Author Topic: Hollow Knight [ Megathread ]  (Read 951 times)

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
  • No voice to cry suffering
    • View Profile
Hollow Knight [ Megathread ]
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:04 am »
Porting this over from TK. I'm merging both the original HK thread and the Godmaster thread. Please don't post until I'm done.

Some truths you can find only when you get lost.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Knight [ Megathread ]
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04 am »
Boss Fights
So apparently the forums has a 20k character limit for every post so I can't have everything in one post, I'm gonna be posting every boss fight in their own individual posts from this point

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 05:05 am »

Gruz Mother
The Slumbering God of Fertility

No charms

Okay, first technical boss and the easiest boss in the game. When you find her, she's sleeping on the floor. I'd highly recommend running and Nail bouncing on her to get good opening damage. When she flies off you can carry on Nail bouncing until you hit the roof. Whenever she flies down towards the ground, get back on top and keep Nail bouncing, its the best way to damage her. If you need to heal, the best time would be during her slam attack. It's pretty easy to avoid, just wait until she's right next to you, slams up and then you just walk underneath. You get good time to heal. Pretty simple fight.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:05 am »

False Knight
The Angry God of the Downtrodden

Stalwart Shell

Stalwart shell is the only charm useful in combat at this point in the game, just giving you that extra breathing room when you take damage. Use it to either get away from danger, heal or get more damage in. False Knight is a very easy fight, he's big and easy to get damage off on. Whenever he jumps up, run underneath him to the other side and keep attacking. Though, obviously don't run to the side he's about to attack. If you don't have enough room on the other side, say he's jumped to the corner of a room, just run away and wait for him to move out. When he starts to swing his club on both sides of him, dodge the falling rocks and don't attempt to attack him. If you need time to heal, that's a good time to take it. Another good time is when he's on the floor and his head pops out the suit. Easy boss.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06 am »

Hornet
The God Protector of a Fading Land

Stalwart Shell/Soul Catcher

Hornet is the first challenging boss fight in the game. She's smaller, faster, has a wider movepool compared to previous bosses and also has ranged attacked. Stalwart shell is useful for breathing room, since she's fairly fast and don't give a lot of room for mistakes. Soul Catcher is another viable option since, at this point in the game, you have Vengeful Spirit which does 3x your current Nail damage. Having Soul Catcher gives you more soul per hit but you don't have that breathing room. It's personal choice really. Hornet is one of those fights where staying on the ground works, she jumps about a lot and, if you jump too erratically, you're gonna take unneeded damage. Only jump when you know what attack is coming and where it's coming. A good tactic to avoid her ranged attack is Nail jumping onto her Needle when she throws it. It's easier to avoid by Nail jumping rather than jumping on the return. Go in for damage when she's just finished and attack, use Vengeful Spirit when you can. Her whirlwind attack is a good chance to heal.

Hornet 2
The God Protector of a Fading Land

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Stalwart Shell
+ Shade Soul
+ Channelled Nail or above
+ Monarch Wings

Mark of pride helps massively against Hornet. Having extra distance makes avoiding her projectile needle a lot easier and helps to avoid physical contact damage. Quick slash, in my opinion, is required for this second fight. Not only does it help deal damage faster but it helps when clearing the spike traps she spreads throughout the battle. If you don't keep on top of those, it becomes very restricted very fast. Stalwart shell gives you extra breathing room if you take damage from one of those traps or Hornet herself. Shade soul is preferred over regular Vengeful spirit because of the much needed extra damage output. Having the Channelled Nail the minimum recommended for Hornet 2, ideally you'd be going into the fight with the Coiled nail as, the longer the fight goes on the harder it is to keep up with her spike traps. Monarch wings help immensely with movement and are useful for emergency manoeuvrers. This fight is a significant step up from the first Hornet fight, she moves faster, has extra attacks and a significantly larger amount of health. But, the basic principles remain the same. Avoid unneeded jumping, heal during the AOE attack and use Shade Soul/Vengeful spirit when you get the chance. However, now you have to manage an extra attack, where you lays out spike traps in the middle of the arena. They can be destroyed with your Nail and I recommend clearing them at any chance. Even if it means sacrificing some damage on Hornet, those traps can quickly overwhelm you and you'll find yourself boxed in very quick. 

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06 am »

Mantis Lords
The Nobel Sister Gods of Combat

Longnail
Stalwart Shell
Balder Shell/Lifeblood Core (Optional)
+ Sharpened Nail (Optional)

This is one of my favourite boss fights in videogames. It's fast, it's got a kick ass theme, it's incredibly satisfying to dodge attacks, the boss design is killer. I splodeing love it. Okay, so longnail gives you extra reach, keeps you out of immediate danger and is almost a requirement for this fight since getting too close will more than likely end up in you taking damage. Stalwart shell is, in my opinion, a requirement too since the fight is very fast. If you take a mask of damage, you will probably end up taking another if you take too long to get back into it, Stalwart shell really extends that time and gives you much needed breathing room. The last two are really optional. Baldur shell is there if you need some emergency healing while Lifeblood core gives you some extra health off the bat. You just need to be careful when getting to the fight since you can't heal back lifeblood masks. You can do this fight with the regular Old Nail, you don't need to upgrade it but upgrading to the Sharpened Nail does make the fight go by faster. The fight itself is tough when you fight go into it, it can seem like the first boss its impossibly fast and just attacks out of nowhere. If you barely get past the first half, the second half will be almost impossible with more attacks coming at a faster rate. It gets harder to manage but, the more times you do the fight, the easier it is to learn their attacks and react to them. It is very much a learn-as-you-go fight. My main advice would be to keep going at the boss until you beat it.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:07 am »

Crystal Guardian
The Shining God of Greed

Mark of Pride
Dreamshield
+ Sharpened Nail
+ 6 total masks

Mark of Pride is essentially a better longnail. It takes up more notches but gives you a lot more reach, which I'd argue is a very worthy trade off. Dreamshield is a lot more effective in this fight than I previously thought, outright blocking some of the Guardians beams. Sharpened Nail is recommended to speed up the fight quite a lot and having 6 masks just makes it that bit easier to survive. This boss was a splode to fight the first time I fought it. Every attack felt random and impossible to dodge. One massive tip I wish I would've figured out sooner is to not jump erratically. The only time you jump is when he is charging his own beam. Jump over him and get in damage while hes firing it. DO NOT JUMP WHEN HE'S DONE, ONLY JUMP WHEN YOU KNOW HE'S CHARGING. I've taken way too much damage by instantly jumping and then he jumps directly into me. Dreamshield comes into play when multiple beams are firing from the roof. The shield will outright block any beam that hits it and it will give you extra breathing room to dodge the beam the guardian fires. Make sure you keep track of the whole stage, it makes dodging the beams a lot more manageable. Also, bonus tip, make sure you have the lift from Dirtmouth to Crystal Peaks working before you do this fight (It requires the crystal heart ability) because it's the closest bench to the fight and will save you a tonne of time and pain. 

