Author Topic: The Champions League Group Stages (Football Thread)  (Read 421 times)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
  • My sense of humor is atrocious.
    • View Profile
The Champions League Group Stages (Football Thread)
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:57 pm »
It is 12:57, and within an hour and three minutes, Manchester United will host Paris-Saint Germain. I am absolutely hyped. I am confident of a United victory, which is only more likely with the absence due to injuries of Neymar and Edinson Cavani. Old Trafford is filled, and the atmosphere could not be any more jubilant. Elsewhere, Porto travel to Rome, and the Portuguese team might just be the favorites. Roma have been extremely inconsistent this season, and expectations of the Italian side are beginning to drop. The lineups will be out very shortly. If anyone else here intends to watch either one of the two games I have mentioned above, let me know. Both games should be very interesting.
Remorse does not atone for the actions of the guilty.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: The Champions League Group Stages (Football Thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:07 pm »
Neymar is incredible,  but I beleive that messi can still make it work
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 05:32 pm »
Well, it might come as a slight shock but Roma won 2-1 against Porto. The Portuguese outfit managed to scrape a goal, but in the end it was a deserved victory for Roma. Roma winger Nicolo Zaniolo put in an outstanding performance as Roma came out victors. 

Roma 2-1 Porto:

Nicolo Zaniolo 70' (ROMA) (ASSIST: Edin Dzeko), 76', Adrian 79' (PORTO) (ASSIST: Tiquinho)

Predictions for the second leg? Should be very interesting. Can Porto pull off a comeback? I wouldn't put it past them, considering the quality they have.

And now onto the big game. Manchester United vs Paris Saint Germain. The game finished 2-0 in favour of the French giants, for those unaware. Shocking performance from United, who only had one shot on target compared to Paris' five. David de Gea, the United goalkeeper, ensured United only conceded 2. It could have been much worse for United. The referee, Daniele Orsato, raised quite a few eyebrows from the United supporters, with him booking 6 United players compared to Paris' 4. The United faithful were ensured Paris' Presnel Kimpembe got his second yellow, but the referee waved play on. United's disastrous evening was summed up as Paul Pogba got a deserved red card.

Presnel Kimpembe 53' (PARIS) (ASSIST: Angel Di Maria), Kylian Mbappe 60' (PARIS) (Angel Di Maria)

Surely the tie is done and dusted? Cavani will return for the second leg, although Neymar would be a massive doubt. United, on the other hand, find themselves in a injury crisis. Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial both went off injured, and now there will be questions over their fitness. And without their key playmaker Paul Pogba, it is going to be a near-impossible ask for United to get anything out of this tie.

Well everyone? What were your thoughts on that? Quite a day of Champions League football, wasn't it? Chaos everywhere. Absolute chaos.

Neymar is incredible,  but I beleive that messi can still make it work
Still make what work? Paris faced United, not Barcelona, mate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:30 pm by Aplatformerdude »

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 05:34 pm »

Still make what work? Paris faced United, not Barcelona, mate.
Oops, I havent caught up in a while lol. Also I kinda skimmed xD
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:07 pm »
Oops, I havent caught up in a while lol. Also I kinda skimmed xD
Barcelona face Olympic Lyonnais, actually. That should be an exciting tie.

Well, let us preview the next day of some glorious Champions League action.

Tottenham Hotspurs (ENGLAND) vs Borussia Dortmund (GERMANY)

Tottenham Hotspurs face Borussia Dortmund in London, as Spurs will look to prove a point against the current Bundesliga leaders. Dortmund themselves have had a run of disappointing games, as their lead on the Bundesliga table was cut from 7 points to 5. The last time these two sides met, (last season, to be exact) Tottenham beat Dortmund 2-1 in Germany. This time, both sides are missing key players. In Spurs' case, their star striker Harry Kane will miss the game through an injury, whereas Dortmund captain Marco Reus will sit out the match as well. To rub salt in the wounds, they will miss Paco Alcacer, Julian Weigl and Lukacz Pizcheck (I am 100% sure I didn't spell his name right) as well. Coming onto the game once more, Tottenham will definitely be considered the favorites, but you would be unwise to rule out Dortmund out. Their midfielder Jadon Sancho is widely considered one of the brightest prospects in Europe, and their midfield is always controlled well by Axel Witsel. Christian Pulisic will be licking his lips as well. Anyway, what are your predictions, everyone? Here are mine.

Tottenham Hotspurs 2-2 Borussia Dortmund. Tottenham to score the first two goals, only to be denied a win by a late Dortmund comeback.

