Author Topic: MONSTER MADNESS #4 A Nightmare on Elm Street series review  (Read 93 times)

Offline kingofdanerds

• Kingofdanerds, PhD Memeology
  • Cruiser
  • It's 3AM. I must be lonely
    • View Profile
MONSTER MADNESS #4 A Nightmare on Elm Street series review
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:57 am »
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET series

A Nightmare on Elm Street is possibly one of the scariest slasher series of all time. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre made people scared of chainsaws and Texas, Halloween made people scared of Halloween, Friday the 13th made people scared of camping in the woods, and A Nightmare on Elm Street took a different route. The series decided to make people scared of sleeping. There are 9 films and a TV show (which is on every now and then). The series was created by Wes Craven who created the classic Hills Have Eyes and would eventually create another slasher series. Scream. The movies are mostly about Freddy Krueger who was a child killer who was then burned alive by a group of parents. Freddy then comes back and haunts people via their dreams. What makes these films different, is each film is connected and each film is not the same thing over and over again like the Friday the 13th series. So, let’s delve in to the world of Freddy Krueger and review the films that make up A Nightmare on Elm Street.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

1984 was the year of greatness in the movies. We had The Terminator, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop, Temple of Doom, and many more. But most importantly, there was A Nightmare on Elm Street. A movie that is said to be one of the best in the slasher genre and one of the scariest. The film had great success with critics and the box office and has since become a classic. I do need to mention that Johnny Depp is in this film. Well, without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

We see this girl named Tina wake up from a nightmare involving a mysterious man. She tells her friend Nancy and she stays at Nancy’s house that night along with her boyfriend and Nancy’s boyfriend Glen (played by Johnny Depp). Tina has a nightmare which involves her being chased by the mysterious man. While she is in the dream world, her boyfriend is laying next to her and sees her moving around and eventually witnesses claw marks appear on her body which results in her death. Rod (the boyfriend) runs away and Nancy and Glen find the body of Tina. Eventually Rod is arrested and tries to convince the police that he did not kill his girlfriend but fails. Nancy falls asleep (but she does not know that at first because you won’t know until the weird stuff start happening. It’s kind of complicated to explain.) We learn the name of the man (Freddy Krueger). We see Freddy as this man who is burned all over and wearing a striped sweater and a fedora. On his hand is a glove with blades on the tips of the fingers. Nancy wakes up and when she does she realizes she is screaming out loud. (Every action you do in the dream world happens in real life except for walking. Meaning, if you die in the dream world, you die for real.) We later see Nancy visit Rod but Rod is killed by Freddy (Freddy still remains in the dream world and is thus invisible in the real world unless he is pulled into the real world.) Eventually she tells her parents about her dreams and manages to pull Freddy’s hat out of the dream world while at the doctor’s. We learn that Freddy Krueger was a child murder who was then approached by a group of parents who then killed him by dousing him with gas and burned him alive. This reveals Freddy’s motive (to get revenge on the children who told on Freddy.) We then see Glen get killed by Freddy. We see Nancy then rig up some traps and lures Freddy by falling asleep. She then pulls Freddy out of the dream world and into the real world. Eventually Freddy is caught on fire and locked inside a room. Nancy goes and gets her dad (who is an officer) only to see Freddy killing Nancy’s mother. Then Nancy kills Freddy by becoming not scared of him. The end of the film shows that everyone killed is alive and Nancy gets in a car with her friends only to have the convertible top (which is the pattern of Freddy’s sweater) fold down. Nancy’s mom gets pulled in through the small window in the door way and the film ends with kids jump roping and singing a song.

This film was amazing! I had doubts about this film before I watched it but was amazed at how wrong I was and how amazing this film is. The concept of being killed in your sleep was a great idea especially when slasher films are becoming popular. The way the dream world is portrayed is perfect despite my inability to accuarately describe it. The acting is great and I must say that the characters worked well. You have the tramuatized teen who has parents who do not believe anything she says and the one boyfriend who wants to believe her but at the same time does not. It just works so well. The scare factor is top notch. The effects in this film were done well with plenty of blood and gore. Wes Craven is god because of this film. I have to say this has to be the best slasher film that I have ever seen. A must watch for horror fans but not for bed wetters.

Rating: 10/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge

One year after the success of A Nightmare on Elm Street, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge was released. The film saw success with box office but did not share the critical success that the first film did where it recieved mixed reviews upon release. This is one film in the series that I don’t hear a lot of talk about. Which made me want to watch the film even more. Without further ado, let’s get to the plot.