Crystal Guardian 2
The Shining God of Greed

Mark of Pride
Lifeblood Heart/Lifeblood Core/Joni's Blessing
Stalwart Shell
+ Coiled Nail or above
+ As many masks as possible
+ Shade Soul (optional but recommended)
+ Monarch Wings

Mark of pride is needed absolutely for this fight. The reach is beyond useful. Any of the three lifeblood charms are basically needed for this fight, the Guardian does 2 masks of damage per hit during this second fight. Which one you use depends on your current Notch count. I used Lifeblood Heart due to my low Notch count but all are useful. If you can afford it, Joni's blessing is probably the most optimal. There are no guaranteed heal chances in this fight and the plethora of health you get from the charm is more than needed. Stalwart shell is highly recommended. If you take one hit in this fight without the shell, it is very likely you're gonna take another within seconds. That's 4 masks of damage gone in seconds. Stalwart shell gives you the much needed recovery time that isn't normally given in this fight. I don't recommend fighting the Guardian(2) with anything below the Coiled Nail. This is a fight that will drive you insane if it goes on too long and you'll just get more and more likely to die. As many masks as you can get before this fight is massively optimal, since 2 masks of damage per hit will result in this fight ending pretty quickly on your end. Shade soul is highly recommend but not required. The extra damage compared to Vengeful Spirit is too juicy but you don't get too many chances to hit him with the attack. Monarch wings are required to even get to this fight but you need to use them during it. This is my least favourite boss fight in the whole game. Juggling the roof lasers along with this guys stupidly quick jumps and his own laser whilst also taking 2 masks of damage per hit is just ridiculous. There isn't too many strategies for this fight. Jump over the laser he fires directly as you, watch out for the second then go in for hits. Pray you don't get hit when the roof lasers fire and for the love of god do not let him hit you when he jumps. There's a bench very close to the fight, so dying and learning to react correctly over and over is very much viable. The build you go into the fight with is basically make or break. There next to no chances to heal in this fight, so don't bother. Just go in and pray.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:07 am »

Brooding Mawlek
The Lonely God of the Nest

Mark of pride
Weaversong
Quick slash
+ 6 Masks or above

Mark of pride really does excel in this fight. The extra range means you can hit from a relatively safe distance without moving too much and avoiding a decent amount of damage. Weaversong is definitely a more unorthodox choice for this fight and can be swapped out for other charms, but the weavers extra damage is a nice addition. Plus it's just nice to have lmao. Quick slash makes this fight go by a lot "quicker" hehe and its very useful for getting a tonne of damage in quickly. When I first tried this fight I struggled a lot with it. I didn't have quick slash and was trying to dodge this guys attacks which wasn't working out. I realised that you really need to go high on offence here. The idea is to hug the side of the raised platform the Mawlek is standing on and just keep digging into him. If you get hit away, the weavers will keep piling on chip damage. When he jumps, its a good idea to quickly move to the otherside of the arena and just keep taking hits and slashing away. This is a lot easier if you have the Coiled nail but the Channelled nail works too.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:08 am »

Nosk
The Everchanging God of the Faceless

Mark of Pride
Stalwart Shell
Soul Catcher / Spell Twister
+ Coiled nail or above
+ Abyss Shriek and Shade Soul
+ 6 Masks or more

Mark of pride is very much needed in this fight. Nosk is a big splodeer and you need that extra reach to nail bounce over him. Shaman Stone dramatically boosts the power of your spells, which is extremely useful during this fight. Soul Catcher is interchangeable with Spell Twister as both server a similar purpose. Soul Catcher gives you more soul on a physical hit meaning more chances for healing and casting spells while Spell twister decreases the amount of soul used up by a spell, almost doing the same thing. I'd personally go for Soul Catcher. Coiled Nail is the recommended Nail upgrade to go with in this fight, its the highest damage output you can get with your nail at this point. Abyss Shriek and Shade Soul both do massive with the Shaman Stone and are going to be your main routes of attack. The arena is set up in a similar way to the Brooding Mawlek, with one large, slightly raised platform in the centre. Nosk will cover the entire arena by running across it, dropping infected goo from the ceiling and shooting it from his centre. Typically, the safest places to be is pressed up against one of the sides of the platform. From here, as he runs over, you can use Abyss Shriek to get good damage on. You can't just sit there however. When he jumps into the ceiling, you're forced to move around the stage and avoid the goo. When he drops back down, run to the edge of the platform on the opposite side and either heal or damage him. At the point where Nosk has ran and reached the same edge as you, you need to move from that corner, you can either Nail jump over him or rush to the other side. Do not jump erratically. Only jump when nail bouncing on him or when dashing to avoid the goo from the roof. If you want to damage him while he's exploding goo or while he's on the other side of the arena, Shade Soul is your best option. It does a lot of damage and is minimal risk at those points. If you run out of soul, going in for single hits or nail bounces are the best chances of getting more soul while also getting damage off. Healing points are few and far between and very few of them are safe. Healing during Nosks exploding goo attack is an option but only when you're pressed against his centre platform. Another is when he's about to run directly over you from the other side of the arena but you must get out of that position as fast as possible. Explaining all this is fairly difficult, but once you're in the fight you'll understand what all of this means.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 05:08 am »

Dung Defender
The Kindly God of Bravery and Honour

Mark of Pride
Quick Focus
Grubsong
+ Channelled Nail
+ 6 Masks

Mark of pride is there for your normal splode, extra reach, breathing room. Since this fight is fairly quick and covers a lot of the map, Quick focus is very useful to getting emergency heals in during certain attacks since you're more than likely going to get at least one mask recovered before you have to move. Honestly, because of my Notch amount at the time, I put Grubsong on there to fill in the final Notch. It is useful, having extra soul on being damaged means you don't have to worry about lacking enough soul to heal. Once you've beat this fight once, it becomes a lot easier to re-do. If you haven't beat it before, then learning the attacks obviously makes it easier. When he's throwing his projectiles, it's a good idea to get close and swing your Nail until he stops. Mark of pride gives you enough reach to avoid the melee damage you might take as a result of getting close. Try to avoid unnecessary jumping, the Defender spends a lot of time in the air and jumping about too much will result in a lot of damage. If you remain calm, avoid dashing and watch for the Defenders telegraphing, this fight shouldn't be too hard. If you need healing, a good time to do it is during his diving attack and his tunnelling attack. If you're facing the opposite way to the Defender while he's diving, heal then. Once you know where the Defender is going to leap after tunnelling (you can tell because the ground stops moving), run to a safe area (usually a corner) and heal.   

