Author Topic: OH MY GOSH GUYS I GOT ACCEPTED FOR REVIEWER!! (free thanks!!)  (Read 358 times)

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
WOOHOO OH MY I GOSH GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!
YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Ok so let me explain I post my application and about two months go bye then tbremise shows up saying this:

I'll tell you what, you typed this like my second appliction, which almost made it for me but just barely didn't, Why don't you pm me a separate Application, I will look at it and then let you know if you can be accepted.
I want to see if you will be willing to look at your reviews more than once before pming me, trying to catch as many mistakes as possible. Try to word things differently than you normally would once in a while too. A final word of advice and some complitments, I advice you to maybe just rid yourself of titles for each paragraph, and just have them hinted, it breaks the flow of the read, the compliment, I liked your intro paragraph, not bland like most I've seen.
(So just pm me another, when you get the chance, and pm if you have any questions too.)

so then I send him this epic application via pm:

Snowfall
Reviewed by: Matthade2

Game design is an alchemy, a mix between an art and a science. It's an enduring craft in one of the most interesting mediums out there. Sure you can make a game by the books adding the right number of enemies and puzzles to make your game interesting but there is more to it than just that. Sometimes a game has to blow us away with its atmosphere and presentation while thinking outside the box with its puzzles and concepts. Snowfall is one of those games. This game was made by Tbremise of Tbremgames in the Physics Puzzle Maker and was shortly featured afterwards. Now why does this game strike so many chords with me in its design? Well stick around as I go into the psyche of Snowfall and talk about both the pros and cons that make this game one of a kind.

First let's go into the story of Snowfall and like many of the games of old its plot is not exactly complex. You are Schnee the most adorable snowman on the planet, seriously its the pinnacle of cuteness you just can't resist it. Anyway unfortunately for Schnee his friends have been captured and his village has been ravaged by the possessed Snowhead. You being the awesome friend you are decided to go save your friends, fix up your village, and most importantly put a stop to Snowhead. Now while the story is pretty minor its worth mentioning because it plays to the game's biggest strength its atmosphere. The story also makes you the player feel more attached to our snowman protagonist Schnee. So with a plot to get us into Snowfall lets see how the game fares out.

Now like I said in the previous paragraph where Snowfall really shines is in its atmosphere and presentation. Right off the bat you will fall in love with the protagonist but what else makes this game's atmosphere stand out? Well for starters the world or rather snow village in this case stands out. The graphics for the snow village and the NPC's are really great to look at. From the trees, to the little houses, to even the enemies they all fit perfectly into this game. Not only that but even the music adds to the atmosphere! Each track fits in every level and captures the mood of every situation. From the peaceful levels in the village to the spooky graveyard and even the climatic bosses. All these things make you feel immersed in the world to a point where you feel lost in every moment this game gives you. The presentation here is simply amazing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Alright so with a fantastic presentation lets see if the gameplay lives up to the atmosphere. You control Schnee moving in all directions using the arrow keys. Your method of attack are these snowballs which you aim at with the mouse and fire with the space bar. Obviously that's a lot of input and more often than not you will be aiming first then running up to an enemy and shooting. The goal however is to collect these presants which will then lead you to a teleporter. Do that for a few levels and then fight Snowhead using a few timed shots and your done. Other than Snowhead and a Ice witch boss the game is not that challenging it just has a lot of surprises. Its more about taking your time with your shots and the puzzles not just go in their snowballs blazing and once you do know what to do with the boss and puzzles its pretty easy. I don't really have a problem with this I just felt the game lacks substance. Only counting the levels where you actually do stuff this game is pretty short too. Sure the game has a bonus level, intro, and a cute little ending level but to me there are only five levels in this game and two of them are boss fights so I can't say that the gameplay is quite up to par with the gorgeous presentation.

It's not all bad news for Snowfall though as the game once again shines through in its placement. Like I said before the game forces you to take your time with your shots because the presants are in direct danger zones. I really like games that force me stop and think things out not just rush through a game. Not only does the placement force you to think it also rewards you through exploration. For example when you fight the last boss Snowhead you can get killed pretty quickly if you just try to charge up to him but there are these lives near these trees right before you face him that really help you out in the fight. Not only that but thanks to the placement there are these walls right next to him. Now Snowhead has projectiles and bodyguards so maybe trying to go up and fire isn't the best idea but your just close enough to where you can fire at these walls. Sure enough you find out the walls are bouncy and you can kill him without even getting too close. This is using placement to help a game out not hurt it. Not only that but now because of the placement the game is even better than what it could have been without it. Overall placement is another key reason to why I just adore Snowfall.

