Author Topic: [Reviewer App] Let's Take a Ride! - A Review of Ride by mat7772  (Read 498 times)

Offline Firepinch

• The Messenger
  • Turret
  • abc
    • View Profile
If there is one thing that you ever learn about me, I want you to know how much I hate riding in cars. They make me feel sick, I'm assuming that's because they're so hot and I have nothing to do in them but look out of a window. But despite my past experiences with these hazardous machines, I still found great joy in the game that I'm about to review, which is Ride, by mat7772.

A great song has a great hook, and games should too! Of course, hooks need to gain a players' attention, and the rest of the game should keep it. I think Ride does a pretty good job with this. You begin the game by eating an atomic powerup, which allows you to break through a bunch of weak walls and Nitro cubes. At the same time, you are being attacked by a disruptor, a mortar, and a bunch of enemy bots. All in all, you're basically thrown into a warzone. There is no build up, no suspense, it catches your attention right away, and somehow, it's able to keep you on your toes throughout the rest of the game!

Family can get really annoying sometimes, after all, you're with them all the time. But the first thing I noticed in Ride was how everything was related. If you look at the map, everything is connected from the starting point, and as you can tell, you're going to need a detailed plan on how you're going to make that work. One example of how well thought out Ride was, is how Matty used the switches to manipulate the maze part of the game. Each one introduced new enemies and changed the overall layout of that specific area. However, since everything is connected, there aren't going to be multiple island-like regions similar to most of the shooters we find here on Sploder, but, there are a few problems with that. The first one would be how fast-paced the game is, yet somehow the atmosphere and concept change throughout each part of the game, so I don't find this as a huge problem. Second of all, I found a loss of direction in multiple parts of the game. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I think he could've done better with this aspect of the game. Regardless, I still commend Matty for being able to connect everything within the game and actually make it work together.

Another thing that I felt was noteworthy is how much variety there was throughout the game. There were countless types of enemies that you had to fight, especially towards the end. Matty also included different varieties of playing fields, such as the battlefield and the maze. If he hadn't put in so much variety, it would've gotten boring really fast, but as I said before, a good game needs to catch the players attention and be able to keep it. I think Matty does a pretty good job with this by switching things up throughout the game.

Ride had some pretty cool features, I think Matty had gotten very creative with the use of different items and enemies throughout the game. For example, the red spider during the battle with the blue spider was unique because it became a moving object that you had to avoid, which is something you probably wouldn't have expected. I think it's really important for games to stand out, after all, there's a lot of games out there, and people won't want to play it if it doesn't have something new to offer.

Pros: Interesting, a wide variety of everything, creative use of enemies and items.
Cons: Loss of direction, too easy.

And there you have it, folks! I hope you enjoyed my review of Ride, it was a pleasure writing it. But if there is one thing that you've learned from this review, I want you to know how great of a game designer Matty is, and how much potential he has as an artist overall. This really goes to show how creative he can be, and how he can take just one small idea and turn it into a whole revolution.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
Re: [Reviewer App] Let's Take a Ride! - A Review of Ride by mat7772
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58 pm »
Denied

You make some really good points throughout the review (for example, "There is no build up, no suspense, it catches your attention right away, and somehow, it's able to keep you on your toes throughout the rest of the game!") yet you don't actually explain why - I still don't understand why being swarmed by enemies is a good choice for this game because you didn't tell me in the review.

Your review was also a bit too much on the short side. We've all heard it before, but while the generic "quality over quantity" statement is true, there just wasn't enough. This was probably also caused partly from you failing to explain deeper why things were placed where they were etc.

On the other hand, your grammar is good and I don't remember encountering anything wrong with that. Your review had a decent structure and you're on your way to getting the reviewer badge, but the lack of content is holding you back. Of course, I'm not saying to get a huge word count to make it longer - definitely don't ramble - but remember to get away with a short review it needs to be of really high quality.

Good luck next time you apply, I'm looking forward to it.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 01:00 pm »
You need to explain yourself, for example when you say that the game's fast-pacedness is a problem, without telling us WHY, soon after this you mention navigation, yet again without explaining yourself.

To elaborate upon the navigation comment; you also called yourself an idiot, a good reviewer should know when to blame the game and when to blame the player. You could have replayed the game to better realize your feeling about the game's navigation, I really dislike when an analysis tells me there's ' just something about it '. You are not convincing me at all when you offer such broad statements, I need proof and I need YOUR perspective.

I feel as if you missed the point with your comment about variety ( as variety isn't solely based upon how many different enemies are used ) but that won't have much effect on my verdict.

Denied - you hit some high notes, but the review is weighed down by some confusing writing and a lack of depth

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 01:03 pm »
Your review was also a bit too much on the short side. We've all heard it before, but while the generic "quality over quantity" statement is true, there just wasn't enough. This was probably also caused partly from you failing to explain deeper why things were placed where they were etc.

I disagree, this review was of a fine size in my opinion, there were even some parts that I felt he could have trimmed. His analysis is mostly sound, just poor analytical process here and there that knocked the review down for me.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 01:35 pm »
I disagree, this review was of a fine size in my opinion, there were even some parts that I felt he could have trimmed. His analysis is mostly sound, just poor analytical process here and there that knocked the review down for me.

Maybe I have too high expectations for that because my reviews are generally quite lengthy. But yeah the main issue is the lack of reasoning for why things in the game were made that way.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Firepinch

• The Messenger
  • Turret
  • abc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 01:46 pm »
There were multiple times where I didn't explain myself and replaced it for the word somehow as if the reader could read my mind. Another issue here is the fact that didn't go into detail as to why certain things were an issue. I feel like some of them may have been self-explanatory, but it's still something I should've included just to make sure the reader and I were on the same page.

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'm going to write some more reviews ASAP!

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:29 pm »
I guess it doesn't matter now, but I thought it was a really good review, but I agree with bricc a lot
8)

Offline sparrowblue

• Speeder
  • Let's make sploder 2020 POSSIBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 03:15 pm »
I think this is a really good review but you need to have more reasoning with it.I struggled with that when I wrote my review but I believe that you can become a reviewer and don't call yourself an idiot in a review.If you say "I think it was just me" then that's still bad necause you have to be sure when it comes to writing reviews.Try to replay the game to get more information so you can increase the context.I liked the review though and I loved the way you keep everybody entertained during the review which is hard to pull off.You have potential though.I'm not a recruiter so I can't accept or deny this but I have faith in you.I'm not a reviewer yet but hopefully I will and you will too.Well Done! :D
From your friend, sparrow.:D