Author Topic: MONSTER MADNESS #7 Friday the 13th series review (Movies 9 to remake)  (Read 32 times)

Online kingofdanerds

• Kingofdanerds, PhD Memeology
  • Turret
    • View Profile
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

In 1993, the last film in the Friday the 13th series was released. Yeah, that is a lie because Jason X was the last film in the series and Freddy vs Jason was just a crossover film. I always wanted to watch this film because of how cool this film looked (from pictures). This film did decent at box office and was mixed among critics and viewers. So, let’s get to the plot!

We open up with Jason chasing this lady where eventually Jason gets blown to hell. For some reason, Jason’s heart survives and the coroner eats the heart and the spirit of Jason takes over the body of the coroner. So, people who are possessed by Jason go around and kill and possess people. We then meet this guy who seems to know everything about Jason and reveals that if Jason kills a blood relative, he will become immortal. Jason attempts to kill one of his relatives but our main character Steve attacks Jason and the half sister of Jason is killed. Steve is at the wrong place and wrong time and is arrested. Steve gets out and Jason goes and chases Steve. Eventually, the bounty hunter takes a baby, who is a relative of Jason and says to have Steve and the daughter of Jason’s half sister come. They do so and the bounty hunter gives them this dagger that will kill Jason once and for all. Jason eventually is reborn after this creature (which is Jason) crawls into the half sister of Jason’s splode. Eventually Jason is stabbed with the dagger and is dragged to hell. We see Steve and the daughter of the half sister of Jason walk away. We then see Jason’s mask lying in the dirt and all of a sudden, Freddy Krueger’s hand grabs the mask and drags it into the earth. The End.

Between Parts VIII and IX, there was a Friday the 13th TV show, but it had nothing to do with the film franchise. (Just a little triva for you all). This film is not the worst, but not the best either. I liked the look of Jason, when he is in hockey mask form. It is an interesting take on the series. It is definetly the most supernatural of the series. It is gory, but not scary. The ending is amazing. Now, this is the first film in the series that was produced by New Line Cinema (who owns the rights to A Nightmare on Elm Street). So, the fact that a Freddy vs Jason film was confirmed is amazing. But, it would be another 10 years for the film to be released. In general, it is a decent film, it could have been better.

Rating: 5/10

Jason X

So, after the ending for Jason Goes To Hell, Freddy vs Jason was in the making. From what I know, production was slow and so it was decided to make a film in between just to keep audiences busy. The film turned into Jason X. This film does not take place on Earth, but rather in space. Much like Leprechaun 4 (but that is for a later review). The film was released in 2001 (2002 for the US) and critcs slammed the movie. The budget for this movie was really high at about $14 million. The box office was OK, but in conclusion this movie bombed (despite meeting it’s budget). Well, let’s get to the plot!

In the future, Jason is having people try to kill him with many failures. Eventually Jason is cryogenically frozen along with this girl. Hundreds of years later, Earth has become uninhabitable, so people are going in spaceships to a new planet. A group of people pick up the frozen bodies of Jason and the girl. The girl wakes up and Jason appears to be dead. Jason goes on to kill some people (including one where he drowns this girl in liquid nitrogen and smashes her face). After killing people, Jason causes a spaceship to crash into another. Jason goes on to fight this android and is defeated. Jason reanimates into a much more powerful, Uber Jason. Eventually, one of the survivors sacrifices themselves by grabbing Jason and flying into the atmosphere of the planet that is supposed to be inhabited by the Earth population. The End.

This film is not good. But to be fair, it is not the worst film. This film does have a fair deal of everything that should be in a slasher film. Violence, nudity, and language. This film does have some of the most memorable kills in the series. Many dislike the space setting of the film, but I thought it was OK. I got kind of lost with the film when Uber Jason was introduced. To be honest, I don’t like Uber Jason. The idea of having the main killer/villain killed only to be resurrected and become more powerful is cliche. The acting is not the greatest and even Kane Hodder’s role as Jason was not the greatest. In general, it is a film that was not supposed to be good and for me it was not neccessarily bad. Many would describe this film as a film that is so bad, that it is good. So, is it the worst in the series? No.

Rating: 4/10

Freddy vs Jason

In 2003, every horror movie fan’s dream came true. Freddy vs. Jason. As you may know, this film is a crossover film starring Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorhies. The film had a high budget, but had one of the highest box office returns for both of the series. This is the last film in both series where there have been reboots for both series. The film has become a fan favorite since it’s release. Without further ado, let’s get to the plot!

