Author Topic: There are Skulls in that Creek! A Review of "Skull Creek" by Ethan2009  (Read 874 times)

Offline duck5557474

• House League of Society Owner
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • 2nd in Command
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
"Skull Creek" by Ethan2009 is an amazing Platformer game with great characters, scenes, and blocks. So, let's get started:

Block Placement: The block placement in "Skull Creek" is quite unique. Throughout most of level one, the player has to swim and run through the dark caves. This makes for quite a unique challenge when it is really dark under all the blocks. My favorite block placement happens to be in level one also, where you have to jump along a path of three wooden posts, without falling into the water. This adds excitement and variety to the game, which makes it more fun.

Enemy Placement: Enemies are used in this game very well. The enemies allow the player to make a decision to either kill all the enemies, or dodge them and move along quickly. Theis allows the player to take the game into their own hands, and to make a decision that could effect the outcome of the game.

Decoration: Overall decoration was pretty interesting for this game. When the player is not in the water, grass and back walls can be found in large quantity. This keeps the game from becoming monotonous, which comes in handy if you decide to kill all the enemies.

Story: This game has some very interesting stories in it. For example, level one introduces you to what you must do throughout the game. You must finish a mission for a guy who has died, but you first have to find why he died. To avoid spoilers, I will just say that the game has some very unique plot details, that you must play the game to see.

Difficulty: Seeing as how the enemies are placed in areas that you can avoid them if you so choose, "Skull Creek" still is quite difficult. It's difficulty makes it all the more exciting to try to beat.

Overall Rankings:

Block Placement: 4/5
Enemy Placement: 5/5
Decoration: 9/10
Story: 10/10
Difficulty: 2/3
Overall: 30/33

This game is extremely fun and exciting. This game should be in the EGD and I hope to see it there quite soon. I hope to see you playing!

*Drawing by Awesomefinnz

Helpful Links~
Follow Me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/duck5557474

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
Nice little review. Sadly I will have to deny this. The structure and content titles were fine but the actual writing lacked the better detail. I found many grammar mistakes too, this made it extremely hard to read and painful. Your description is good but explanation lacks. I can give more feedback if you wish.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
What do you mean it should be in the EGD lol? also what level did u  get to? Nice review, though, thanks!
8)

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
What do you mean it should be in the EGD lol? also what level did u  get to? Nice review, though, thanks!
I’m not too sure? Because EGD is a competition? Maybe he meant EGL? Idk? But there I would disagree.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
You must finish a mission for a guy who has died, but you first have to find why he died.
Part two  ;)
8)

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
I’m not too sure? Because EGD is a competition? Maybe he meant EGL? Idk? But there I would disagree.
Duh  :)) My games are a trillion points away from the egl lol if ryspo and nesting bow cant make it what can anyways xD
8)

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
I meant duh as in my games suck btw not the egd thing
8)

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
Duh  :)) My games are a trillion points away from the egl lol if ryspo and nesting bow cant make it what can anyways xD
ikr it’s super hard to get into there, you gotta be immense

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
ikr it’s super hard to get into there, you gotta be immense
i wish nesting box made it, that game was my long-time inspiration, i wouldnt have ever gotten a single feature without it
8)

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
i wish nesting box made it, that game was my long-time inspiration, i wouldnt have ever gotten a single feature without it
yeah from what I can remember of it it was a nice game, sad.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: There are Skulls in that Creek! A Review of "Skull Creek" by Ethan2009
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 05:56 pm »
yeah from what I can remember of it it was a nice game, sad.
it almost made it, I think one more vote and it would have
8)

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 05:57 pm »
it almost made it, I think one more vote and it would have
damn

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 06:40 pm »
Denied
I am glad that you try to explain your opinions, but it still seems as if you don't fully know WHY you feel the way you do about the game, and so your analysis is very shallow, for example: "The enemies allow the player to make a decision to either kill all the enemies, or dodge them and move along quickly" Surface level analysis like this is of no value to readers, and only serves to tell us what we already know about the game.

You also willingly handicap yourself at points, in your Story section you shy away from deeper analysis because you don't want to "spoil" it for readers. Feel free to speak upon any element of the game when reviewing, spoilers are expected.

Your writing is confusing as well, sometimes even totally incoherent, which only further obfuscates your points. While I am dissatisfied with your writing, you have a sound grasp upon the elements required for great analysis. I'm sure that once you learn to better articulate yourself your opinions on Sploder games will be sought after.

(you may re-apply in 2 WEEKS, unless other Recruiters offer an opposing verdict)

Offline duck5557474

• Soldier
  • Launcher
  • 2nd in Command
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:27 pm »

Sorry, I meant EGL and I got to level 2, then I died.

*Drawing by Awesomefinnz

Helpful Links~

Offline duck5557474

• Soldier
  • Launcher
  • 2nd in Command
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 11:30 pm »
Nice little review. Sadly I will have to deny this. The structure and content titles were fine but the actual writing lacked the better detail. I found many grammar mistakes too, this made it extremely hard to read and painful. Your description is good but explanation lacks. I can give more feedback if you wish.

If it is not a problem, I would like more feedback. I cannot find any grammar mistakes, so where did you see them?

*Drawing by Awesomefinnz

Helpful Links~

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 06:05 am »
Ryspo never got suggested even though it was a prize of EGD to get suggested. After thinking about it after my review I would've probably voted yes. I remember Nesting Box being cool but not quite epic, but I don't remember it too well

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14 am »
Ryspo never got suggested even though it was a prize of EGD to get suggested. After thinking about it after my review I would've probably voted yes. I remember Nesting Box being cool but not quite epic, but I don't remember it too well
Nesting box beat cooporators, and co-op made EGL. Nesting box pretty much reolutionized underground levels, along with Gaminators inner worlds, which I ALSO think is EGL worthy, but idk
8)