We open up with a kid on a school bus. It turns out it is a nightmare and we see Freddy about to attack our main character Jesse. It later turns out that Jesse and his parents moved in to Nancy’s old house (from the first movie). Jesse and this girl find one of Nancy’s diaries that talks about Freddy Krueger. We see Jesse and this kid get in trouble and the two become friends. Jesse has more nightmares and eventually starts walking around town where he runs into his P.E. teacher at a gay bar. The teacher tells him to go run laps. We see the P.E. teacher get killed and see Jesse with Freddy’s glove on his hand. We then see Jesse attend some party and Jesse goes to sleep and Freddy comes out of his body and kills this guy. Jesse eventually tells this girl about it all. Eventually Freddy kills people at the party and eventually it is Jesse versus Freddy. The girl kisses Freddy and Freddy dies. The end of the film results in Jesse back on the bus and having the same nightmare he had in the beginning. The End

I do have to agree that this film is not better than the first film. I do have to complain about the absence of any kills for the first 20 minutes or so of the film.The acting is good, but the way that Freddy “died” made since but could have had another way to make Freddy “die”. The kills are nothing too special and the scare factor is there but not like the first film.  I can see why this film is not talked about a whole lot. This film had nothing too special about it. In conclusion,  tt is not a terrible film but rather an average slasher of the 80’s. I am just glad it is not filled with ridiculousness that a lot of slashers are filled with.

Rating: 5/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

It was 2 years after A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 that A Nighmare on Elm Street 3 was released. This film was to bring back the cast from the first film whose characters survived. From what I know, after A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 the people who made the film were unsure of another sequel. Wes Craven said that A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 would be the last in the franchise. Obviously, that is not the case. I was really hyped to watch this film because I heard a lot of good things about this film. The film achieved mostly mixed to positive reviews and did good at box office. Well, without further ado, let’s get to the plot.

We see this girl who is having a nightmare with Freddy. Freddy tries to kill her but only manages to slash her wrists. The parents of the girl see the wounds on her wrist and send her off to a mental hospital. We then see Nancy (the main character from the first film). She is working at the hospital. We then meet all of our characters who are the children of the parents who killed Freddy before he became a dream killer. We then see Freddy attack again but this time we see the girl (who is one of the main characters named Kristen) drag Nancy into the dream. This is one such character who has an ability and one that will be used to defeat Freddy. More kids keep getting killed and it starts to worry people. Some nun later reveals some back story on Freddy Krueger. Freddy’s mother was a nun who was raped and who gave birth shortly after. The only way to kill Freddy is to lay his remains to rest properly. This is where Nancy’s father comes in because supposedly he knows where the remains are. We then come to this big dream scene where we see our Dream Warriors. Some of the warriors get killed and the surviving warriors manage to rescue Joey who does not talk. Nancy’s dad is burying the remains and the remains attack and kill him. Freddy disguises himself as Nancy’s dad and stabs Nancy. Freddy tries to kill the others only to have Neil (a character who appears to be major, but the only important thing I see him do was finish the job of burying Freddy’s remains). Which is what he does. The film ends with Neil at Nancy’s funeral and he sees the nun who is revealed to be a ghost of Freddy’s mother. Then we see a model house that looks like Nancy’s house from the first film lit up as if someone is living inside it.

This film is good and does a great job at getting the series back on track. But I do need to mention that it is still not as good as the original. The concept of having Dream Warriors is quite an interesting idea and in my opinion, it translated well. It is almost like a comic book but on film. I like the characters and the acting was good for the new characters. As for the returning characters, the acting could have been better. Nancy was only there to guide the characters and I honestly felt that she could have done even more. The effects were pretty good as well. I like the fact that more of Freddy’s back story was introduced. This film is good and is possibly one of the best sequels in the franchise. I just wish it could have been one that surpassed the original.

Rating: 7/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

A year later, we had a new A Nightmare on Elm Street film. In my opinion, if a film series has a film released the next year after an installment, it is not going to be good. But that is before a watch a film and the end result varies. The film saw the return of the surviving Dream Warriors (only for a bit). So, when it came to watching this film, I had no idea what to expect. The film had mixed reviews but came out to become one of the highest grossing in the franchise up until Freddy vs. Jason. So, without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

We open up with Kristen. She believes that Freddy is returning and she drags the remaining Dream Warriors in to a dream. There is a lot of fighting between Kristen and the Dream Warriors and this goes on until Freddy gets ressurected by dog piss. Freddy eventually goes and kills Joey and Kincaid who were the Dream Warriors. Kristen eventually falls asleep and Freddy tells her that she is the last Elm Street kid and that he wants more people to kill. Kristen drags one of her friends into the dream before she dies. When she dies, her friend Alice gains her dream powers. More people start to die and Alice realizes that when someone dies, she gets some sort of power. Eventually, the showdown between Alice and Freddy. Freddy is killed by his own reflection. The film ends with Alice seeing a reflection of Freddy in a wishing well, who ignores it and walks away.