Ajax (NETHERLANDS) vs Real Madrid (SPAIN)

Well well, this certainly promises to be an exciting tie. On one hand, you've got Ajax, who have a lot of youth in their side. On the other, you have Real Madrid, who understandably will head into this game with a major boost following their 3-1 victory over bitter rivals Atletico Madrid. Both sides have a lot to play for. Ajax have not beat the Spanish side since 1995, but you would say their current squad, which includes talents such as De Jong, De Ligt, Onana and Ziyech, is more than capable of changing that. As for Real, their striker Karim Benzema is enjoying a run under the manager Santiago Solari. Benzema has scored 6 goals in his last 6 games. Brazilian winger Vinicius Junior will be one to look out for as well. 

Ajax 1-3 Real Madrid

It is just too easy for Madrid. Ajax might dominate the early stages of the game, but I don't expect Madrid to hold back either. It promises to be a fast-paced game, that's for sure.

Once again, feel free to drop your predictions. I will see you later with more Champions League action.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 06:13 pm »
Real madrid sucks without ronoldo
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:29 pm »
Real madrid sucks without ronoldo
They're not as good as before, yes. But they still have a world-class squad. I feel Solari is a good manager, but he's not made the right decision when it comes to Marcelo and Isco. They're both amazing and should be starting every game. Instead Sergio Reguilon's taken over Marcelo's spot, and Isco... Well, yes, the less said about him, the better.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 06:33 pm »
They're not as good as before, yes. But they still have a world-class squad. I feel Solari is a good manager, but he's not made the right decision when it comes to Marcelo and Isco. They're both amazing and should be starting every game. Instead Sergio Reguilon's taken over Marcelo's spot, and Isco... Well, yes, the less said about him, the better.
I mean, they aren't terrible, but it doesn't feel the same any more
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 06:34 pm »
I mean, they aren't terrible, but it doesn't feel the same any more
True. That 3-0 loss to Eibar was a disgraceful performance and completely unacceptable for a club as big as Madrid.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 06:39 pm »
True. That 3-0 loss to Eibar was a disgraceful performance and completely unacceptable for a club as big as Madrid.
I'm just excited for the next FIFA cup. Will messi be playing in it?
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 06:55 pm »
I'm just excited for the next FIFA cup. Will messi be playing in it?
You mean the FIFA World Cup? I'm not sure about it. It's 4 years away, and there hasn't really been anything official about Messi.

Offline Epicosaurus

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • stop laughing at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 08:39 am »
Spurs 3-2 Dortmund
Ajax 1-2 Real Madrid
9 Bronze
1 Kava Berry
3 Phy Attack Potions
Bulk-Pulse Talisman
S. Void Jinx
1 gold cross sword
1 silver void jinx
1 silver Vortex Axe
1 shadow wraith bow
Sol Stone
10 Deer
2 silver
1 gold
2 fish

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09 am »
Tottenham 2-3 Dortmund
Ajax 1-3 Real Madrid

Offline duck5557474

• House League of Society Leader
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Subscribe to Mumbo Jumbo!
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:03 pm »
I like Football!

*Drawing by Awesomefinnz

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 01:34 pm »
I like Football!
Then is is the perfect thread for you.

Tottenham 2-3 Dortmund
Ajax 1-3 Real Madrid

Dortmund victory, eh? That will be difficult, considering they're missing a few of their starters, but we will see how the game goes.

Spurs 3-2 Dortmund
Ajax 1-2 Real Madrid

Sensible predictions. Pretty likely as well.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 05:21 pm »
After an enthralling game, Tottenham Hotspurs got the win and a very important clean sheet against Borussia Dortmund. Admittedly the English side didn't have an ideal first-half, (which was goalless, and one completely dominated by Dortmund) they stepped things up a notch and came out all guns blazing in the second-half. Heung-Min Son scored a superb volley, Jan Vertonghen assisted his goal, and then got one of his own, as he volleyed it in 7 minutes from time. Substitute Fernando Llorente ensured that Spurs won once more against their German opposition.

Tottenham Hotspurs 3-0 Borussia Dortmund:

Heung Min Son 47' (TOTTENHAM) (ASSIST: Jan Vertonghen), Jan Vertonghen 83' (TOTTENHAM) (ASSIST: Serge Aurier), Fernando Llorente 86' (TOTTENHAM) (ASSIST: Christian Eriksen)

Dortmund had a very impressive first half, but in the second half they simply disappeared. Defensively they were shambolic, their midfield went quiet and Jadon Sancho, who had a very good first 45 minutes, barely got any part of the ball and Dortmund will go into the second leg highly disappointed with that result. That being said, football can be a very unpredictable game, and we might see a shock from the German outfit. Thoughts on this game?

