Author Topic: 7grant2's Review Thread  (Read 999 times)

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
7grant2's Review Thread
« on: May 18, 2013, 01:04 am »
OK, this time around I'm actually going to do some more reviews lol. There are rules, so be sure to follow them.

1) If there is currently one game waiting to be reviewed DON'T POST.
2) If there are no games being reviewed, YOU MAY POST YOUR GAME.
3) If I post "NEXT", that means I have skipped the game in my cue. YOU MAY POST YOUR GAME.
4) Please let others get a chance to post their games. Be kind, be courteous, because if you start being hasty about it I will just boot you from the thread.

This is a first come first serve basis, and I'm not holding up any sort of line. I will try out the game and if I am unable to get through the game with relative ease (by that, I mean it can't be insanely difficult or have terrible flow) then I will move on and explain why. If I skip a game, you know that it may be too difficult without the knowledge of the production of the game.

I will try my best before skipping a game but I do know a bad situation when I see one.

I will try any game you post, it doesn't matter if its fresh out of the maker or no one has beaten it.

I will review to my standards, and that is by starting every game off with a 5/10 score going into it - completely average. I will then add points for good things, subtract points for bad things, not quite so arithmitic, but my overall satisfaction while playing and after playing are the key to be taken into account to my scoring.

Alright, lets get started.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:56 pm by 7grant2 »

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
Re: 7grant2's Review Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01 pm »
NEXT

The first platforming section is immensely difficult. On the very first level, you only give the players 2 chances to jump across a giant spikey pit before ending the game. Now I played the game 3 times, having tried this platforming section 6 times, and no luck. Terrible structure, as you will draw away any player who is not willing to try many attempts to get past (or those who are lucky to get past the first time). If I were you, don't penalize the player so much for missing the jump. Maybe put some lava down there and a ladder to the beginning so they may at least try a few more times before rage-quitting.

On a side note, I don't understand the music. It sounds like the ending to a game, not the beginning, and without any context I'm confused at the tone you are trying to give me.

Offline sto4

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:07 pm »
NEXT

I apologize for not getting further into the game, but the game simply would not let me continue. When I through my 3rd grenade, it would pop higher into the air and not let me toss it under the perma-switch in which I could not continue the game. I killed my player - no one else has beat the game.

I suggest adding more grenades and, for future games, more testing.

Offline sto4

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:23 pm »
NEXT

I apologize for not getting further into the game, but the game simply would not let me continue. When I through my 3rd grenade, it would pop higher into the air and not let me toss it under the perma-switch in which I could not continue the game. I killed my player - no one else has beat the game.

I suggest adding more grenades and, for future games, more testing.
Haha it's cool, it's pretty difficult. Also, you don't get the grenades yet, and you don't use grenades to deactivate that switch. ;)

Offline King Jeremy the Wicked

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • SPC Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22 pm »

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37 pm »
Haha it's cool, it's pretty difficult. Also, you don't get the grenades yet, and you don't use grenades to deactivate that switch. ;)
I apologize for not getting further. Puzzle games and I go along like a straight man at a gay bar.
Prolly not gonna get accepted, but

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/ch3ck/play/thrilled/
Its really just a matter of "can I beat it or not within a reasonable amount of tries" or if I just ragequit. I'll get on it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:40 pm by 7grant2 »

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48 pm »
NEXT

Let me start off this as to why I skipped it. I start the game, I figure out I have to move left - not to big of a problem. I get some grenades then I get stuck as I toss them down the hatch in the beginning. Restart, do same thing, no luck. Restart, AND I MAGICALLY FIND A SWITCH OUT OF NO WHERE.

Now let me stop there. Puzzle games are meant to solve puzzles, NOT to grope in the dark to figure out what to do. Why don't we call these trail and error games because that is EXACTLY what I am doing - BS. A puzzle gives you a tool or a series of sequences to figure out your next step and has a direction. I play too many "puzzle" games that end up to me doing random things until I magically uncover the next area by sheer luck of making a mistake or random movement. Its like point-and-click adventure games, where you are mashing every thing on the screen and trying to morph every item in your inventory, but at least with those games when you click on the wrong part of the screen you don't fall into a batch of lava and the game mocks you for not being "smart" enough to pass. /rant

For all of you puzzle enthusiasts, give me enough grenades to continue, give me unlimited lives so I may try it as much as possible, or else you will have the average user rage-quit. Puzzle games are meant to be challenging in terms of solving the puzzle; don't give me a challenge that I die if I make a mistake, let me revive; don't give me a "puzzle" that involves me flailing about the map, let me figure out a riddle that can be deciphered through logic. THAT is a puzzle game in my eyes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:04 pm by 7grant2 »

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
  • LOVE, LIFE, LOYALTY, AND LIVE LONG LIKE LEGENDS
    • View Profile

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
  • I am the milkman, my milk is deliscious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25 pm »
STOP POSTING BEFORE I SEE THIS OMG
#WCGP

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:50 pm »
NEXT

You may post your game again AT A LATER TIME, but please edit it so it is possible. I have noticed that no one has beaten this game (or previous games tried in this thread) and there is a good reason for that. Also test it some more - realize that as the producer of the game you know the puzzles by heart, the players have no idea what they are getting into. Please give me and the rest of the players a break by not killing us off with a turret section, an insta-kill death fall (without enough respawn), and so on so forth.

