Author Topic: Can we settle something?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
Can we settle something?
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:35 am »
I keep seeing the term "annoying" being used against people in voting. My school psychology teacher once taught me that people see in others what they dislike about themselves. So if you think they're annoying and shouldn't be a soldier, then in return aren't YOU annoying and shouldn't be a soldier? What I'm getting at is that should not be a factor in promotion, just because you dislike somebody, you should get over yourself and think fairly whether or not the person in fact could handle the barracks content AND contribute to voting on things that involve the forums. Be honest, that's really the only power soldiers have. The power of opinion. So we don't need to strike everyone down over pathetic terms such as this. Kkthxbai
Nani?

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
    • View Profile
Re: Can we settle something?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48 am »
Can we have a criteria instead?
In restaurants, pizza can be baked in an oven with stone bricks above the heat source, an electric deck oven, a conveyor belt oven or, in the case of more expensive restaurants, a wood- or coal-fired brick oven.

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:50 am »
I like that idea tbh
Nani?

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53 am »
Oh alright let's bring in members who are annoy us to the few categories where we don't have to listen to them... Bad idea lol.
#WCGP

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:59 am »
JJS, they may not annoy others, just you. Let's be honest, I'm annoying at times, you're annoying at times, Troyio, Budz, Mat, everybody. I could list every soldier and honestly say they are annoying at times. However I don't hold them on it. Hell, just give them a chance. You never know if somebody will make this place better unless you give them a chance. If worse comes to worse demote them, it's quite simple really.
Nani?

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45 am »
I disagree. It's a personal opinion. Finding someone annoying and voting no because of that isn't stupid. It's kind of like promoting kittysocks. He's annoying but intelligent so let's bring him into the barracks!

I don't think many people would like that
hi

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:53 am »
I disagree. It's a personal opinion. Finding someone annoying and voting no because of that isn't stupid. It's kind of like promoting kittysocks. He's annoying but intelligent so let's bring him into the barracks!

I'm not saying promote all the "annoying" users. Let's take kittsocks as an example again. I personally would say no because he is a bit hot headed and can't control himself. Many "annoying" users have things that probably would prevent them from being promoted. All I'm saying is annoyingness isn't a real reason to deny somebody, that's just a bias excuse.
Nani?

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:16 am »
Well, a much better idea is not saying "Lets promote him because he is cool and funny"

._.
In restaurants, pizza can be baked in an oven with stone bricks above the heat source, an electric deck oven, a conveyor belt oven or, in the case of more expensive restaurants, a wood- or coal-fired brick oven.

Offline Ripto

• Mortar
  • Say hello to your new king!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:25 am »
Well, a much better idea is not saying "Lets promote him because he is cool and funny"

._.
which is how it basicly goes atm. And me for some reason.

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:42 am »

._.
Well depends on your definition of cool, I agree with the funny part. Let's say by cool you could mean collected, then that would be an exception, but like cool as in rebel, then I'd agree with you.
Nani?

Offline 7grant2

• General
  • Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03 am »
Sounds like Shadross is annoyed.

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18 am »
You really can't make that kind of argument and expect support. I get where you are coming from, but I can just as easily say all criminals who murdered their family should walk free because they are just exhibiting behavior I don't like about myself.

And this all comes back to the fact that this is a gaming forum, and we promote the people we like because we like them and that is just a fact of life.

Offline Troyio

• I'm not black
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • <^>CoNtEgO bRoThErHoOd<^>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35 am »

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:00 am »
@Grant Not annoyed, more along the lines of... Disappointed perhaps?

@Swallow You're analogy really isn't accurate to this situation... There's a difference between stealing one's life and hoping that you'll get off clean and using annoyingness against somebody in voting

@Troyio Calm your tiits, I called everyone annoying including myself, I just posted random soldiers that came to mind.
Nani?

Offline myownself

• Centipede
  • My-Own-Self
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56 pm »
I just think that there should be more though into the times we vote.  To be honest, I find my self voting no or yes out of impulse, instead of actually thinking it through.  I really think that we should start giving reasons why we're voting the way we do.  That way we can all understand each other's opinions a little more.
Aspiring Filmmaker...

Offline Poke579

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • The Old one. I am pokemaster579.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29 pm »
Isn't the barracks just a social place, to hang out with people we like?!
Surely if we don't like someone because we find them annoying, we should vote no, no?
Imagine something witty.

No, not that witty, try again.

Offline theravicale

• Local semi-tech-literate person. And The Oracle.
  • Electropede
  • I'm a mod that actually does something :3
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 02:35 pm »

Can we have a criteria instead?

I made one a while back but y'all never followed it. Either way I am working on something in the LL that will fix this.

Kittysocks? Intelligent? HA!

._.
This pisses me off to no end.

You really can't make that kind of argument and expect support. I get where you are coming from, but I can just as easily say all criminals who murdered their family should walk free because they are just exhibiting behavior I don't like about myself.

And this all comes back to the fact that this is a gaming forum, and we promote the people we like because we like them and that is just a fact of life.
I don't see the connection with the murder anthology and shadross's idea.
I just think that there should be more though into the times we vote.  To be honest, I find my self voting no or yes out of impulse, instead of actually thinking it through.  I really think that we should start giving reasons why we're voting the way we do.  That way we can all understand each other's opinions a little more.
I like reasons, though many soldiers are too lazy to even type a simple fucking sentence for one X_X

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41 pm »

@Swallow You're analogy really isn't accurate to this situation... There's a difference between stealing one's life and hoping that you'll get off clean and using annoyingness against somebody in voting

I am also going to say that the barracks is not really a place of intelligent discussion anymore. It isn't nearly as exclusive, and the content is rather tame. It is basically just general but allowed cursing.