Freddy Kruger is weak due to people forgetting about him. He convinces Jason to kill people so that Freddy can become more powerful. Jason goes on to kill people and eventually Freddy sees that Jason is taking all of the credit for the killing. Then there is the group of teens who are trying to make sense of all of this. They side with Jason and develop a plan to bring Freddy into the real world. There is a couple fight scenes between Freddy and Jason. Eventually the group of teens are starting to get killed by both Freddy and Jason. It is revealed that Freddy caused the death of the mother of one of the teens (but who cares). There is another fight between Freddy and Jason and one of the teens kill Freddy (even though they were trying to kill both). The end scene shows Jason holding Freddy’s head (which means Freddy must be dead. Right?) Then we see Freddy wink. The End.

The film did its job by focusing on Freddy and Jason. Sure, they tried to add a little bit of story for the teens, but Freddy and Jason is the only reason why anyone would watch this film. It is a decent film to watch. This film is a gore fest that fails to disappoint. The first time that I watched this, I was a little confused. So, I watched it again only to get a better understanding. Sure, any film pitting two monsters/killers like Alien vs. Predator are awesome. But, we all know that there is never a clear winner. Which seems cliche now these days. The film has it’s cheesy moments. The fight scenes were few, but the fight scenes were great. In one fight, one opponent would win only to have their asses handed to them in the next fight and the final fight would end up in a draw. In conclusion, the film is a good crossover, a must watch. It has some minor flaws, but nonetheless, a good film. Not the best film, but a good film.

Rating: 6/10

Friday the 13th

2009 saw the Friday the 13th series recieve it’s first film reboot. The film was supposed to be an “origin of Jason” film much like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and later Leatherface. But the film was a reimagining of Parts I-IV. I do not remember this film being in theaters but I watched it when it first came on TV. The film had a high budget but had a great run at the box office. But critcs gave negative reviews of the film. Well, let’s get to the plot.

We see Pamela Voorhies get her head chopped off with Jason being a witness. Many years later, we see a group of people come to Crystal Lake. Adult Jason kills all but one. Later, we see our main group of characters at the camp where the brother of the girl that Jason kidnapped, looks for her. The rest of the film is a search for the main character’s sister and people getting killed by Jason. Eventually, our main character rescues his sister and eventually Jason is killed after the sister pretends to be Jason’s mother. The film ends with Jason being dumped in the lake and waking up and dragging the sister underwater.

I do like this remake. This film does have a better plot than the first film and the sequels. Jason’s character was done well. He is muscular and strong. The film adds plenty to the series and the slasher genre as a whole. I really like how the film is a mix of the first four films. The acting is still not the greatest and that is to be expected when it comes to the slasher genre. There is plenty of gore and with modern horror movies, that is to be expected. The scare factor is at a level that has not been seen since the early days of the series. Other than that, it is one of the best horror remakes I have seen and I do recommend watching this if you are wanting to see a modern slasher.

Rating: 6/10

In conclusion, the Friday the 13th series does not have a standout film but collectively the films are average to mediocre. Though I do love the series for what they are. I love how the series managed to have such an impact that it has on society. In general, the Friday the 13th series is a must watch series for anyone wanting to get in to the slasher genre. These are films that you can pretty much watch on any day (though some people try to binge watch them all on Friday the 13th.) So, if you ever get the chance, watch some of the films in the series. It is something you will not regret.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
  • No voice to cry suffering
    • View Profile
could you maybe keep all these in one thread so you dont drown everything else out

Some truths you can find only when you get lost.

Online kingofdanerds

• Turret
    • View Profile
could you maybe keep all these in one thread so you dont drown everything else out

Character max keeps me from doing so

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
just make a new post in the thread

Online kingofdanerds

• Turret
    • View Profile
just make a new post in the thread

I am about to post the final ones. I will do it for those. As for these ones, I can't really do anything about it.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
yes you can lmao, just make one thread and put them all inside it

Online kingofdanerds

• Turret
    • View Profile
yes you can lmao, just make one thread and put them all inside it

I will just keep these like they are. I will remember to make one thread for these reviews in the future. I was used to the previous forums (which seemed to not have a character max.) Thanks for telling me about this!

Offline Benno MKII

• The biggest nub
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
  • I am back here.
    • View Profile
Thanked.