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 05:08 am »

Flukemarm
The Alluring God of Motherhood

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Stalwart Shell
+ Coiled Nail or above
+ Monarch wings

Mark of pride is obvious, the extra reach means the Flukefeys this thing spawns don't even have a chance to get close to you. Quick slash lets you get a disgusting amount of damage in against this thing and, if you somehow get swarmed by Flukefeys, you can brute force your way out with just pure raw nail strength. Stalwart shell gives you extra recovery time if you get hit by the Flukefeys. I might have been lying when I said that the Gruz Mother was the easiest boss fight, because this thing is barely a boss. You enter the arena and nothing will happen until the thing takes damage. Climb to the very top, monarch wings makes this easier, and just spam nail jump on its head. Do nothing else. You can even afford to get hit by the like 2 Flukefeys that will spawn in the time it takes to kill it. Just. Keep. Spamming. It. With coiled nail (without the extra speed of quick slash) it took me less than 30 seconds to kill this thing and I ended up taking one mask of damage. Easy splode.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:09 am »

Soul Master
The Covetous God of Soul

Mark of Pride
Quick Focus
Defenders Crest/Thorns of Agony/Grubsong
+ 6 Masks or above
+ Monarch Wings

Mark of pride is standard, Soul Master is big and the extra reach given by this charm makes it easier to hit him without taking damage. Quick focus is needed for the usual reasons, this is a fairly quick fight with very selective healing chances. Normal focusing is too slow to take advantage of them, quick focus is recommended to get sufficient healing in during those select moments. Defenders Crest is really interchangeable and depends on your current notch count. I had 7 at the time of this fight, meaning I had one notch spare. Extra damage from defenders crest is nice, but thorns of agony or grubsong are all useful charms that take up one notch. Channelled Nail is the minimum recommended Nail upgrade, obviously anything above is better. Same with 6 Masks. The monarch wings are incredibly useful for dodging certain attacks in this fight and I wouldn't recommend doing this fight without them. Soul Master is split into two distinct halves. The first half takes a decent amount of getting used to. His move set is very different to most other bosses in the game and learning it can be a challenge. Jumping isn't too dangerous during this fight, you'll often have to jump over projectiles in order to dodge them and get damage into him. Jumping is also required to avoid the shock wave damage his slam does, this is where the monarch wings can often save you from taking unneeded damage. If you find chances to get above him, take it and Nail bounce on him. He doesn't have too many attacks to cover above him except for the slam and projectiles. The best time to get damage in is when he floats along the arena. It's very easy to just get on top and swing damage in, or face tank him and just swing as he comes at you. The best time to heal is when he summons 4 projectiles that rotate around him, he'll move to one side of the map then teleport slowly to the other side. Make use of Quick focus here and heal up.

The second half is much quicker and much easier. His slam attacks no longer have shock waves but he will do them much more frequently. You can move yourself out the way and hit him mid slam for easy damage. When he stops and starts firing projectiles, just ignore them and melt damage into him. He should die pretty quickly.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:09 am »

Hive Knight
The Watchful God of Duty

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Sharp Shadow
+ Coiled Nail

Mark of Pride is always good to have, specifically in this match it allows you to hit away the Bee swarms before they have a chance to get close to you. Quick Slash lets you really easily melt the Knight and Sharp Shadow gives you extra damage when trying to dodge attacks or get out of a corner. Having the Coiled Nail along with Quick Slash allows you to dish out a tonne of damage in no time flat. Hive Knight is very easy to face tank without using any Lifeblood charms, which would usually be used for face tanking. You can essentially hug the Knight and just hack away, occasionally dashing through him and getting damage off with sharp shadow. There's little point in dodging most of his attacks, just go up to him, preferably in a corner and melt his face with Quick Slash + Coiled Nail damage.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 05:10 am »

The Collector
The Joyful God of Protection

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Sharp Shadow
+ Coiled Nail or above

As per usual, mark of pride is here. It helps keep a good distance from the collector while still being able to get close for good damage. It's also very useful for hitting the small enemies he spawns before they can get close. Quick slash is basically essential for this fight. Being able to hack away at the collector like a demon, getting multiple hits in while he moves and hack away at the enemies he spawns is invaluable. Sharp Shadow is good for dodging out of dangerous situations while getting damage off on anything you hit. Coiled Nail is required for this fight as it allows you to kill every enemy spawned by the collector in one hit. If you can't, the fight gets very crowded very fast. Before I figured out the strategy to beat this guy, I was stuck for hours just throwing myself at him. The key is having the Coiled Nail and Quick slash. Being able to kill everything he spawns instantly is a requirement and being able to get tonnes of swings into him during the limited ground time is invaluable. You can essentially kill everything he spawns and then stand in front of him and swing away since he'll jump over you. At worst, you might get hit by a grab attack but it's very rare. Jumping is basically pointless as you're gonna take damage you wouldn't take if you were on the ground. Don't do this fight without the Coiled Nail and Quick slash. You'll cause yourself pain you don't need to bother with.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 05:10 am »

Broken Vessel
The Broken Shell of an Empty God

Mark of Pride
Defenders Crest
Quick Focus
+ 6 Masks
+ Shade Soul (optional)

Mark of pride is basically standard at this point. The extra reach is vital to this fight, as with most. Defenders Crest plays a specific role in this fight, since it kills the Infected Balloons instantly. Without it, any attempts to heal will usually be interrupted by these annoying splodes and it makes managing the fight a lot harder. I'd argue that defenders crest is a requirement for this fight. While this fight isn't the fastest in the game, I highly recommend using Quick focus. Regular healing takes too long and this fight doesn't provide you with enough time or safe spots to heal. Quick focus cuts that time down enough and makes it a lot safer. Channelled Nail does enough damage but, obviously, any higher Nails will do perfectly. Shade Soul is good to have but not required for the fight. Like a lot of boss fights in the game, I would highly recommend staying on the ground as much as you can against the Vessel. Jumping to avoid it's ground slash attack is ideal, during which you can get damage off by Nail jumping onto his head. Most of the attacks are fairly easy to avoid, especially once you learn them. The hardest would be when he spams projectiles that curve under the floor then rise up. The best way I've found to deal with this attack is hug the corner you're closest too and hit him with Vengeful Spirit whenever you get the chance. It should push him away slightly.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11 am »