Well. This film starts to show that the series is running out of ideas. I mean, Kristen has to drag people who are not even apart of the Elm Street business. I did not like how the Dream Warriors die early in the film and I would have liked them to fight Freddy and kill him for good which would make this film have a fitting conclusion. This film does a decent job at being a slasher film. I would compare this film to A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. There is nothing too special about this film but there also is nothing terrible about this film. It is one of those films that some love and some hate. I am just in between.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

In 1989, A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 was released. This was one year after A Nightmare on Elm Street 4. This film brings back the surviving characters from the previous film and focuses on their survival against Freddy Krueger. This film was the first in the series to have gained negative reviews upon release. So, without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

We see Alice and her boyfriend graduating from high school. She has a nightmare and witnesses what appears to be Freddy Krueger’s mother give birth. The baby crawls and grows in to a full sized Freddy. She wakes up and tries to call her boyfriend but her boyfriend has fallen asleep whil driving on the road. He is attacked and killed by Freddy. We then learn that Alice is pregnant. Freddy goes on to kill some of Alice’s friends in many gruesome ways. We are then introduced to this boy who claims to be Alice’s son. There is a lot of running around and eventually Alice goes to sleep to face Freddy. Alice finds Freddy’s mother and eventually Freddy’s mother kills Freddy by sealing him away in time. The movie ends with Alice having a picnic and the sound of song playing.

I have mixed opinions about this film. It is not as bad as what many would say. The plot seemed really confusing when I watched this the first time around and had to watch this again to get a better grasp. Even still, I am still confused. There were not a whole lot of kills but the kills were fairly gruesome. There is a much darker tone to this film which is one thing I enjoyed from this film. The acting could have been better in my opinion but the Freddy is still great. In conclusion, I wanted more from this film and got about half of what I wanted. There really is nothing too special about the film except it is just another average slasher film of the 80’s.

Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare

In 1991, the final film in the series considered canon in the franchise. (Then next film is not canon.) This film decided to follow in the footsteps of previous horror movies like Friday the 13th Part III by making the film entirely in 3D. Now, I watched this show on TV and not on DVD which I believe includes 3D glasses. This film had a higher budget but had a fairly decent box office return. But this film suffered from negative reviews. For the longest time, I did not know this film exist (maybe because there is no number 6 in the title?) So, let’s get to the plot!

We see this guy who has a case of amnesia. We then meet our group of people to get killed off. The guy who cannot remember anything joins our group at this shelter. The doctor there decides to make a roadtrip to Springwood to help the guy remember things. The group stows away in the vehicle without anyone knowing. Eventually they are found and eventually Freddy kills them off one by one and we learn that the doctor is Freddy’s daughter. We learn that Freddy’s powers come from these demons which resemble fish. Freddy’s daughter pulls Freddy into the real world, steals his glove and stabs him. To finish him off, she sticks a pipe bomb in to his chest and Freddy blows up. The End.

I knew that this film was going to perform lower than the previous films but I did not expect that it would perform this low. The effects they used for 3D were terrible. Of course, I don’t have the glasses. There was more backstory on Freddy which is something I like. This film is not really much of a horror film. A 5 year old could watch this and still not be scared! People praise this series for it’s comedy but the comedy in this film was absolute garbage. It is not the worst slasher film, but it is by far the worst in the series.

Rating: 3/10

Wes Craven’s New Nightmare

In 1994, the world was introduced to a very unique installment to the A Nightmare on Elm Street series. As I mentioned in the previous review, this film is not canon. This film was very unique and basing the events in the real world. I will talk more about this in the plot. The film got positive reviews but did poor at box office compared to the previous films. So, let’s get to the plot!

We open up with Heather Langenkamp (the actress who played Nancy in the first and third films and she plays herself in this film.) She has a nightmare of Freddy Krueger (who is a character in the films that she is working on. Remember, this is set in the real world.) Some workers for the film get killed. Heather gets a call to work on a new Nightmare film. Some guy dies and Heather’s son starts acting really weird. We then see Heather talk to Wes Craven who reveals that Freddy is a demon that has started to attack since no new films have been released. Meaning, to stop the real life Freddy, another film has to be made. Eventually Heather and her son kill Freddy and wake up to find that everything that had happened has been made in to a script. The End.

