Author Topic: Dear diary,A review of crafty castle by gamethomas  (Read 338 times)

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor
  • Religious Reviews/Religious2
    • View Profile
Dear diary,A review of crafty castle by gamethomas
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:56 pm »
Dear diary, and you better write me back this time!!!I recently played a game.I would like to share my feelings about it with you. Hey, YOU READING THIS!!What are you doing here? Why are you reading this? You better click that rewind button and get out of here. This is private!!You won’t? Well, it won’t do any harm. My diary never replies to me anyway *sobs*, but will you?
Game maker: Gamethomas
Game name: Crafty castle
Game type: PPG

*Opens diary*
Okay diary, first let me say how I got to know of this game. I found this game in a really strange way. Moolatycoon’s epic gamer contest had this game in it. I wanted to prove that I was actually an epic gamer and not just some noob, so I decided to take on some games in the contest. Would you believe of all of them, I only beat “getting your license by bobbler”, and would you know? Crafty castle by gamethomas. It was a really fun game, and I saw some reviews for it. At first I didn’t think it was review worthy, but when I saw people like moolatycoon reviewing it, I decided to give it a go. So, here I am. Reviewing crafty castle, by gamethomas.

*flips page*
Let’s talk about gameplay first. Well, what to say about gameplay? I was sort of clueless at first. Then I played the game again and I noticed some things. The gameplay was below average, it wasn’t great it wasn’t bad. But to be honest, the game was pathetically easy. For a featured game, it barely had any puzzle or any part that you had to think before moving the arrow keys. It was just the same plain old stuff, control that yellow smiley face and make it fall through the yellow door. The same old thing with that red face, ooh a red door, should I make it go through? Red is the color of blood, will it lose a life? Ooooooh, I’m confused, not really. The gameplay and puzzles were obvious which made it…….weak, tasteless, flat, plain, wishy-washy. I thought editors look for a game that actually gives a challenge. The gameplay in this game did not really impress me at all.

*flips page*
Since this page was the most difficult to open, but do I really need to repeat myself. Okay, I won’t, because that got my previous review to get denied.  I’ll just further explain. When I first played crafty castle, it took me at least 6 minutes to beat it. After a few more tries it took me 2 minutes. The game just gets easier the more you play it. It didn’t offer any puzzles. Everything was straight forward (Am I repeating myself?), I mean, how do I explain it more. Is there really anything to say? Okay, I would say it’s difficult to some people, some people that don’t know how to play games, though it could be easy to lose a life in this game, and at the same time for other gamers it would be very hard to lose a life. The bosses were the most easy of the levels has you plainly had to dodge projectiles. So to conclude, it wasn’t really hard, but hey, not all games are meant to be hard are they? Wow, I really rambled on in the difficulty section….

*flips page*
Awe, isn’t that the cute puppy dog I drew a long time ago, with my sister’s drooling slobber all over it!!!I guess I should use this page for scenery. Well, the scenery is really the only thing that stood out in the game. Other than the blank-minded game makers who make a huge rectangle as platforms, he used a very cool and creative idea. Using actually square and triangular platforms to construct the platforms. It really made the entire game stand out from other games .I also love, that for the bosses, it’s in a top down form instead of normal platform. Though the scenery isn’t quite as impressive in boss levels as in other levels (with little scenery work on the boss, a moving eye shooting spikes?)This is the best aspect of the game, and it really causes you to be hooked into the game.

*flips page*
Hmmmm, let’s talk about the puzzle aspect of the game. As the gameplay, the puzzle aspect of it sucked. And when I say sucked, I mean SUCKED!!!If I’m not wrong, isn’t the puzzle aspect of a game supposed to be a part of the game that a person has to look beyond the observe before he can realize what to do? The puzzle aspect was like looking for your old hamburger from last Tuesday, checking in the fridge, and *wham* empty, pathetic!!To be honest, I wonder why it even got featured. I’ve seen games with more puzzle aspect than that and they still don’t get featured. Perhaps the scenery convinced the editors? Aaaah, you never can get into the mind of those guys…….

WAIT, you’re still here? Reading my diary, I think I might have to stop early because of you!!!Just kidding, would you like some fruit cake? Kidding there too, why am I wasting my time talking to you, let’s continue.

*flips page*
Aaah, the final aspect of the game. Good thing too, my pen is running dry of ink. When I first played this game, I thought it was quite original. I mean moving faces and frownies?, I’ve never seen anyone do that before. The platforms were also an original idea, but I read some of the other reviews, and noticed something. The ability for a player to pass through doors the same color as me. At first I thought, psychotic pong!!But I realized that he didn’t necessarily have to copy it from psychotic pong. Many gamers have used that feature before, why not one more. Though that made it slightly unoriginal. Though the bosses were plain, the creative idea of the health bar combining with the time limit intrigued me. I’ve never seen anyone come up with that idea before. And also, some aspects of the game were quite original, as the effect with the water. Err….that’s all I got.

Now time for pros and cons
Pros:
Fun game
Great scenery
Quite an original idea

Cons:
For a featured game, it doesn’t really have sufficient puzzle
Quite easy (Not sure if it’s really a con)
Ratings:
Gameplay: 2.9/10
Talk about bland…..
Difficulty: 2/5
Quite easy
Scenery: 4.1/5
The best aspect of the game
Puzzle: 2.9/10
Refer to gameplay
Creativity: 3.3/5
Quite creative, though some ideas were obviously copied, making it less creative
Overall:  3.04
It was a fun game, though I’m still puzzled on how it got featured

*flips to last page*
There it is diary; I’m done with sharing my feelings with you. And you, yeah you, the stalker that has been reading my diary, thanks for reading. Well, to conclude I would say it was a really fun game, quite surprising at some parts, interesting at others, and bland at most parts. But what do I know? I’m not an editor.

-17 gold
1 conqueror armor

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
Re: Dear diary,A review of crafty castle by gamethomas
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:25 pm »
I'm not saying accepted or denied, because you're my friend, but take into consideration the date it was made before you accuse it of being unoriginal.
Boo

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
  • I am the milkman, my milk is deliscious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59 pm »
Denied, you have a nice style to your review, the diary, and I believe you should keep with it. But everything you wrote came out as obnoxious and annoying. As casper said, you forgot to check the date on this game, and if you look at games around the time crafty castle was created you would see that most dull in comparison.

My thoughts, look for a more recent game and don't make your review look so childish and you will be golden.
#WCGP

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15 pm »
Too bad,so do I have to wait two or three weeks?

-17 gold
1 conqueror armor

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22 pm »
Denied, you have a nice style to your review, the diary, and I believe you should keep with it. But everything you wrote came out as obnoxious and annoying. As casper said, you forgot to check the date on this game, and if you look at games around the time crafty castle was created you would see that most dull in comparison.

My thoughts, look for a more recent game and don't make your review look so childish and you will be golden.
Golden?,yay.And I didn't actually mean for it to be childish,I was just expressing my opinion

-17 gold
1 conqueror armor

Offline G1

• Disruptor
  • ☆Just doing God's Work☆
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:05 pm »
I am happy that now recruiters are active.

Better luck next time Religious.
Nothing is impossible for me, because nothing is impossible.
To reach the best you got to search for people who are better than you.

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07 pm »
Thanks

-17 gold
1 conqueror armor

Offline Transcendent

• Disruptor