Traitor Lord
The Treacherous God of Anger

Mark of pride
Quick Focus
Sharp Shadow
Defenders Crest
+ Pure Nail
+ 7 masks or more
+ Shade Soul, Descending Dark
++ Completion of Cloths Quests
+++ Dreamgate (900 essence upgrade)

I'm gonna start here with Dreamgate. The process of getting to the Lord involves a lot of tough platforming, if you set a dreamgate just before the entrance to the fight, you can bypass all that platforming. It just makes this fight a lot easier to do if you keep dying. Mark of pride is very much needed in this fight. Contact damage deals 2 masks and the Lord is absolutely massive. Keeping distance when damaging him is required otherwise you'll die very quickly. There are very minimal chances to heal in this fight but you will need to heal at points, Quick focus helps alleviate that lack of safety to a certain extent. Sharp Shadow excels during this fight as you'll need to use the Shade Cloak to dodge certain attacks. Having sharp shadow gives you extra distance and extra damage while performing these dodges through the Lords attacks. Defenders crest piles on that extra damage whilst dodging, which is useful since you'll be doing a LOT of dodging. I wouldn't recommend anything below the Pure Nail, the fight is hard enough and dragging it on just won't end well. 7 masks means you can take just an extra amount of hits due to the odd number, however any more masks you can get are definitely useful. Shade Soul is there to provide extra damage while you're away from the Lord and Descending Dakrs brief invincibility frames give you a bit of breathing room whilst doing a lot of damage. Completion of Cloths quests is also recommended for extra damage. If you don't know what they are, here's a link to the wiki explaining where they all are: http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Cloth This fight is tough. A massive boss that deals 2 masks of damage on contact in a tight arena is punishing. Utilising sharp shadow is highly recommended since it's the easiest way to dodge all his attacks. Nail bouncing on his head is a good way to get damage on him, however you need to be aware of his jumping attack since you will take damage when he initiates it. You need to play this fight safe, taking damage when you can and on dodges. Shade Souling is a relatively safe way to damage him, however, sharp shadow is the safest and most reliable way to do it. Healing is tough in this fight, the best time to do it is when he's at the other end of the arena to you, quick focus is needed if this is your intention as regular healing will take too long. It's hard to explain this fight without a video aid, so I recommend you keep going at the fight until you learn when to dodge and when it's safe to attack. This fight relies heavily on instinct.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11 am »

Uumuu
The Uncanny God of Knowledge

Shaman Stone
Quick Slash
Fury of the Fallen
Dashmaster
+ Pure Nail
+ Monarch Wings
+ Abyss Shriek
++ Dreamgate (900 essence upgrade)

I went for a more experimental set for this fight and one of the few that doesn't need Mark of Pride. Place a dreamgate down just before the fight, it's a decently long trek from the nearest bench to the fight. Shaman Stone is there to maximise damage output from Abyss Shriek, which does an absolute metric tonne. Quick slash allows for maximum damage output while Uumuu is vulnerable, not having extra reach means you will be a lot closer while nail bouncing. Otherwise, the extra reach will massively slow you down. Fury of the Fallen is there as a fail safe. Pure Nail damage boosted by fury of the fallen melts Uumuu and, if you're down to 2 masks, you can force it to activate by taking contact damage and getting yourself down to 1 mask. However, only do this if you have enough soul to heal back some masks. Dashmaster and the monarch wings are there for movement. Running away from its electric trail attack is much easier with extra dashing, downwards dashing and monarch wings. Pure nail is for maximum damage output. Abyss Shriek is useful if Uumuu becomes vulnerable when above you. You can jump and use Abyss Shriek to get maximum damage instead of jumping up to use your nail. Uumuu isn't a particularly hard fight. The mass electric attack is it's hardest attack to dodge as you can often find yourself caught a good distance away from a safe zone. The idea is to survive until Quirrel strikes it, you can then attack it. Depending on where you are in relation to Uumuu there's two methods of attack. If you're above it, nail bounce on its head. If you're below it, move to a position where Abyss Shriek will hit it and use that attack as many times are you can before it becomes invulnerable again. It's not too hard and doesn't have too much health, so you can experiment a lot with different builds and tactics.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 05:12 am »

Watcher Knights
The Sentinel Gods of the Spire

Mark of Pride / Quick Focus / Fragile Strength
Quick Slash
Sharp Shadow
Stalwart Shell
+ Pure Nail
+ Shade Soul
+ Descending Dark
+ 7 masks or more

Mark of pride isn't required but it has it's uses. It could be swapped for Quick focus to get extra healing in but that isn't required either. Fragile Strength is another viable option, however has much more risk. Quick slash is required for this strategy, I'll explain it later. Sharp Shadow helps massively for dodging through the Knight's attacks, specifically the ball attacks. Stalwart shell is also required for this strategy, which will be explained below. Shade Soul allows you to damage the Knights during their ball attacks from a distance. Descending Dark is good for getting damage off on two Knights if you get pinned between them. Pure nail is for maximum damage output and makes this fight a cake walk. Before going into this fight, break the roof in the alcove before the entrance, go inside and break the rope. This will kill one of the Knights permanently before you even go into the fight. The idea of this fight is to get as close to the Knights as possible and spam nail damage straight into them. When they swing their nail, either ignore it or Sharp shadow through them and keep going. If they use one of their ball attacks, use sharp shadow to dodge right through it and either heal or use Shade Soul to damage them. Once you've killed a Knight, either focus on the other one or focus on the one about to enter the arena. Having quick slash and the pure nail will melt through the Knights. If you get put between two knights, Descending Dark is a good way to avoid damage while dealing a lot of damage to both. Using sharp shadow to get out of that position is also viable. The best time to heal is when one of the Knights is down and another is about to take its place. Though healing isn't the most important thing in this fight.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 05:12 am »

God Tamer
The Gallant God of the Arena

Mark of Pride
Unbreakable Strength
Stalwart Shell
Grimmchild (3rd stage or above)
Defenders Crest / Thorns of Agony
+ Pure Nail
+ 3 Soul Containers
+ 8 masks or above
+ Shade Soul

