Author Topic: Meta's Editor Recruitment Inc.  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Meta KnighT

• ----> [ǝɹᴉɐuoᴉllᴉW] <----
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
Meta's Editor Recruitment Inc.
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:05 am »
Interested in becoming an editor? If so, then this is the right place!  How does it work?  Find out in this simple outlined step by step process...

Step 0: Rules
1) NO getting help on ANY of parts of your application whatsoever, including advice from those who have previosuly applied to the center or current editors.  Failure to do so is very severe and will result in a permanent ban from the recruitment center.
2) You must wait a month between getting denied or else there will be a three-month application penalty.
3) NO wasting Meta's time with useless posts in this thread. :/
4) The owner of this thread reserves the right to take any actions or add any rules not currently in the established rules list on a case by case basis.

Step 1: Fill out Preliminary app
MS Username:
Number of Features:
Best Review (if applicable):
What makes you qualified for the position:
What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position:

Step 2: Wait for Response
I will evaluate your application to determine whether you'll be denied or given the next stage of the application.

Step 3: PM'd Tests
(1) Initially, you will be pm'd first stage of the test.  You will have three days to pm back a response.  I will then evaluate what you send in.
(2) If you pass, I will pm you second stage of the test.  You will have three days to pm me a response.  I will then evaluate what you send in.
(3) If you pass again, I will pm you third stage of the test.  You three days to pm me a response.  I will then evaluate what you send in and see if you can move onto next stage.

Step 4: Evaluative Task
If you successfully complete all the tasks in step 3, you will have to write a review on a game that you find feature worthy.  You will have one week to do this.

Step 5: Voting Stage
A group editor recruiters (listed near the bottom of the post) will vote on your overall performance, paying particular attention to your response from Step 4. 

Step 6: Glory
If you pass with an 80% yes vote, you came out victorious! 8)

Recruiter List
1) Meta KnighT (Head)
2) Lordeldar
3) Jmc10
4) Cyan
5) Articuno
6) Mat7772
7) Epico
8) Flump
9) Creatingames

Informational Section: Past Application Status
Here's a tracker of all the people I got to deny through this system past applicants through the system and the status of their application:
Crazykittyzz - Voting: 2/6/19
Seanthechinaman - Withdrawn (still had editor badge on old account): 1/26/19
Ethan2009 - Preliminary App: 1/20/19
Duck5557474 - Preliminary App: 1/20/19
Master - Voting: 2/7/19
Bricc - Preliminary App: 1/22/19
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:58 pm by Meta KnighT »

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
Re: Meta's Editor Recruitment Inc.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:07 am »
While there aren't any obvious differences in the application page/ 'portal' compared to before, the "PM'd tests" will now be different and will vary based on the applicant (and their responses to the questions in the Preliminary app).

Offline Crazykittyzz

• Soldier and a
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • sivershadows ;-;
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:00 am »
I knew this one would be the most difficult but of course I’m willing to have a shot.

MS Username: sivershadows
Number of Features: 3
Best Review (if applicable): probably my most recent review http://www.sploder.com/games/members/sivershadows/review/2864/a-game-by-jeff385/perplexity-3/

What makes you qualified for the position: I’ve been on the site for almost seven years now. Over the years I’ve seen what pushes games on to the featured page. I’ve witnessed trends and patterns with those games in the consecutive years too. I’ve also been a reviewer since 2015 which gives me the skills to analyse a game throughly. I have also put forward two successful feature requests in the past.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: The other week I was searching some accounts to see whether they had some hidden gems. I wasn’t quite successful but I am quite resilient and still stay on board with my searchings.

Offline seanthechinaman

• MRE
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 08:41 am »
MS Username: seanthechinaman
Number of Features: 6 (on past accounts)
Best Review (if applicable): my reviewer application

What makes you qualified for the position: I already have experience as an Editor, and during my career I discovered unknown game creators such as cheesegrater1 and brought their games into the spotlight. This is what an Editor is for, to reward and encourage the production of great games, keeping "Where games come true" true.

In addition I understand the other responsibilities an Editor has, and I will happily take requests and critique games from any Sploder member, while other Editors may consider this a burden.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I am currently invested in revitalizing mainsite activity, and so I search for interesting new games (and comments) daily.

