Author Topic: "Mythical Madness"-A review of Witch Chaos by mat7772lordeldar  (Read 393 times)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
  • Let's make sploder 2020 POSSIBLE
    • View Profile
This is my sixth attempt to become a reviewer.

So, I know for a fact that lordeldar and mat7772 have had many features. I have high expectations for this game. The thumbnail looks amazing as it shows some awesome scenery. A house has an outstanding design. Scenery and platforms have been merged together to make this house. This is very creative. The title gives us clues about the game and makes us think more about it. The title will get you hooked in as you want to answer your questions by playing. So, let’s play this, shall we.

Firstly, I will go over the gameplay. The game starts off when you are going through a village to collect some stuff and you get to explore. This is good because it gives a nice feeling to you and it makes you want to discover more about the game itself. There are creative ideas like having link logic activate bridges. The switch is invincible, so it makes it feel less random. This idea is very random though and that’s bad. It’s bad because it makes you confused and wonder why a bridge has suddenly just appeared. Mat7772lordeldar can fix this by getting rid of this completely. There was a creative obstacle in the village that I liked. You had to stop the mushrooms by jumping at the right time to get to the flower. This is good because it makes you have puzzles while playing and that makes you think more. This gives you different varieties of gameplay as well. There are collectables in this game, and this is good. It’s good because it gives you points and the game rewards you for doing so. This makes you feel more encouraged and happier. This game has many fights that have an immense amount of link logic. When you kill one enemy, another one appears. Mat7772lordeldar does this with 2 enemies at a time giving the player more action. This is good because it gets you more used to fighting. It’s also good because doing this amount of link logic takes effort. There are obstacles in the way while you are trying to get the collectables. An example of this is where you must swim underwater and a coin activates a necklace to appear. You must do this while dodging fish. This is good because it makes you put more effort and time into the game, and you feel proud afterwards. Also, this makes you enjoy the game more. There are many different routes to take in this game. This is good because if you fail at one route then you can explore another route and maybe enjoy yourself more on the other one. Sometimes, the game forces you to take one certain route. An example of this is where you must kill an enemy on a hill and not on the lower ground. This is good but it’s also bad. It’s good because it makes you discover more about the game. It’s bad because you might not know that you need to go to the other route. You might get confused. Mat7772lordeldar needs to put signs to show you where to go. There is an immense amount of link logic put in with lots of things at a time. An example of this is where switches activate the platforms to go down. Enemies are required to be killed to make these switches appear. This idea is good because it makes you put in more effort. Some of the obstacles are timed. An example of this is where you must dodge a wall shooter that shoots down this wall for you. You must jump on the platforms(wall) before they are destroyed entirely. This is good because it makes you pay more attention. Why are you getting past all these mythical worlds in the first place, you may ask? I think it’s time I went over the story.

The story is about witches just like the title told us briefly. It’s good that the title gives you clues on the story because it makes you wonder and more excited for the game. The story is this. You live in a village and play with your friend Mat. There are scrolls that are used as letters. This is creative because there is not an actual piece of standard paper. You come across a wizard that is being threatened because he might have magic matter. The people who are threatening him are some witches. These witches are put in a negative approach, so it makes it more obvious to you who you are trying to stop. Eventually, the witches kill the wizard. You might feel more emotion for the wizard because he was made innocent. It’s good that emotion is brought out to you because you get more memory of what you are concerned about. You must stop the witches from getting a cure for something evil. There is not much reasoning behind why they need a cure though. This is bad because it makes you confused and you don’t know the point of traveling through the cave. Mat is not mentioned that often after World 1. This is bad because it seems like there is no point of putting him in the game if he doesn’t really do anything in it. The world ideas did not fit in with the story and had no reasoning behind them. You must go through a cave that has the cure, but we don’t even get told why the cure is in the cave. There needs to be more reasoning. How did the worlds look, you might say? Let’s go over that now.

The scenery was good and bad at times. Here's why. There is a bunch of sceneries combined to make one certain location. An example of this is in the woods where there are lots of trees, bushes and stone hedges. There are bigger trees in the background as well. It’s good that there are lots of sceneries combined as it gives you a variety of things to look at. There were some examples of the scenery being an obstacle. A good example of scenery being an obstacle is a tree that you can climb to the top of. Once, you’re on the top of the tree you can jump to the hills. This is good because it is very creative. The scenery was not repeated that often. The only time it was repeated is when the trees were spammed. Spammed scenery is bad because it shows that less effort has been put in and it’s not very nice to look at the same scenery. You can fix spammed scenery by replacing it with different sceneries. It gets a bit confusing with the scenery in world two. This is because the background color looks weird as it’s purple. This is in the same forest that was in world one. This is not very creative, and it just puts you off. This is bad because it makes you have less concentration when you don’t have to think about it. In world three I got confused because there was the default background with random green trees. This is not like a cave at all and it puts you off again. The scenery soon changes though to an actual cave. This is good because it makes you feel more comfortable, but it makes you confused as well. The reason why you might get confused is because there is no reason why it has changed. There is one good reason that there were green trees in the first section. This reason is that it looks like the forest in world two and it makes you experience that you are traveling from one place to another. This is good because the game makes it clear to you how you traveled, and it is creative. You can fix the problem of the forest in world three by the game telling you what’s going on. How difficult was it traveling from one place to another, you may ask? I will answer that now.

