Author Topic: MONSTER MADNESS #6 Hellraiser series (Spoilers)  (Read 56 times)

Offline kingofdanerds

• Kingofdanerds, PhD Memeology
  • Cruiser
  • Distill the life that's inside of me
    • View Profile
MONSTER MADNESS #6 Hellraiser series (Spoilers)
« on: October 02, 2019, 09:36 am »
HELLRAISER series

Hellraiser is probably one of the least talked about slasher series of all slasher series. I honestly never watched any of the movies until I realized I had to review the series. Now, I know the series antagonist is Pinhead and the Cenobites and how they are summoned by means of a puzzle box. That is all I knew before I watched any of the films. From what I know, the series had a good start and got worse as the series went on to the point that after the 4th film, the series went from direct to video. The series was created by Clive Barker, who I am familiar with but I have not had the time to really look at anything he has worked on. Until now. The film series first started in 1987 and the most recent film was released in 2018. So, let’s get started with the Hellraiser series!

Hellraiser

In 1987, this film was released and from my understanding it was only meant to be released in the UK but got a worldwide release. I was told that this was the best in the series and I had high expectations for this film. Reviews were mostly positive to mixed with a few exceptions like Roger Ebert who hated the film. It did fairly well at box office and was apparently good enough to spawn a sequel (and many more). So, without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

We see a man named Frank buy this puzzle box. We then see him fiddling with it and he solves it only to have chains come out and snatch him and kill him as we see the Cenobites. We then see that Frank’s brother Larry and his wife are moving into the house that Frank was in when he solved the box. They see that Frank was there at the house but they do not find him at all. Julia is the wife of Larry and she comes across some of Frank’s belongings. This is where we see that Frank and Julia had a thing even with Julia being married to Larry. Larry has a daughter named Kirsty who is asked to stay at the house but declines. Julia goes up into the attic that Frank was in when he solved the box and she finds it empty. While Larry is helping with moving a mattress, he cuts his hand on a protruding nail. He goes and finds Julia and the blood that splatters on the floor seeps into the floorboards which has a beating heart underneath. We get a pretty neat ressurrection scene with Frank’s body beng built. But Frank is not completely rebuilt as he needs more blood. Julia finds out and she seems to still love Frank and tells Frank that she will get some blood for him. He tells Julia about the Cenobites and how they came from the box and killed him but now he escaped from them. Julia brings men in and kills them to help Frank and little by little he gets rebuilt. While all of this is happening we see Kirsty with her boyfriend encounter this strange homeless man and Larry notices that Julia has been acting weird. So, Larry has Kirsty go and talk to Julia. Kirsty sees Julia bring another guy into the house and Kirsty is eventually caught by Julia and Frank. Kirsty escapes with the puzzle box and she ends up in a hospital where she solves the box and summons the Cenobites who plan on killing Kirsty but Kirsty tells them that Frank escaped from them and she says that she can lead them to Frank. They agree and Kirsty goes back to the house and she sees that Frank killed Larry and took his skin. Frank tries to kill Kirsty but kills Julia instead and eventually the Cenobites come and take Frank and kill him. The Cenobites decide to kill Kirsty but Kirsty manages to solve the box and trap them with Kirsty’s boyfriend showing up. They go to burn the box when the homeless comes and sticks his hand into the fire and pulls out the box only to turn into the devil or something. The film ends with the box back where it was in the beginning, being sold to another person. The End

I’m going to be completely honest. I hate this film. I had really high expectations for this film. So, what made me hate this film? The film had zero suspense. The characters were boring along with the acting. This film is also very confusing. Why did Frank come back because blood was spilled on the spot he died in? Who is this homeless man that turned into the devil? I was expecting the Cenobites (which were OK) to be the main antagonists but what we get is Frank and Julia. I would have liked more info about the Cenobites. What are the good things about this film? In my opinion, the only thing this film has is the gore. While the kills are weak, the gore in the resurrection scene and Frank’s second death are some good examples of the gore that this film has to offer. In conclusion, this film is boring, confusing, and a film with acting that is laughable. Hate me if you want, but I hate this film.

