Author Topic: Affirmations  (Read 117 times)

Offline Image

• Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
Affirmations
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:01 pm »
Some context: I've experienced seasonal depression a bit this year, but compared to past years it's not as bad. It does still take a toll on my energy levels which correlates with the amount of art I create, the amount of work I complete, etc.

With that being said, I have been a bit bummed lately regarding the job search. More specifically, the defining lack of response (aside from a couple of declined letters and automated emails). I know I'll find the right job. I've been incredibly proactive, but I also have to be patient (and I'm not a patient person).

I started listening to some of those affirmation videos on YouTube in the morning when I get ready. If you haven't listened to them before, affirmations typically are a repetitious series of positive "I am" statements. Some of them are silly ("I am indestructible") and some of the success-oriented ones fall victim to capitalism ("there is no limit to the amount of money I can make").

But some of these are actually encouraging - "the past is the past. I don't dwell on my mistakes, but I don't forget them because mistakes are lessons and I keep these lessons in my heart and carry them on my journey to being a better person."

"I am loved and deserve love; I am the perfect partner for my perfect partner. I respect those around me and react with love."

Offline Image

• Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmations
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:01 pm »
In sum, the job hunt is hard. But sometimes I watch these seemingly silly videos and they remind me that life is actually alright.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:36 pm »
Good luck with life
8)

Offline sticki

• General
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 05:46 pm »
I burnt myself out on encouragement videos, motivation and the likes. If anything I'm always constantly struggling to stay afloat but the one thing that always helps is really talking and spending time with people I feel safe around. I'd like to eventually get to a point where making art isn't a complete and utter impossibility for me, but it's going to be a while until I reach that point.

Offline splatter

• Soldier
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:41 am »
Glad to hear you're keeping a level head despite the hardship you're going through.