Author Topic: [Application] It does 't look Azure... [FINISHED]  (Read 360 times)

Offline X

• Mortar
  • Ohai.
    • View Profile
[Application] It does 't look Azure... [FINISHED]
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:20 pm »
DONT ADD THIS PART: My account is m11dsauce.

Hello and today I am reviewing Azure by ravicle.

Prethoughts:
    Well, I hope everyone knows Ravicale because he is the best RPG platformer maker in my opinion. He has his famous Ex. Viral, Astrone, and the amazing Grandquest series. Overall, I have extremely high expectations for this fellow game maker.

Thumbnail:
   Well, the thumbnail wasn't really ravicale's type of style for thumbnails, which is extremely good scenery. Although it did give what the game was going to be like. A tall tower, really with lots of owls as dialogue. Not much, but it makes sense because the game was made last year, and rav has improved greatly (hey, everyone improves right? =D) in scenery.

Scenery:
     In short, there was barely any scenery, besides the first level. All the other levels were black, white, and some occasional blue and red.

BUT, in the story, it explains it by saying this: "...there was no light other than the blank sky..." So it explains why the scenery was so bland. Also, I like the black and white texture, it creates more puzzles for you and it helps with people that are color blind. (Not saying that I am.)

Action & Placement:
      I felt like leaving this blank, but decided not to explain why I wanted to. There was barely any action it, which made me sad, because ravi (I think I should just call him rabbi for now on. :3) is known for amazing Action and placement. Although the action was scarce, the placement was pretty good. I just wished I saw a little more action in here, for it would've made it even harder.

But, explains this by saying (not a spoiler alert): "You will rarely directly fight a foe." which tells you that this is not going to be a HOLY CRAP! 20 FIRE TROLLS ARE AFTER ME! but it's more of a cunning like a fox (cliche :D) type of game, which also means that you have to have wits and a brain, not a shield and sword.

Puzzles:
    Like I said, this game was supposed to be a puzzle game. SUPPOSED. I was quite sad with rav when I played this because he made kindaobviouspuzzles. Although there was some new ones, I didn't see any brain-wrecking puzzles. (By the way, I got to 7/9) It was probably mind-boggling to some newbehs. But for me, it was quite easy.

But, (I add in alot of these ;)) I did like the challenge with the background, to feel where your at. Especially when he hides in some things to it where your walking around then you go NOOO. (I am not spoiling it. :P)

TO DA RATINGZ!

Overall:
Scenery: 8/10
Puzzles: 7/10
Action: 5/10
Placement: 9/10
Creativity: 10/10
Story:9/10

Overall score: 8/10

Feature Worthy?: I say it is... FEATURE WORTHY! Although it had not much action, it had a gross amount of puzzles. I personally like this game, but you can see for yourself. It had peaks, it had lows, just like a roller coaster.

Should you play this?: Yep. No paragraph needed here.

Comments Appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:46 pm by X »

Offline X

• Mortar
  • Ohai.
    • View Profile
Re: [Application] It does 't look Azure...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:20 pm »
NOOOO I WAN"T FINISHED

Offline NPC

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • I'm a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07 pm »
Well delete this thread, finish the application, and re-post it.

Offline X

• Mortar
  • Ohai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52 pm »
Well delete this thread, finish the application, and re-post it.
I can't D:

They don't allow me delete my thread.

Offline theravicale

• Local semi-tech-literate person. And The Oracle.
  • Electropede
  • I'm a mod that actually does something :3
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
Re: [Application] It does 't look Azure... [FINISHED]
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:35 pm »
Ok review, however just to clarify a few things:
but it makes sense because the game was made last year, and rav has improved greatly (hey, everyone improves right? =D) in scenery. This game's development actually overlapped the development of GrandQuest: Darkest Hour by a number of weeks.
I have been ahead of the curve in platformer scenery for almost all of my time on sploder. The minimalistic black and white look was to emphasis the gameplay and draw your eyes to the story. Level 13 has better scenery as it is meant to be the level where everything changes.

I felt like leaving this blank, but decided not to explain why I wanted to. There was barely any action it, which made me sad, because ravi (I think I should just call him rabbi for now on. :3) is known for amazing Action and placement. Although the action was scarce, the placement was pretty good. I just wished I saw a little more action in here, for it would've made it even harder.

