Author Topic: Deep Sea - an extract from something I'm writing...  (Read 134 times)

Offline concertony

• Guard
  • Planning world domination from my laptop...
    • Youtube :)
Deep Sea - an extract from something I'm writing...
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:02 pm »
If you're interested, here is part of it...
First, basic background information:
Setting: The Mariana Trench is the deepest part of the world's oceans, and the lowest elevation of the surface of the Earth's crust. It is currently estimated to be up to 10,971 m deep. It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands. The trench is about 2,550 kilometres long but has a mean width of only 69 kilometres. It reaches a maximum-known depth of about 10.91 kilometres (6.78 mi) at the Challenger Deep, a small slot-shaped valley in its floor, at its southern end; although, some unrepeated measurements place the deepest portion at 11.03 kilometres (6.85 mi). If Mount Everest, the highest mountain on Earth at 8,848 metres, were set in the deepest part of the Mariana Trench, there would be 2,076 metres of water left above It.!!

Year: 2106

Some main characters:
Captain – Jacob Edwards
Lieutenant – Simon Yeng
Admiral - Frederick Van-Haal
Vice Admiral - Juan López
Fleet Admiral – Mike Jones
Commander – Kurt Mann
(may have used a name generator for some of these :P)

The Arrival
It was dark: darker than the human mind could imagine. The only eyes the Sea Explorer sea ship Challenger MKI had was its sonar. Inside the ship, the lighting came from strip ultra-eco light rods and the computer consoles. “REACHING DESTINATION IN 2 MINUTES” Stated the computer. The captain, hearing this, spoke over his shoulder to the lieutenant Simon Yeng “Switch on the external lights and lets see what’s out there”
“O.K Captain” Replied Yeng. The screen was immediately filled with a faint light and what looked like a giant underwater gorge.
“DESTINATION REACHED”
“Commander Kurt” Barked the captain,
“Yes Sir?”
“Engage landing jets and sound warning to prepare for landing. I’m afraid it might be quite bumpy”
“Acknowledged”
Captain Jacob Edwards fixed his eyes on the screen. Then a thought hit him: ‘We are the first people to see this seascape in the whole world with our own eyes!’ He repeated his thought to the rest of the crew on the ship’s bridge.
“Wow! That’s a point!” Kurt Remarked.
“You’d better get used to it as you new view for the next five years”  Said the Admiral Frederick Van-Haal. “Can you remind me of your task Captain?” He continued
“Of course Admiral” he replied “Establish a scientific base in Challenger Deep in the Mariana trench the deepest trench in the world. Find new species of life, study the terrain of the trench and set up a defence base to protect the USUK Star ship base in the middle of the pacific.”
“I couldn’t have said it better myself” Exclaimed the Admiral.
“You are the best man for the job” said Vice Admiral Juan López with a hint of amazement in his Spanish accent.
There was a slight jolt and the computer said “THE SHIP HAS LANDED. PREPARE AIRLOCK AND AUTO-ROBOTS TO COMMENCE CONSTRUCTION”
“Nice landing” remarked Mann,
“Let’s do it” Shouted Yeng and Vice López.
“Very well” Replied Edwards “Activate the laser diggers”
“I’m on to it!” said Mann.
If you were above water, you would have seen the sun sending it’s golden rays over the large expanse of the pacific ocean, but, at a depth of over 10 900 metres the only sunlight you would be able to see would be from a viewer screen. Captain Edwards missed the sunlight. He had always been above ground: In his house, outside in the fresh clean air. He had even flown a mega freighter to the Proxima Centauri system 4 times and he had hardly ever been without some sort of light whilst making those journeys. He missed the warmth of the Sun. The cold and pressure of the water pressing down on every side of him just didn’t lighten his mood. A thought that had come popping more often than he wanted over the past 5 days of creating the base swam again into his mind: ‘Why did I take this job in the first place?’ The masses of space the latest Earth ships could cover created millions of choices of things to do so why had he gone further into his home planet in the charcoal – black waters of the Pacific Ocean? His thoughts were cut open by his lieutenant calling him.
“Captain?”
“What?” He snapped.
“We have finished construction of the sea base. We need to dock and try out the technology the admirals top quality engineers have produced. I’ve heard the best engineer in the world has helped create some of the computers!”
“What… You mean… THE engineer?” Replied Edwards his anger decreasing by the second.
“That is correct sir”
“We had better get landed then to try it all out then. Buzz the intercom to get everyone to the bridge.”
“Yes Sir”
Jacob Edwards rubbed his hands together in excitement of doing the thing he enjoyed best: Playing with the latest technology....

Meh, that is all you're getting. I've realized whilst making this that I wrote this bit about 2 years ago! :o
What do y'all think?
--Concertony:--
Classic Mini-Cooper Lover!
JOIN RPT HERE!
Latest Game!
Concertony (Sploder)
boy101-EA
boyEA101-youtube
It_Is_Me-mm2x.com