Author Topic: [Application]  (Read 888 times)

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
  • RIP Sploder :’(
    • View Profile
    • United: The Hype
[Application]
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:47 pm »
The One
Review by jmc10 on Sunday, June 16th 2013

The One is a game created by obeliskos

Game: The One
Creator: Obeliskos
Type: Classic Shooter

Prethoughts

*Grabs a cookie* Hello there and welcome back to another review typed by yours truly, the sexiness that is Jmc. Today I will be reviewing a very old game published in the spring of 2008, during the early days of our marvelous site. The first in a series of amazing games it is none other than the one created by the legend himself, Obeliskos.

Obeliskos was a well respected, very talented game maker of long ago whom helped to revolutionize the classic shooter creator and inspire many game makers to follow. Unfortunately however the legend left us many years ago and has long since been forgotten by the current generation of Sploder members. Right before he left he privated all of his games, the one series included, only leaving one game, The Original The One which has since been placed within the shelves of the library of excellence, the epic game library. With these thoughts running through my mind I was genuinely excited to play the one. *Glances at watch* Oh, look at the time, it's time to move onto the review.

Review

Like the cover of a book the thumbnail is the very first impression that somebody gets of a game, it is usually the deciding factor in whether a gamer will play a game or not (because obviously no one has ever heard the saying of don't judge a book by its cover). The thumbnail of the one is a very simple one, dull you could even say, just a green hallway with two walls on either side and three weak blocks in front of you. To some this thumbnail would be off putting and suggest a horrid game to come, however to me the lack of detail is mysterious and adds a sense of not knowing what to expect. Now that I think about it though, Obeliskos was completely against art so a simple thumbnail in a game of his would make perfect sense. Now enough of that, time to click the game and see how it is. Yay.

I clicked on the one and before beginning the game I quickly glanced down in search of a story, although it is not needed and does not usually affect the gameplay in any way, shape, or form personally a game with a story gets extra quality points in my book. So anyway with the one I was in luck, a rather large block of text explaining in great detail the start of the one series. So to summarize the fascinating story of the one, basically you play as a man by the name of Sean Cannecky whom willingly joins the USAAA, The United Social Assembly Across Asteroids and is sent upon a solo mission that he knows hardly anything about. A pretty decent story in my opinion, much better than most of the story lines you find in today's games. The story of the one then continues to unfold as you progress through the remainder of the exhilarating series.

Finally it is time to begin playing the game, the moment that you all have been anxiously awaiting. The objective of the one is to retrieve a single crystal, sounds easy enough however upon beginning the game I realize that it will be a lot more difficult than I originally anticipated, dang it, more work. The map is designed into one long hallway with a few smaller hallways branching out to the sides, unfortunately though the smaller hallways are blocked off by key doors (the keys thinly spread throughout the map) forcing the player to move in a linear path throughout the majority of the game making it extremely difficult to get lost inside the map. The map to be honest is very simple, too simple. The gameplay of the one consists mainly of the player traveling through several small rooms as they advance towards the objective. The small rooms contain either a small infantry of enemy ships, turrets, and other hazards that you must surpass or a puzzle created by obeliskos, all of which are executed pretty nicely.

Attacks on infantry filled rooms must be carefully and strategically planned, every bomb, missile, and bot savored and used wisely because carelessly gliding through the room you shall find yourself bombarded and drained of your health by the enemies within, which I found out first hand as I died several times and nearly ragequit, gah! The action sequences found inside the one were some of the best that I have ever played in a classic shooter, Obeliskos obviously spent a lot of time creating these epic sequences, placing the enemies and turrets in just the right places. Puzzles were also incorporated in the one but instead of them being placed at the start of the game like their cousin, the action sequences they were instead placed near the end of the game, in my opinion this was a good move on Obeliskos's part because it kind of taunts the player saying something like ha, you thought it was over when in fact the games have only just begun. The puzzles in the one were very unique for their time period, one of which was letting a chain of pushers move you into a room where you would later have to go back up the line of pushers using a crudely placed invisibility power, failing to finish up what you need to do in the room before going back up the pushers would always be a death trap. Very fun indeed, however I feel that the puzzles are just icing on the cake as the real quality lies in the action, explained above.

Placement is perhaps the most important aspect of any game, whether it's tile, enemy, health, or something else it's all an important factor in whether a game is considered 'good' or not, so how was the placement in the one? lets find out shall we. The overall placement was actually done really well, especially the health placement. Obeliskos only gave you what you desperately needed health and powerup wise no more and no less, however I do find this a downside as less experienced gamers will ultimately fail before ever reaching the end due to lack of health. On the other hand for experienced gamers like myself the just enough health adds a nice challenge to the game. The enemies and hazards were generally placed in great spots around the map however some could have been improved, for example at the first battle scene two launchers placed at the entrance of the room could have been moved a little further back because they would launch their deadly arsenal of missile projectiles long before you would even reach the room, meh other than this there's really not much more to say about this game. Welp, pretty sure I covered every aspect of the one, Uh lets go ahead and uh end this review and head onto scoring now. Yep. Yeah... Uh.

Pros:

- Great action sequences

- Unique Puzzles

- Great Placement

Cons:

-Too simple of a design

Scores:

Gameplay-7/10; I don't know about you but I loved the gameplay and couldn't stop playing despite the difficulty.

Storyline-8/10; Pretty good, better than most storylines of today.

Action Sequences-8/10; Some of the best, most fun action sequences I've ever played in a shooter, really made me think about my next move.

Puzzles-6.5/10; Unique revolutionary puzzles for its day.

Placement-7/10; Placement is pretty good although a few improvements could be made.

Overall- approximately 7.5/10; Not bad.

