Author Topic: Review -- Ryspo, by Sto4  (Read 108 times)

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
Review -- Ryspo, by Sto4
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:50 pm »
Don't worry, this is an edited version from last time, Meta
Ryspo, by Sto4!
Game: Ryspo
Maker: sto4
Type: Platformer

Pre-thoughts
It's been a while since we saw an EGD game from Sto4, or a even a platofrmer from him/ His last EGD game, Nesting Box, won first place in EGD 9, and this was his EGD 12 entry, and judging from my previous experience playing his games, Ryspo would be just as good, if not better. Sto generally imcoporate puzzle, mixed with heart-pounding gameplay and adventure, so i don't expect to be disappointed.

*NOTE* I beat the game with checkpoints, and afterwards watched the walkthrough, so this WILL be a full review.

Enjoy!!!

Review.

Ryspo certainly had a nice feel to it, you explored the map, avoiding enemies falling from trees and surviving areas surrounded by perm rings. Another thing was the side quests in order to get powerups; they were out of the way, and nicely done, in order to help with later levels. Health was well distributed, and so were the switch placements, but what was most well done surprised me.

Ratings.

Gameplay

The gameplay and enemy placement was quite unique. It takes and interesting concept and uses it in never before seen ways: stealth. This is a skill quite hard to master in the platform creator, but sto did it well. Instead of enemies placed along paths and fighting them, sto placed the enemies inside trees, forcing you to utilize instinct, and the blocks, placed. Beneath trees, there were certain dips in the blocks, allowing for an easier enemy fight, instead of an enemy falling on your head, and you dying. Another revolutionary concept was how sto4 used switches to activate perm rings, which made you stay in one area and survive, or actually fight the enemies, leaving no way to pass them. The boss battles were (in my opinion) some of the best ever, and the water levels changed how we think of platformer water areas; not the usual gross water levels with a bunch of fish tailing you that we all try to avoid. Another uncommon aspect of Ryspo was the hovercraft. Hovercrafts are hard to incorporate into a game in general, but sto4 went even farther than just this: he used hovercrafts in a boss fight, something never seen before. You had to dodge shots, (like from the firetroll mid-game), while shooting through lattice ramp blocks.

Scenery

The scenery wasn’t just scenery; it was a well-crafted environment. Sto4 built levels with nature, clouds, mountains, and the enemies matched this too. The color scheme was astounding, and the music was, too. Sto used backwalls to create amazing designs, that attract the eye. The trees not only led to a surprise with enemies, but also mixed in with the scenery to create hidden platforms, and made the nature themes a whole lot better. In the water levels, hidden caverns had some appealing back tiles, which the cookies complimented well. Another thing is the use of graphics. Sto4 utilized these in clouds, diamonds, and arrows, to signify a clear path, and used them well. The scenery rivaled--maybe even outdid--that of quest zone two, a popular EGL game.

Block Placement

The block placement was fantastic; they added to the boss battle sequences, and made fighting enemies falling from trees much more fair by the enemies having less access to getting to you. The blocks were linear and placed vertically to posses a more natural look to each level. When platforming was used, the platforms were just the right distance away from each other, and were long enough to fight enemies on without falling off, and the parkour's difficulty was reasonable. The water caves were placed well so that you had a hideout from sharks and the minion’s spells, but they had limited access to you when you began to exit. Sto4 really seemed to take his time, placing each block slowly, carefully, and individually, which is not something you see in most games anymore.

Enemy Placement

The enemies were placed decently well. Throughout the water, there were just enough enemies to take some damage, but left enough to swim, and fight back. The swimming enemies were used, but also enemies such as minions were they shot at you while you moved through the water. But something even better were the boss battles. Just enough enemies in each area of battles were placed, and in the right spot, too. The bosses had high health, and were utilized so that the player couldn’t just burst into the room; he or she really had to use strategy and think before entering. But what could sto4 have done better? In level one, and on some parts in the others, the tree enemies were overwhelming. To be honest, I thought that they were a good idea; dodging enemies before the fell and stunned you to take extra damage, but there were too many at the same time. Some places could cause you to lose a tenth of your health, while others could force you to lose all of it. Sto should have cut down on unforgiving enemies just a bit, or added necessary power-ups and health to take care of them.