Rating: 2/10

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Well, after being dissapointed by the first Hellraiser, I was really thinking about not reviewing the series but someone said that the second film is better. Some people do think that the second film is good so, I decided to give it a try. Hellbound: Hellraiser II was released a year after the first film and with me just knowing that, it lowers my expectations that I have for this film. The film upon release got mixed reviews and did good at the box office. The question is, is this film better than the mess that I just watched previously? That remains to be seen, but first, let’s get to the plot!

We see this guy messing around with the puzzle box and he solves and we see him transformed into Pinhead. We then see Kirsty in a mental hospital because of course, there are dead bodies in her dad’s house and she claims that demons did it. Nobody believes her except an assistant to Dr. Channard. His name is Kyle he seems to like Kirsty a little bit. Kirsty tells Dr. Channard that Julia died on the matress in the house and if blood is spilled on the matress, Julia will come back. But, Julia didn’t die in bed, at least from my understanding. Anyway, Dr. Channard orders that the bed be brought to his house. Kyle overhears and goes to Channard’s house to see that Channard has a lot of things involving the box including more boxes. Channard brings in a patient who hallucinates that he has maggots eating him alive. Channard has the patient kill himself and he does so and Julia is resurrected with Kyle being the witness. We see this apparently mute girl named Tiffany who likes puzzles. Apparently her mother died but the cause to her death will be later revealed. Kirsty has a hallucination of what appears to be her skinless father with a message that says he is in hell and he wants help. Kirsty then believes it is her duty to go and help her father. Meanwhile we see Julia and Channard hitting it off and it gets kinda weird. Knowing that she still needs rebuilt, she has Channard go and get some more bodies. Kyle tells Kirsty and he takes Kirsty to Channard’s house where Kirsty finds a picture of the guy that was turned into Pinhead at the beginning of the film. Kyle goes and finds a room with rotting corpses and he is killed by Julia who eventually is fully rebuilt. Kirsty finds her and she gets knocked out. Channard has Tiffany to solve the box which is called the Lament Configuration. She solves it and is about to be killed by the Cenobites but is not because she didn’t have the desire to summon the Cenobites. The Cenobites open a portal to hell which appears to be a giant labyrinth. Channard is killed to be turned into a Cenobite. Kirsty encounters Frank who was actually the one who sent the message to Kirsty. Julia and Tiffany appear and Julia kills Frank. Julia eventually dies and Kirsty and Tiffany escape back into the real world only to have the Channard Cenobite to chase them throughout the whole hospital. The eventually find the Cenobites only to have the Channard Cenobite come in and kill of the Cenobites who revert back to human form when they die. Channard tries to kill Tiffany who is trying to solve the puzzle to banish the Channard Cenobite, but Kirsty wears Julia’s skin and buys Tiffany some time to solve it. She solves it and banishes the Channard Cenobite. A moving company has some men move stuff out of Channard’s house only to have a statue appear with parts of the Cenobites and the face of the homeless man from the first movie appears. The End.

This film is much better than the previous film. While the Cenobites are not the main antagonists but they had more screen time. The Channard Cenobite was pretty cool.  Kirsty is more interesting and so are the other characters. The acting is still not the greatest but an improvement over the previous film. There is more violence and the film was not confusing. I really liked how the Cenobites turned into humans when they died. The film had a nice twist but it was kind of predictable. The film had some creepy and a couple moments where I did jump. Many can argue that the first film had these things but I disagree. The maze of hell while it was an interesting idea, it totally looked like a painting which is what it is. In conclusion, this film is a big improvement with better acting and bigger focus on the main character. It is more creepier and I actually am looking forward to the next film.

