Author Topic: A Flashback to my childhood - A review of Splatters Mashup Pack  (Read 702 times)

Offline Benjamin Reichwald

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
Having just being accepted as moderator after 10 years of initially joining this treasured site I decided why not try for reviewer as well. I've never been one to care for the mainsite after around 2012 (as proven by my WHOPPING level 23) however with all that has happened with sploder recently I thought it'd be a nice idea to revive myself and contribute a bit more there.

As I desperately searched for a game to play which fits my simple 2 point criteria (must be able to beat it and must not bore me to absolute death) and after flicking through the futuremillionaire gallery featured games page I finally settled on the game I attempted to review back in the start of January before I gave up which is "Splatters Mashup Pack" on the Splattercollab account. This game was unique to a lot of the games pumped out on Sploder recently as each level was created by a different Sploder creator so therefore I'll do this review in 10 parts, strap on.

Intro Level: Jigglypuff12345
The first level starts off just how every physics game in 2013 started with, an intro level. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when the intro level isn't resemblant of my terrible intros back in the day. Instead, it's a simple level designed by a good friend of mine, jigglypuff12345. He does a great job on introducing the feel to the entire game which felt like a retro arcade machine at a local pub by designing a game controller and the name of the game. Can't go wrong with that, good stuff.

Level 1: Sticki
Sticki handles the first level includes proper gameplay. On first glance, the level looks very simple in design and doesn't look very challenging. As I started to play the level I thought to myself "This is easy", 3 seconds later I was falling in the first lava pit and eating my words. With the minimalistic and very old school game design, Sticki is able to make this level really fit the feel of a retro arcade machine, having grown up playing these machines all the time this is something I can easily appreciate. The actual level in gameplay sense feels like an old Miniclip style game where you'd have to hit censor points in attempts to create a pathway over an obstacle. This level took me 3 attempts (albeit I'm very rusty when it comes to any game type) and I would assume the objective of this level was to serve as an easier level before we dive into the rages. Overall, this level despite being a simple design and simple level served as a funny little minigame to start off the game, so far this has been a fun retro experience.

Level 2: shibuvsvinayak
Before I write this review, I'm going to refer to shibuvsvinayak as "he" since his name is far too complicated for my simple mind to comprehend. His level is a race track where you have to outrace and outmaneuver your 2 other opponents. This level again shows the direct feel of old vintage games and also reminds me a lot of Mariokart which I used to love playing with my cousins. Despite not figuring out that you have to use the WASD keys for the first few seconds I was able to come back and win the race (and feel a bit too overly happy). The design on this level is done very well and gave a direct feel of a racing track, again however the gameplay wasn't the toughest out there which I appreciate a lot as most games are overly hard and puzzle based and not a lot of actual fun and enjoyment goes on as I play those, so kudos to the creators so far. Just a shame that Mariokartfan didn't make this level.

Level 3: Probe5
On my first play of this level, I didn't think it was that hard at all, that was until I realized you couldn't just go full rambo and shoot all your bullets since there was an ammo cap, there goes my strategy of "spray and pray". After my second attempt at this level and dying again this was the sole reason I started the Probe5 Hate Club, this level required me to properly time my shots more whilst also trying to avoid the hurting balls. Despite this level making me pretty mad, it served as the first level which felt like I had to focus more and go at a slower pace. For the first level which served as a proper challenge it wasn't as well designed as the previous level but the gameplay mechanics complimented this instead and felt like a more challenging level.

Level 4: Bestatgames9
This level on first glance reminded me of the old games I used to play on Miniclip, the design on this level was very good although it gameplay wise it took me a long time to figure out what to do. There was also a lot going on and half the time I had an unavoidable stream of -HP signals covering my screen. Despite this level being very hard and the intention clearly being just that, I didn't appreciate making it all the way to the top just to fall down again. Design wise this is a very good level although I just think there could've been a more coherent way to complete this level, not just spam jump and hope you don't get bombarded by the onslaught of enemies or fall to your death.

