Author Topic: Some things I've noticed  (Read 359 times)

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
Some things I've noticed
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:47 pm »
A lot of platformers tend to focus on one very specific aspect of gameplay. For some, its mainly puzzles; others may have RPG elements (being very popular). I've seen focus in a lot of places, but I just don't see much story going around.

Not saying its essential, but I just really enjoy a good story told through a game. Anyone making a game with a story as a good essential core to its whole? If so, I'd love to check it out, maybe offer some advice here and there.

Offline theravicale

• Local semi-tech-literate person. And The Oracle.
  • Electropede
  • I'm a mod that actually does something :3
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
Re: Some things I've noticed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40 am »
I have been trying to incorporate story better recently (Azure, GrandQuest Darkest Hour). Azure's story is intertwined into the gameplay if you really dig into it and why I did ____. Intraciban's story is a major part of it due to the branching story paths (done for many reasons) but I'm not trying to make it perfect (I need to create 8 different storylines with similar events and things in them).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:42 am by Ravicale  »

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55 am »
Currently I'm making an RPG where the story builds the further you progress into the game. That's about it though lol
hi

Offline woodchuck

• Mortar
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:17 pm »
If you are looking for story, some of Rocketeer's games are good.

Offline blackhole2

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:36 pm »
I want to change my mindset about the game-making, so I'm making a long game with a storyline instead of a hard puzzle game. So yeah, making a long game about a mysterious murderer and and a virus which takes over the controll everywhere. It's called, Sherlock Bones. (Yes Bones, it's not a mistake, lol) I'm currently at level 6, and to be honest, I've sticked there. I have no more ideas; I mean the story has stopped around the half game! Would you like to try it out?

Edited
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:39 pm by Mr. Black Hole »

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:48 pm »
I have been trying to incorporate story better recently (Azure, GrandQuest Darkest Hour). Azure's story is intertwined into the gameplay if you really dig into it and why I did ____. Intraciban's story is a major part of it due to the branching story paths (done for many reasons) but I'm not trying to make it perfect (I need to create 8 different storylines with similar events and things in them).
8 different storylines? If understand the interest in multiple storylines, but 8 just seems to be going on a crazy tangent of stories. I mean, perhaps a loose collection of sub-stories that add to the whole, one per level, but that would be my only guess.

I want to change my mindset about the game-making, so I'm making a long game with a storyline instead of a hard puzzle game. So yeah, making a long game about a mysterious murderer and and a virus which takes over the controll everywhere. It's called, Sherlock Bones. (Yes Bones, it's not a mistake, lol) I'm currently at level 6, and to be honest, I've sticked there. I have no more ideas; I mean the story has stopped around the half game! Would you like to try it out?

Edited
Sure. I say let the story evolve itself and that would be best; go with it as you make the game. Thats what I did for Legend, and it has to be my favorite story I've told so far.

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:20 pm »
8 different storylines? If understand the interest in multiple storylines, but 8 just seems to be going on a crazy tangent of stories. I mean, perhaps a loose collection of sub-stories that add to the whole, one per level, but that would be my only guess.
Sure. I say let the story evolve itself and that would be best; go with it as you make the game. Thats what I did for Legend, and it has to be my favorite story I've told so far.
All of the storylines are main, the game uses a branching story line where your choices may lead to one but not the other. A total of 8 combinations are planned to be in the game.

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48 pm »
All of the storylines are main, the game uses a branching story line where your choices may lead to one but not the other. A total of 8 combinations are planned to be in the game.
*shrugs* you sure you can have a good impact with 8 combinations? I mean, for One Day, I plan on having 3 alternative endings, one of which is very difficult to obtain, but that is about it. Each will offer a major interpretation on what happens to the main character and how he dealt with the events that took place.

8 combinations will be extremely tricky to pull off and have an impact that is meaningful lol.

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:59 pm »
*shrugs* you sure you can have a good impact with 8 combinations? I mean, for One Day, I plan on having 3 alternative endings, one of which is very difficult to obtain, but that is about it. Each will offer a major interpretation on what happens to the main character and how he dealt with the events that took place.

8 combinations will be extremely tricky to pull off and have an impact that is meaningful lol.
I'm working on planning things out so that they work well.

Offline 7grant2

• Mogura
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24 pm »
I'm working on planning things out so that they work well.
Best of luck to you xD

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25 pm »

Offline blackhole2

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:50 pm »
Alright, I'll send you the link soon.
Well, that sounds easy, but it isn't. The storylines are going in parallel, and I must connect them.

Offline King Jeremy the Wicked

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • SPC Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49 pm »
I am making my EGD RPG with a neat story.  I'll find the hype thread for details.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15 am »
I have two ideas for platformers that have unique stories to them, but I just dont have the time to make them right now.
It's good to be Young.

Offline raquzzic

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:01 am »
I've not been one to make alt. endings much, and the games that do have them [like jabberwocky and its one alt. ending] are pretty lackluster.

I have Jabberwocky who's story based in the since everywhere you go have some purpose, even the weird areas of lvs 6-7.

Though the game is in "beatable in theory" territory like every long plat I make.  This may have been due to lv 4 being a bit confusing with the floating temple where you gotta go up to it with a jet pack by following the vines or finding the weird message on the other side of the lake.

There's only one alternate ending, and it requires getting four hard to get keys [though the first one's pretty easy] in lvs 3, 5, and 8.  The keys make the plat perhaps the only creator to be able to make major differences between levels via he key doors.  I've used this in Big Fishie as a way to access alternate levels, and the idea by ravicle's been taken to areas that I would never have the patience to do.

The story's complexity is somewhat there, although I doubt I told it well enough since no one mentions anything about the twists in the game or talks about the story beyond noticing the AI's name is a reference to the Alice in Wonderland poem. 

[Which sucks since I made such an awesome end sequence for it, all people remember is level one and the level with al the rockies in it occasional from what the comments section says, one comment on lv 4, but that's it.]

Currently though i'm making a retro arcade game that's very story based, Super Funk. 

It's about the funklands which are slowly dying away thanks to genocidal beings who go through multiple stages of metamorphoses like a frog does and trying to avert the world from falling apart.

Spoiler: You do.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:40 am by raquzzic »
DEMO the Funk: http://forums.sploder.com/index.php/topic,315544.0.html

What's been said about the Funk so far:
"that was the most amazing arcade scroller I have ever played. I can't wait to try the full game. The demo I give a 10/10." -Matty