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 05:16 pm »
giving people infinite lives doesn't make the game any less challenging

it just means players won't have to restart from the very beginning of the game every time they fail
Not the problem. Lives should be a reward.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Online seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 06:57 pm »
Not the problem. Lives should be a reward.
health and other powerups are rewards. lives are required so that players don't quit because they're forced to replay the entire game over a level's worth of mistakes

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50 pm »
health and other powerups are rewards. lives are required so that players don't quit because they're forced to replay the entire game over a level's worth of mistakes
I think we have different opinions on how lives should be handled.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:

M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56 pm »
In Arcade Mania EX, I'm considering having inf live spawners on lvls that people really mess up. And also health as well.
Lives also may be a reward as well. The game rewards you with a lot of treasure instead of health, which is what I plan to fix. I still stand by my statement: artificial difficulty should be a balance in your games, and my game didn't strike that balance.
I also disagree with this. Inf lives shouldn't be a standard when you want people to see all of the game. You should give your players enough lives and health to see all of the game. If you're not skilled enough to beat a certain part of the game, I don't always have to supply them with infinite lives unless necessary.
love u guys (º ν º)

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38 am »
I also disagree with this. Inf lives shouldn't be a standard when you want people to see all of the game. You should give your players enough lives and health to see all of the game. If you're not skilled enough to beat a certain part of the game, I don't always have to supply them with infinite lives unless necessary.
The problem is, limited lives when you have the option to do infinite lives is just keeping people from finishing your game. I ran out of lives both times I played your game and I really didn't have any desire to put time into playing a game of that size again, especially when I had other games to judge. Had there been infinite lives, I would've finished your game and if it's like you say then you could've potentially moved up a spot or two. Think of it like in PPG where you can restart the level once you fail.

Achievements:
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Lt of 2014

Online seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 06:19 am »
I think we have different opinions on how lives should be handled.
no splode, that's why we're discussing it and explaining our opinions

Offline Rockyroad797

• A Huge Threat
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Turn on the Heat
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 06:53 am »

For hardcore gamers playing a game and watching a walkthrough makes no difference.

Check out THUNDER X

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23 am »
For hardcore gamers playing a game and watching a walkthrough makes no difference.

If I wanted to watch something, I'd watch a movie, not a walkthrough. If I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not watch a walkthrough.

Offline deion789

• Master Kirby Main
  • Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22 pm »
The problem is, limited lives when you have the option to do infinite lives is just keeping people from finishing your game. I ran out of lives both times I played your game and I really didn't have any desire to put time into playing a game of that size again, especially when I had other games to judge. Had there been infinite lives, I would've finished your game and if it's like you say then you could've potentially moved up a spot or two. Think of it like in PPG where you can restart the level once you fail.
The thing is, PPG games and Arcade games are two different creators and they're handled differently for a reason. Inf lives & health aren't needed for you to make it, its enough lives & health that are needed for you for you to fully experience the game. I don't see why you would bring up PPG because they're two different creators with different playstyles. Some video games punish you for losing all of your lives by making you start over. Enough lives and health are provided for you to make to the end. Having too much lives like Kirby takes away some of the challenge of the game (that's why its called artificial difficulty) although Kirby is excusable since the main campaigns of the game are supposed to be easy and accessible to new and inexperienced gamers, where games like Mario and Sonic get progressively harder.
The main point is, you have to balance the amount of lives and health you give to the player, not spoil them with inf lives. That doesn't balance the artificial difficulty of the game, and results in less satisfaction when you beat it. I've just pointed out (along with ya'll) that my game didn't give enough lives and health, and that was why you couldn't finish the game in the first place. Not giving inf lives wasn't the problem, but not giving enough lives was.
love u guys (º ν º)