And of course I have written two reviews recently that are both critical and fair to the game makers. These are two qualities an Editor should uphold, as to keep a high feature standard without discouraging Sploder members. Editors will often dwell too far into either oppressive strictness or anarchic generosity, balance must be kept.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:42 am by seanthechinaman »

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:43 am »
Ms username: Ethan2009
Number of feature: 2, possibly 3, as lordeldar said he would feature "skull creak" with a minor health adjustment.
Best review: adjusted review app, (waiting for badge, i'm in the to do list) http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342140.0.html.
Why am I qualified: I understand the depth and strategy in game analysis, and can depict the game's intent to even the most minuscule details. I will take requests for features, feedback, and reviews, and offer constructive criticism. I also know the level of skill it takes to get a feature at any time along the spectrum of sploder game making, and adjust my feedback to this, and always be fair on the maker. I will never go against what the game maker deserves, and I will make sure that feature-worthy games, and ONLY feature-worthy and boosted games go on the featured page.
What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I'm on the ms for hours a day PLAYING GAMES. If I see a good game, I will write a review draft, and recommend it to the editors active. If I become an editor, we (all editors) could discuss together and make the best delicious and find the hidden games, buried beneath all the rest, and give them what they deserve: a feature. I never give up searching for a game, and if someone comes close to a feature (in my opinion) I give them feedback, and let the staff take it from there, but I can't do it myself without the badge.
Thank you for your time, and the chance to become an editor.
8)

Offline duck5557474

• House League of Society Owner
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
  • 2nd in Command
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46 pm »
MS Username: Duck5557474
Number of Features: 0
Best Review (if applicable): Not Applicable

I have been with Sploder for three years. I enjoy making games, playing them, and helping people out. I have a hand for finding really good games. I think I would make a good addition to the editor squad because I am mostly a normal person, who can give a different personality and viewpoint to the editor staff as a whole. Even though I have zero features, I could help show the staff the viewpoint of a member that has no features, and how they think. When I see good games, I am very good about playing them often and with a positive attitude.

I have applied for a moderator position, which I still do not know if I passed or not. I am active almost every day.

Thank you for your time!

*Drawing by Awesomefinnz

Helpful Links~
Follow Me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/duck5557474

Offline Cyan

• Lieutenant
  • Mortar
  • Cyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47 pm »
I still need to be added to the todo list

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 04:30 pm »
MS Username: master106

Number of Features: 8

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/master106/review/2869/a-game-by-crunchynut/the-dark-sun/

I am an active Moderator and Reviewer that’s been on the website for about 8 years. I have been looking into game design for awhile now as well.

I have been working on an ambitious spin off game called Tails The Fox, where I am just now finishing up. I also just made a review on The Dark Sun.
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15, 2015
M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42 pm »
I knew this one would be the most difficult but of course I’m willing to have a shot.

MS Username: sivershadows
Number of Features: 3
Best Review (if applicable): probably my most recent review http://www.sploder.com/games/members/sivershadows/review/2864/a-game-by-jeff385/perplexity-3/

What makes you qualified for the position: I’ve been on the site for almost seven years now. Over the years I’ve seen what pushes games on to the featured page. I’ve witnessed trends and patterns with those games in the consecutive years too. I’ve also been a reviewer since 2015 which gives me the skills to analyse a game throughly. I have also put forward two successful feature requests in the past.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: The other week I was searching some accounts to see whether they had some hidden gems. I wasn’t quite successful but I am quite resilient and still stay on board with my searchings.
Accepted.  You’ll be sent stage 1 of the PM’d tests once I go on my computer.

MS Username: seanthechinaman
Number of Features: 6 (on past accounts)
Best Review (if applicable): my reviewer application

What makes you qualified for the position: I already have experience as an Editor, and during my career I discovered unknown game creators such as cheesegrater1 and brought their games into the spotlight. This is what an Editor is for, to reward and encourage the production of great games, keeping "Where games come true" true.

In addition I understand the other responsibilities an Editor has, and I will happily take requests and critique games from any Sploder member, while other Editors may consider this a burden.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I am currently invested in revitalizing mainsite activity, and so I search for interesting new games (and comments) daily.

And of course I have written two reviews recently that are both critical and fair to the game makers. These are two qualities an Editor should uphold, as to keep a high feature standard without discouraging Sploder members. Editors will often dwell too far into either oppressive strictness or anarchic generosity, balance must be kept.
Accepted.  Same as above.

Ms username: Ethan2009
Number of feature: 2, possibly 3, as lordeldar said he would feature "skull creak" with a minor health adjustment.
Best review: adjusted review app, (waiting for badge, i'm in the to do list) http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342140.0.html.
Why am I qualified: I understand the depth and strategy in game analysis, and can depict the game's intent to even the most minuscule details. I will take requests for features, feedback, and reviews, and offer constructive criticism. I also know the level of skill it takes to get a feature at any time along the spectrum of sploder game making, and adjust my feedback to this, and always be fair on the maker. I will never go against what the game maker deserves, and I will make sure that feature-worthy games, and ONLY feature-worthy and boosted games go on the featured page.
What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I'm on the ms for hours a day PLAYING GAMES. If I see a good game, I will write a review draft, and recommend it to the editors active. If I become an editor, we (all editors) could discuss together and make the best delicious and find the hidden games, buried beneath all the rest, and give them what they deserve: a feature. I never give up searching for a game, and if someone comes close to a feature (in my opinion) I give them feedback, and let the staff take it from there, but I can't do it myself without the badge.
Thank you for your time, and the chance to become an editor.
Denied.  I would like to see how active you are as a Reviewer  and such before sending you the PM’d tests for the Editor position.