This film is great. It takes a very unique concept about a film set in reality and it works. It is somewhat hard to explain but who cares! The acting is amazing and the special effects are great as well. It is also the scariest since the original! This film was a great way to bring back the series and a great film to end the series despite it not being canon. This film is just absolutely amazing! There are some small things that I can talk about but nothing can change my opinion on this film. Freddy’s looks are unique and I wish this look was used to begin with.  In conclusion, this film is scary, with great acting and the best I have seen since A Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Rating: 8/10

Offline kingofdanerds

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: MONSTER MADNESS #4 A Nightmare on Elm Street series review
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:57 am »
Freddy vs Jason

In 2003, every horror movie fan’s dream came true. Freddy vs. Jason. As you may know, this film is a crossover film starring Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhies. The film had a high budget, but had one of the highest box office returns for both of the series. This is the last film in both series where there have been reboots for both series. The film has become a fan favorite since it’s release. Without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

Freddy Kruger is weak due to people forgetting about him. He convinces Jason to kill people so that Freddy can become more powerful. Jason goes on to kill people and eventually Freddy sees that Jason is taking all of the credit for the killing. Then there is the group of teens who are trying to make sense of all of this. They side with Jason and develop a plan to bring Freddy into the real world. There is a couple fight scenes between Freddy and Jason. Eventually the group of teens are starting to get killed by both Freddy and Jason. It is revealed that Freddy caused the death of the mother of one of the teens (but who cares). There is another fight between Freddy and Jason and one of the teens kill Freddy (even though they were trying to kill both). The end scene shows Jason holding Freddy’s head (which means Freddy must be dead. Right?) Then we see Freddy wink. The End.

The film did its job by focusing on Freddy and Jason. Sure, they tried to add a little bit of story for the teens, but Freddy and Jason is the only reason why anyone would watch this film. It is a decent film to watch. This film is a gore fest that fails to disappoint. The first time that I watched this, I was a little confused. So, I watched it again only to get a better understanding. Sure, any film pitting two monsters/killers like Alien vs. Predator are awesome. But, we all know that there is never a clear winner. Which seems cliche now these days. The film has it’s cheesy moments. The fight scenes were few, but the fight scenes were great. In one fight, one opponent would win only to have their asses handed to them in the next fight and the final fight would end up in a draw. In conclusion, the film is a good crossover, a must watch. It has some minor flaws, but nonetheless, a good film. Not the best film, but a good film.

Rating: 6/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street

In 2010, Michael Bay created another horror film remake (he also did The Texas Chainsaw remake and the prequel.) A Nightmare on Elm Street was released and people were excited to see Freddy reborn and back in action. Despite the film having a high budget, the film did great at box office. The film though was met with criticism and is considered the worst. As if Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare wasn’t bad already am I right? I do not neccessarily remember this film being in theaters and only learned about this film only a couple years ago. So, let’s get to the plot!

We see this guy at a diner and he falls asleep and gets killed by none other than Freddy Krueger. A funeral is held for the guy and we are introduced to his friends who are going to be our main characters. One of the girls gets killed while she is sleeping with her boyfriend. The boyfriend goes to Nancy’s house and tells her about what happened and then runs away. He eventually gets arrested. Nancy learns that her friends were classmates longer than she thought. She questions her mom and her mom tells the story of Freddy Krueger and how he was confronted for abusing the children and only to be set on fire to die. Nancy and her boyfriend look for more of the kids in their preschool class and they come across some videos of some of their classmates doing a webshow. In the webshow, they talk about their nightmares and all of a sudden, an invisible force kills them. Nancy and her boyfriend do more research and find out that they are the only ones left. Eventually, they both fight Krueger and they pull him in to the real world and kill him. Though it revealed that no remains were to be found. The film ends with Nancy coming home with her mom and Nancy sees Freddy in a mirror who then reaches his clawed hand out to kill Nancy’s mom. The End.

I cannot quite grasp why this film has got all the hate it has been getting. When I watched this film, I experienced fear that I have not experienced from this series ever. This film was really scary. I do notice that this film has a lot of recycled material from the original but there is a little extra things added. This is much gorier than the original. I do have some problems with this film though. I don’t appreciate Freddy’s looks and I do understand this is a remake. But Robert Englund not playing Freddy is just not the same. The acting could have been better. We all know that the original is better and that is true here. It is not an entirely bad film and does it’s job at being a remake.

Rating: 6/10

In conclusion, A Nightmare on Elm Street series performs much better than the previous slasher series that I have reviewed. The series holds a special place with me because of the concept that it brought to the big screen. Dreams becoming reality. The series blends comedy and horror with different outcomes with each film. This series has one of my personal favorite horror films of all time. Wes Craven and everyone apart of this series are truly legends. If you have not yet watched any films in the series, I would recommend doing so because I want people to have the same experience that I had while watching this series.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:28 pm »
I didn't think it was scary and I watched it when I was young, and no joke, I'm scared if everything
8)

Offline kingofdanerds

• Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:18 am »
I didn't think it was scary and I watched it when I was young, and no joke, I'm scared if everything

Any film in particular?

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:03 pm »

Any film in particular?
Idk which ones, I watched three of them
8)