Author Topic: Need Help!  (Read 962 times)

Offline xheadhunterx

• Somewhat Important
  • Turret
  • I am hugging a cactus
    • View Profile
Need Help!
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:19 pm »
I want to become a reviewer, it sounds really fun. Sadly, I’m not good at describing things and my grammar is bad. Can you send me good reviews to help me learn about what to do when reviewing?
This person is really cool!
|
|
V

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33 pm »
I recommend reading applications in the Reviewer Lane that have already been accepted. You should read my own reviews as well, since they're my favorite.

Online Meta KnighT

• ----> [ǝɹᴉɐuoᴉllᴉW] <----
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:39 am »
I recommend reading applications in the Reviewer Lane that have already been accepted. You should read my own reviews as well, since they're my favorite.
Just because you like your reviews more than other people’s doesnt mean that all prospective applicants should just model them after your review style (or that you should tell them to do so if they want to increase their chances of passing).  If everyone review under the same style as you, that would make them quite bland after awhile tbh.

Online Meta KnighT

• ----> [ǝɹᴉɐuoᴉllᴉW] <----
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:41 am »
That being said, Editor applications (especially ones that accepted) tend to have better analysis on average so my advice would be to give those ones a look.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55 am »
I agree that people shouldn't model their applications after others' styles, I just want more people to read my reviews.

Writing is more important than analysis when it comes to Reviewer applications as well, which is why I wouldn't personally recommend Editor applications, as they're supposed to be raw analysis.

When it comes to describing things, look at your review as if the game's name was never mentioned, then think about whether you can still tell which game is being reviewed. Specificity is good, but too much detail creates unnecessary flab.

Grammar is something that I'll allow you to seek help from peers and spellchecking programs for, as long as you put in the effort your presentation doesn't have to be entirely original.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:57 am by seanthechinaman »

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35 pm »
Microsoft word is your best friend regarding grammar issues, it helped me a great deal when I did my applications back in 2015.

But yeah read some reviews and pick up styles and techniques.