So, God Tamer is a bit different from every other boss fight in Hollow Knight. It is found at the end of the Trial of the Fool AKA one of the hardest challenges in the game. You need to go through 17 waves of enemies without any checkpoints in order to even reach the God Tamer. If you die there, you have to restart everything. This set had to be built to get me through the entire Trial while also being able to combat the God Tamer herself. Mark of Pride is extremely useful for getting you through the Trial. The extra reach is invaluable during aerial fights and is helpful when fighting large groups of enemies. I'd argue, for my strategy anyway, it is less useful against the God Tamer and could technically be swapped for Quick Slash, but since you need to beat the Trial before her fight, I'd still recommend Mark of Pride. Unbreakable Strength is invaluable for both the Trial and the fight. The extra 50% boost in Nail strength makes clearing the Trial a lot faster and easier and helps cut down the Tamer fast. Stalwart Shell, again, is invaluable for both the Trial and the fight. The extra breathing room can save you a tonne of health throughout the Trial and lets you face tank the God Tamer. Grimmchild (3rd stage) is more for the Trial itself. The extra damage it deals will either kill enemies on its own or will weaken them down quite a bit. I used 3rd stage Grimmchild since I hadn't beaten NKG at that point, but 4th stage is obviously better than 3rd. Since I only had 1 charm notch left, I went with Defenders Crest. Passive damage is always good and, in situations where I had a lot of enemies directly next to me, it stacked damage really well. Another good option is Thorns of Agony as it will often get the kill on low health enemies. Pure nail is there for maximum damage output. Having 3 soul containers is helpful for healing and spell casting, having that extra soul goes a long way. 8 masks or above are just ideal for surviving. The only spell I ever found myself using was Shade Soul, which is why I'd recommend having that upgraded. It's good for damaging enemies in mass and can hit the God Tamer during attacks where her mount is invincible. So, the God Tamer is split in two separate entities: Rider and mount. Here's my first key piece of advice: focus on the mount. If her mount dies first, the fight ends. And the mount has significantly less health than she does. I found myself employing a very similar tactic to that of the Watcher Knights, hugging her mount and pouring damage into it. The mount has one attack that might cause problems and that is it's rolling attack. During this attack, the mount is invincible to any melee damage. You can damage it with Shade Soul, so just spam it until you either can't or dodge the attack until it stops. Go straight back to pouring damage in. The rider herself shouldn't be a massive issue, I went through the whole fight basically ignoring her. Just keep focusing on the mount and you should be okay.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 05:13 am »

Grimm
The Travelling God of the Troupe

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Stalwart Shell
Grimmchild
+ Pure Nail
+ 7 masks or above
+ Shade Soul
+ Abyss Shriek
+ Descending Dive
+ Monarch Wings
+ Shade Cloak

Mark of pride is standard. It's there for the normal reasons. Quick slash is required to get any decent amount of nail damage off in the short period Grimm is open for attack. Stalwart Shell gives you extra breathing room which is vital in this fight. Grimmchild is essentially a waste of 2 notches, however it is required to even initiate this fight. Pure nail is there for maximum damage output while having 7 masks or more just help you survive longer. Having all your spells maxed out will present you with more chances to deal large amounts of damage. Monarch wings are very useful for movement and dodging certain attacks that would be much harder to dodge otherwise. Shade Cloak is needed to make dodging much easier. This fight, I'd argue, is one of the fastest in the game. When you first go into it, it can be very overwhelming and may seem impossible. However, after going at Grimm multiple times, you will start to see openings in his attacks. First tip, DO NOT ATTACK HIM WHILE HE IS BOWING! HE'LL GET PISSED AND YOU'LL START THE FIGHT WITH A VERY HARD ATTACK TO DODGE! DON'T DO IT, AIN'T WORTH IT! When Grimm teleports and then fires three red bat-like projectiles towards you, jump above them and dash towards him and either use Descending Dive or attack with your Nail. Mark of pride should give you enough reach to hit him. He has two dash attacks of his own, both of those present chances to nail jump on him. When he dashes down from the roof, jump and then nail jump on him as he dashes under you. When he dashes from the floor, jump instantly and nail jump. You must then instantly dash in the opposite direction or use Desolating Dive in order to avoid the dash up and subsequent fire that falls from the roof. When he goes into the centre of the room and inflates, move towards one of the corners in the room and do your best to dodge the barrage fireballs. There's no guaranteed way to dodge, you just need to react. If you can get close to Grimm before he finishes the attack, use Abyss Shriek if you have the soul to spare. He has one attack where you can take time to heal. Grimm will teleport, appear and then shove tendrils into the ground. Larger tendrils will then shoot up out the ground and damage you on contact. If you are between two of them, take time to heal one mask of damage then get right back into the fight. The only way you're gonna manage this fight is if you keep trying, learn his moveset and learn when to react. Grimm is tough but damn fun.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 05:13 am »

Nightmare King Grimm
The God of Nightmares

Grimmchild (Required)
Joni's Blessing
Lifeblood Core
Lifeblood Heart
+ 9 masks

Okay, there's two "phases" I would suggest you go through to beat NKG. He's one of the hardest bosses in the game and will take a lot of practice to beat. This build is not intended to be used to beat NKG. The idea behind this build is to maximise your health, then go into the fight and learn his movements. Learn how to dodge, learn where his openings are. Keep doing this until you are confident in your ability to dodge most of his attacks. Before I did this, I didn't even last 20 seconds. Just keep learning his attacks, keep learning how to dodge. Once you can dodge most of his attacks, you can move on to actually trying to beat him with the next set.

