Author Topic: EGL Suggestion: Unorthodox by Spellmage  (Read 298 times)

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
EGL Suggestion: Unorthodox by Spellmage
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:06 am »
I just want to say first that it's very easy to tell that Spell put a lot of work into this game. Although the ending was a little predictable for me personally to a certain extend, the story was written very well, with some actual humorous commentary that wasn't cheesy, lol. The scenery also made the story shine even more, and everything was just placed in the right spot. Although there is very little game play, the game offers quite a bit, and for me personally, it's one of the best experiences I've had playing a game in a while, and like Two Souls One Goal perhaps, it shows that the 3D creator is not as limited as people may think it is. Also, I would not vote for this unless you've gone through the entire game. Also, read everything carefully.

Yes: 5
No: 3
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:25 pm by YoungCaliman »
It's good to be Young.

Offline theravicale

• Local semi-tech-literate person. And The Oracle.
  • Electropede
  • I'm a mod that actually does something :3
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
Re: EGL Suggestion: Unorthodox by Spellmage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:14 am »
I honestly found the plot unfocused and occasionally hard to follow given all of the un needed items and such to read. The scenery was above average but nothing exceedingly new, it did lend to the illusion of a town though. I did find the humor well placed and it actually made me laugh. To be honest, as a game it fails, it would be better suited to an rpfg or short story. From a mechanical standpoint I have to say no.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17 am »
I honestly found the plot unfocused and occasionally hard to follow given all of the un needed items and such to read. The scenery was above average but nothing exceedingly new, it did lend to the illusion of a town though. I did find the humor well placed and it actually made me laugh. To be honest, as a game it fails, it would be better suited to an rpfg or short story. From a mechanical standpoint I have to say no.

Well yeah from a game play standpoint there's not much to talk about, but it's just very well put together, and I kinda like the unnecessary stuff. You're never gonna find a case that just delivers the necessary stuff, that would just make it boring in my opinion. I thought the scenery was believable for a 3D game, especially the park/grass sceneries. I've just never seen a 3D game like this. 
It's good to be Young.

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:20 am »
Well yeah from a game play standpoint there's not much to talk about, but it's just very well put together, and I kinda like the unnecessary stuff. You're never gonna find a case that just delivers the necessary stuff, that would just make it boring in my opinion. I thought the scenery was believable for a 3D game, especially the park/grass sceneries. I've just never seen a 3D game like this. 
I like having a few red herrings thrown my way but slogging through dialogue from strippers is fairly pointless and loses its novelty.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49 am »
I played through it properly and read everything and I agree with Cali, at first I just sped through and didn't do anything, now I read it all and I liked it... yes from me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:53 pm by JJS »
#WCGP

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05 am »
I'm going to say yes, aswell. It's very different to anything I've seen before, and 30 mins well wasted.
Boo

Offline lcraniuml

• OFWGKTA
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:50 am »
agree 100%. no from me

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
  • I am the milkman, my milk is deliscious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10 am »
I just want to know if anyone solved the crime. :P
#WCGP

Offline tunechi

• Soldier
  • Mogura
  • tookewl the rapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49 am »
you always got something negative to say its impossible to please you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Elroy

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 12:45 pm »
No. I loved the storyline and all, but it was barely even a game. I beat it without having to fire any shots at all. Putting this into the EGL would be like featuring one of those automated PPG games that are so popular nowadays.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51 pm »
No. I loved the storyline and all, but it was barely even a game. I beat it without having to fire any shots at all. Putting this into the EGL would be like featuring one of those automated PPG games that are so popular nowadays.
Umm... umm... umm... games don't necessarily have to have action in them. You do realize this right? Games like the older "point and click" games had absolutely no fighting in them and are still considered some of the best games to date. If you thought this game was so easy, that must mean you have beat the "actual" storyline and not the sub-plot, correct? Well that means you can name the killer, list his motive, explain the mysterious ripped wall paint everywhere, and be able to justify setting Jared and Carlos free. Right? I don't think so.
#WCGP

Offline Elroy

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 12:55 pm »
Umm... umm... umm... games don't necessarily have to have action in them. You do realize this right? Games like the older "point and click" games had absolutely no fighting in them and are still considered some of the best games to date. If you thought this game was so easy, that must mean you have beat the "actual" storyline and not the sub-plot, correct? Well that means you can name the killer, list his motive, explain the mysterious ripped wall paint everywhere, and be able to justify setting Jared and Carlos free. Right? I don't think so.
Alright, I guess you got me. Though I still honestly found it a bit boring. It's just my opinion bro.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56 pm »
Alright, I guess you got me. Though I still honestly found it a bit boring. It's just my opinion bro.
Haha, not mad you found it boring, I was just pointing out that your argument made no sense.
#WCGP

Offline Elroy

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:59 pm »
Yeah lol, sometimes something sounds good in your head but then you say it and you're like "when was this a good idea? .-."

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04 pm »
Oh yeah, I just want to make a quick list of what this game does for those who haven't completed it.

- 237 messages available to read (I counted >.>)
- A living breathing enviroment (Interrogating suspects can lead to people trying to kill you, ect.)
- Probably the best game "graphics" in any 3D game
- Double storyline
- New gamestyle that has never been implemented into any game on sploder ever before
- Intruiging (hopefully lol) murder mystery
- Nice character development

#WCGP

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05 pm »
Yeah lol, sometimes something sounds good in your head but then you say it and you're like "when was this a good idea? .-."
haha I know. xD
#WCGP

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12 pm »
So is it still a no from elroy?