And my analogy is an accurate representation of my feelings towards your statement and its subjectivity through moral relativism of the modern society. Isn't anything wrong with anybody simply the expression of undesired traits that you would find within yourself, because you're human and open to the same judgement and subjectivity of the collective mind?

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
  • LOVE, LIFE, LOYALTY, AND LIVE LONG LIKE LEGENDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43 pm »
I don't think anything has been settled so far. We all just have different views on what we look for.

What happened to the simple yes/no answers?

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45 pm »
Isn't the barracks just a social place, to hang out with people we like?!
Surely if we don't like someone because we find them annoying, we should vote no, no?
So if you have skills to be a great moderator, a great responsibility, great leadership and can prove to be a great person to sploder, most privates like you and think you could be a decent contribution but because majority soldiers think you are annoying, you cannot become Lt because they  don't think you are that sociable. Fuc'k

;)

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45 pm »
I don't think anything has been settled so far. We all just have different views on what we look for.

What happened to the simple yes/no answers?
We still have them.

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 03:46 pm »

I made one a while back but y'all never followed it. Either way I am working on something in the LL that will fix this.
I agreed to yours.

Offline Poke579

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • The Old one. I am pokemaster579.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46 pm »
So if you have skills to be a great moderator, a great responsibility, great leadership and can prove to be a great person to sploder, most privates like you and think you could be a decent contribution but because majority soldiers think you are annoying, you cannot become Lt because they  don't think you are that sociable. Fuc'k

;)
I know its absolute bull, but you can become a lt, without going through soldier.
Also, who has all those things and is disliked by the majority of soldiers? Lol, you're argument does not work, because I cannot think of a single person who fulfilles all the criteria and is not a soldier. If you can think of one, gimme a shout.
Imagine something witty.

No, not that witty, try again.

Offline lumberjay

• The Philosopher
  • Disruptor
  • Jaywalker extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 08:28 pm »
For the record, making criteria for soldier would be rather difficult, as most people have their own internal criteria that they think a person should meet. If they think the person is cool and likable, then they are obviously going to want to vote for that person. Soldier is a social rank above all else, so having a strict requirement for members to fill sort of renders the social aspect moot.

So if you have skills to be a great moderator, a great responsibility, great leadership and can prove to be a great person to sploder, most privates like you and think you could be a decent contribution but because majority soldiers think you are annoying, you cannot become Lt because they  don't think you are that sociable.
A mod could just pull an Hk in that situation, and make an executive decision to promote someone they think is worthy, without holding a vote. Granted, this led to a lot of bi'tching, and made the promoted individual feel bad.
Majoring in Political Science with a minor in Philosophy

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36 pm »
I am also going to say that the barracks is not really a place of intelligent discussion anymore. It isn't nearly as exclusive, and the content is rather tame. It is basically just general but allowed cursing.

And my analogy is an accurate representation of my feelings towards your statement and its subjectivity through moral relativism of the modern society. Isn't anything wrong with anybody simply the expression of undesired traits that you would find within yourself, because you're human and open to the same judgement and subjectivity of the collective mind?
If this isn't a place of intelligent conversations anymore then why the hell does it matter who's in here? All I'm saying is "annoyingness" shouldn't matter in voting. I mean come on now, obviously they don't annoy everybody if they got suggested in the first place.

And Swallow, your analogy is still inaccurate. "Annoying" people are still good people and have done no crime. Murders have committed one of the worse possible criminal acts. There is nothing to compare there.
Nani?

Offline lumberjay

• The Philosopher
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 08:53 pm »
The barracks has never been a place for intelligent discussions, lmao.

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58 pm »
The barracks has never been a place for intelligent discussions, lmao.
Then why the hell does it matter who we have in here? I mean like legit, lmao
Nani?

Offline lumberjay

• The Philosopher
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 09:10 pm »
Then why the hell does it matter who we have in here? I mean like legit, lmao
Probably because it's the Barracks is a silly little club (pardon my bluntness, lol) where if "I don't like something about you, you don't deserve to get in." Soldier rank has no powers, yet can be surprisingly exclusive in some aspects. It becomes a social rank because there is no other reason for it to exist. That is why people will use "annoying" as a reason, because it's a viable reason, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11 pm »
If this isn't a place of intelligent conversations anymore then why the hell does it matter who's in here? All I'm saying is "annoyingness" shouldn't matter in voting. I mean come on now, obviously they don't annoy everybody if they got suggested in the first place.

And Swallow, your analogy is still inaccurate. "Annoying" people are still good people and have done no crime. Murders have committed one of the worse possible criminal acts. There is nothing to compare there.

Moral relativism. That is why my analogy is valid.

And finding someone annoying is a legit reason to not want them in the barracks. It matters who we let in, because if it doesn't, there is no reason for this category.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:13 pm by swallowthesun »

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15 pm »
I've lost hope in most, if not all, of you. This is really pathetic that you all can be so stubborn. It's pretty sad with how Lumber worded it being completely true.
Nani?