Grimmchild (Required)
Mark of pride
Lifeblood Core
Fragile Heart / Unbreakable Heart
Thorns of Agony / Defenders Crest / Sprintmaster / Steady Body
+ Pure Nail
+ 9 Masks
+ Shade Soul
+ Abyss Shriek
+ Shade Cloak
+ Monarch Wings

Grimmchild is required to even start this fight. Sadly, it is essentially a wasted 2 notches but there's nothing you can do about it. Mark of pride really really does help in this fight, as you'll often find yourself struggling to reach NKG to get a hit in. It also helps you get hits in during certain attacks. Lifeblood Core and Unbreakable Heart both serve the same purpose. You want to be able to go into the fight with as much health as you can. Some people go in with alternate sets utilising Joni's Blessing and overcharming themselves, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you are an absolute god with balls of steel. Thorns of Agony is more of a personal choice, but I found it worked for me. The extra damage dealt when NKG hits you does eventually stack up and also means taking damage isn't as terrible as it usually would be. Defenders Crest provides some more passive tick damage and does mean you can focus slightly more on dodging. However, the damage is minimal and doesn't help too much. Sprintmaster helps with dodging certain attacks, but doesn't have much utility outside of that. Steady body does mean you can get slightly more hits in, however I found myself taking damage at points where I wouldn't normally. All of those charms are interchangeable and really just boils down to your personal preference. Pure nail is for maximum damage output on the limited hits you can get in. 9 masks helps you live for longer and means you can afford to take one or two hits and still be in a good position. There are openings in the fight where you can take advantage of Shade Soul and Abyss Shriek, however they aren't common and I wouldn't worry too much about using them. Having the shade cloak really helps in dodging certain attacks, in some cases it'd be exceptionally difficult to completely dodge an attack without the cloak. The monarch wings also help significantly with dodging. OKAY. NKG is splodeing difficult. He is faster than Grimm, he does 2 masks of damage with everything, some of his attacks have been modified to be harder to dodge. NKG is Grimm on steroids. The only way to effectively beat NKG is to use the max health build to learn his attacks and then wait for openings OR have the reactions of a divine entity and go in blind and dodge every attack perfectly first try. Always prioritise dodging his attacks. If you can't get an attack in, don't try to. The best way I found of damaging him was to go in, get a maximum of 3 hits on certain attacks and then yeet the splode away. You need to just keep going and going, you'll build up some very good muscle memory and the fight will seem a lot less chaotic and overwhelming than it first did. I can't really tell you how to dodge or any super amazing strategies because it is a fight that heavily relies on your reactions.

Just for a visual reference, I suggest you watch this video of a speedrunner doing a hitless (don't get hit) run of the NKG fight. He's running a completely different build, pre-nerf for quick slash and flukenest. But, focus on how he dodges certain attacks. Look at his movements and then go in with max health and try to use his movements when dodging NKG. It massively helped me and I would highly recommend it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWQ9KjwPyE You won't be able to replicate all of the movements, but I used some of them as a base for how I was going to go about dodging and hitting. Clearly this man has ascended beyond humanity.

NKG is a stupidly good boss, his theme is amazing, his design is fantastic and he is exceptionally fun to fight.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14 am »

Hollow Knight
I'm listing two builds here, one of Hollow Knight alone and one that is built for the [SPOILERS true final boss of the game, since you have to fight the Hollow Knight itself to get to the boss.

Mark of pride
Quick slash
Unbreakable Strength / Stalwart Shell + Thorns of Agony
Sharp Shadow / Grimmchild (Stage 3 or 4)
+ Pure Nail
+ 8 masks or above

This build is just for Hollow Knight. Sadly, the actual fight isn't that hard. Mark of pride gives you extra reach to avoid contact damage. Quick slash lets you just stand there and melt him. Unbreakable Strength really speeds this fight up. You can't use fragile strength since it's not a dream fight and will break if you die. Unbreakable Strength can be substituted for a less efficient combo of Stalwart Shell and Thorns of Agony that allows you some extra invincibility and damage when you get hit. However, the sheer damage output of Quick Slash + Unbreakable Strength is just too good to give up. Sharp shadow provides damage when used to dodge, however you could substitute this for Grimmchild which provides you with some extra damage. Pure nail maximises your damage output and 8 masks means you can take a good amount of hits. All you need to do with this set is just face tank him. Get up in his face and just spam your nail, occasionally dodging his melee attacks. Due to the sheer damage output of this build and the fact that he doesn't move too much, you can end this fight in under a minute. There's not much too it.

Unbreakable Strength
Dream Wielder / Defenders Crest
Dreamshield
Lifeblood Core
Thorns of Agony
+ 8 masks or above
+ Pure Nail
+ Shade Cloak
+ Monarch Wings
++ Void Heart

This build is specifically for the true final boss, it is included here because you need to fight the Hollow Knight in order to actually get to the fight. I'm not going to explain the build here, but all you need to do in the Hollow Knight portion is survive. You can face tank him, as Unbreakable Strength makes him significantly easier to kill. Hug the Knight and swing your nail like crazy, dodging just enough hits to actually not die. Just make sure you survive through the fight.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:37 am by thepatient »

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14 am »

The Radiance
Unbreakable Strength
Dream Wielder / Defenders Crest
Dreamshield
Lifeblood Core
Thorns of Agony
+ 8 masks or above
+ Pure Nail
+ Shade Cloak
+ Monarch Wings
+ Abyss Shriek
++ Void Heart

Here we are. The final boss of the game. The true ending. Unbreakable Strength is HIGHLY recommended in this fight. Don't use Fragile Strength as the Radiance does not count as a dream boss and it will break upon death. Dream Wielder is used in conjunction with Dream Shield as the shield will regenerate faster and rotate around the Knight faster, thus making it more effective. Wielder can be swapped for Defenders Crest for extra tick damage, however it's really down to personal preference. I found that the extra regeneration time really helped me during the fight. Lifeblood Core is used due to healing not really being the easiest thing to do in this fight. You'd much rather go in with more health and focus on damaging the Radiance and just outright try to avoid damage. There are builds that do make healing significantly easier, however I won't be discussing those here. Thorns of Agony was a surprisingly good choice for this fight actually. If you take damage while close to the Radiance, Thorns give you a nice chunk of extra damage that actually stacked up a fair bit. Pure nail is recommended for maximum output. Having 8/9 masks makes this fight a lot easier to survive, especially when you don't know the Radiances attacks as it does 2 masks of damage per hit. It is impossible to win this fight without the shade cloak, as there is an attack that can only be dodged by using the cloak. Monarch wings are useful for the second portion of the fight, I'm not going to explain the fight as I want to avoid spoiling it. Abyss Shriek is useful if you find openings to get it off, as the Radiance doesn't move a lot and will take all 4 ticks of damage. Void Heart is required to even access the fight, but luckily it does not take up any charm notches. This fight can feel very overwhelming at first. It's very different from a lot of fights as the Radiance does not directly damage you but manipulates the stage and uses projectiles to do so. Dreamshield does block some of those projectiles and makes it feel less chaotic. You need to take time, maybe do the fight multiple times, to learn how to dodge each attack. Once you learn that it becomes much more manageable. It's a really fun fight that I don't want to ruin for you, so I suggest just going straight into it, learn the attacks and then cut down that Goddess. You'll enjoy it, trust me.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14 am »

Dreamer Boss: Failed Champion
The Baleful God of Regrets

NOTE: There are two strategies I'm gonna be posting here. The first one is a way to easily cheese the boss and the second is one where you actually have to do something.

