Author Topic: "Christmas in a Nutshell"-A review of Saving Snow by mario10007  (Read 1037 times)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
  • Let's make sploder 2020 POSSIBLE
    • View Profile
This is my seventh attempt to become a reviewer. This time I’m going to put my feedback of balanced difficulty in the gameplay section as it makes it easier to write. Also, it might be easier to read that way.

I know for a fact that Mario10007 is a great game maker. I’ve played lots of his games and they’ve never failed to put a smile across my face. So, I decided to look through his page and I found this game. The title does make you want to play the game as it makes you think why you might be saving snow. It is a pretty nice name as it has alliteration which can make you more hooked in. It makes the title sound better as a whole. The thumbnail had a nice-looking scenery, so it gets you hooked in even more. I wanted to see more of this beauty, so I decided to play it.

Firstly, I will go over the gameplay. When you first get into the game there is an invincible switch that summons lots of hoppers. This is bad because it puts pressure on you as there are too many. Keep in mind, that this is only at the start of the game. This can be fixed by reducing the number of hoppers. I can see the effort put in though with the link logic as Mario10007 linked different hoppers to different barriers. He did this so you can defeat all of them at once instead of having to defeat one at once. It could be boring if one came at once and I didn’t want to be bored. Straight away, I can see collectables in the game. This made the game have more content which I liked. I could discover more and enjoy the game more. I had to put the effort in to get the collectables because there are obstacles to get to them. When I did get them, I was happy because I got rewarded and thanked them for it. This lightens the mood and that is great for a game. I found some creativity in this game. You must jump on the bird’s head to get to a high platform and that’s outside the box because the birds are meant to be an enemy that ascends. This makes you think more and get into the game more. This is on the positive side, because of that. I thought that the spaces for the enemies were too small and that makes the game unbalanced in difficulty. This made me frown because it puts too much pressure on you when playing which makes it less enjoyable to play. Especially, if this is at an early level. You can fix this by making the enemy spaces bigger and making them smaller later in the game. When you hit the time-limit switches there are too many platforms to get past. This is on an early level and may make you rage. Most people want to relax while playing a game and not have a bad time stressing. The game had some puzzles in it as well. An example of this is where you must turn a switch off to get past the tunnel because there is a log in the way. The log goes down if you’re on it, but you can’t be in the water to do that. You don’t get told this, so it is a puzzle. This makes you have more of a variety of gameplay. I think that’s enough about the gameplay but why are we on this adventure fighting these enemies in the first place?

I will go over the story now. The story is this. You are just walking through the forest when you notice that the bushes are not covered in snow. It is Christmas while this is happening so this is the explanation for the snow. A story needs reasoning because it makes it clearer to us which is good. You find out that an evil scientist is doing this, and he is stealing people’s presents. He causes pollution so that explains why snow goes away. This is not all crammed in at the beginning which is positive. It is positive because it builds up the story more and you can remember the story which helps you. Also, the story is used as scenery. Mario10007 made the ice and the bushes green to represent grass. He started off with an icy scenery, but he made it gradually disappear while the story went on. This really put a smile to my face because that is creative. I found something that I didn’t like though and it is about the desert. In world two you are in a desert and there is no reason why you are there. This can leave some people confused so they can’t find out why. You can fix this by adding a reason why you are there. What did it look like while you were on this adventure, you may ask? Let’s go over that now. 

I will go over the scenery now. The game looked quite nice. The icy textures worked well with the background because the background wasn't too light or dark. The bushes weren't too light or dark and I think the similar shades work well together. There was lots of scenery everywhere which is great. This is because you have more things to look at and not get bored with the same scenery. The scenery did get repeated a bit as there were bushes everywhere. This is a negative because it’s boring for some people to look at the same things. Sometimes, the scenery was part of the gameplay. An example of this is with the cactus in the desert. This has a good effect because you can look at some nice stuff while enjoying the game's obstacles and creativity.

Ratings,

Gameplay- 4 stars ★★★★ Was fun but had its faults.

Creativity- 5 stars- ★★★★★ There was nothing uncreative about it

Story- ★★★★ 4 stars- Just needs a bit more reasoning.

Scenery- ★★★★★ 5 stars- The game looked nice 

Balanced Difficulty- ★★★ 3 stars-It can be more balanced

Overall ★★★★ ½ 4 ½ stars- This game was enjoyable and creative to play. It just needs some improvements.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:54 am by sparrowblue »
From your friend, sparrow.:D

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: "Christmas in a Nutshell"-A review of Saving Snow by mario10007
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:21 am »
Meh, Denied, this isn't a bad review. However, you said some confusing things like when you skipped over proper arcade terminology and said "hoppers". There is no way to know if you mean jumpies, enemies in general, or something else not implied. There was also a very limited vocabulary in this review, and it was choppy and different to follow in some sections. You may reapply in one week in June 8th.
8)

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:26 am »
Meh, Denied, this isn't a bad review. However, you said some confusing things like when you skipped over proper arcade terminology and said "hoppers". There is no way to know if you mean jumpies, enemies in general, or something else not implied. There was also a very limited vocabulary in this review, and it was choppy and different to follow in some sections. You may reapply in one week in June 8th.
Proper terminology can all be learnt very quickly, it's unfair to deny someone based on such a thing.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:30 am »
I don't think Ethan denied it solely because of that, but rather focused his reasoning on that. I would recommend maybe expanding on the latter parts of your reasoning, Ethan.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:34 am »
I don't think Ethan denied it solely because of that, but rather focused his reasoning on that. I would recommend maybe expanding on the latter parts of your reasoning, Ethan.
Did I imply that he denied solely based on that? No. I think it's a silly thing to include in a critique of a review at all. Terminology is fluid, Sparrow wasn't speaking in tongues, Hoppers obviously means Jumpies.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 09:38 am »
Did I imply that he denied solely based on that? No. I think it's a silly thing to include in a critique of a review at all. Terminology is fluid, Sparrow wasn't speaking in tongues, Hoppers obviously means Jumpies.

I know that's not what you meant, but it did sound like it from your post. I definitely agree it shouldn't be a critique but rather just be pointed out as I do also see where Ethan is coming from about it being confusing. Maybe I'm just stupid, but jumpies didn't come to mind when I read hoppers.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 09:50 am »
I simply pointed it out, is that a crime?
8)

Offline Rockyroad797

• Thunder X
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Hi there.
    • View Profile
    • The Ultra Fun Plaza
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 02:56 am »
You did the same mistake again. I told you not to repetitively start every paragraph. It makes it uninteresting to read. You fixed that in your previous review but you are back to where you began now. You used the phrase "I will go on the .... now" or something similar for each paragraph, try to avoid that and use different ways to start paragraphs.

CHAMPIONS!