MS Username: Duck5557474
Number of Features: 0
Best Review (if applicable): Not Applicable

I have been with Sploder for three years. I enjoy making games, playing them, and helping people out. I have a hand for finding really good games. I think I would make a good addition to the editor squad because I am mostly a normal person, who can give a different personality and viewpoint to the editor staff as a whole. Even though I have zero features, I could help show the staff the viewpoint of a member that has no features, and how they think. When I see good games, I am very good about playing them often and with a positive attitude.

I have applied for a moderator position, which I still do not know if I passed or not. I am active almost every day.

Thank you for your time!
Denied

I still need to be added to the todo list
Denied. lol

MS Username: master106

Number of Features: 8

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/master106/review/2869/a-game-by-crunchynut/the-dark-sun/

I am an active Moderator and Reviewer that’s been on the website for about 8 years. I have been looking into game design for awhile now as well.

I have been working on an ambitious spin off game called Tails The Fox, where I am just now finishing up. I also just made a review on The Dark Sun.

Eh, this application and some of the reasoning seems kinda weak, but I’ll give you a shot so accepted.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:21 am »
What do you mean active as a reviewer? I applied, and passed but don't have my badge yet. Should I need by badge before applying?
8)

Offline Cyan

• Lieutenant
  • Mortar
  • Cyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:13 am »
tf..

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:01 pm »
What do you mean active as a reviewer? I applied, and passed but don't have my badge yet. Should I need by badge before applying?
You just recently become a reviewer so I need to see a track record of your experience in that position before you become Editor if that makes sense.  I would recommend giving it a month or two and then reapplying.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 02:02 pm »
You just recently become a reviewer so I need to see a track record of your experience in that position before you become Editor if that makes sense.  I would recommend giving it a month or two and then reapplying.
Alright. That makes sense, thanks for the chance!
8)

Offline Articuno

• Turret
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 04:04 pm »
hi guys whats up

Offline Master

• Everyone’s Favorite
  • Soldier
  • Mortar
  • :8-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 04:25 pm »
When will the tests be sent out?
Mastur Anthony Wunnuhsix

MOTY:
Weirdest Member 2014 and 2018
4th-Place Nice Member 2016

Soldier Promo - Apr 15, 2015
M Rank - May 7, 2015
R Rank - Oct 4, 2015

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36 pm »
8)

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51 pm »
Everyone's stage 1 tests have been sent out.  Good luck guys! :)

Offline Articuno

• Turret
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 12:18 pm »

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 12:18 pm »
8)

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 06:42 pm »
Username: bricc
Features: 0
Best review: http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342163.0.html (was accepted)

What makes you qualified for the position: I've been around on Sploder for over 7 years and over time I've gotten to know a lot about the trending games and creators. I may not have any features, but I for sure know the fundamentals of each creator and I don't see a need to have as much skill at creating as the creator of the game in order to analyse it. In college I study Games Design, so this sort of thing is right up my alley as I actively study the qualities needed to ensure a game is top notch. I feel my reviewer application should be enough to bypass this "requirement" as I think it's clear I am able to distinguish a quality game from a pile of dirt and can express my thoughts and opinions on a game clearly.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I gained my reviewer badge yesterday, which I hope shows I can analyse a game thoroughly and understand why a game should or should not be included in the featured games list. I also actively use the main site now that we have our official forums back and the community's spirits are higher than they have been over the past months, which ensures I always know the quality of which a game should be in order to get featured. I'm trying to become more involved in the main site again after some years by attempting to re-gain the badges I used to have (moderator and reviewer) to enjoy Sploder to its fullest until it reaches its end next year.

I really hope I am considered for this position because I really don't think it should be an absolute necessity to have featured games to become an editor. I'd really like to earn the E badge as it was always a goal I thought I could never reach but I really think I have the potential to be a great editor and would love to achieve it.

Moderator, Moderator Recruiter, Reviewer, Editor

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44 pm »
Username: bricc
Features: 0
Best review: http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,342163.0.html (was accepted)

What makes you qualified for the position: I've been around on Sploder for over 7 years and over time I've gotten to know a lot about the trending games and creators. I may not have any features, but I for sure know the fundamentals of each creator and I don't see a need to have as much skill at creating as the creator of the game in order to analyse it. In college I study Games Design, so this sort of thing is right up my alley as I actively study the qualities needed to ensure a game is top notch. I feel my reviewer application should be enough to bypass this "requirement" as I think it's clear I am able to distinguish a quality game from a pile of dirt and can express my thoughts and opinions on a game clearly.