Difficulty

Considering some poorly placed enemies, but also the brilliant side-quests for powerups to help out, I’d say that Ryspo has a nearly perfect difficult. With a few tries, you could probably beat it, but if not, Sto4 has also added a checkpoint system with embedded save points in which you could revive from where you last died. The enemies in level one, or two if you include the intro, were very difficult if you didn’t already know and expect a falling enemy, and even if you did, they were pretty hard to bypass. The water levels, though, were a perfect difficulty in my opinions. Turrets and spikes restricted hiding from the enemy, so you had to confront your underwater fiends most of the time, which restricted it from being too easy, and/or too hard. Certain boss battles could be overwhelming, but sto added things like lava, to chip away the firetroll’s health, and perm rings to block it’s shots. Sto4 made Ryspo with a good difficulty.

Lighting

I know that lighting is basically a subcategory of scenery, but since sto4 used lighting effects in Ryspo, I think that lighting is important enough to specify as its own category. Now, moving on, underground lighting was just brilliant--absolutely brilliant. Take level 11, for example. There was just enough lighting to create an ominous tone, but still see clearly enough. It really reminded me of Gaminator game, The Inner Worlds, and sto4’s EGD 9 winner, Nesting Box. Level 12, in my opinion, with the firetroll fight could have had a few more torches, but the mood of the level helped make a case for the lack of light. Overground, in scenery-clad areas, the lighting was thought out to create the mood, and tone, but also that you could spectate around the corners of the map. Sto4 did pretty well in this subcategory.

Ratings & Conclusion

Gameplay: ****.5/***** (4.5/5)
Scenery: *****/***** (5/5)
Block placement: ****.5/***** (4.5/5)
Enemy Placement: ****/***** (4/5)
Difficulty: ****/***** (4/5)
Lighting: ****.5/***** (4.5/5)
Overall: *********/********** (9/10)

I think that sto4 not only delivered a feature-worthy game, but an EGL worthy game, too. Sure, there were some flaws, such as unforgiving enemies, or it being challenging, but that doesn’t stop Ryspo from being amazing, and including an amazing checkpoint-revival system to get the full feel of the game. Thank you for your time.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:52 pm by Ethan2009 »

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: Review -- Ryspo, by Sto4
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11 pm »
And yes the sentence structure is set up correctly lol

Offline Marijn

• Stargirl
  • Soldier
  • Turret
  • killmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:45 pm »
Accepted

Your analysis is brilliant. I know exactly how you feel and I love how you just jump right into it. You are praising this game pretty highly, but don't treat it like its perfect, which is a good way to keep a reader engaged. I also like how you brought up lighting and were able to make a whole paragraph out of it, decent work. You could use some cleanup format-wise (why do you have "Review." and "Ratings." up there?) and your vocabulary is a bit on the basic side (best ever?) but that's something that comes with time and experience. Great review!

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:48 pm »
Accepted

Your analysis is brilliant. I know exactly how you feel and I love how you just jump right into it. You are praising this game pretty highly, but don't treat it like its perfect, which is a good way to keep a reader engaged. I also like how you brought up lighting and were able to make a whole paragraph out of it, decent work. You could use some cleanup format-wise (why do you have "Review." and "Ratings." up there?) and your vocabulary is a bit on the basic side (best ever?) but that's something that comes with time and experience. Great review!
Thank you! I have review to start off, I dont count pre-thoughts lol.

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:38 pm »
An I allowed to post this on the Ms once I get the badge, too?

Offline Marijn

• Stargirl
  • Soldier
  • Turret
  • killmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42 pm »
An I allowed to post this on the Ms once I get the badge, too?
Yes

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:25 pm »
I think i'm going to tweak it for it to be longer with better wording beifre it goes on the ms

Offline duck5557474

• PAC-MAN FAN
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
  • Beware of the Quack Attack!
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:17 pm »
I think i'm going to tweak it for it to be longer with better wording beifre it goes on the ms

Good idea. Maybe elaborate more on the ratings... [Just a suggestion]

Favorite Super Paper Mario quote: "Yeah! Anyone who wears a cape and a monocle is just begging for a beating."

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:27 pm »
Good idea. Maybe elaborate more on the ratings... [Just a suggestion]
I have the ratings based on the big paragraphs

Offline duck5557474

• PAC-MAN FAN
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
  • Beware of the Quack Attack!
    • View Profile
    • Cynumb
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:27 pm »
I have the ratings based on the big paragraphs

Oh, okay. I though you just pulled those ratings just out of your head... Sorry!

Favorite Super Paper Mario quote: "Yeah! Anyone who wears a cape and a monocle is just begging for a beating."

Online Ethan2009

• Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:45 pm »
Oh, okay. I though you just pulled those ratings just out of your head... Sorry!
::)