Level 5: Splatter
Splatter is the reason that this entire project exists and so far from playing this, I have a lot to thank him for. Splatter brings a more puzzle-based approach for this level and for someone as stupid as me, this was very intimidating. Although I have to say, this was a very calming difference from the hellish last level. Much like Probes level, this level required more thinking rather than shooting and hoping for the best. Consistently throughout this entire game the design and scenery has been very good and up to par and Splatters level is no exception.

Level 6: Tbremise
With Tbremises level we go back to the enemies but we also incorporate thinking as well, which sounds like a good concept on paper and despite Tbremises level being a good idea with the mechanics and concept it wasn't executed properly and came off very glitchy. It took me a bit to understand what was happening and to master the controls but overall I was able to complete it after a while. A good idea but bad execution of said idea.

Level 7: Wordigirl
One thing that I can appreciate from this game as a whole so far is that every level had a different approach to every other level. Wordigirl has a more challenging level this time in the form of a labyrinth type maze. However, Wordi incorporates a timer which gives a ticking time bomb feeling to her level. This took me a couple attempts to complete and I wouldn't expect someone to beat this in their first attempt. Design was again well done and holds to the standard of every other level but the gameplay is what took the cake for this level.

Level 8: Princehades
You know how I've been going on about design recently? This takes the prize for best level design seeing as it is fully three dimensional. Although the gameplay itself doesn't compare to the design of this level I don't see a problem as this level is so beautifully done, this really makes me appreciate the artists on Sploder and what they can do, especially prince who I've seen a lot of his art before. Fantastic.

Level 9: Jigglypuff12345
Jiggly is also the person who designed the intro to this game which set off a great feel for the whole game as a whole so I was excited to play his actual gameplay level. Jiggly does what he does best and displays excellent design in this level. For the second time in this game, we are tasked with the challenge of a maze, although this is different to Wordis so I don't feel like it gets repetitive. I believe Jiggly did a great job of balancing design with gameplay and created a great level. I do think that this level could've done with fewer enemies or even none at all and go with a more puzzle-based approach but also I think he did need to branch away from wordis level and he did just that.

Level 10: Fuzthehamster
Fuz handles the last level of this great production and he doesn't hold back. This is a pure barrage of enemies and serves as the hardest level in the entirety of the game. This really did remind me of bestatgames level with the excessive amounts of enemies and difficulty. I believe that this level didn't have a lot of enjoyment at all as it was just created with the purpose of being hard. Although I do give props as it was the final step until completing this adventure of a game.

Overall I think this game was very good, it lived up to its large potential and I didn't feel disappointed whilst playing this game or anything along those lines. There were parts where I could see large improvement needed on including tbremises level and Fuz and Bestatgames levels. Although I still like these levels as they were still very well made despite their flaws. I think the design really shows off on this game and the entire idea of the game (a retro arcade game with all levels being made by different respected creators) was executed amazingly.
I figured that these 4 ratings would most accurately review this game.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
I feel like the gameplay was very good on this game, despite their being parts which could've been improved on such as certain mechanics in levels I think all the creators did a good job on producing an enjoyable and impressive game.

Design: 10/10
The design was absolutely amazing on this game, a lot of these creators such as Jiggly or Prince does their own artwork outside of games and the skills have very clearly migrated to this game. If there was one aspect of this game that I would really pinpoint as the strong point it would be design.

Difficulty: 7/10
This game should've followed a proper structure of difficulty, I think that the difficulty was all over the place. Easy, to a little bit harder, to extremely hard, to easy again, to a little bit harder, to easier to very hard again. I think it should've progressively gotten harder each time with the last 2 levels being Fuzs and Bestatgames levels. Although some parts being hard I don't think that it affects the game very negatively at all as it didn't feel as if it was entirely impossible.