Weaversong
Glowing Womb / Grimmchild
Dreamshield
Dream Wielder
Stalwart Shell
+ 7 masks or above
+ Crystal Heart
+ Monarch Wings

Okay so this build is built specifically the cheese this boss. Weaversong spawns 3 weavers that deal damage to any enemy they hit. Glowing womb spawns hatchlings that deal explosive damage to any enemy they hit, however it uses up soul pretty quickly. Grimmchild is a familiar that can replace Glowing womb, however it requires some work to get to any decent damage. Dreamshield is used on this set to help block any falling rocks. Dream Wielder is there for when the champion stops attacking and exposes his head. It's a very efficient soul harvesting charm due to its low cost and, being able to harvest extra soul means you can have more hatchlings spawn. Stalwart shell is there to give you extra escape time if you get it. Crystal heart is required to cheese the champion, having more masks mean you survive longer and monarch wings make movement a lot easier. So, the idea of this set is to go to the very top corner of the map and ready your crystal heart jump, but don't fire it. Just sit there holding down the charge button. The Weavers will constantly spawn and attack the champion, along with hatchlings or the Grimmchild, depending on which one you're running. The hatchlings will only spawn if you have soul however, the grimmchild will constantly attack. In that position, the champion cannot hit you and rocks are more than likely going to miss. Any rocks that get close should be blocked by dreamshield. If you do get hit, don't worry and just get back into position. Once the champion falls over and exposes his head, you're free to go down and get some swings in, but once he's up you must get back in position. Yes, this is technically cheesing the boss but it does work if you're having a hard time fighting him. It does take a long time however, so be patient.

Mark of Pride
Sharp Shadow
Fragile Strength
Baldur Shell / Stalwart Shell / Weaversong / Grimmchild / Fury of the Fallen
+ Pure nail
+ 7 masks or above
+ Crystal Heart
+ Monarch wings

This fight is significantly harder if you don't intend on cheesing it. Mark of pride allows you to keep your distance and prevent contact damage, which will deal 2 masks per hit. Sharp Shadow is mostly for dodging, it gives you extra distance while also dealing damage if it hits. Since this is a dream fight, fragile strength can be used without risk of breaking. The last charm is very much customisable. Since I was left with 2 notch spaces, I'm going to list these charms under the assumption you also have 2 left. If you have 3, quick slash is the perfect option. Baldur shell is an option to get at least one mask recovered before being hit. Stalwart shell gives you extra breathing room during this fast fight. Weaversong or Grimmchild give you extra damage without having to do anything. Fury of the Fallen gives you a massive last-ditch effort attack boost with minimal risk due to it being a dreamer fight. Compared to the False Champion, Failed Champion is a huge step up. The fight is much faster, rocks constantly fall from the roof, the champion has a few extra attacks and now deals 2 masks of damage per hit. The basic tactics remain the same however you need to react much faster to his movements. Stay close to the champion, attacking with your nail. When he telegraphs his attack, either dash under/through him or run away from him then come back for more damage. When he starts slamming either side of him, sit comfortable at the top of the arena using crystal heart to hold yourself there, however drop straight down when he's done as he might jump and hit you as you dash off. Once you know what his attacks are, they get significantly easier to dodge, however it's still a challenging fights. Keep your wits about you.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 05:15 am »

Dreamer Boss: Lost Kin
The Lost God of the Abyss

Mark of Pride
Defenders Crest
Quick Focus
Fragile Strength
Dream Wielder
+ Pure nail
+ Lot of Masks

Everyone always says this fight is easy but I always seem to have a harder time with it. Mark of pride is obvious, extra reach. Since this fight is pretty quick, quick focus gives you a good chance to heal during certain attacks and when he 'breaks' and stops attacking for a few seconds. Defenders crest kills those annoying ass balloons instantly so you don't need to worry about them. Since its a dreamer fight, fragile charms won't break so fragile strength can be used. Dream Wielder is obvious, extra soul. The idea for this fight is to stay on the ground as much as possible and get close to the Kin whenever you can, melting its face with pure nail boosted by fragile strength and with defenders crest damage stacked on top of it. Opening the fight by Crystal Hearting your way in and pinning the Kin against the wall which will give you extra damage from defenders crest even though you sacrifice one mask of damage.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 05:15 am »

Dreamer Boss: Soul Tyrant
The Frenzied God of Mortality

Mark of Pride
Fragile Strength / Unbreakable Strength
Stalwart Shell
Dreamshield
+ Pure nail
+ 8 masks or above
+ Monarch wings
+ Abyss Shriek
+ Shade Soul

Mark of pride's extra reach allows you to hit the Tyrant without taking contact damage. Contact damage is an issue due to how big he actually is. Fragile/Unbreakable Strength is there to speed the fight up. Since it's a dream fight, fragile strength won't break upon death. Stalwart shell's extra breathing room means you can either get out of tough situations or risk taking a hit in exchange for being able to get more damage into him. Dreamshield blocks his projectiles and helps you focus more on damaging the Tyrant instead of dodging his projectiles. Pure nail just helps this fight go faster. 8 masks or above just helps you last longer. Monarch wings are very useful for dodging his attacks and getting enough air to damage him in certain situations. Abyss Shriek and Shade Soul are there for extra chances to damage him. I didn't find myself using them too often, but the chances are there. Like most dream fights, this fight is essentially just a faster version with modifications to certain attacks. The extra speed will require practice to get back into the rhythm of the fight. When he enters his 2nd phase, dodge all of his dives and get in single hits whenever you can mid dive. Don't bother dodging the projectiles, unless you have a single mask, and just slice him up until he dies. It's the same fight, just faster.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 05:15 am »

Dreamer Boss: White Defender
The Kindly God of Bravery and Honour

Mark of Pride
Sharp Shadow
Quick Slash
Quick Focus
+ Pure Nail
+ 3 Soul upgrades
+ As many Masks as possible

Mark of pride massively helps for this fight, it gives you some breathing room because this guy is quick as splode. Sharp Shadow isn't really there for damage but for the extra dash distance. Damaging the Defender with sharp shadow isn't really doable since he's fat as splode and constantly moving, you're more than likely gonna take damage mid dash. Once again, its a fast fight so Quick focus is needed to get any healing in. Quick slash is there for melting face when hes mid-way through an attack that you can stand next to him without taking damage. A good strat is to hug the corner, avoiding his leaping attack. When he gets close and starts lobbing splode, melt him just by spamming damage into him in the corner. If he's not close to the corner, take that lobbing attack and melt him as much as you can during it. It's a very reaction based fight, you gotta be quick but you can't panic heal either. Don't be afraid to risk a mask of two of damage trying to get hits in.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 05:16 am »

Dreamer Boss: Grey Prince Zote
The False God Conjured by the Lonely

Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Stalwart Shell
+ Pure nail
+ 8 masks or above
+ Shade Cloak

So, this fight can be done multiple times after beating him, a max of 10. This strategy works, as far as I've tried, up to about 4 attempts. I haven't tried further than that. He gets progressively stronger the further you go, so I may update this section with further strategies in the future.

