Author Topic: You can only 'mine' 4 blocks -A review of MINECRAFT like but COOLER by lordofold  (Read 169 times)

Offline starcraft1234

• Professional Gunman
  • Cruiser
  • not a nazi just an octonaut
    • View Profile
    • Click on this epic gamer link
First of all I need to flex on y'all that I have the record of 2:58  [B)]

MINECRAFT like but COOLER is about a boy named Lordofold when he made Minecraft in Sploder but he didn't know how so he just placed stuff.
The game is actually about Thugs taking over a mine so you need to stop them by getting crystals underground.
It's very confusing.
Okay now to delve deeper into this creeper

GAMEPLAY

The game starts with a life heart down below you despite there only being 11 enemies in the game.  There is then a long pool of water (very slow and annoying water) with seemingly random light and dark blue colors over the blue water.  If you trace the bottom (or use radar), you'll find blocks arranged in a stair-like way (probably to mislead people to the surface) that block your path with a secret entrance leading to a story element that goes absolutely nowhere.

I will give credit that Lordofold tried his hardest to make the platforms look like Minecraft with the resources he had (there was no graphics editor then), and it looks pretty decent, but doing this triggers a bug in Platformer Creator (I don't know if it's still around, or if it was with other blocks) that makes it so you can not jump while a block is underwater.  The block was in the water yet can be touched by the surface thus making the game think the block is underwater and you can't jump on it.  This takes away from the platforming element in this specific area and the only ways to get over it are breaking the block in front of you and moving on to it OR having a very slow computer and using the lag to charge an abnormally high jump.  Lag is very exploitable in Flash.

The next thing you come across is an old lair that has an enemy in it named Old Henry.  He says he's Old Henry and wants you to leave but instead of being polite he tries to kill you with a spear which is very nice especially towards people a bit sad.  Once you put him to sleep and try to get out, you realize it's a little tricky.  The ladder is one block lower than possible using intended physics and the only 2 ways to get out are to use your sword when on the ladder to get a fling upwards or, again, having a very slow computer and using the lag to charge an abnormally high jump.

When you exploit physics you come across 2 trees.  These are intended as platforms but end up being unfair and badly placed.  You jump on the tree's leaves but you fall through even though other leaves closer to the center have solid concrete to stand on.  This is probably a graphic choice by Lordofold due to the concrete blocks showing on the other tree that is easier to see.  There is also a weird enemy placement in a small dark 3x8 cave housing a Thug.  Curiosity killed the virtual cat.

Then there is a sign that looks odd due to Sploder grid placing that points towards Henderson Mine.  When passing this sign 4 Thugs suddenly fall down with only one being close enough to get over the sign and attack you.  Then there is another Thug, and another, and another, and then one falls from the sky, and 2 more by a ladder to the mine blocked by rocks, making it a faulty route.  The route is actually just about 20-30 blocks away and is covered by nothing except your 2 meters high 1 meter wide Minecraft body.

I'll try to make this quick to get to other sections and make this review more enjoyable.  Out of the 31 crystals in the game, 30 of them are in this mine (with one in Old Henry's lair).  The first one is to your right in the corner, and the others are down very fast stairs.  After you break your back you hit a block which, because of Sploder lighting, is completely invisible without a torch or using radar.  Going right and doing well placed jumps and sword climbing takes you to your second crystal.

To the left of that invisible block is a ladder which leads to a platform going left and right.  Going left gets you a crystal and going right gives you a ladder which leads to a platform going left or right.  Going left gets you a crystal and going right gives you.. nothing. The crystal you see is behind a wall.  Lordofold is a good misleader.  Going back down to the prior platform going further right gets you the formerly blocked crystal.

When running down the next part of stairs, 3 spikes fall on to you which distracts you or you focus on everything else and probably pass it.  There are 2 short ladders down here which both have stairs to small rooms containing crystals.  The first room has 2 crystals on top and 5 in the room, and the second has 3 on a shelf like structure.

Hold left down the final stairs and, if you don't let go, you will get the crystal.  This is used by Lordofold as an easy crystal to get that requires knowledge of the workings of the game in order to make the game go faster, creating re-playability through unneeded trail and error.  Go right to get 6 crystals and repeat the same except jump onto the upper platform to get 3 crystals.  This again uses unneeded trial and error to become faster thus creating re-playability due to the jump onto the upper platform and which crystals to go to first.

The final ladder needed to complete this game is the ladder by the 'continue left' crystal.  Go back up there and you will see 2 crystals looking at you through the wall.  When you try to get them, you realize the blackness is made up of 4 or so invisible blocks blocking your path.  Sploder lighting strikes again and it sucks.  Anyways, you just need to slowly walk left until you fall a block or 2 and get the 2 crystals.  Then, after the long journey, you jump down the ladder to find 2 floors of lava.  The higher one is to mislead you into dying, while the lower one has the final crystals.  These crystals are difficult.  There are two blocks that lead to nearly inescapable lava, which means you have to go as fast as you can, jump or die, slow down, stop, go to the fridge, eat something, go back, speed up, jump again, and (hopefully) land on the platform with the last 4 crystals.  I've noticed a trend of Sploder physics being mean.