Finally, I will go over the difficulty. The game starts off easy. There are obstacles in the first few areas but none of them make you take damage. An example of this is where you must do some jumps over the hills. This is good because it gets you used to the game and the purpose of it. Also, it gets you used to the difficulty. There are many lives at the beginning and after checkpoints. This is good because it keeps you encouraged to beat that part of the game. When you’re encouraged it helps you beat the game. It’s always good when the game helps you. I did just mention checkpoints and now I will go over that. It’s good that the game has checkpoints because they make the game not too difficult and help make certain areas stand out more to you. Checkpoints help you as they bring you back to the start of an area. You get to figure out what to do when you respawn, and you don’t forget. This is good because you don’t rage, and you will enjoy the game more. The game helps you when there is a higher difficulty, and this makes it more balanced. There is a part in the forest where you are forced to take damage from the prickly things. This is bad because it is not possible to dodge and that means there is no point in that obstacle being there. If there is no point, then it is just a waste of your time. You might be low on health and die because of this random obstacle. Mat7772lordeldar can fix this by using the prickly things in another way that will be possible to dodge. The obstacles gradually become more difficult which balances the difficulty more. This is good because you don’t get bored of obstacles that need less effort. The earlier obstacles prepare you for the harder obstacles in the later levels. This is good because it gets you used to different types of difficulty, so you feel more comfortable.

Ratings,

Gameplay- ★★★★ 4 stars-It was fun most of the time

Imagination (Creativity) ★★★★★ 5 stars-This is one of the most creative games I’ve ever played

Story ★★★★ 4 stars-Needs more reasoning

Scenery ★★★ ½ 3 ½ stars-It had its ups and downs

Balanced Difficulty ★★★★1/2 4 ½ stars-It was mostly balanced

Overall, this was a fun and creative game to play. There was a huge variety of obstacles and they were all unique. This game just needs some minor improvements. Well done, Mat7772lordeldar!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:46 pm by sparrowblue »
From your friend, sparrow.:D

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: "Mythical Madness"-A review of Witch Chaos by mat7772lordeldar
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 03:48 pm »
I will have to deny this. Firstly, your wording was fatally repetitive in the sense that you would say "_____ is bad. _____ is bad because", and you would proceed to say that after every aspect of the game. You also contradicted yourself a bit and didn't seem to grasp the game. You said the scenery was awesome in some places, didn't really elaborate on it, and then went on to say the scenery was "spammed" which is highly disagreeable for Witch chaos, a game which would be in the EGL if the forums weren't deleted at the time. It's okay to say the scenery is spammed, or that is bad, even in an EGL game, but the reasoning you said it was (just because there was a lot of one type of object) is very faulty judgments on that part. I would say you need to take out the repetitive wording, tell why you feel the way you say you do with each aspect of the game, and then tighten the review a little bit. I would even go as far as to say this is a sort of downgrade from your last review. Keep trying, though, not a bad review, overall!
8)

Offline lordeldar

• Lidl man
  • Lieutenant
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 03:49 pm »
Thanks for the review but I think you misunderstood a few things about the game. In the story, it's mentioned that you are cursed and you are finding ingredients for an antidote to cure yourself. It's also mentioned that Mat is killed off in world 1, and I'm not sure if it's specifically mentioned but it's implied from the australian dialect that the instructions for the antidote (Which you read as you go through) are written by Mat.

Also, the section with unavoidable objects was done because we wanted the player to have low health for the bird section. It wouldn't be very challenging with full health.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:55 pm by lordeldar »

Achievements:
57 features (62 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Lt
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51 pm »
Thanks for the review but I think you misunderstood a few things about the game. In the story, it's mentioned that you are cursed and you are finding ingredients for an antidote to cure yourself. It's also mentioned that Mat is killed off in world 1, and I'm not sure if it's specifically mentioned but it's implied from the australian dialect that the instructions for the antidote (Which you read as you go through) are written by Mat.

Also, the section with unavoidable objects was done because we wanted the player to have low health for the bird section. It wouldn't be very challenging with full health. And Mat will cry hard when you diss the trees level, he loves them :))
Nah, you misunderstood the game, the game was the cursed thing, not you.  8)
8)