But, explains this by saying (not a spoiler alert): "You will rarely directly fight a foe." which tells you that this is not going to be a HOLY CRAP! 20 FIRE TROLLS ARE AFTER ME! but it's more of a cunning like a fox (cliche :D) type of game, which also means that you have to have wits and a brain, not a shield and sword.

I tried to set the game apart from the others by making it devoid of ANY enemies (the only ones you fight are 4 bats and it was meant to just disorient the player slightly). To give the game danger and challenge I focused on platforming and hazard avoidance. I don't think that it is logical to down-rate a game for not doing something it never intended to do in the first place.

Like I said, this game was supposed to be a puzzle game. SUPPOSED. I was quite sad with rav when I played this because he made kindaobviouspuzzles. Although there was some new ones, I didn't see any brain-wrecking puzzles. (By the way, I got to 7/9) It was probably mind-boggling to some newbehs. But for me, it was quite easy.

The more complex puzzles come in later than that. It is more or less used to reflect the plot and subtly foreshadow the ending of the game. I tried to have the puzzles escalate like they would in a real game so that the person has an idea of what to do instead of in the style of say... Youngcaliman where they give you no hints and expects you to know everything. I find that that the way I did it leads to more fun gameplay for most people. Also, the game has 15 levels (first real game to have that many, achieved via glitch.)

Feature Worthy?: I say it is... FEATURE WORTHY! Although it had not much action, it had a gross amount of puzzles. I personally like this game, but you can see for yourself. It had peaks, it had lows, just like a roller coaster.
Funny you should mention roller coasters because this was my only game that had one of them thus far XD.

Decent review, a bit more content and humor would be nice along with trying to fit the template to the game more (My posting of opinions on the review is justified because I am a ms reviewer :3).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:40 pm by ravicalesalt »

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:05 pm »
Not particularly impressed. Seems generic, not really getting me interested enough to read it.

And just for the lolz:

Offline X

• Mortar
  • Ohai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:27 pm »
Ok review, however just to clarify a few things:I have been ahead of the curve in platformer scenery for almost all of my time on sploder. The minimalistic black and white look was to emphasis the gameplay and draw your eyes to the story. Level 13 has better scenery as it is meant to be the level where everything changes.

I tried to set the game apart from the others by making it devoid of ANY enemies (the only ones you fight are 4 bats and it was meant to just disorient the player slightly). To give the game danger and challenge I focused on platforming and hazard avoidance. I don't think that it is logical to down-rate a game for not doing something it never intended to do in the first place.

The more complex puzzles come in later than that. It is more or less used to reflect the plot and subtly foreshadow the ending of the game. I tried to have the puzzles escalate like they would in a real game so that the person has an idea of what to do instead of in the style of say... Youngcaliman where they give you no hints and expects you to know everything. I find that that the way I did it leads to more fun gameplay for most people. Also, the game has 15 levels (first real game to have that many, achieved via glitch.)
Funny you should mention roller coasters because this was my only game that had one of them thus far XD.

Decent review, a bit more content and humor would be nice along with trying to fit the template to the game more (My posting of opinions on the review is justified because I am a ms reviewer :3).
Thanks. Your better than me, so I just added a little more criticism to it. I tried not to spoil anything like the bats, so yeah. 

Offline X

• Mortar
  • Ohai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30 pm »
I never knew that you can do that level glitch! :o

Offline Eyenstein

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • rEbElAlS lIeUtEnAnT and NijkoLime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50 am »
Has this got denied?
DERP and If birds can fly, so can potatoes.

╭━━━╮╱╱╭╮╱╱╱╱╱╭╮
┃╭━╮┃╱╱┃┃╱╱╱╱╱┃┃
┃╰━━┳━━┫┃╭━━┳━╯┣━━┳━╮
╰━━╮┃╭╮┃┃┃╭╮┃╭╮┃┃━┫╭╯
┃╰━╯┃╰╯┃╰┫╰╯┃╰╯┃┃━┫┃
╰━━━┫╭━┻━┻━━┻━━┻━━┻╯
╱╱╱╱┃┃