Conclusion:

The One is a great game with fun gameplay, nice action sequences, unique puzzles and just about every good quality that a shooter can hold, it is executed nicely and definitely deserved a feature for a game of its time. It also deserves its spot in the epic game library for its revolutionary qualities. Only con, way too simple, other than that great game. Good job Obeliskos a brilliant game you have created here. *Glances at watch again* Oh shoot, look at the time, I'm late for a golf game! er, I mean an appointment. *nibbles on cookie* Thanks for reading, this has been another Jmc10 review. Jmc out.

Promotions:
Private: 1/15/12
Soldier: 9/8/13
Lieutenant: 4/9/16
Soldier: 7/9/17

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
Re: [Application]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:48 pm »
O'crud I'm scared.
First app since like fall 2012

Promotions:

Offline lobert1922

• Guard
  • I am a Cat King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50 pm »
bumpppp

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:51 pm »
why are you bumping this, I just posted it?

Promotions:

Offline lobert1922

• Guard
  • I am a Cat King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54 pm »
Believe it or not. I wasn't looking I thought I clicked another thread. Lol

Offline lobert1922

• Guard
  • I am a Cat King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54 pm »
I'll just... Ya know... Walk outside...Pretending this never happened.

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55 pm »
Alrighty then.

Promotions:

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:19 pm »
Denied.  You talk far too much on things that don't need that much detail.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:22 pm »
Denied.  You talk far too much on things that don't need that much detail.
damnit. :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:29 pm by Jmc10 »

Promotions:

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:18 am »
It would have been the same, lol.  Would you rather I bring emp over here to write a novel on how you'll never be a reviewer?
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Rubber Ducky

• 2013 me really had a taste for usernames
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:40 am »
It would have been the same, lol.  Would you rather I bring emp over here to write a novel on how you'll never be a reviewer?
Lmao xD

Good luck next time, Jmc. =/

Offline Dudki

• Heavy Cruiser
  • DON'T READ THIS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:07 am »
I actually really liked that review. Oh well, good luck next time.
Features: 5
Latest Feature: Ending the Garradin (Arcade)
Latest Game: The Temple of Earth (Plat)
Game In Progress: Rebuild (Plat)

Offline TheBlueGuy21

• Launcher
  • I am error
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:09 pm »

At least give him some credit. He worked 20 hours non-stop while drinking a bunch of unhealthy coffee and such to keep his energy, battled with his mom for 20 minutes who was trying to put him to sleep, and nearly went up the sky in order to just write the entire review...

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10 pm »
He worked 20 hours non-stop while drinking a bunch of unhealthy coffee and such to keep his energy, battled with his mom for 20 minutes who was trying to put him to sleep, and nearly went up the sky in order to just write the entire review...
actually, the 2nd part is true.  :))
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:28 pm by Jmc10 »

Promotions:

Offline Hammer Bro

• Launcher
  • *Frp* Oh sorry, did you say something?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 04:23 pm »
I know I shouldn't disagree with recruiters, but I do right now.

JMC tried his best, great paragraphs, and of course, reviewed one of the best games of it's time, The One. This is reviewer material, but you clearly are blind from that. Either that or you love denying reviews even if they're great. Like this.

This should be accepted, and that's that.

Hammer Bro, out.
- mrhammer

If birds can fly,so can potatos.

50th Thank: Rox

100th Thank:

Offline Hyperlink

• Launcher
  • @^@ What is that I see?
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Forums
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39 pm »
And yet, derpy got accepted. //-_-
Goals for 2013-
Reviewer- NOT YET
Editor- NOT YET
MSM- NOT YET
Soldier- NOT YET
3 Features- NOT YET

Offline Hammer Bro

• Launcher
  • *Frp* Oh sorry, did you say something?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39 pm »
And yet, derpy got accepted. //-_-
This.
- mrhammer

If birds can fly,so can potatos.

50th Thank: Rox

100th Thank:

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42 pm »
I acknowledge his effort, and I applaud him for trying, but no matter how many grueling days of work, if a review is nt good enough, it doesn't get passed.  I hate being the bad guy, but it just doesn't pass. 

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 04:43 pm »
I apologize for my absence.  I will discuss the topic of bad reviewers with the LL

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:13 pm »
i'm good.

Promotions:

Offline Jmc10

• #KeepAmericaGreat2020
  • Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 05:16 pm »
I apologize for my absence.  I will discuss the topic of bad reviewers with the LL
you should also discuss the topic of bad recruiters whom are accepting not so good reviews. Not going to name names *CoughMyownCough*

Promotions:

Offline vpopsiclev

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 11:50 pm »
^^ I want him to do my reviews ^^
33 Silver
3 Gold
1 Cannon Template
1 Warrior Armor
1 Gold Reaper Lance
1 Gold Aurum Axe
1 God Stone [Used for story]
1 Escape Amulet

Offline vpopsiclev

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51 pm »
And has Spida ever accepted "1" review?
33 Silver
3 Gold
1 Cannon Template
1 Warrior Armor
1 Gold Reaper Lance
1 Gold Aurum Axe
1 God Stone [Used for story]
1 Escape Amulet

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 12:53 am »
Yes.  It was a good review.  I accept good reviews.

Offline Rubber Ducky

• 2013 me really had a taste for usernames
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16 am »
Yes.  It was a good review.  I accept good reviews.
Then why didn't you accept this one?

As a reviewer, honestly, I don't see what's wrong with this review. Maybe just a bit too detail, but yet it's always alright to add detail because it makes the review much better. But if it's that bad, he can always fix it with his second review.

But it's still your choice, since you're the recruiter.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21 pm »
Too muh detail can mar the review.  It tells too much, when then reader need to know just enough. 

Also, the review was too focused on aspects that weren't part of the game.  Being informative isn't bad, but we came here for a game review not the history of Obe.  There was a bit too much backstory to game review in the ratio department