I do somewhat enjoy what you have done here, the puzzles aren't inane and can be figured out through sensible means. HOWEVER, you didn't give me enough health through the turret section to beat the level, making it impossible to continue with any sort of ease.

I absolutely loved the introduction. There was claustrophobia, isolation, and a need for survival and escape - definitely a great way to establish plot. Then you burn down those twin towers by completely ignoring the plot and going with a more relaxed plot-free puzzle game... you hooked me in with something completely different with a serious tone and I didn't feel it the next level at all. If you are going to give the player such plot and setting, you should definitely continue it more-so. I can't say for the rest of the game, but if the introduction is just a placeholder, meaning just giving context to your objective and situation, that is not plot by any means. It is exactly what a placeholder means, giving a setting with nothing really to prove it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:54 pm by 7grant2 »

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54 pm »
STOP POSTING BEFORE I SEE THIS OMG
Well you owe me at least feedback from Legend ;P WHICH YOU SAID YOU WERE GONNA DO.

EDIT: For those of you who follow my reviewing, I did write a new review not too long ago regarding "This", a featured Retro game. http://www.sploder.com/games/members/7grant2/review/1966/a-game-by-gnashtynas/this/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:59 pm by 7grant2 »

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47 am »
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/mat7772/play/gladiator/

HINT HINT: Make sure to use other weapons as well as your lazer/ray.
hi

Offline King Jeremy the Wicked

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • SPC Enterprises
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:02 am »
It's cool.  First puzzle plat, so thanks for the feedback.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:20 am »
I'll review Legend omg soon. Skip Matt's game so you can get to mine.
#WCGP

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41 am »
I'll review Legend omg soon. Skip Matt's game so you can get to mine.
SINCE YOU SEEM SO HELLBENT ON GETTING A GAME REVIEWED, JUST PM THE GAME TO ME.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:49 am »
I'm waiting for him to post this review... omg

#Down2TheSecond
#WCGP

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57 am »
NEXT

I actually like how the game is structured. Its not excellent in which I'm bedazzled; however, it is above average, and that is what I like. This game should not be called Gladiator but rather Gauntlet, seeing as to you have to pass through a series of trying areas with little health to offer. Now I know I could beat this within a series of tries but I am not that hardcore about this game, especially considering the length I have to go through. 99 enemies is quite a batch to dispose of.

I did play enough of the game to get a taste for it and I would rate it 7/10. I know that the following sequences would merely be action sequences and nothing more, but they are done well and with variety to keep the game interesting and interactive to the player. Good job but it still has lots of room to make it a better game.

I will be reviewing Spellmage's game now, since he has been very persisitant on having me play it.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:01 pm »
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/spellmage/play/lonely-roads-6/

If you can get anywhere you'll have a good time. The first level honestly was a lot harder than I intended it to be and I kind of expected people to navigate the map like they new the place.
#WCGP

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:02 pm »
btw i'm going to monopolize grant
#WCGP

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:34 pm »
btw i'm going to monopolize grant
Read Rule 4: I'll kick you out no problems.

NEXT

I will not be playing Lonely Roads at this time as I just played Unorthodox by Spellmage.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 12:36 pm »
Sorry my friend. xD
#WCGP

Offline Prince Daydream

• literally 500 IQ
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Meh Instagram
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 01:11 pm »
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/thejaggerz/play/escape-collab-challenge/

Before you kick me out, just saying that this was a collab between Flippen, Jackboy and I.

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:52 pm »
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/thejaggerz/play/escape-collab-challenge/

Before you kick me out, just saying that this was a collab between Flippen, Jackboy and I.
If I skip you that doesn't mean I kick you out. I only kick you out if you abuse my reviewing lol.

Offline Prince Daydream

• literally 500 IQ
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Meh Instagram
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54 pm »
If I skip you that doesn't mean I kick you out. I only kick you out if you abuse my reviewing lol.
Whoops xD

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20 pm »
Yay! Thanks man, you hit it spot on! Just wondering, did you like the look of the game?
#WCGP

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 04:53 pm »
Yay! Thanks man, you hit it spot on! Just wondering, did you like the look of the game?
*shrugs* Aesthetics are not a strongsuit of 3D Shooters so they all look the same. Can't really say its amazing or bad.

Offline MeowMeowFurryCat

• Guard
  • *meows at camera*
    • View Profile