After playing Snowfall something weird happened to me. I had just finished the game and for some strange reason I stopped. I mean I loved playing this game but I couldn't figure out why I enjoyed it so much and then it hit me. Maybe game design is more than just a science. Maybe its more than simply a medium just to have fun. Maybe game design is an art. Something we can't explain. Something mysterious yet fun and new. Snowfall was one of those games. It just made me happy and blew me away with its atmosphere and great presentation. It maybe too short and sure it does lack substance but the good stuff is just too good. So for that and many reasons more Snowfall definitely deserved its feature and I'll be playing it a thousand times again.

Ratings

Story: 7 out of 10

Presentation: 10 out of 10

Gameplay: 6 out of 10

Difficulty: 5 out of 10

Placement: 9 out of 10

Final Score: 37 (24-37)

A solid game that stands out on its own. The game gets the most important things right and while there are flaws they don't break the experience or the game. Overall the game is pretty good and it has a good ideas which warrant at least a playthrough or two.

Then after that I waited for awhile then he sends me a pm and I'm all nervous going oh my gosh could this be it? I was so nervous so I went to tinychat and thanks to the support of extbear and glowingbluewolf I finally decided to look at it. Here is what tbremise said:

Well, you sure know how to butter a guy up. lol. Other than a few minor errors and some wording issues in the fourth paragraph, I like it, and covers what I like to see.
ACCEPTED.
(though you may want to not use this as a real review... it may look fishy if you get accepted by me and this post this. lol)
I will add you to the list.

Ok so at this point I'm bouncing off the wall so happy and so excited princess windeh is on tinychat now and hes being awesome as usual and wow I finally did it! I'm so happy and so excited at the same time. I just wanna thank everybody for being awesome and reading my applications and being supportive and all that stuff. So yeah free thanks for everybody! WOOHOO!  :) :) :)

Offline alon

• General
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
Re: OH MY GOSH GUYS I GOT ACCEPTED FOR REVIEWER!! (free thanks!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:52 pm »
That's great! I hope you make awesome reviews! =D

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:52 pm »
Nice job! Ha ha, but yeah don't thank my post though I just wanted to congratulate a friend
Nani?

Offline Tbremise

• ~The Artisan~
  • Disruptor
  • Sit down, Relax, You're Welcome
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:53 pm »
lol. Glad it made your day.
Features: 4 (Newest one) LOZ Search for the Sword
Check out all my songs and more to come here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBeMissed?feature=mhee
=D

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54 pm »
Nice job! Ha ha, but yeah don't thank my post though I just wanted to congratulate a friend

no problem man I'm just so happy and so glad that all this hard work is finally paying off. It may have took me a year but I finally did it. By the way shadross your an awesome friend.  :)

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor
  • Religious Reviews/Religious2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54 pm »
zomg Congratz
I am so jealous xD

-17 gold
1 conqueror armor

Offline Pythagoras

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:55 pm »

Dudki
Cg
Coolgirl5
Cian009
Ryanrider
Woodchuck
Enderchim
Milking
Matt
Jasmineofdeltora
Sto4
Koolbox
Religious2

Newest game

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56 pm »
lol. Glad it made your day.

It made my year to be honest.

Offline Wind

• im gay. im jewish. i really like politics.
  • Centipede
  • i hate 2013 wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59 pm »
Gratz bro :3
And of course I'm being as awesome as usual. :3
PLEASE VORE ME NOW

also drew cute lol

Offline Prince Daydream

• literally 500 IQ
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Meh Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:07 pm »
OM splodeING G

Lemme invite you to the Reviewer Buddies group ^_^

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:08 pm »
OM splodeING G

Lemme invite you to the Reviewer Buddies group ^_^

I like the sound of that.