What you have done recently to show you are worthy of the position: I gained my reviewer badge yesterday, which I hope shows I can analyse a game thoroughly and understand why a game should or should not be included in the featured games list. I also actively use the main site now that we have our official forums back and the community's spirits are higher than they have been over the past months, which ensures I always know the quality of which a game should be in order to get featured. I'm trying to become more involved in the main site again after some years by attempting to re-gain the badges I used to have (moderator and reviewer) to enjoy Sploder to its fullest until it reaches its end next year.

I really hope I am considered for this position because I really don't think it should be an absolute necessity to have featured games to become an editor. I'd really like to earn the E badge as it was always a goal I thought I could never reach but I really think I have the potential to be a great editor and would love to achieve it.
Denied for he same reason as Ethan.  I would recommend giving it a month or two and then reapplying.

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42 am »
Denied for he same reason as Ethan.  I would recommend giving it a month or two and then reapplying.

I don't know if you were aware but this isn't the first time I've been accepted as a reviewer, and I don't see why waiting will change much, but alright. :)

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55 am »
I don't know if you were aware but this isn't the first time I've been accepted as a reviewer, and I don't see why waiting will change much, but alright. :)
Yes, but given the fact you haven’t written reviews in years, it’s important to see your current thought process when evaluating games, especially since you don’t have any features to back you up in that regard.  While it is true you have been more active on the forums for the past few months, you haven’t been much more active on the MS, so by giving you 1-2 months with these 2 positions, I’ll be able to hopefully have a better idea of not only how you evaluate games but also how active and dedicated you are to the positions. 

Offline Bricc

• ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
    • Nem-Creator
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 01:59 pm »
Yes, but given the fact you haven’t written reviews in years, it’s important to see your current thought process when evaluating games, especially since you don’t have any features to back you up in that regard.  While it is true you have been more active on the forums for the past few months, you haven’t been much more active on the MS, so by giving you 1-2 months with these 2 positions, I’ll be able to hopefully have a better idea of not only how you evaluate games but also how active and dedicated you are to the positions. 

Honestly I didn't think you'd justify it that well. In that case, I see where you're coming from and I'll be back in a couple months. ;)

Offline Benjamin Reichwald

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 07:32 pm »
Honestly I didn't think you'd justify it that well. In that case, I see where you're coming from and I'll be back in a couple months. ;)
Don't splode around with meta splode dudes crazy once saw the cracker kick a libtards head off just because he wanted to hes dangerous splode

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01 pm »
How many features should I get first?
8)

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01 pm »
At 3 rn, 2 this year
8)

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23 am »
How many features should I get first?
At 3 rn, 2 this year
As far as features go, I would say to focus a lot more on quality than quantity.  Think about it this way: If you are able to make a higher quality game than the current games you have out there, then that would demonstrate you understand more about the creators and how to make games than you previously have demonstrated through your other features.  Meanwhile, even if you could produce five featured games at the same level as your current ones in that same time, that would not provide me much additional information to work with and would, therefore, have a very minimal impact on your application.  That being said, above all else, the biggest area for you to work on would be showing your abilities to review and analyze games if you really are set on becoming Editor.  As of now, you have very limited proof of your abilities in this area.  Hopefully that all makes sense; I'm currently running off like two-three hours of sleep the past two nights so yeah.

Offline Ethan2009

• Local annoyance.
  • Mainsite Employee
  • Mortar
  • Failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25 am »
As far as features go, I would say to focus a lot more on quality than quantity.  Think about it this way: If you are able to make a higher quality game than the current games you have out there, then that would demonstrate you understand more about the creators and how to make games than you previously have demonstrated through your other features.  Meanwhile, even if you could produce five featured games at the same level as your current ones in that same time, that would not provide me much additional information to work with and would, therefore, have a very minimal impact on your application.  That being said, above all else, the biggest area for you to work on would be showing your abilities to review and analyze games if you really are set on becoming Editor.  As of now, you have very limited proof of your abilities in this area.  Hopefully that all makes sense; I'm currently running off like two-three hours of sleep the past two nights so yeah.
Thanks for the feedback now sleep 😴
8)

Offline Meta KnighT

• Mainsite Employee
  • Cruiser
  • #GetTrumped
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 10:45 am »
Thanks for the feedback now sleep 😴
Just got 2 hours of sleep last night as well.  Up to about 8 hours of sleep for the past 3 nights combined. 👍