Author Topic: [RELEASED] Redemption by Aplatformerdude  (Read 328 times)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
  • My sense of humor is atrocious.
    • View Profile
[RELEASED] Redemption by Aplatformerdude
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:00 pm »
So, this is a game I first started working on sometime in early 2017. However, when I left, it was just... There. I did not know how to work on it since there was something wrong with my computer, and I was about to leave Sploder as well. But now that I have returned, and my computer is working fine once more, I am happy to reveal that I have successfully recovered the game, or at least what I had managed to make in that short time.  (1 level really, but there were nonetheless a lot of objects in that one, so I'm glad I was able to recover it) I have decided to make a few changes to the game; I have changed it's name from "What We Have Come To" to "Redemption", I changed the plot slightly, and a few other things I will not reveal... For now, at least.

Plot: We play as a former police officer Andrew Wilkins. When the mayor of Bridgetown (Albert) reveals to Andrew the threat that the hostile citizens of Formalia had sent to Bridgetown, Andrew does not make much of it, until he wakes up one night to screams and gunfire... Formalia had attacked Bridgetown. Andrew is forced underground with a few other survivors. Join Andrew on his journey to reclaim his beloved town from those who do not have any rights over it.

Level 1: The Peace Before The War (Done)
Level 2: The Ambush (Done)
Level 3: The Plan (Done)
Level 4: The Resistance (Done)
Level 5: A Horrible Realization (Done)
Level 6: The Battle For Bridgetown (Done)
Level 7: The Reconstruction (Done)
Level 8: Bonus Level (Done)

Please note level 8 does not have any relation to the game itself, it merely provides a few facts about the making of it.
Screenshots:

(None available at the moment. Expect more soon)

EDIT: So, yes, about that. It appears I cannot post screenshots. Pity.

Release date:

Sometime between 4-12 February I think.

EDIT: This game was released on 6th February.

Now, I am aware that all of my games suggest that this shall be a terrible one as well, but I assure you I have changed my ways. In the future, I intend on making games that weren't made within half an hour, which was the case with nearly every single game I have made on Sploder. Anyway, if you have any suggestions, let me know about them, and I will try to make the game better. I have always said criticism is key to success as well, so any feedback is appreciated. Thank you for dropping by and have a good day.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:35 pm by Aplatformerdude »
Remorse does not atone for the actions of the guilty.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
Re: Redemption - Aplatformerdude
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:09 pm »
hyped
8)

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:31 pm »
I am facing one small problem, however; the graphics. http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342232.0.html I'd prefer checking that before you read more, but er, yes. As you can see, I'm having trouble looking for other graphics, and I'm not sure what to do next. I am thinking whether or not I should scrap this whole idea and simply use a general instead. Any suggestions regarding this troublesome issue? I'd be glad to hear them.

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:34 pm »
Sounds fun man, I’m hyped

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
Re: [HYPE] Redemption by Aplatformerdude
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:58 am »
UPDATE: Due to a few... Events that have happened to me, events that have left me depressed to the point of loneliness, I am not going to work on the game for a little while. http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342262.msg3978267.html#new this topic shall explain why. I am delaying work on this game, at least for now. I don't know when I'll start working on it again, but I can guarantee it won't be anytime soon. I'm not going to end this project, no. I only need a break from things. I hope everyone can understand why.

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:39 pm »
No problem man, you look after yourself

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 01:30 pm »
So... I have been fairly depressed these past couple of days, that I shall not argue against, but despite that, I have decided to resume work on my game. But I am facing a complication; the graphics. After several futile attempts, I could not find the user I mentioned before. THAT changes a lot. And I need your thoughts, everyone. Should I use the general instead?

Offline Awesomefinnz

• Kyle The Wraith
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Role-Playing Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31 pm »
what kind of graphics do u need from the user?

Kyle The Wraith

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:45 pm »
I would send you a screenshot, but I have no idea how to do that here. Either I'm dumb or there's something wrong with the Forums.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:51 pm »
I would send you a screenshot, but I have no idea how to do that here. Either I'm dumb or there's something wrong with the Forums.
Code: [Select]
[img]link to the image[/img]
Upload the image to any image hosting medium (Discord works with this), and then copy the Link Address into the "link to the image" part.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 01:53 pm »
Upload the image to any image hosting medium (Discord works with this), and then copy the Link Address into the "link to the image" part.
Thank you.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 02:02 pm »
My apologies, but I simply cannot post it. I'm bewildered as to why it isn't working, seeing as how I did what you suggested.
Graphics of civilians. The user had made quite a few of those, and I was intending to use them in my game. Alas, that is no longer possible. It seems I shall have to use generals, instead. Pity.

Offline Awesomefinnz

• Kyle The Wraith
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Role-Playing Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12 pm »
I could try to make you some, but it will take some time as im busy with other stuff

Kyle The Wraith

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 02:14 pm »
I could try to make you some, but it will take some time as im busy with other stuff
Oh no, it is not necessary. But thank you for the tempting offer nonetheless. I suppose I'll have to use generals.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 02:15 pm »
My apologies, but I simply cannot post it. I'm bewildered as to why it isn't working, seeing as how I did what you suggested. 
Which image hosting site was it uploaded to? Does your link end in an image format (.png, .jpg etc)?