Rating: 7/10

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Well, after being satisfied by the previous film, I didn’t know what to expect. The film was released in 1992 with the critics giving the film negative reviews but the film has since gained a cult following. It did alright at the box office. So, is this film good? Or is it 90’s horror trash? Let’s get to the plot first!

We see this guy named J.P. Monroe who walks into this art gallery and is interested by this statue which has Pinhead’s face and the puzzle box on the statue. The homeless man from the first two films appears and sells the statue to Monroe. We see our main character Joey who is a newsreporter go to a hospital and witness a guy with chains in him. The guy dies and Joey sees that the guy was with a girl named Terri who Joey wants to question. Terri says that it was the box that caused to chains to pop out and kill the guy. She saud she took it from the statue at the club called the Boiler Room which is owned by J.P. Monroe. Realizing that Terri has nowhere to stay, Joey lets her stay with her. We see that Joey has a recording of Kirsty talking about the box and Joey starts hallucinating. She sees Elliot Spencer who was the guy that turned into Pinhead. Joey also has dreams of her father’s death in Vietnam throughout the movie. J.P. makes out with a girl only to awaken Pinhead in the statue who kills the girl and has J.P. go and get some blood for him to be freed. J.P. agrees and calls Terri who is at Joey’s place. Terri denies but when Joey’s friend Doc calls up and says that Joey got a job out of town, Terri leaves. Terri and Joey start talking and Pinhead tries to kill Terri but instead kills J.P. Pinhead escapes and kills everyone in the Boiler Room. You can say that he is bringing Hell to Earth. Joey sees that Terri is gone and she sees on TV that something is going on at the Boiler Room and calls up Doc. But apparently what was on the TV was a hallucination cast by Pinhead to lure in Joey. Doc gets there first and Joey finds his dead body. Pinhead chases her through town along with newly made Cenobites. Doc is CameraHead, one of the bartenders is Barbie, and one of the DJ’s is CDHead. After blowing everything up and bringing Hell on Earth, eventually Joey makes it to a church and meets the priest who is then killed and Joey escapes and tries to go to her apartment so she can lure Pinhead so Elliot Spencer can destroy Pinhead. But we see that Terri and J.P. are both Cenobites but Joey solves the box and banishes all the Cenobites. She has a dream of her father in Vietnam but it turns out that Pinhead caused Joey to have that dream so he can claim the box. He gets the box only to be tranported to Elliot Spencer who wants to destroy Pinhead. Joey kills Pinhead and returns to the real world and she dips the box in concrete. We then see that the slab with the puzzle box is part of a building that has designs matching that of the box. The End.

This film was not as good as Hellbound, but the film still manages to be a decent film. The movie is creepier and the fact that this movie focuses more on Pinhead is something that I looked forward to. The second half of the film is better than the first half only because of the huge chase scene with the Cenobites and Joey. I thought it was awesome! The new Cenobites are hit or miss. They are certainly unique like CDHead and CameraHead but the J.P. Cenobite and the Terri Cenobite were not that great. I would expect J.P. to have been a Cenobite but I didn’t like that Terri became one. I thought that she was an interesting and likeable character and I would have prefered for her to live till the end. As for Pinhead himself, I found him more menacing and evil than in the previous films. I also liked that the film decided to have Pinhead’s good human side want to destroy the evil Cenobite side. It conveys the theme of good vs. evil. But what was it that I did not like in this film? I suppose it had to be the acting. The acting for Joey was not great but it got better as the film went on but the acting for Doc was awful. It reminded me of Hulk Hogan when he acts. So, the acting is not the greatest. The gore is a little more tame than the previous film. I would have expected this film to be much more gorier with it’s kills. In conclusion, this film is decent with some noticable flaws like the poor acting and the tameness.

