Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 155 times)

Offline trans301

• Disruptor
  • Freedom is the right of all Sentient beings.
    • View Profile
The Hobbit
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:52 am »
an unexpected disappointment.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been.  All the actors did great, especially Ian Mckellen, but the movie lacked something.  I felt like they stretched it out too far and spent too much time in backstory and such.  The backstory is kinda needed I guess but I felt it was a little long.  Then, there was the whole matter of Radagast the Brown or however you spell his name.  He was basically the Jar Jar Binks of Middle Earth.  Luckily he only got 10 minutes of screen time, because he was terribly boring.  I don't mean to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I didn't feel like all the parts in the movie should have been there.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie to go see in Theaters for sure, but not as good as it could have been.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

Offline religious6

• Mortar
  • i love my fans
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12 am »
not watched it yet

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:13 pm »
an unexpected disappointment.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been.  All the actors did great, especially Ian Mckellen, but the movie lacked something.  I felt like they stretched it out too far and spent too much time in backstory and such.  The backstory is kinda needed I guess but I felt it was a little long.  Then, there was the whole matter of Radagast the Brown or however you spell his name.  He was basically the Jar Jar Binks of Middle Earth.  Luckily he only got 10 minutes of screen time, because he was terribly boring.  I don't mean to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I didn't feel like all the parts in the movie should have been there.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie to go see in Theaters for sure, but not as good as it could have been.

Do you guys agree or disagree?
Completely disagree. The Hobbit was a lot better than I expected. And what do you mean "too much backstory"? The Hobbit is a backstory, you nitwit.
Boo

Offline al3xhw

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • Legend speaks of a being that bounced to success..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:44 pm »
Tbh, I think the back-story was just enough. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot, but I think it was vital for the story and it really kept to a bearable pace. The expositions wove seamlessly, and it was brilliant acting, as you said. I admit, there were a few cheesy scenes that were pretty unnecessary, like the Mario style escape from the goblin cave, but it kinda cracked me up in the end. I think it's safe to say, the mood of the Hobbit is totally different to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is a big relief, because the last thing I want is a rip off of that. It's a lot more warm and fairytale-like. Which is faithful to the book almost exactly. But I see why it could disappoint some people. I, however, can't wait for the next one. =PP
VOTE:

Offline King Jeremy the Wicked

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • SPC Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54 pm »
All I know is that the movie got terrible reviews.

Offline michaelrd

• Guard
  • EAT MORE CHIGGEN!
    • View Profile
    • MRD Graphics Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:58 pm »
From storyline point-of-view, it was great. From special effects point-of-view, it was great. If you're judging from how similar it is to the book, it's not that great. The pale orc wasn't even in the book.

Offline trans301

• Disruptor
  • Freedom is the right of all Sentient beings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41 am »
From storyline point-of-view, it was great. From special effects point-of-view, it was great. If you're judging from how similar it is to the book, it's not that great. The pale orc wasn't even in the book.

yes he was, just not the main villain.

Offline 0minutes

• Turret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:54 am »
I did not watch it, but I will in a few days.

Offline Whtever

• The Darkness of Despair
  • Mogura
  • GO FALCONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02 am »
I personally found Radagast the Brown hilarious. And I think that the way he was included along with other funny scenes was a nice change of tone from the Lord of the Rings, because I don't want to watch the same 3 movies again. -_-

And I agree with Casper; since the entire movie is a backstory to the trilogy, some scenes need to be there so I can make connections like: "Oh, that's why Bilbo changed his mind" or "Oh, that's how got the ring." If you pay attention then you see how all the characters evolve throughout the film, which is a nice change to the usually static characters these films use.