Author Topic: The recipe for creating good games.  (Read 474 times)

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
    • View Profile
The recipe for creating good games.
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:45 pm »
Don't worry, this topic will be short!  :)

The tip is simple: innovate!

I'm not saying to reinvent the wheel or create the new Quest Zone, just have a hint of originality and a new thing to offer.
I'll use the example of ...

Escapee
by tookewl

In 2008, shooters games were almost completely made up of action games, Escapee was a break, very puzzle-like, it was unlike anything that existed at that time.

Try to avoid all game patterns, create something that people play and say, "Wow, how different! Cool!"

I'll add another example ...

Jump
by Thrash56

Yes, a platform game without enemies! a game totally focused on puzzles and "le parkour", may seem normal today, but in those time it was revolutionary!

Create more unique and less generic games, do not be afraid to experiment with mechanics, different visuals or a non-conventional story, Bye!  ^-^

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: The recipe for creating good games.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:48 pm »
Nice guide!
8)

Offline Meta KnighT

• ----> [ǝɹᴉɐuoᴉllᴉW] <----
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 06:17 pm »
The one problem with this is that almost all types of games have been done by now.  There aren’t the same new possibilities to create completely new ideas  in 2019 as there were 11 years ago in 2008.

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:05 pm »
The one problem with this is that almost all types of games have been done by now.  There aren’t the same new possibilities to create completely new ideas  in 2019 as there were 11 years ago in 2008.
It's quite possible to strive to make a game that at least is not generic.  ^-^
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:11 pm by samuraibiz »

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:14 am »
Very vague guide, it's nice when guides offer some practical information on the subject.

You didn't tell us HOW to make innovative games, you just ordered us to do it.

I wouldn't say a new idea is required anyway. Do you credit the first person who thought ' we should be able to fly ' for planes? Or do you credit the Wright brothers for designing them? It's all in the way you execute the idea, the old can be done better than the new.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:16 am by seanthechinaman »

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18 pm »
Very vague guide, it's nice when guides offer some practical information on the subject.

You didn't tell us HOW to make innovative games, you just ordered us to do it.

I wouldn't say a new idea is required anyway. Do you credit the first person who thought ' we should be able to fly ' for planes? Or do you credit the Wright brothers for designing them? It's all in the way you execute the idea, the old can be done better than the new.
a step-by-step guide on how to innovate? this is impossible cuz the invovation is something very vague, how I will explain it? You have to learn how to absorb abstract information Sean, not everything will be practical, bro.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:23 pm by samuraibiz »

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:44 am »
a step-by-step guide on how to innovate? this is impossible cuz the invovation is something very vague, how I will explain it? You have to learn how to absorb abstract information Sean, not everything will be practical, bro.

The information is already abstracted, telling someone to innovate is similar to telling them to ' make a good game '. Not every guide has to be practical, but SOME practical application of your theory should be available to readers.

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:07 pm »
The information is already abstracted, telling someone to innovate is similar to telling them to ' make a good game '. Not every guide has to be practical, but SOME practical application of your theory should be available to readers.
I used EGL games like example.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:03 pm »
Yeah, this is kinda like someone asking you to fly a plane, and you tell them to "Fly it!" But how???
I used EGL games like example.
So..?
EGL games are good, but everyone knows about them. Saying that these used new concepts only says new concepts are good, which is clear by now.
But its not a bad guide.
8)

Offline samuraibiz

• samuraibiz
  • Turret
  • Hello, be welcome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20 pm »
Yeah, this is kinda like someone asking you to fly a plane, and you tell them to "Fly it!" But how???So..?
EGL games are good, but everyone knows about them. Saying that these used new concepts only says new concepts are good, which is clear by now.
But its not a bad guide.
How somebody will explain to other people to innovate? It's like you say for me "Be more creative", How you will explain, considering that creativity is a very abstract thing.

And, yes, new concepts are good, but there's people that need know it, why all featured plat games are very same? The creators wanna stay in a comfort zone, it's a thing very harmful thing for the Sploder games diversity.