Author Topic: Can I Just Say Something?  (Read 203 times)

Offline bigfootbasher

• Heavy Cruiser
  • -Brandon Christian
    • View Profile
    • Paradise Forums
Can I Just Say Something?
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:33 pm »
Don't review old games for your applications, the games are totally different to those of todays and therefore your opinion will be more bias to the fact the present is where it's at. Review something new in the past year or so.

Just my 1 pence..

Offline Gamekid

• The Prankster
  • Mortar
  • Gamekid2011 here. ;D
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Just Say Something?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:04 pm »
So you're saying not to review games like Crafty Castle? Still a sensation.
MS Badges Held:

Main Site Moderator - Passed the test on: 29th April 2013
                                Badge given on: 1st May 2013

Editor - N/A

Reviewer - N/A

Offline Socialize

• Cruiser
  • MS: Socializ3 I'm friendly and nice! talk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08 pm »
Why does it make a difference? Old games have a huge impact of what games are what it is today. You'd don't have to read or write reviews of old games. Ya people might make statement of the game nice or mean. Still many old games are still good today. I love the Super Mario sunshine and it's old. Still love it even if it's created in 2004.

~Visit my MSM~
~Add as friend~

award List:

thank list:

Offline bigfootbasher

• Heavy Cruiser
  • -Brandon Christian
    • View Profile
    • Paradise Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:50 pm »
Why does it make a difference? Old games have a huge impact of what games are what it is today. You'd don't have to read or write reviews of old games. Ya people might make statement of the game nice or mean. Still many old games are still good today. I love the Super Mario sunshine and it's old. Still love it even if it's created in 2004.
has Super Mario Sunshine been updated recently? No. What I am saying is that back in 2008 and 2009 the quality of games were high (for their time) and expectations were lower. If you were to make a game like one of CheckThePan's games, now, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get featured with 100s of views. A lot of current reviewers, review games like they were made yesterday, they weren't. They expect the game to be better than what it is (yes I understand there are some exceptions but I'll get to them soon), and therefore their view is that the game is poor. Yes, it is poor, or would be, if it was made yesterday. But, for the time it was created in, it was beautiful.
Ya, you could say, "What about *insertgamehere*? It's one of the best ever made!" I don't care, chances are that this game has already been reviewed, a lot of times. Most people could name a certain number of games from 2008/9 and say they are one of the best, but as I said, the chances are they have been thoroughly reviewed by more than one well-known (or others who aren't) and therefore you should do something original.
When I became a reviewer, couple years back, most reviews were original, for example I reviewed one of Ogglle's (can't spell :P) games, which I had made sure hadn't been reviewed. I was praised for originality and so were many others.
My advice (if you want to be accepted as a reviewer):
a. Be original.
b. Don't just write out what you did, explain what is good about it and how it impacts the player.
c. Explain why you chose a certain score, don't just say, "Action: 7/10"
d. Only review a game you've completed (or played until very close to the end and watched a play/walkthrough).
e. Grip the reader with good vocabulary, use a thesaurus (thesaurus.com) and make sure you use peculiar but strong words.
f. Make sure you check your spelling and grammar. I personally, write the review in OpenOffice Docs and make sure English grammar & spelling check is on.
g. Make your review clear, make it legible.
h. Make it look aesthetically pleasing, with a bold title and strong subtitles.. presentation is key.
i. Don't review a game someone told you to, make sure you enjoyed it.

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
  • LOVE, LIFE, LOYALTY, AND LIVE LONG LIKE LEGENDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:58 pm »
what about my throwback thursday reviews lol :(

Offline bigfootbasher

• Heavy Cruiser
  • -Brandon Christian
    • View Profile
    • Paradise Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12 pm »
what about my throwback thursday reviews lol :(
They aren't applications..?

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
  • LOVE, LIFE, LOYALTY, AND LIVE LONG LIKE LEGENDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:14 pm »
They aren't applications..?

k lol misunderstanding

Offline bigfootbasher

• Heavy Cruiser
  • -Brandon Christian
    • View Profile
    • Paradise Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15 pm »

Offline FadingEmber

• Disruptor
  • Throwback 😊
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:07 pm »
has Super Mario Sunshine been updated recently? No. What I am saying is that back in 2008 and 2009 the quality of games were high (for their time) and expectations were lower. If you were to make a game like one of CheckThePan's games, now, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get featured with 100s of views. A lot of current reviewers, review games like they were made yesterday, they weren't. They expect the game to be better than what it is (yes I understand there are some exceptions but I'll get to them soon), and therefore their view is that the game is poor. Yes, it is poor, or would be, if it was made yesterday. But, for the time it was created in, it was beautiful.
Ya, you could say, "What about *insertgamehere*? It's one of the best ever made!" I don't care, chances are that this game has already been reviewed, a lot of times. Most people could name a certain number of games from 2008/9 and say they are one of the best, but as I said, the chances are they have been thoroughly reviewed by more than one well-known (or others who aren't) and therefore you should do something original.
When I became a reviewer, couple years back, most reviews were original, for example I reviewed one of Ogglle's (can't spell :P) games, which I had made sure hadn't been reviewed. I was praised for originality and so were many others.
My advice (if you want to be accepted as a reviewer):
a. Be original.
b. Don't just write out what you did, explain what is good about it and how it impacts the player.
c. Explain why you chose a certain score, don't just say, "Action: 7/10"
d. Only review a game you've completed (or played until very close to the end and watched a play/walkthrough).
e. Grip the reader with good vocabulary, use a thesaurus (thesaurus.com) and make sure you use peculiar but strong words.
f. Make sure you check your spelling and grammar. I personally, write the review in OpenOffice Docs and make sure English grammar & spelling check is on.
g. Make your review clear, make it legible.
h. Make it look aesthetically pleasing, with a bold title and strong subtitles.. presentation is key.
i. Don't review a game someone told you to, make sure you enjoyed it.
tl;dr