And as most people predicted, Real Madrid got all three points in Amsterdam against Ajax, but the scoreline barely suggests any part of the game itself. Ajax played out of their skins. They were not afraid to hit Real on the break, and created quite a few chances for themselves. In fact, the Eredivisie side had a goal disallowed for offside in the first half; a goal their players thought should have stood. Karim Benzema continued his red-hot form under Santiago Solari as he opened the scoring in the 60th minute. Ajax, however, would not be denied. Hakim Ziyech equalized and Ajax had belief once more. Alas, their hopes of a win were thwarted by a 87th minute winner from substitute Marco Asensio as Ajax ended the game on a bitter note. It is advantage Real Madrid as we now await the second leg. Can Ajax pull off what could arguably the biggest upset in their history? The answer to that question will await us on 5th March, when Dortmund host Tottenham as well.

Ajax 1-2 Real Madrid:

Karim Benzema 60' (MADRID) (ASSIST: Vinicius Junior), Hakim Ziyech 75' (AJAX) (ASSIST: David Neres) Marco Asensio 87' (MADRID) (ASSIST: Dani Carvajal)

Well, what about that! Will Ajax get anything out of the tie when they travel to Madrid? You would be well-advised not to doubt them. But Madrid finally seem to have found their ways and they now look like a very fearsome side. Will they hold on? Alas, we will have to wait for a few weeks for the answer to that question. Well, until then, everyone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:33 pm by Aplatformerdude »

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25 pm »
A couple of updates: I have now decided to add a "Stats" message, where you can see who's leading the goal scorers and assist givers. It will be in the next message. I will also add the names of those who got the assists to the goal-scorers. And as for the next matchday, we will have to wait for 6 more days for that. I will preview that a day before. Until then, everyone, have a good week.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:27 pm by Aplatformerdude »

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 05:49 pm »
                               Goals                                                         Assists

01 Robert Lewandowski   8                    01 Memphis Depay                  4
     Bayern Munich                                     Olympic Lyonnais

02 Lionel Messi               6                    02 Riyad Mahrez                     4
     Barcelona                                            Manchester City

03 Dusan Tadic               5                    03 Kylian Mbappe                   4
     Ajax                                                    Paris Saint-Germain

04 Neymar                     5                    04 Ismaily                             3
     Paris Saint-Germain                              Shakhtar Donetsk       

05 Moussa Marega          5                    05 Lorenzo Pellegrini              3   
     FC Porto                                              Roma

06 Andrej Kramaric         5                    06 Marko Marin                      3
     TSG Hoffenheim                                   Red Star Belgrade

07 Edin Dzeko                5                    07 Achraf Hakimi                    3
     Roma                                                  Borussia Dortmund

08 Paulo Dybala              5                   08 Edin Dzeko                        3
     Juventus                                             Roma

09 Kylian Mbappe            4                  09 Angel Di Maria                    3
     Paris Saint-Germain                            Paris Saint-Germain

10 Harry Kane                 4                 10 Houssem Aouar                   3
     Tottenham Hotspurs                           Olympic Lyonnais

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:59 pm »
Harry kane is playing well
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02 pm »
Harry kane is playing well
He's injured, though. He'll most likely miss the second leg as well.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04 pm »
He's injured, though. He'll most likely miss the second leg as well.
Yeah, I just heard recently about his injury. His team could suffer a bit
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 09:08 am »
Olympic Lyonnais (FRANCE) vs FC Barcelona (SPAIN)

Barcelona travel to Lyon knowing their record against the French side suggests they will win this comfortably. The two sides have faced each other in the Champions League on 6 occasions, with the Catalans winning four of them. It would be unwise to rule out Lyon, however, who go into this game full of confidence after their 2-1 victory against Paris Saint-Germain. The last time these two sides met, (the Round of 16, 2008/09 Champions League) Barcelona went through 6-3 on aggregate. These two sides also went through unbeaten in the Group Stages. Both Barcelona and Lyon have a fresh squad, without any injuries whatsoever to deal with. For Barcelona, it will be imperative that Lionel Messi is at his best. January signing Kevin Prince-Boateng is not expected to start, but could feature off the bench. As for Lyon, all eyes will be on talisman Nabil Fekir. The Frenchman has scored 3 and assisted 2 in 5 games for Lyon. Dutch forward Memphis Depay has not truly been at his best, only scoring 1 goal in 6 games. He will look forward to add his name to the score sheet. Houssem Aouar will be one to look out for as well.

Olympic Lyonnais 3-5 FC Barcelona. Sounds extremely unlikely, but I would not be surprised at all if there are a lot of goals. I expect a very entertaining game.