Mark of Pride is standard, it doesn't really need much explanation here. Quick slash really does make this fight a cake walk. The extra speed really simplifies this fight. Since it's a dreamer fight, fragile strength can be used without risk of breaking, while unbreakable strength doesn't break anyway. Either works. Stalwart shell is important for the strategy, which will be explained below. Pure nail is for maximum damage output and 8 masks just lets your tank more damage. Shade Cloak means you can dodge through certain attacks without risk of damage and be in a prime spot to just melt his face. A lot of people say that this is one of the hardest fights in the game and I can sort of see why. However, the above build makes him very easy to face tank and just melt. You can just hug Zote and swing until he dies, only occasionally dodging his slam attacks and the subsequent shock waves that follow. Take chances to heal 2 masks when he falls over but then be ready to dodge a large homing slam attack. If you just keep going on the ultra offensive, he'll die pretty quickly. When he runs around swinging his nail, just get on his head and nail jump until he stops.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 05:16 am »
Charms

Charms in Hollow Knight are essentially upgrades. Each charm has its own effect on a certain aspect of the Knight. Some affect the range of you Nail, some affect how fast you heal, some provide defensive abilities. Each charm takes up a certain number of notches, the maximum being five. Notches can be found throughout the Hallownest and you can find a total number of eight and you start with three. You can "overcharm", where you equip more charms than your notch amount will allow. If you keep trying to add the charm, after five attempts, it will equip. However, your health will have a purple aura. In this state, you take double damage. If something does one mask of damage, you'll now take two. If something does two, you'll take four.

There are a total of 45 charms in the game, however you can only hold 40. Five charms can be replaced as you play the game and they will be identified below.

I have categorised each charm into one of the below categories, however they are not categorised in the game.

Offline thepatient

• The Vessel
  • Soldier
  • Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 05:17 am »
Combat

Grubberfly's Elegy
Contains the gratitude of grubs who will move to the next stage of their lives. Imbues weapons with a holy strength.
Effect: Nail swings fire a projectile, that does 0.5x your current nail damage, when at full health.
Charm Interactions:
- Fragile / Unbreakable Strength - Projectiles do 75% of nail damage.
- Fury of the Fallen - Only fires projectiles at 1 mask left, projectiles do 87.5% of nail damage.
- Grubsong - Increases Soul received for taking damage by 25%
- LifeBlood Heart - The Elegy only counts white masks as health, so losing lifeblood health will not stop the projectiles.
- Lifeblood Core - The Elegy only counts white masks as health, so losing lifeblood health will not stop the projectiles.
Analysis:

Strengthens the bearer, increasing the damage they deal to enemies with their nail.
Location: Purchased from Leg Eater in Fungal Wastes for 600 Geo. Wearing the Defender's Crest will cause the Leg Eater to lower the cost to 480 Geo. When broken, Leg Eater can repair it for 350 Geo, or, while wearing the Defender's Crest, for 280 Geo. / / / Once you have summoned the Grimm Troupe, go to Divine while wearing the Fragile Strength. She will eat it and eventually ask for 15,000 Geo. Once you give it to her, she will give you Unbreakable Strength. 
Effect: Increases Nail damage by 50%. Fragile Strength will beak upon death.
Charm Interactions:
- Fury of the Fallen - Damage stacks, provides a 162.5% damage boost at 1 mask when both are equipped.
Analysis: -

Heavy Blow
Formed from the nails of fallen warriors.
Location: Bought from the shopkeeper in Dirtmouth after giving him the shopkeepers key. Costs 350 Geo.
Effect: Increases knockback when damaging enemies with the nail.
Charm Interactions: N/A

Quick Slash
Born from imperfect, discarded nails that have fused together. The nails still long to be wielded.
Location: Found on an altar in a hidden room, located in Kingdoms Edge.
Effect: Decreases attack cooldown by 64%
Charm Interactions: N/A

Longnail
Increases the range of the bearer's nail, allowing them to strike foes from further away.
Effect: Increases nail range by 15%
Charm Interactions:
- Mark of Pride - Having both equipped increases range by 40%

Mark of Pride
Freely given by the Mantis Tribe to those they respect.
Location: Located in a chest in the bench room of Mantis Village. Can be accessed after beating the Mantis Lords.
Effect: Increases nail range by 25%.
Charm Interactions:
- Longnail - Having both equipped increases range by 40%

Fury of the Fallen
Embodies the fury and heroism that comes upon those who are about to die.
Location: Located in Kings Pass behind a tunnel filled with spikes. Can be accessed at the start of the game by Nail jumping on the spikes or later in the game with the Mantis claw, Crystal Heart or Mothwing cloak.
Effect: When at 1 mask, nail damage is increased by 75%
Charm Interactions:
- Glowing Womb - Increases the damage of hatchlings at 1 mask
- Fragile / Unbreakable Strength - Damage stacks, provides a 162.5% damage boost at 1 mask when both are equipped.
- Grubberfly's Elergy - When at 1 mask, projectiles will be fired from the nail, projectiles do 87.5% of nail damage.

Sharp Shadow
Contains a forbidden spell that transforms shadows into deadly weapons.
Location: Deepnest, south east of the Hotspring room. Requires the Shade Cloak to access.
Effect: When using shade cloak, increases dash-distance by 39% and damages enemies when dashing through them. Does 1x nail damage.
Charm Interactions:
- Dashmaster - Damage done to enemies is increased to 1.5x nail damage.

Nailmasters Glory
Contains the passion, skill and regrets of a Nailmaster.
Location: Given by the shopkeeper in Dirtmouth after acquiring all 3 nail arts.
Effect: Nail arts charge twice as fast.
Charm Interactions:
- Fury of the Fallen - Increases strength of nail arts by 75% when at 1 mask.