Author Topic: [Denied(of course)] GOTTA GO FAST! - Classic Sonic Blast by swedenplatformge.  (Read 819 times)

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
Hello! samuraibiz other turn here, this is my third and already failed application to become a reviewer.

GOTTA GO FAST! - Classic Sonic Blast by swedenplatformge.

Classic Sonic Blast is a Sploder remake of the Original Sonic Blast (Game Gear), the original story, according to Wikipedia, is:
"Its story begins when Doctor Robotnik shatters a Chaos Emerald into five shards with a laser. One of the shards hits Sonic the Hedgehog, who, with the help of Knuckles the Echidna, sets out to prevent Robotnik from collecting the other shards and fortifying his island base."
But I will not consider the original plot, I'll imagine myself as an uninformed player, talking about what the game transmitted to me, the game story is:
"In Palmtree Panic, Sonic, worried about Tails and Great Crocodile (Vector), went to Gigalopolis, where releases both friends, Vector falls on lava but it doesn't hurt him, he says: "I found the Computer Room!". They, with the intention of escape, go to the Computer Room and are blocked by Tails Doll and the other character(I don't get recognize), but Sonic defeats the two and the three friends go away for the Mystic Cave Zone. When getting there, find the seven Chaos Emeralds and Sonic use Emerald's power to defeats Robotic Sonic, when you defeats him, you have that face a lot of Mechas and Probes." The transmitted story doesn't have very similarities with the original, an uninformed player don't will catch all the references, making the story looks different than really is, It don't would be a bad point, but the game is proposed to be a remake of Original Sonic Blast, an introduction could situate better the uninformed players.

The game has bonus stages that give to the player some special Abilities, like Double Jump, Roll, Stomp. What I will say can be a bit heavy but, don't get any Ability, in the levels don't have any moment that you give more efficiency because you're with those powers, the experience is the same that a player that doesn't get any bonus power, because the game essence is the player being guiding by gears.
Classic Sonic Blast is full of bugs, I'll give examples of the problems that seen, like: "Sonic/Tails dies and the game simply crashes, Tails Doll and the other character pushes the player to the tiles, Sonic gets tied in the air by gears ..." It really spoils the game experience, nobody likes to have the adventure stopped by a bug.
In the maps have very gears, bounces and windmills, considering that a good using of gears and bounces gives a really fastness, the creator intention was to give a feeling of speed and flow, as all the Sonic games make, but it arrived at such an unnecessary level that, in the whole level, you are led to victory, I'll give a example, in Gigalopolis have many windmills and it gives a very slow moment, instead that gives velocity, they disrupt the player making him wait for a considerable time, in all my gameplay has THREE combats, why a player will explore and evolve if the game conducts him to win?

The scenery is very beautiful in a graphical question, swedenplatformge used with frequency the Advanced Scenery technique, that is, in the most of the areas he used more than a background/tile, this make the game seems more natural and is very pretty of see if executed with prudence, because the real life "levels" are randomics and Sweden is a very experienced platform creator, he uses custom graphics with very frequency, like palm trees on Palmtree Panic, falling ice flakes on Ice Mountain, and, obviously, the classic objects of Sonic Series like: "Rings, Chaos Emeralds, End Panel, Minecarts ..." It gives a real feeling of that we are playing an original Sonic game.
Classic Sonic Blast's level design are very confusing, the block placement has to be more different for can shelter all the gears, in many areas have blocks in-air, areas with a big empty space, as a result of this, the game become block-polluted some areas or block-less, you will be almost always jumbled by a block or just will have gears without blocks in a other area, something that should be avoided in a game that your main proposal is the speediness.

The game is very easy, there's a moment where have a gear with THREE lifes, you can beat it on the first time because the game fills you of extra lifes, the unique part that really needs of player's "effort" is the combat against the last boss, Robotic Sonic(Fire Troll), and the real boss battle against Mechas and Probes are just a lot of spreaded enemys, don't have any organization fo a decent final combat, I don't see Classic Sonic Blast as a game, I see it as an interactive experience, like all swedenplatformge creations, but this game is for people to play and remember of the Sonic Series, It's all for nostalgia.
I think that the boss battle should be more avail, the place where happens the final combat is very simple, to you make a boss in a Sploder game, you have that prepare all the scenery, using of special block, like: "Teleporters, Elevators, Turrets/Archers", the two boss battles(Robotic Sonic and Mechas/Probes) are basically: "catch an atomic, reduces a part of life from the boss, dies and repeat" Really boring, don't have tension, epicness or fun, you just repeat steps, It's really like a task.

The idea of make a Sploder remake of a game of our childhood is ever welcome, and I have to feature the music placement on this game, really animated and happy music, It gives an epic characteristic for the game, It's very amazing like Classic Sonic Blast seems like an old Sonic game, using classic objects of Sonic Series and puting musics very happy, but this game don't shows nothing of new, even if it's a small thing, I'd get really sad by this game patterns exists, every game can't be a replica from any old game of yourself or your favorite creator, except sequences, try always innovate your games to leave your mark on Sploder!

Ratings:

Scenery: 47/100 "Very beautiful in graphical question, but the level design jumbles the player and is very incosistent."

Gameplay: 60/100 "The game experience is very disrupted by bugs and the gears conducts you to win."

Story: 73/100 "Different from what is proposed, but still a good story."

Concept: 40/100 "Sonic game, YES! But the game does not offer any good mechanics or a hint of originality."

Balanced Difficulty: 30/100 "Very easy and unbalanced, with incoherent powerup placement and tedious boss battles."

Overall(All the ratings/5): 62,5/100 "Average game, with much possibility to improve."

Review by samuraibiz.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:13 pm by samuraibiz »

Offline Meta KnighT

• ----> [ǝɹᴉɐuoᴉllᴉW] <----
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
Only read the intro as of now, and it already kinda turns off the reader.  First  of all, you shouldn’t say you think you got rejected to start off your review... if you think your review is bad, why not just improve it instead of complaining about how someone else will probably deny it?  Second, why quote Wikipedia and a summary of a game and then say you are going to ignore it and it doesn’t really matter for this game?  Seems like a waste of time tbh.  Will read rest later when I get a chance.
:)

Offline Ethan2009

• Idk
  • TRASH
  • Disruptor
  • idk
Denied.
First off, I'm seeing a lot of grammar errors, like you said "an uninformed player don't will catch all the references", which doesn't really even make sense. Secondly, you only touched up on the superficial aspects of the review, and didn't explain why you felt the way that you felt, which isn't very convincing to the game maker or reader. Next, I fully agree with Meta. It was kind of weird to quote wikipedia in the first place, and the intro wasn't very convinving, and then you said "probably failed." With that mentality, you WILL fail, so be positive, because you have great potential. Keep trying, and this time, stay posititve, and take your time.
Idunno

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • Sploder
Somewhat enjoyable read, it really lacked flow and struggled to grab my attention though.

Offline swedenplatformge

• In-order to change your soul, you need to first change your environment.
  • Launcher
  • I'm a jack of all trades
Thank you for the review! I'd like to point out that this game isn't based out of Sonic Blast (the official one). Nor does the game have any story, but I agree on that I still could've done a better job explaining that in the game. I definitely see where you're coming from with calling this game average, I honestly am not too happy with this game myself as it was kinda rushed. And that's why I intend on privating it (I made that decision a while back).

Anyways, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
Born in Sweden, raised by Bosnien-Herzegovinas and Iraq

Pro LGBTQ Rights

I tweet about my life, Sonic, video games, movies, anime, and politics.

I'm a jack of all trades...