Rating: 6/10

Hellraiser: Bloodline

90’s horror is often criticized for it’s stupidity, unoriginality, and tiredness. With it being the late 90’s it seems that the Hellraiser series is going to be one series that is going to have another sequel that fits the before mentioned adjectives. Going in to this film, I had some low expectations because I was told that it was Hellraiser in Space. Apparently this is the last film in the series to get a theatrical release. It was released in 1996 (same year as Scream) and it did poor with critics and box office. From what I know, this is the last of the Clive Barker Hellraiser films and the last film to have anything to do with the previous films. Well, is this film as bad as they say it is? Let’s find out, but first, let’s get to the plot!

We start the film off in space with a man named Paul Merchant. He is solving the puzzle box via a robot that he is controlling. He solves the box and the Cenobites are summoned, but some people apprehend Merchant thinking he is doing something evil. He sits down with Rimmer (a female soldier) to explain the whole story. Long ago in 18th century France, Phillip LeMerhand is told to make a box for a man. Phillip is a toy maker and he has a wife and a baby on the way. He makes the box which is the box that we all know and love. He gives the box to the man and the man along with his assisant Jacques whom you may recognize as Adam Scott from movies like Krampus and Step Brothers. The guy and Jacques find a poor girl and they kill her and they manage to summon an evil spirit. Which fills (and I mean fills) the body of the poor girl. Phillip apparently sees all of this and goes home and makes plans for another invention. He decides to steal the box but is caught and killed by Angelique (the Princess of evil?). Then in present day USA, we see the descendant of Phillip named John. Just like Phillip, John is a toymaker and has the blueprints that Phillip made before he was killed. We see Angelique and Jacques (they are still alive) and Angelique kills Jacques. We get to see what John is like. He has a wife and a son and is working on the invention mentioned in Phillip’s blueprints. Angelique kills a guy and meets Pinhead for the first time. They team up to kill John but that fails when Angelique wants to destroy the portal to hell which is what the Lament Configuration (the puzzle box) is. Pinhead wants to destroy the invention in the blue prints. John tries to destroy Pinhead but fails and is killed by Pinhead before John’s wife sends them back to Hell. Leaving John’s son alive and the bloodline to keep on growing. In the future, Paul finishes his story and fails to convince Rimmer and the other soldiers do not believe him until all the soldiers start getting killed off. Eventually Paul activates the invention in Phillip’s blueprints which causes the space station to fold into a cube and kill Pinhead. Paul and Rimmer safely escape as Pinhead is killed. The End.

So, was the film bad? Actually, I was very surprised at the end result. I mean sure the film has flaws but, the film is actually decent. I liked the fact that we got info on how the box was made and it’s original attentions. The acting was better than the previous film but still not great. It was scary, suspensful, and gory. Somethings that I did not like in this film was the computerized special effects. Sure, it was the 90’s but this is the late 90’s. But the CG effects are plenty in this film. I was expecting more of the space setting, but what we get is present day. Which is not bad, but I was expecting more space. Let’s talk about Pinhead. In the previous film, I found him to be hideously evil. In this film I find to be menacingly evil. I am all right with menacingly evil, but it did not work this time. The one final complaint that I have about this film is Angelique. I found it uneccessary to have her in the film and everytime something was revealed about her, I just got confused. In conclusion, this film is under rated. Sure, the effects, acting, confusing sub plots, and the lack of enough Cenobites in Space are all something that make this film not a classic, but there is more good things about this film than are bad. A decent film.

Rating 6/10
One light, one mind, flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts, "For crying out loud!" she said unto me, a free for all, f*ck em all

Offline kingofdanerds

• Kingofdanerds, PhD Memeology
  • Cruiser
  • Distill the life that's inside of me
    • View Profile
Re: MONSTER MADNESS #6 Hellraiser series (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:36 am »
Hellraiser: Inferno

When Hellraiser: Bloodline was released, it seemed that the series would end. But, as we all know, it did not end. Filmakers decided to do something new with the Hellraiser series. That would be releasing the films direct to video. In 2000, Hellraiser: Inferno was released direct to video and it got mixed reviews. Going in to this film, I had low expectations because it seemed that the series was being dragged through the mud. This film has nothing to do with the previous films and I wondered how they were going to pull it off. Well, let’s find out!