And Spell, one question. I was never able to enter the area called "The Cove" or something like that. I can't remember if that's exactly what it's called, but there was a shield blocking it and I never went in there. I was able to get into the area with the 3 trolls, but not the other shielded area in that level. Is there something important there that I missed?
It's good to be Young.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12 pm »
NEW RULE (not enforced): PLEASE AT LEAST PLAY THE GAME FOR MORE THAN THREE MINUTES BEFORE VOTING. thx
#WCGP

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15 pm »
I'm not even sure if I left the tab open long enough to get on the scoreboard but it took me a little over a half an hour to complete.
It's good to be Young.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15 pm »
So is it still a no from elroy?

And Spell, one question. I was never able to enter the area called "The Cove" or something like that. I can't remember if that's exactly what it's called, but there was a shield blocking it and I never went in there. I was able to get into the area with the 3 trolls, but not the other shielded area in that level. Is there something important there that I missed?
Yes, The Cove is a bar with a "secret"-ish entrance into another crime syndicate's base. There you can find a hit list that will clear Jared and Carlos's names. In the level before, go into Brett's house and there will be a switch.
#WCGP

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 01:16 pm »
Yes, The Cove is a bar with a "secret"-ish entrance into another crime syndicate's base. There you can find a hit list that will clear Jared and Carlos's names. In the level before, go into Brett's house and there will be a switch.

Oh yeah I forgot the switch was in a previous level.
It's good to be Young.

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 01:58 pm »
I'm not even sure if I left the tab open long enough to get on the scoreboard but it took me a little over a half an hour to complete.
Yeah, you were on the scoreboard.

Boo

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 02:11 pm »
you always got something negative to say its impossible to please you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is possible, however I find it important to point out the negative when critiquing games.
The issue with the anthology is that point and click games still had gameplay to them, you interacted with the environment (usually to find a macguffin or solve a puzzle), obviously without the story the games are boring, but the gameplay is there to progress the story and make it a game.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 02:16 pm »
It is possible, however I find it important to point out the negative when critiquing games.The issue with the anthology is that point and click games still had gameplay to them, you interacted with the environment (usually to find a macguffin or solve a puzzle), obviously without the story the games are boring, but the gameplay is there to progress the story and make it a game.
My game isn't any different dude... You have to look for
clues, interrogate people, ect.
#WCGP

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23 pm »
My game isn't any different dude... You have to look for
clues, interrogate people, ect.
Yes, but the actual gameplay and control doesn't reflect that, it never forces you to do it and it never punishes you for not doing so, games like LA Noire use the story to improve on the gameplay, this game just wears a mask and calls itself a game. If it were a short story or an rpfg I may have liked it more.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 02:28 pm »
Yes, but the actual gameplay and control doesn't reflect that, it never forces you to do it and it never punishes you for not doing so, games like LA Noire use the story to improve on the gameplay, this game just wears a mask and calls itself a game. If it were a short story or an rpfg I may have liked it more.
What do you mean? The only way to beat the non-subplot is to solve the crime. Just getting on the scoreboard doesn't justify a win. It isn't my fault that the 3D creator works a different way, but it does, and that is why I made the subplot. And by the way, in LA Noire, you can confront the mystery whenever you want to. Just like in Unorthodox, in LA noire you can explore the city and avoid the mystery. So I don't quite understand your point. Have you even beat the actual storyline?
#WCGP

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33 pm »
What do you mean? The only way to beat the non-subplot is to solve the crime. Just getting on the scoreboard doesn't justify a win. It isn't my fault that the 3D creator works a different way, but it does, and that is why I made the subplot. And by the way, in LA Noire, you can confront the mystery whenever you want to. Just like in Unorthodox, in LA noire you can explore the city and avoid the mystery. So I don't quite understand your point. Have you even beat the actual storyline?
What I mean is that the actual actions you perform in LA Noire reflect what you are doing instead of waiting for text to finish scrolling. In Heavy Rain you perform the same motions your character does (or as closely as possible with the analogue sticks, or the move if you are tacky :3) and thus you connect to the character and actually feel like you are changing the story. The limitations of the 3d creator are why I suggested a different medium to convey the story.

Offline theravicale

• Electropede
    • View Profile
    • RavicDesign
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34 pm »
Yes, I have read through every single dialogue except for one on level 7 because I couldn't find the bloody switch X_X

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 02:36 pm »
What I mean is that the actual actions you perform in LA Noire reflect what you are doing instead of waiting for text to finish scrolling. In Heavy Rain you perform the same motions your character does (or as closely as possible with the analogue sticks, or the move if you are tacky :3) and thus you connect to the character and actually feel like you are changing the story. The limitations of the 3d creator are why I suggested a different medium to convey the story.
But you DO do actions, you open storage bins, cabinets, warehouse boxes, you talk to characters, interrogate them and use that knowledge to find out who committed the crime. I do understand what you are saying though, and I feel like that is more of an attack towards geoff and the creator than me...
#WCGP

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 02:37 pm »
Yes, I have read through every single dialogue except for one on level 7 because I couldn't find the bloody switch X_X
Really! :D yayy and how do you know it is every but one? :)
#WCGP