Although some of these nitpicks are on the Platformer Creator's end, that doesn't mean they're not on Lordofold as well.  Lordofold did not try to fix the mistakes, in fact, he used them to mislead players.  Also, the placement of enemies are odd and close together and sometimes don't even work due to the Thugs' inability to jump.  The trees have confusing collision due to more commitment to graphics, and Old Henry is just too nice.  But these aren't even problems when compared to the story.  Oh lord, the story.

STORY

Remember that useless story element that I mentioned before?  Well, this is it.  It's a sign that says "GWEN COME TO MY HOUSE FROM OLD HENRY".  The game doesn't any more information about Gwen, but I presume she's Old Henry's love interest.  Gwen did not arrive at Old Henry's house and that is the reason he is so angry.  He likely suffers from some sort of mental illness for him to try to kill us.  Or that's what I thought...
My theory is that WE KILLED GWEN and Old Henry is only fighting for revenge against the murderer of her.  Even worse, when we play the intended route of the game (get the heart, kill old henry, kill thugs, go to mine and get crystals), we KILL OLD HENRY, making us, the player, more evil than any enemy in this game.  This deepens the plot tenfold and now Old Henry has a story and a reason to exist.

Then we have the horrible Thugs.  They took over the mine.  My theory of the Thugs is that they are commanded by Old Henry (making a connection between 2 characters in the game), and they were commanded to protect the mine from us horrible people but ended up taking it over entirely unbeknownst to Old Henry.  When we defeated the Thugs and got in the mine, we collected the necessary crystals to become the richest man on Earth.

This is the only amount of story I could gather from this game that even BARELY connects.  It's probably 99% incorrect for all I know.  In all seriousness, this story makes no sense and mostly involves theory and lies to construct.  But this is a Minecraft fan game.  Why am I even doing this?

CONCULSION

this game sucks lol

Okay, that was a joke.  Sure, this game has a lot of unnecessary and annoying difficulties and problems, its attempted story doesn't have an ending, a beginning, or a middle for that matter, but it has a sort of charm to it.  The huge mine really gives the game a sort of free feel unlike more small, cramped games then and now, and a few of the problems challenge the player in a manner that makes you want to come back and complete it faster and faster until you beat my 2:58 time.  The graphics really utilize the stock platforms to create Minecraft as well as possible on a kids game website, being much better than the clickbait 'Minecraft' shooter games from 2009 and the other Minecraft games that didn't become the 2nd most popular game on the website like this game did.

Gameplay: 6/10
Story: 2/10
Graphics: 6.7/10

Overall score: 5/10 (based on mathematical average)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah the thing's done but a friend told me to say this (don't add this oof)
rajand100 is a very good looking gentleman at the end of the thing

Offline starcraft1234

• Professional Gunman
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
Or maybe the 'kill old henry' bit is a little too mature for Sploder.  I don't know.

Offline Marijn

• Chart Lover
  • Soldier
  • Speeder
  • We be throwing money in a spiral
    • View Profile
Denied...reluctantly

This is almost really solid, I will say. You are certainly a very forceful personality in this review and I did enjoy reading it. I like your style and it would fit perfectly with other reviews, your certainly unique. However, your analysis is very weak. You talk about a lot of the game mechanics but never go into, well, reviewing it. A lot of your opinions are only implied and not explicitly stated and explained. This sounds like a walkthrough, which is a no-no. Also, there are some errors, the most notable is that you have multiple spaces when you start a new sentence.    <- Doing this isn't necessary or correct. It is really distracting. Another thing, you could clean up your formatting a great bit. The length isn't an issue, but you have a lot of short paragraphs instead of a few decently-long ones. Having 1-3 paragraphs per section isn't a bad thing and looks better than what you've done here. Just tidy up the formatting a little. Although you have some work to do and I don't feel that you aren't quite ready for the job, you are damn near close :)

Offline starcraft1234

• Professional Gunman
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
During the review I was really thinking it was starting to not become a review, but I saw some opinions stated so I shrugged it off.
Great idea

Offline Marijn

• Chart Lover
  • Soldier
  • Speeder
  • We be throwing money in a spiral
    • View Profile
During the review I was really thinking it was starting to not become a review, but I saw some opinions stated so I shrugged it off.
Great idea
If you feel that whatever your writing just isn't good enough or isn't working, remember that it's totally fine to start over. Remember that a review is just an opinion piece, if you feel like you don't have enough opinion (along with reasoning for your opinions), then you should try to fix it.

Offline starcraft1234

• Professional Gunman
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
You're absolutely right.