Author Topic: "Copyright"- A review of Super Cliche Adventure by vlhobbs  (Read 606 times)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
  • Let's make sploder 2020 POSSIBLE
    • View Profile
This is my fourth attempt to become a reviewer.

I was looking through the featured page when I came across a game called Super Cliche Adventure. This game got me quite interested as it sounds unique. You can customize the thumbnail in the arcade game creator so I was expecting it to be even better when I would take a closer look. The thumbnail caught my eye. The scenery was fantastic at a first glance. The game looked like an adventure so let it begin!

Firstly, I will go over the story in this game. The king wants you to save the princess because he’s too lazy to get out of bed. I found this idea funny but dull! It is very uncreative, and it could have been developed. It could have had more meaning to it to it. I don’t think the reason is very creative and stories need that. The story is just like Super Mario Bros which I don’t mind but vlhobbs(the creator) could have changed aspects of it. He could have developed the story more as well. At the end of every castle it’s always the same message. You will get told that the princess is in another castle. This is good because it brings humor into it, but it is not very creative. Vlhobbs needs to come up with reasons why this is happening. I know this is meant to be a fun game based off Super Mario Bros, but it could have been better if it was changed a bit. How does the game look while you’re on this adventure?

Secondly, I will go over the scenery. The scenery was amazing. He made the scenery look like it’s supposed to look to form that type of land. He used nice textures that he fitted them together to look more colorful. An example of this is where you are in the castle but there are many different colored textures in the castle walls. Vlhobbs made all the obstacles blend in with the scenery too. An example of this is a waterfall that helps you get higher while blending in with the statues. He set the mood in places as well. He changed the colors to fit in with the level. That’s difficult to pull off. He would make mushrooms look like mushrooms without using the mushrooms that geoff provides with the arcade game creator. The trees were a good example of this as well. It’s amazing how you can fit tons of scenery together to make it look like one piece of scenery. Well done! What was playing the game like though?

Thirdly, I will go over the gameplay. The game was incredible to play. There were many different routes to take and only one level. There would be three routes in one area and sometimes I wonder how vlhobbs fit all of them in. Each route has a different difficulty which is hard to pull off. It already takes lots of effort to think of lots of different routes. Vlhobbs did this in every level. He keeps you going as there are tons of collectables along the way. Some routes are hard to find and that’s where the collectables went. An example of this is where there is a hidden switch and a hidden way to get to the route. There are many switches that give you coins which keeps you engaged. This happens because you get points and it makes you want to discover more. The obstacles were creative as vlhobbs can combine obstacles together to make one obstacle. An example of this is where you must activate a switch while dodging a spider. There are switches, routes and obstacles everywhere. Vlhobbs is very giving as he gives you lots of power- ups and lives. He even thanks you when you put effort in to get the collectables. This makes you want to collect more. The link logic is great as well. Often, you will collect one thing and then you get more. This makes you want to discover more. Well done on the gameplay but how difficult was it?

Finally, I will go over the difficulty and why this game is like Super Mario Bros. The difficulty was mostly balanced. As I’ve said before, there are many different routes in this game, and he makes each route more difficult than others. This makes you feel more confident as you can choose the difficulty. Also, this makes you not rage and more engaged to complete it. There are many lives to pick up along the way which makes you get used to that difficulty level. The castle levels don’t let you choose. This is good because it lets you get used to a higher difficulty level. The early levels are not too difficult while on the later castle levels they gradually become more difficult. Some of the obstacles are a bit too harsh. An example of this is where you must do a long jump while avoiding a moving cactus. This is on an early level! This takes your confidence down which is a negative. Sometimes, the hard routes involve too much skill on the early levels. The difficulty could have been built up more gradually. Let’s go over why this game is like Super Mario Bros. Vlhobbs makes the levels look a lot like the levels in Super Mario Bros. The cave levels look the same and have similar obstacles to the Mario cave levels. The castle levels have increased difficulty just like the castle levels in Mario. Finally, the ship levels have action and they feel like you’re in the air. I feel that making this game feel like Super Mario Bros is kind of a good thing.

Ratings, 

Story- 3 stars ★★★- There wasn’t that much to do with the story, but I felt more effort could have been put in

Scenery- 5 stars ★★★★★- It’s amazing how you can fit lots of scenery together to make 1 piece of scenery. Well done!

Gameplay- 5 stars ★★★★★- 100% effort and 100% glory

Balanced Difficulty- 4 stars ★★★★ - Mostly Balanced

Imagination (Creativity)- 3 ½ stars ★★★.5 - It had it’s ups and downs

Overall, this game is amazing. I can see why this game was featured. For next time vlhobbs should improve on the story and the creativity.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:05 am by sparrowblue »
From your friend, sparrow.:D

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: "Copyright"- A review of Super Cliche Adventure by vlhobbs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:06 am »
It is doable to customize an arcade thumbnail, Lordeldar himself says so. Will grade later.
8)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:37 am »
It is doable to customize an arcade thumbnail, Lordeldar himself says so. Will grade later.

I didn't know.I will edit that.

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:51 am »
You can't in the way you could with a shooter or PPG, but you can decorate the first stage (I think that's how it works with arcade) to make a nice looking thumbnail (Example: Hyper Ice Dash, also by Vlhobbs0

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:23 am »
You can't in the way you could with a shooter or PPG, but you can decorate the first stage (I think that's how it works with arcade) to make a nice looking thumbnail (Example: Hyper Ice Dash, also by Vlhobbs0
;D
8)

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:27 am »
Eh, Not bad, but I think I'll have to deny this. You are absolutely onto the right track, but there are a few missing comas, odd grammar in some parts, and the wording is a bit odd like " You can customize the thumbnail in the arcade game creator so I was expecting it to be even better when I would take a closer look. The thumbnail caught my eye." This seemed really forced into this review and even if it is true, that doesn't mean you have to even include that into your latest edit, or if you do, then you should use better wording. The review itself of the game's aspects was kind of lacking depth, and just stated the bland, superficial aspects of pros and cons and of improvement. Denied, sorry, but not a bad review.
8)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 10:35 am »
Thanks!I will practice more next time.I used Microsoft Word so I don't know why the grammar was bad as I checked Microsoft Word for my grammar errors.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 10:52 am »
Thanks!I will practice more next time.I used Microsoft Word so I don't know why the grammar was bad as I checked Microsoft Word for my grammar errors.
Not necessarilly bad, but there were a few errors
8)

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 12:24 pm »
Ethan, I've told you this already, tell people when they can next re-apply when denying!

Also, stop saying ' superficial ' so often.

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 01:43 pm »
Ethan, I've told you this already, tell people when they can next re-apply when denying!

A review of a review of a review :o

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 02:42 pm »

A review of a review of a review of a review(gobsmacked)! :o

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 03:10 pm »

Ok, I'll tell that, but you had two seperate posts into the review before, and I didn't really feel like reading it lol. I'll do that next time.
8)

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 03:10 pm »
No u
8)