We see our main character Joseph playing chess. He wins and gets a lot of money for doing so and goes to work. He is a police officer and he is a very corrupt one. He has a partner named Tony and they both get called in to a crime scene. At the crime scene, it is revealed that the mutilated, dead body went to school with Joseph. Joseph finds the puzzle box and also the finger of what appears to be a child’s finger. Disturbed, Joseph calls it a night and heads home with the puzzle box. When he gets home, he tells his wife he has to go back to work. He leaves but instead of going to work, he picks up a prostitute and takes her to a hotel and they make “love”. Joseph gets up and heads into the bathroom and solves the box. He experiences hallucinations and this is where we see the Cenobites. Joseph wakes up and heads out, leaving the prostitute behind. He is at work and gets a call from the prostitute who eventually dies while on the phone. Joseph and Tony go and check it out. Tony is surprised and being the good cop he is, has all the reasons to go and report it. But, Corrupt Joseph tells him that he did not kill her and convinces Tony to wipe Joseph’s prints from the crime scene. While Tony is busy, Joseph takes a pack of cigarretes and a pen from Tony’s car and hides them in the hotel room. Joseph finds another child’s finger at the crime scene. Joseph eventually learns of someone by the name of The Engineer. Joseph believes that The Engineer is behind all of the killings. From here on, people start growing suspicious of Joseph as more people are killed and more fingers are left behind. He starts seeing the Cenobites more and more (but no Pinhead). Eventually, he comes home one night and there is a phone call from his mother saying that The Engineer is there. He heads over and his parents are killed. Joseph wakes up again back at home as the phone rings and it is his mother again saying The Engineer is there. He heads over and finds the room empty except that the bed is bloody. He finds an address and goes there only to see his partner Tony get killed. Eventually, Joey goes home and it is revealed that his psychiatrist was The Engineer or Pinhead this whole time. Joseph starts walking around and eventually ends up in his childhood home. The spirits of all the people who were killed by The Engineer attack him but he destroys them and eventually confronts Pinhead. Pinhead reveals that Joseph has created his own hell because of his coruptness. He tells Joseph that he will forever be tormented for all the sins he has committed. The film ends with Joseph screaming because of his torment. The End.

For starters, Pinhead is barely in this film. I would have liked to see him in the film more. But let me say it. This film is by far, my favorite Hellraiser film. It is not neccessarily a film that should have been a Hellraiser film because of how different it is. The suspense was there throughout the whole film and there where some terrifying moments as well. Now, the lack of onscreen kills and gore are somethings that pissed me off with this film. But, this film was a lot of fun to watch. I liked the idea that we have a main character is tortured by his own creation of Hell rather than other beings. The acting was better than the previous film. While I was dissappointed by the lack of Pinhead, I was satisfyed at what this film had to offer. I would definitely recommend watching this in your spare time.

Rating: 8/10

Hellraiser: Hellseeker

Well, in 2002 we got Hellraiser: Hellseeker. I was told that this film is the worst in the series. But could it be that bad? Well, this is the first film that I have reviewed that has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. So, yeah apparently it is that bad. But, I cannot just assume that right away. I have to give it a chance just like all the other films that I have reviewed. This film sees the return of Ashley Laurence who played Kirsty in the first two films and had the cameo in Hellraiser III. Honestly, I do not know what to expect out of this film. So, let’s get to the plot!

