Author Topic: Application  (Read 248 times)

Offline Yelawolf

• Mortar
  • Geoff57
    • View Profile
Application
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:59 pm »
While this thread is busy.

Game: Little Boy

Maker: mat7772

Type: Platformer Creator

Introduction:
I have often seen mat7772 lurking around the forums and always thought of him to be a "cool" guy, his attitude and respect for other users is great to see. So when I heard about his latest game (at the time) I was excited to get started on it finding out about the games story and adventures, knowing from playing his previous games I was in for a challenging game with a story behind it.

Game play:
The first thing that hits you as you enter this game ready to face the challenges that surely must lay ahead is unsurprisingly the story. Along with the music it creates an atmosphere that very few game creators can make, you feel part of the story and are taken away from the world around you and placed in the game. What adds to this effect is the item placement in the game, the houses and crops around your character force you to enter Mat's  world and see images from the story form around you. Mat does this well by using crops and houses to form what looks like a village.

As you progress further into the game you can feel a sudden change in the atmosphere as the game picks up pace and sprints towards action and adventure. Little Boy does this well by introducing new character's and tasks such as swimming through dark tunnels looking for objects. It is in tasks that you can be suddenly hit  by enemies hidden in the darkest corners of the tunnels when you least expect it. Little Boy uses the panic from attack's to force you into making bad decisions, a example of this would be to run away from the enemy only sending you running through yet another dark  tunnel. This is exactly what Little Boy wants for its in similar situations that it strikes with traps that can take victory away from you at the very last moment and like me leave's you wishing you had examined the situation before advancing making Little Boy very challenging indeed.

However some areas of the game have obviously had hours of hard work put into them as I said earlier and that is what forms the bubble what is Little Boy, but I cant help but feel other areas have had far less work put into them. For example in the tunnels I feel that Mat has used darkness to hide the fact that theirs very little detail, this doesn't effect the atmosphere a lot but it does put a dent in the bubble.

Conclusion:
In conclusion I found Little Boy to be a great experience. I found that enemies would come out of nowhere when you least expected it sending you into a panic, making enemy placement good. I also found traps to be very well placed making you think ahead. But what really makes this game unique is the story, the item placement along with the creativity of the story fit so well together and send you into a different world.

Report Card:

Enemy Placement: 4.5/5
Challenge: 4/5
Creativity: 5/5
Puzzles: 3/5
Item Placement: 4/5
I say it as I see it.
I don't lick anyone's behind to gain "respect" on this site.
You either like me or don't.

Always happy to help.

Offline Troyio

• I'm not black
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • <^>CoNtEgO bRoThErHoOd<^>
    • View Profile
Re: Application
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47 pm »
You had way too many grammar mistakes.  You used commas and apostrophes when they weren't needed and didn't use them some when they were needed.  A couple of run on sentences and simple mistakes as well.  The review started off like every other review it seemed and the middle was short and boring.  You basically talked about the atmosphere mainly and talked only a little about certain game setups.  You also repeated a lot trying to add length ex: The first paragraph of game play: The last two sentences said the same thing pretty much.  I think overall you know what makes a good game but you need to tell a little more about the actual gameplay instead of the feel.  You also should proof read a lot more.  I will suggest this to be denied.

Offline Troyio

• I'm not black
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • <^>CoNtEgO bRoThErHoOd<^>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:48 pm »
I don't know if that was what I was supposed to do.  Please tell me if I messed up.  I thought reviewers are allowed to veto suggestions and write a paragraph on why a review should be accepted or denied.

Am I correct?

Offline FadingEmber

• Disruptor
  • Throwback 😊
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:30 am »
@Troyio, as far as I know we can.

But yeah, I'll have to give it a 1/3

First, you DID talk about what area's are in the game and what they are, but you didn't describe what lies around or inside them. For example, when you talked about that house, was there anything inside it, could you get in, and apart from the crops, was there anything else around it? Second, I've found some clear repetition in this review. For example:
the houses and crops around your character force you to enter Mat's  world and see images from the story form around you. Mat does this well by using crops and houses to form what looks like a village.

^An example of repetition.

Offline Rubber Ducky

• 2013 me really had a taste for usernames
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:23 am »
A few of spelling errors, some parts that shouldn't be in some sentences... You could also add a catchy name for the review. So fix, there and here...

My grade for you: C
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:29 am by Milking »

Offline Eyenstein

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • rEbElAlS lIeUtEnAnT and NijkoLime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26 pm »
Bump
DERP and If birds can fly, so can potatoes.

╭━━━╮╱╱╭╮╱╱╱╱╱╭╮
┃╭━╮┃╱╱┃┃╱╱╱╱╱┃┃
┃╰━━┳━━┫┃╭━━┳━╯┣━━┳━╮
╰━━╮┃╭╮┃┃┃╭╮┃╭╮┃┃━┫╭╯
┃╰━╯┃╰╯┃╰┫╰╯┃╰╯┃┃━┫┃
╰━━━┫╭━┻━┻━━┻━━┻━━┻╯
╱╱╱╱┃┃

Offline alexmd

• Diamond Miner
  • Electropede
  • What's going on? My name's Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:06 pm »
Hmm..Needs improving, but it was good. B.
Nexus inventory:
5 Bronze
Light bow
Stone

400th thanker: Rus3000
FWENDS :D
-Chlorede-
-Rus3000
-Red
-Cmdbxx
-Rubber Ducky
-Wiktor
-Odysseus
-SEB
-Jagger
-Lordeldar
-Alonessix
-Crazykittyzz

MEANIES :(
-The Renegade

Offline Tbremise

• ~The Artisan~
  • Disruptor
  • Sit down, Relax, You're Welcome
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:15 pm »
Denied, there was repitition, gramar mistakes, and a few other things. Try to look over your work before submitting it next time, we look for the best you can provide.
thanks, and you may re-apply in 3 weeks.
Features: 4 (Newest one) LOZ Search for the Sword
Check out all my songs and more to come here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBeMissed?feature=mhee
=D