Overall: 8.5/10
Overall I would give this a game a strong 8.5/10. This is a very good score considering the other games I attempted before this game would've got way below that. Despite some parts genuinely making me hate life and everything I've lived for, this game had a great balance of design and gameplay and although there were flaws along the way I really feel as if this game overall came to a great finished product and deserved the feature that it received. The feel of the game being a retro arcade machine really made me happy and enjoy it more and I would love to see more games like this in the future. Good work to every creator on this game.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:01 am by Benjamin Reichwald »

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
Re: A Flashback to my childhood - A review of Splatters Mashup Pack
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:45 am »
Welp Worth a shot

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53 am »
I only had my reviewer application get accepted yesterday and I am not a recruiter, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give feedback. Because of this, the only thing I will say is that right off the bat I noticed a few places that could've done with a comma, a few things worded slightly incorrectly (eg. you used "does" instead of "do" in the design section) and a few inconsistencies with capital letters. I don't personally use it myself but I've heard Grammarly is perfect for this sort of thing. Just a recommendation I guess.

I won't go into any opinions on your actual review since I don't know if I'm supposed to, but good luck! :D

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:56 am »
I only had my reviewer application get accepted yesterday and I am not a recruiter, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give feedback. Because of this, the only thing I will say is that right off the bat I noticed a few places that could've done with a comma, a few things worded slightly incorrectly (eg. you used "does" instead of "do" in the design section) and a few inconsistencies with capital letters. I don't personally use it myself but I've heard Grammarly is perfect for this sort of thing. Just a recommendation I guess.

I won't go into any opinions on your actual review since I don't know if I'm supposed to, but good luck! :D
Am i allowed to fix up or is it what i post is final? Its midnight and im tired and i didnt think of it hahaha but if not i just gotta accept it. thanks!!

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:00 am »
Am i allowed to fix up or is it what i post is final? Its midnight and im tired and i didnt think of it hahaha but if not i just gotta accept it. thanks!!

As far as I can see, there isn't a rule against modifying your application before it's accepted. However, I wouldn't take the risk just to be safe. At least next time you write a review, whether this one gets accepted or not, you'll be aware of this. :)

I don't think the things I mentioned would be enough to get you denied as long as your analysis is good enough anyway. Again, I wish you luck! :D

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:04 am »
Good luck, not bad!
8)

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:48 am »
You use "design" a lot in reference to different things, which can be confusing. But the format was unique and suited the game you reviewed, good luck!

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:51 am »
As far as I can see, there isn't a rule against modifying your application before it's accepted. However, I wouldn't take the risk just to be safe. At least next time you write a review, whether this one gets accepted or not, you'll be aware of this. :)

I don't think the things I mentioned would be enough to get you denied as long as your analysis is good enough anyway. Again, I wish you luck! :D
The old rules were that you could not edit a review once a recruiter had given feedback (in this case you are not a recruiter). I would recommend that Apod edits it while saving a backup of the original review so that he can reupload the original if his editing is deemed foul play.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:55 am by seanthechinaman »

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:54 am »
I laughed at futuremillionaire gallery. So true. :))
8)

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:02 am »
The old rules were that you could not edit a review once a recruiter had given feedback (in this case you are not a recruiter). I would recommend that Apod edits it while saving a backup of the original review so that he can reupload the original if his editing is deemed foul play.
I made a few edits to this however I also saved the original review, so like flump said I'll post the original if this isn't allowed.

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 10:35 am »
You can definitely edit stuff before a recruiter accepts or denies. I’ll give you my opinion in just one sec...

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37 am »
You can definitely edit stuff before a recruiter accepts or denies. I’ll give you my opinion in just one sec...

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42 am »
This review was really solid. You wrote so much which can sometimes be daunting as a recruiter, the first few paragraphs really helped to engage the reader and set the tone for the piece of writing. You do need to work slightly on flow but generally that was fine all around. I love the slight jokes in the opening paragraphs, they help to create an atmosphere that works. You really opened the depths of this game and analysed the whole thing. Your description was also great. Now you do need to work on the whole repetition thing but apart from that this was a good review. So on that note this will be the second review in a row that has been accepted. I feel weird accepting two reviews in a row but people are just getting generally good. I feel you’ll improve a lot writing some more reviews, so I congratulate you on your second badge of this week?!

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:47 am »
Accepted
Your analysis and style is sound, but you should learn to articulate yourself more elegantly. At times your poor wording interrupts the flow of the review. Aside from this, I look forward to seeing more reviews from you.

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51 am »
Double accept, congrats apod lmao