So, we see Kirsty with her husband Trevor in a car that Trevor is driving. Trevor gets distracted by Kirsty and the car drives off and crashes into a river. Trevor gets out and tries to save Kirsty but fails. Police tell Trevor that Kirsty’s body is not in the car and at the moment is missing and they ask Trevor questions. Later, we see Trevor having hallucinations (there will be a lot of those). He still thinks it is the day of his wife’s death but is informed by his doctor that it has been quite a while. Trevor thinks that it is the injury caused by the wreck that is causing his memory to be all messed up. From here on till the last 20 minutes of the film, Trevor experiences hallucinations of death, flashbacks of his wife, has sex with other women, sees Pinhead once or twice, and is constantly called into the police station for questioning where police suspect him of the dissapearance of his wife. During all of this, we see that Trevor got the puzzle box (I like the name puzzle box better than the Lament Configuration). He gave the box to Kirsty for an anniversary gift. Anyway, Trevor finds the body of a lady that gave him acupuncture. He pulls a knife from her body just as police enter the room and catch him with the knife in his hand. Police take him to the station and they question him and Trevor is informed that Kirsty’s body was found and they have it at the morgue. The detective takes him down to morgue and reveals to be a Cenobite (at least I think). Trevor runs and finds the morgue. He enters and sees a body that is covered up and just as he is about to look, Pinhead appears. It is revealed that Trevor did in fact have affairs with other women and when Kirsty found out, he gave her the puzzle box. When Kirsty opened the box, she made a deal with Pinhead saying that if she gave him 5 souls, she can be spared. So, Pinhead has a total of 4 souls (Trevor’s friend, boss, acupuncture lady, and neighbor.) It is that Pinhead tells Trevor that he is the fifth soul. It is revealed that Kirsty shot Trevor in the head which caused the car to crash and Kirsty survived. Police get there and Kirsty tells the police that Trevor shot himself and they believe him and they let Kirsty go and she leaves with the puzzle box. The End

Well, this film is bad. But, it is (in my opinion) better than the original. This film has most of the qualities of the first film. No suspense, terrible acting, terrible characters, and it was not scary and it was BORING. But, this film was not that confusing like the first film. I do have to say that the one thing I liked about this film was the twist ending. I was not expecting the film to end the way it did. But that is about it. Nothing really special about this film. It is a shame that they have to keep dragging this series on and on.

Rating: 3/10

Hellraiser: Deader

First of all, is deader even a word? Well, Hellraiser: Deader is the next film in the series to be directed by Rick Bota. After the dissapointment of the previous film, could the series possibly be brought back from the dead? I doubt it, but let’s give this film a chance. This film was another direct to video released in 2005. Other than that, their is nothing much that I can really say about a film that uses Deader in it’s title. Anyway, let’s get to the plot.

We open up with our main character Amy in a druggie building. We learn that she is an American reporter who works in London who was in the druggie building for her upcoming story. She heads to work and her boss wants to have a meeting with her. He shows Amy a videotape that came from Romania. They watch the videotape and they see some pretty disturbing business going on in the video. The videotape shows a cult meeting. This is where we learn why Deader was used in the title. Members kill themselves and are brought back to life by the cult leader. Amy then goes to Romania. Once she gets to Romania, she goes to the address that the videotape came from. Once in the apartment, she finds that the person who sent the video is dead and next to her body is the Lament Configuration and another videotape. Amy heads to her hotel and watches the videotape and the dead girl says that she is to find a guy named Joey. The girl goes on to say that the box is to not be opened. Well, Amy opens it anyway and Pinhead appears. Amy goes and finds this Joey guy who pretty much owns his own train car where people hang out, smoke pot, and have sex.  Eventually, Amy finds the cult thanks to Joey. Apparently the cult leader is a descendant of LeMarchand who was the guy who created the Lament Configuration. At this point, the film gets really confusing. I’m assuming that Amy is put into a giant dream. We get a little bit of backstory about Amy. Apparently her father raped her as a girl and she killed her father. There is also some interaction between Amy and Pinhead and he pretty much says that she is his slave and she must help him. When Amy wakes up, she opens the box and Pinhead comes out and kills all of the cult members. Amy goes on to kill herself and the film ends with the building blowing up and Amy’s boss assigining someone else to do the same job that Amy was supposed to do.

