Author Topic: [Out Now!] Space Warrior Advanced by Swedenplatformge  (Read 299 times)

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:32 am by swedenplatformge »

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: [Hype!] Space Warrior Advanced by Swedenplatformge
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14 pm »
This is just a side-project while I'm still working on that Sonic plat. So do not worry about me "forgetting" about it, haha.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Don't make me take my face off
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 03:54 am »
I like the rollercoaster thing in all ur games. Hyped

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:43 am »
Looks decent
8)

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 03:23 am »
I like the rollercoaster thing in all ur games. Hyped

Thank you, I am glad you feel that way about the rollercoasters in these games of mine.

Our collab might work in the end, but I can make no promises. It all depends on the circumstances, amongst other things. 

Looks decent

Thank you friend

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 01:24 pm »

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 01:25 pm »

Teach me how to make such stunning stuff, want to use it on Terradino or Null Void idk

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39 pm »
Teach me how to make such stunning stuff, want to use it on Terradino or Null Void idk

Thanks for the compliment!

There is no real "trick" that is extremely specific regarding this. When it comes to me making certain tiles-combos look gorgeous; I try to just look for 2 tiles that I think goes well with one another. Both color-wise and texture-wise.

And don't be mistaken, the combinations of the colors are always extremely important.

For example, something like a blue tile could work well with a purple tile. Because of those two colors having a similar but yet kind of different shader-kinda look.

While brown and blue is just random and gross. Of course, what two colors suits more is all subjective. So that's why I have no real "trick", so whether a certain tiles-combos look good or not is up to the person who looks at it.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 02:12 pm »
Thanks for the compliment!

There is no real "trick" that is extremely specific regarding this. When it comes to me making certain tiles-combos look gorgeous; I try to just look for 2 tiles that I think goes well with one another. Both color-wise and texture-wise.

And don't be mistaken, the combinations of the colors are always extremely important.

For example, something like a blue tile could work well with a purple tile. Because of those two colors having a similar but yet kind of different shader-kinda look.

While brown and blue is just random and gross. Of course, what two colors suits more is all subjective. So that's why I have no real "trick", so whether a certain tiles-combos look good or not is up to the person who looks at it.

I wasn't talking about that XD, i was saying about the gameplay concepts in those screenshots as well as generally

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 02:53 pm »
I wasn't talking about that XD, i was saying about the gameplay concepts in those screenshots as well as generally

It isn't hard for me to come up with gameplay concepts.. I just pick the things sploder gives me and use them in a way that suits the flow of the chosen game I'm adding it onto. For example; the ladder (as shown above) suits the game's flow because it is placed into the stage's structure in such a way, that it feels very straight-forward. Which is just like how the game otherwise feels on the whole. Which is why it fits in just perfectly!

Another example of gameplay: elevators. If I use an elevator in this type of straight-forward game.. Then I make sure that suits the flow (obviously) by making sure that the player doesn't have to wait too long for the elevator to get down or up.

Long story short, I just use things like ladders, logs, water, elevators, sliders; amongst other things in order to draw my inspiration for the gameplay. Because there is nothing else I can do with the limitations sploder gives me, lol. Of course, I do think I'm doing an at least alright job at using them to their fullest.

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 02:55 pm »
Since you're making a plat too, I recommend you make sure each level in your game has its own unique game mechanic that it uses. So that your game doesn't end up feeling dry, since pretty much every platformer game in existence you consider good does this.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 01:17 am »
Since you're making a plat too, I recommend you make sure each level in your game has its own unique game mechanic that it uses. So that your game doesn't end up feeling dry, since pretty much every platformer game in existence you consider good does this.

I have a circle perm block mechanic that I was specializing in Level 1, it's a very frustrating sequence to get past.

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:38 pm »
I have a circle perm block mechanic that I was specializing in Level 1, it's a very frustrating sequence to get past.

Then you should get rid of it... Any aspect in a game that is frustrating should be either remade so it is less frustrating, made from scratch, or just simply gotten rid of altogether. It is also not especially good for a first level as you want your first level to be easy in a game, the difficulty should only be crazy by the end.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:39 am »
Then you should get rid of it... Any aspect in a game that is frustrating should be either remade so it is less frustrating, made from scratch, or just simply gotten rid of altogether. It is also not especially good for a first level as you want your first level to be easy in a game, the difficulty should only be crazy by the end.

I'll make it a little easier, but that sequence still stands

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 05:38 am »
I'll make it a little easier, but that sequence still stands

Hopefully, it does, lol, but based on my experience with my games it isn't a good thing when you say such a thing.

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 05:39 am »
Anyways enough chatting, lol

This is a thread for my game, we can continue our discussion in dms
But I won't respond here anymore.

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:46 pm »
Update: The delay is paying off, I'm trying to add in a story that actually is mentioned throughout; as much as possible. So that unlike my previous Space Warrior games, this will feel more like a genuine adventure connected to a bigger story.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 03:16 am »
Update: The delay is paying off, I'm trying to add in a story that actually is mentioned throughout; as much as possible. So that unlike my previous Space Warrior games, this will feel more like a genuine adventure connected to a bigger story.

Release it in non-8bit version

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 06:13 pm »
Release it in non-8bit version

That's a really bad idea, it would only make the game crash and run extremely slow. So it's if anything, extremely pointless.

And plus, the game is supposed to sell a "speed-game- arcade-ish" kinda game anyways. So the 8-bit graphics fits these fast-paced games of mine perfectly I'd argue.

Offline Rockyroad797

• The Electropede
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 01:40 am »
That's a really bad idea, it would only make the game crash and run extremely slow. So it's if anything, extremely pointless.

And plus, the game is supposed to sell a "speed-game- arcade-ish" kinda game anyways. So the 8-bit graphics fits these fast-paced games of mine perfectly I'd argue.

Okay then

Offline swedenplatformge

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 07:47 am »
The game has been released!