Offline Gamekid

• The Prankster
  • Mortar
  • Gamekid2011 here. ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11 pm »
Yay! But I got there one day before you >:3
Jk. Congrats, I tried 4 times. 5th time lucky :)
MS Badges Held:

Main Site Moderator - Passed the test on: 29th April 2013
                                Badge given on: 1st May 2013

Editor - N/A

Reviewer - N/A

Offline Dudki

• Heavy Cruiser
  • DON'T READ THIS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 05:16 pm »
Gratz on getting accepted. You really deserved it. That review was amazing. :D
Features: 5
Latest Feature: Ending the Garradin (Arcade)
Latest Game: The Temple of Earth (Plat)
Game In Progress: Rebuild (Plat)

Offline billu

• Cruiser
  • Hello Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:22 pm »
your reviewer application was legit.  :)

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 05:33 pm »
Yay! But I got there one day before you >:3
Jk. Congrats, I tried 4 times. 5th time lucky :)

I believe the one that got accepted was my 4th but they never really denied my third they just where sorta ehh about it.

Gratz on getting accepted. You really deserved it. That review was amazing. :D

Glad you think so I put a bunch of effort into it.

your reviewer application was legit.  :)

More like ultra legit  ^-^

Offline marcvider

• Bulbi Badinna
  • Soldier
  • Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50 pm »
WOOHOO OH MY I GOSH GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!
YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Ok so let me explain I post my application and about two months go bye then tbremise shows up saying this:

so then I send him this epic application via pm:

Then after that I waited for awhile then he sends me a pm and I'm all nervous going oh my gosh could this be it? I was so nervous so I went to tinychat and thanks to the support of extbear and glowingbluewolf I finally decided to look at it. Here is what tbremise said:

Ok so at this point I'm bouncing off the wall so happy and so excited princess windeh is on tinychat now and hes being awesome as usual and wow I finally did it! I'm so happy and so excited at the same time. I just wanna thank everybody for being awesome and reading my applications and being supportive and all that stuff. So yeah free thanks for everybody! WOOHOO!  :) :) :)
CONGRATS!! :D
Credit: LMXOrange

All the shots I take, what difference did I make?
All the shots I take, I spit back at you.
All the splode you fake, comes back to haunt you.

Offline Troyio

• I'm not black
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • <^>CoNtEgO bRoThErHoOd<^>
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 05:53 pm »
Congratz

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01 pm »
So what happens now I'm still confused. Do I wait for something or am I good to go reviewing some games?

Offline dragonlizard7

• TF2 is a game where you can throw jars of piss at people, and not get charged for common indecency. That is all.
  • Centipede
  • Carpe Diem, it's a battle cry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01 pm »
Nice

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01 pm »
So what happens now I'm still confused. Do I wait for something or am I good to go reviewing some games?
Did Geoff already give you your badge?
Nani?

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 06:02 pm »
Did Geoff already give you your badge?

I don't think so where do I go to check that? The mainsite?

Offline Troyio

• I'm not black
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • <^>CoNtEgO bRoThErHoOd<^>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 06:03 pm »
You'll get your badge whenever Geoff updates the ToDo List in the Mainsite Office.  Once you are given your badge, go to the reviews page and at the very bottom is a button that says 'Write a Review'

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 06:04 pm »
You'll get your badge whenever Geoff updates the ToDo List in the Mainsite Office.  Once you are given your badge, go to the reviews page and at the very bottom is a button that says 'Write a Review'
^^^ This
Nani?

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05 pm »

oh ok thanks that makes much more sense.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08 pm »
I need to start recruiting again.  That would've been a deny from me
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15 pm »

Wouldn't expect anything more from a reviewer of your caliber. I just hope to one day get as good as you.

Offline Tbremise

• ~The Artisan~
  • Disruptor
  • Sit down, Relax, You're Welcome
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34 pm »
I've been denying people all over, this is one of the best ones I've read honestly.
Features: 4 (Newest one) LOZ Search for the Sword
Check out all my songs and more to come here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBeMissed?feature=mhee
=D

Offline matthade2

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:39 pm »
I've been denying people all over, this is one of the best ones I've read honestly.

Glad you thought so I enjoyed making it. If grammar was the issue for spida you can blame all the grammar checks out there. Some completely contradict others and some flat out lie to you. The english language is hard to learn for a reason. If the problem for spida was my writing style or the way I worded things ya thats my fault. Anyway I thought I did a pretty good job I just hope I can improve for my upcoming mainsite reviews..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:57 pm by matthade2 »

Offline Gert

• Mortar
  • #Gumball's Morning
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 06:50 pm »
congrads. can i have my thank?