Well, I am not surprised by this film. This film seemed to be a completely different film but this guy named Rick Bota decided to make it into a Hellraiser film at the last moment. This film is confusing as hell! Pinhead in this film is almost non existent (even though that was the case in Inferno, and I loved that film). Amy is a decent character and this film had a few scary scenes. Other than that, this film is nothing special. It’s bland, very forgettable, and confusing as hell!

Rating: 3/10

Hellraiser: Hellworld

In 2005, two Hellraiser films were released. Deader and Hellworld. This is yet ANOTHER Rick Bota Hellraiser film. I had some low expectations before I watched this film and my end thoughts will be soon revealed. This film is the Hellraiser film that is like Halloween: Resurrection. This film is supposed to have some modern elements and it is something I was very curious about. Well, let’s get to the plot!

We open up with shots of a man digging a hole. We then are at a church where a funeral and a group of friends are attending. There is some tension between one of the friends and he leaves the funeral. Apparently he died of suicide while playing a game called Hellworld. Years later, the group of friends are playing Hellworld. Which apparently is a game based off of the Hellraiser series. Which is really meta, but the film does not pay too much attention to that. The creators of Hellworld are throwing a party and only 5 V.I.P. passes are given to a special 5. Well, all of the friends get the V.I.P. pass and there are mixed feelings. They meet the guy who is known as the host and gives the group a tour of the place. After that, the friends walk around and get killed off one by one by the Host and Pinhead. That is pretty much the majority of the film. Getting closer to the end of the film, we learn that the Host is the father of the guy who died and was the guy who was digging the hole. Well, apparently the Pinhead is not real and that the Host used hypnosis to convince them that Pinhead is real. All five of the friends are in caskets in the ground with only 2 of them being alive. The film ends with the Host being killed by the real Pinhead and Cenobites and our two survivors driving into the sunset.

The plot is very simple which is why I do not go into full detail in describing it. But, wht did I think of the film? It is actually not bad. It got a little confusing but not nearly as confusing as the previous two films. The film does deliver in some nice scares and there was plenty of gore to be found in this film. The acting is not great but it is at least bearable. The film has a different vibe to it than the previous two films and I was very relieved. As for Pinhead, even though The Host was really the killer, seeing Pinhead and how he dispatches everyone is very different and it makes him appear more of a slasher killer than ever before. This is no masterpiece and I would recommend skipping Hellseeker and Deader to watch this film.

Hellraiser: Revelations

In 2011, the ANOTHER Hellraiser film was released. But, it was not your typical Hellraiser film. The film was supposed to return back to the formula that the first two films followed. Now, my expectations for this film were at an all time low. I was told this is the ABSOLUTE WORST Hellraiser film. But, the masochist inside of me really wanted to see this film. Now, this is the first film to not have Doug Bradley as Pinhead which is a shame because I cannot imagine Pinhead being played by another actor. Well, let’s see how much more dissapointed I will get and let’s just get to the plot.

So, we start out with two guys named Nico and Steve who are going to Mexico. Some of the scenes are told from a camcorder which Steve uses to document the events. We then see that Nico opens the Lament Configuration. There is no explanation told right away about how the box is obtained but it will be explained later. So, Steve’s mom watched what happened on the camcorder. Which is weird because I am currently wondering how she got the camcorder. Anyway, the boys apparently have been missing and their families are getting worried. They seem to not have mentioned anything about the boys in some time as Steven’s sister Emma (who is Nico’s girlfriend) says that it is time to start talking about it. Eventually they all find the Lament Configuration in Steve’s stuff (which again, how did they get it?). Then Steve shows up to the house and is acting all sorts of weird. We get a flashback scene where we see that Nico kills a girl after getting drunk and making out in a bathroom. We then see how the Lament Configuration got into the boy’s hands. Apparently after Nico killed the girl, some hobo (who is much like the character in the first 3 films who is really mysterious) gives them the box. We see that the hobo guy shows up to the house and Nico’s dad tries to kill him but Nico’s dad is the one who ends up getting killed. Another flashback scene shows that Nico opened the box and he was killed by Pinhead and the Cenobites but apparently he is not quite dead. Much like in the first two films, Nico can be whole if Steve brings him blood. Steve gets tired of doing the dirty work so Nico kills Steve and takes his skin. This is why “Steve” was acting all weird and I mean it gets weird. Nico holds the rest at gunpoint and forces Emma to open the box. She does so and the Cenobites are summoned. Nico’s mom and Steve’s mom are both killed and we see what happened to the actual Steve after Nico killed him. Apparently he turned into a Cenobite. Emma’s dad kills Nico and Pinhead spares Emma and her dad (who was shot by Nico earlier). The End.