Graphics of civilians. The user had made quite a few of those, and I was intending to use them in my game. Alas, that is no longer possible. It seems I shall have to use generals, instead. Pity.
I could make some civilians, just give me the details. Here's an example of my work. I can easily adapt my style to your liking.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 02:19 pm »
Which image hosting site was it uploaded to? Does your link end in an image format (.png, .jpg etc)?
I uploaded it to Discord, as you suggested. And yes, it ended with that. Now, regarding your offer, I don't want to impose. It is your choice.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 02:21 pm »
^ I have no idea why my message turned into a quote.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 02:22 pm »
I uploaded it to Discord, as you suggested. And yes, it ended with that. Now, regarding your offer, I don't want to impose. It is your choice.
I'd be happy to. PM me more details as to how you want the civilians to look, and maybe some reference images.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 04:16 am »
UPDATE: I am abandoning work on Level 6. There are a few different reasons for that, but for now I'll keep them a secret. I wouldn't want to spoil it, after all! And I am happy to reveal that the progress on my game is going remarkably well. It might be out in a couple of days.

Offline Awesomefinnz

• Kyle The Wraith
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Role-Playing Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 10:32 am »
UPDATE: I am abandoning work on Level 6. There are a few different reasons for that, but for now I'll keep them a secret. I wouldn't want to spoil it, after all! And I am happy to reveal that the progress on my game is going remarkably well. It might be out in a couple of days.
Kool! I cant wait for it to be out.

Kyle The Wraith

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 01:08 pm »
The game is out, everyone.

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/aplatformerdude/play/redemption/

Frankly, I do not think many will consider this as a GREAT game, but I do hope that you can find it a good way to pass the time. Indeed, that was my intention while working on the game; I may not have been aiming for something jaw-dropping, but I still wanted the one playing the game to have a good time. Well, what are you waiting for? Go ahead, tell me your thoughts.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14 pm »
Nevermind, everyone. Do not play the game right now, apparently there's a bug that's preventing the player to open a door in level 3. I shall fix it straight away. My apologies. I will delete this message once it has been fixed.

Offline Awesomefinnz

• Kyle The Wraith
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • Role-Playing Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Pencilverse
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 01:29 pm »
Nevermind, everyone. Do not play the game right now, apparently there's a bug that's preventing the player to open a door in level 3. I shall fix it straight away. My apologies. I will delete this message once it has been fixed.
Take ur time my dud  ;D

Kyle The Wraith

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 01:47 pm »
When making a Sploder RPG, always consider that text is annoying to read. Trim text that has no greater narrative purpose, especially if it offers nothing of flavor to worldbuilding.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 02:18 pm »
When making a Sploder RPG, always consider that text is annoying to read. Trim text that has no greater narrative purpose, especially if it offers nothing of flavor to worldbuilding.
Quite rightly said. I am certain you shall find out why the game is like that. All you need to do is reach the last level of the game. Speaking of which, it appears that it is the simple matter of closer malfunction. Most of them appear to be blocking the progress of the player, despite being perfectly placed. As such, I have had to remove many closers, but there might still be more I have managed to miss. As always, I shall let everyone know when the game is in perfect condition.

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 02:34 pm »
There we go, everyone. The game is ready at last.

Offline lordeldar

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: [RELEASED] Redemption by Aplatformerdude
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 09:19 am »
Some of the text is so long I have to jump and pause just to read it. At the end of level 2 I collected the crystal then a wall of text appeared which I didn't have time to read. I'm also not sure why you thought it would be a good idea to add a 62 enemy destroy all enemies level where 61 of the 62 enemies are the same and they don't offer anything except their existence. Furthermore, the ending level makes it seem like you lack confidence in the game, and it almost feels like you're apologising for the game not being what you wanted it to be. Imo, instead of apologising you should've put more time into making it what you want, especially when you even admitted you don't think it's feature worthy despite that being your goal

Achievements:
54 features (59 including collabs)
MSM
Reviewer
Editor
Soldier
Voted best Private of 2011
Voted best MSM of 2012 and 2013
Voted best Lt of 2014

Offline Aplatformerdude

• Andrew
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 09:57 am »
Some of the text is so long I have to jump and pause just to read it. At the end of level 2 I collected the crystal then a wall of text appeared which I didn't have time to read. I'm also not sure why you thought it would be a good idea to add a 62 enemy destroy all enemies level where 61 of the 62 enemies are the same and they don't offer anything except their existence. Furthermore, the ending level makes it seem like you lack confidence in the game, and it almost feels like you're apologising for the game not being what you wanted it to be. Imo, instead of apologising you should've put more time into making it what you want, especially when you even admitted you don't think it's feature worthy despite that being your goal
I intended to make a game which felt as realistic as possible. And, as you might know, I will not make that mistake in the future. Another reason I did not spend more time into a game of higher quality was because shortly after I started work on the final 2 levels, I managed to land myself a job. Thus, it would have been extremely foolish to even think about working on a better game than the one I was making at that moment. In fact, my job will only make game-making more difficult. Nevertheless, I shall try my best. I will gladly accept any criticism anyone has to offer, so I ask that you give your honest opinion on this game, regardless of it being positive, or negative.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 10:05 am »
I intended to make a game which felt as realistic as possible.
When translating realism into gameplay, only filter through the best elements of reality. These are the elements that we remember, small, annoying details of reality should not make it in, as they only serve as a detriment to gameplay and a reminder of reality's many inconveniences.

When it comes to worldbuilding (text etc), a believable world is more fascinating than a realistic world, and yet both have a satisfying level of consistency. Rather than mimic the systems of reality, learn why they work and create new, more interesting systems for your game's world.