Liverpool (ENGLAND) vs FC Bayern Munich (GERMANY)

The big game. Liverpool vs Bayern. Merseyside vs Munich. Mohamed Salah vs Robert Lewandowski. Most people consider Liverpool to be the favorites for this first-leg, but Bayern should not be underestimated. In the Bundesliga, they now find themselves a mere 3 points below top-placed Dortmund, when a few weeks ago they were more than 10 points below them. The pressure on Niko Kovac has decreased majorly, and the positivity within the squad has returned once more. As for Liverpool, they have certainly been an enticing team to watch this season. Quality everywhere you can look, Liverpool find themselves competing with Manchester City for the Premier League title. Liverpool have not won the Premier League once in their history, but that might change this season. Bayern have faced Liverpool seven times in European competition, and the German club have only beat them once in those seven game, and that victory came in 1971, when Gerd Muller and Uli Hoeness were on the scoring sheet. Since then, they have never beaten Liverpool. Another stat that might concern Bayern is the fact they have never scored at Anfield in three games. Anfield has become a fortress now, with Liverpool not having been beaten in 19 consecutive European games. Liverpool and Bayern will both miss players. Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk is out due to suspension, whereas Dejan Lovren is injured and is a doubt for the game. As for Bayern, Jerome Boateng will miss the game due to illness, and Franck Ribery might not play due to the birth of his daughter. Despite the absences of key players, both sides have enough quality to ensure we have a thoroughly fascinating and fast-paced game on our hands.

Liverpool 3-1 Bayern Munich. I expect a very good game from Bayern, but ultimately Liverpool are just too good. As a Manchester United fan, it pains me to say this, but Liverpool will win this quite comfortably.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:10 am by Aplatformerdude »

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 10:38 am »
Lyon 1-2 Barcelona
Liverpool 2-1 Bayern Munich

Offline Epicosaurus

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • stop laughing at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 01:25 pm »
Lyon 1-3 Barcelona
Liverpool 3-1 Bayern Munich
9 Bronze
1 Kava Berry
3 Phy Attack Potions
Bulk-Pulse Talisman
S. Void Jinx
1 gold cross sword
1 silver void jinx
1 silver Vortex Axe
1 shadow wraith bow
Sol Stone
10 Deer
2 silver
1 gold
2 fish

Offline Epicosaurus

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • stop laughing at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 06:25 pm »
huh...
9 Bronze
1 Kava Berry
3 Phy Attack Potions
Bulk-Pulse Talisman
S. Void Jinx
1 gold cross sword
1 silver void jinx
1 silver Vortex Axe
1 shadow wraith bow
Sol Stone
10 Deer
2 silver
1 gold
2 fish

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 02:49 pm »
huh...
Precisely my reaction after watching that horrendous game. Dear oh dear, reminds me of that Real Madrid - Manchester City game 3 years ago. Everyone expected a thrilling game, yet it finished 0-0. That and this game were equally dreadful.

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich

The game offered nothing particularly spectacular for the viewer, as both sides, who are filled with great attacking players, failed to score a single goal. Slightly worryingly for Liverpool, Bayern were the better side, even without a few of their starters. They kept possession around, and could've scored a couple of goals, but the woodwork denied them a precious away goal. As for Liverpool, a goal-scoring draw in Munich would see them through on away goals, but if the game on Tuesday is anything to go by, we won't see much entertaining play. I predict a 2-1 victory to Liverpool. I highly doubt we will see more than 3 goals scored in Munich. But regardless, let me know about your predictions.

Olympic Lyonnais 0-0 Barcelona

Yet another disappointing game. Some expected a Lyon upset, a few predicted a hammering of Lyon by the LaLiga leaders Barcelona, but in the end both sets of predictors were left bemused after that game in Lyon. Admittedly, this game was a lot more entertaining than the one in Merseyside, though not by much. Lyon struck the post, Barcelona goalkeeper Marc Andre Ter-Stegen pulled off an outstanding save in the last few minutes to ensure Barcelona kept a clean sheet away from home. But apart from that, the game was extremely uneventful. Lyon's defense deserve applause, however. They kept Barcelona at bay for the most part, and their midfield linked up well. Now, onto the second leg, you can slate me as much as you want, but I expect a Lyon win. Barcelona, who played a very strong lineup, simply couldn't find a way through a Lyon side brimming with confidence and highly determined. A 1-0 or 2-0 Lyon win is my prediction. Let me know about yours.

Also, I apologize, but there won't be a preview for the Schalke-City and Atletico-Juventus game. It is far too late at this point, as those games are a mere 11 minutes away. My apologies.

Online Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 03:43 pm »
0-0 with barcelona, thats odd. I expected my team to win!
8)

Offline mk6520

• JUST DONT LOOK DOWN
  • Guard
  • I am a misfit, I am Christian
    • View Profile
    • mk6520 world
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 02:13 am »
Is this soccer?

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 06:54 am »
Is this soccer?
Yes. (And don't you dare call it "soccer" again)

Offline mk6520

• JUST DONT LOOK DOWN
  • Guard
  • I am a misfit, I am Christian
    • View Profile
    • mk6520 world
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56 am »
Yes. (And don't you dare call it "soccer" again)
Football is a sport with an red football

soccer is a ball that is black and white.