To the film’s credit, this is the first film since forever that decided to be about what the Hellraiser series was supposed to be. Even though I was not a huge fan of how this concept was executed by the original film, I thought this film did it OK. The one big (and I mean BIG) problem that I have about this film is Pinhead. As I said before, Doug Bradley is Pinhead and nobody else. The Pinhead in this film was not scary and he looked hilarious. Speaking of the scare factor, I was not expecting this film to be scary and it was not really scary at all. The story was somewhat interesting and not confusing like the previous films and the acting was suprisingly decent.

Hellraiser: Judgment

Before I start this review, I think that the title is spelled wrong. Anyway, another Hellraiser film was released in 2018. I did not know much about this film until recently and I actually had high expectations because I was told that this film was one of the best Hellraiser films to be released in the new millenium. The film is yet another direct to video which is probably why I never new about it until accidentally coming across it on Youtube. I will also note that this film does not have Doug Bradley as Pinhead. Well, let’s get to the plot!

We see Pinhead and the Auditor talking about capturing souls. Apparently us humans are so intelligent, that the old ways of luring in souls cannot work anymore. We then meet our main characters who are all detectives. We have Sean, David, and Christine and apparently they have a murder case on their hands. The killer only kills those who violate the Ten Commandments. (Don’t ask me what they are because I am not a die hard Christian like some). While doing some investigating, Sean meets the other Cenobites. But, Sean escapes thanks to the help of an angel. Sean later has some nightmares about the Cenobites. Later, Sean and Christine are looking at the body of one of the victims and they find some information that leads them to the serial killer’s hideout. It is then revealed that Sean is the killer. Sean takes David (who is his brother) hostage and forces him to open the Lament Configuration which he does and thus the Cenobites are summoned. Sean tries to sacrifice his brother and his brother’s wife to the Cenobites. Alot of things happen next like the Cenobites want to take Sean instead but the angel does not like what is going on so Pinhead becomes human. The End

Well, I have to say that I did not love this film, but I did not hate this film either. Yes, I was a little dissappointed with the outcome of this film. The film just seems boring until the last few minutes of the film. At times, this does not feel like a Hellraiser film until Pinhead and the Cenobites are on screen. I do enjoy Pinhead in this film 100 percent more than Pinhead in the previous film. The one thing that I will praise is the special effects which are probably some of the best since the second Hellraiser film. In conclusion, it is a film that had some ideas but it did not work until the last few minutes of the film.

5/10

In conclusion, the Hellraiser series is one that had so much potential. While many hate the series for the direction that the series has taken, I have to say that I am not as hateful. This series did surprise me on more than one occassion. Most of the movies get a lot of crap whereas all the good ones are praised. I suppose the Hellraiser series is not for everyone, and for me it is not a series that I would do a marathon on just because there are clearly other things I could watch. Would I recommend watching the Hellraiser series? I would only recommend watching the series if you are a die hard horror fan but under other circumstances, I would not. Well, this wraps up the Hellraiser series, the next series is going to be the Child’s Play series.
One light, one mind, flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts, "For crying out loud!" she said unto me, a free for all, f*ck em all