Author Topic: [Denied] A Note about a Ransom Note  (Read 404 times)

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • I forgot what I was going to put here...oh well.
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
[Denied] A Note about a Ransom Note
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:07 am »
A Note about a Ransom Note

Hey guys and gals reading this, EthGamma here, finally taking the time and effort to write a reviewer application for my friend Mat7772’s latest game, Ransom Note. Now, I only know this guy through the net and I don’t think I've ever seen him in real life, but I consider him a great friend, so I decided I might as well write a review for him. He was one of the first to greet me here on Sploder way back in September (okay not that long ago but whatever). But, enough about me and my internet friendships, it’s time to get to the review!

The Basics
Okay, to newbies, Ransom Note may seem like an “impossible game”. In actual fact, there is a method to this which few members may know. It involves using your brain and the buttons on your keyboard. I’m not giving anymore clues; I think I've given you enough, okay?

Structure
The shooter in my opinion is a really awesome game type, and it is probably my favourite creator next to the plat. When I’m bored or have time to kill (not literally, I love my bedside clock) I will go and play a shooter/robot, for fun. I came across Ransom Note and all I can say is wow. The majority of guys playing this will see only the ally launcher and the character trapped in a wall, but the skilled members (like myself) will see the real game, every little detail that makes this shooter the game it is.

Creativity
Okay, Ransom Note isn't the most creative game out there, but it has its touches, like how areas transform with the touch of a button, or in this case, hovering over a switch. The gameplay is good and bad in some areas, and sometimes it’s just plain average. If you get as far as I did, you’ll understand. Some areas were just “hit the switch and see what happens” and other parts were excellent traps. The storyline was above average. I’ve seen many featured shooters that have awesome storyline et cetera et cetera, but Ransom Note is just simple. He’s coming to get you. A bit like what Slender Man does when you find the eighth page.

Hazards
Ransom Note is absolutely packed with hazards, bugmeisters, launchers, you name it, he’s put it there. The thing that I like is that the enemies are not just separated into areas or shoved together like things that get shoved together; they get placed accurately and perfectly across the map. I could say that there were too many, but I could also say there weren’t enough. I can’t really decide whether to like the placement or not, partially because a heavy cruiser killed me in two seconds flat and the fact that I had full health after some enemy battles.

Puzzle
I’m only taking this from where I got to, but the puzzles were well devised and set out throughout the game. The puzzles were actually original (like many of his other shooters) and weren’t copied, which makes Ransom Note an exciting game. As I said before, there were some parts where it was just hitting switches and making stuff appear which got quite dull after a while but a few times I played the game over and over to finally work out how to solve the trap ahead. I mean, I couldn't really review a game from being killed in a minute, right?

Action
Ransom Note wasn't that much of an intense game, in brief, it was just kill this, hit this, go this way, go that. I didn't feel eager to keep going like with most games, but I kept playing anyway, for the sake of you guys. You wouldn't be reading this without my effort. Mind you, you wouldn't be reading this without Matty’s efforts either…forget I said that! Anyway, the action in this game was minor, but for an average gamer it would be fun, and that’s what I believe Matty was aiming for.

Overview
Well, I did find Ransom Note a cool game to play in my spare time, and I’m pleased it’s out there for people to play. I’m pleased there’s no lag, which most users like, and if users could figure out the start, I bet it would be viewed a lot more (no offence Matty). I myself enjoyed it, but I kinda rage quit at the end because of 30 something “Mission Failure” screens. But I shouldn't be counting those, I should be counting the scores that make up the Grand Total!

Scores
Structure: 4.5/5
Creativity: 3/5
Hazards: 3.5/5
Puzzle: 4/5
Action: 3.5/5
Grand Total (drum roll please): 3.7/5

Conclusion
To be honest, I think Ransom Note deserved the 3.7 score it got. Feature worthy? Maybe. All I can say it Mat7772 did a pretty god job making this game and he should be proud. It’s a shooter that's way above average and I hope he makes more games like this.

Thank you. Good night. Drive home safely.

Ransom Note
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:24 pm by EthGamma »

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
Re: [Application] A Note about a Ransom Note
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:13 am »
Just added the link to the game down the bottom.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:06 pm »
Bump.

Offline MeowMeowFurryCat

• Guard
  • *meows at camera*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05 pm »
Good luck!

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!

Offline jacmas

• Launcher
  • I'm NOT back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08 pm »
Very Swell

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42 am »

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40 pm »
Bump.

Offline rocketeer

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31 pm »
Not bad. In fact it is good. I'd say any recruiter in his right mind would accept this. This review is pretty darned good and was enjoyable to read. I liked your personality and choice of words.
Survival of the Fittest

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:49 pm »
Not bad. In fact it is good. I'd say any recruiter in his right mind would accept this. This review is pretty darned good and was enjoyable to read. I liked your personality and choice of words.
Thanks.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51 pm »
Bump'd.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:52 pm »
Bump'd again.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:02 pm »
Denied.  Your intro seems useless.  It doesn't give any info towards the game, it just tells the story of why you reviewed it, and it's not a good story either.  It's verbose and doesn't get to the point.  Your review is too structured.  It's hard to compare and contrast parts of the game when you separate them and focus only on one aspect at a time, and it comes off as technical.  You do a good job in describing the game, but you fall short of specifics.  When you mention a part of the game, make sure you tell them how it worked/didn't and why.  You need a bit more finesse and less structure.  When you get rid of these concrete categories, then you'll have more room to write, in which you can be able to add more details about the game and its components.

So yeah, Rocketeer, I guess I'm not in my right mind.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 05:23 pm »
Denied.  Your intro seems useless.  It doesn't give any info towards the game, it just tells the story of why you reviewed it, and it's not a good story either.  It's verbose and doesn't get to the point.  Your review is too structured.  It's hard to compare and contrast parts of the game when you separate them and focus only on one aspect at a time, and it comes off as technical.  You do a good job in describing the game, but you fall short of specifics.  When you mention a part of the game, make sure you tell them how it worked/didn't and why.  You need a bit more finesse and less structure.  When you get rid of these concrete categories, then you'll have more room to write, in which you can be able to add more details about the game and its components.

Okay thanks anyway.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
Re: [Denied] A Note about a Ransom Note
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29 pm »
So, reapply in 2013?

Offline segasilver99

• Mortar
  • I'm EthGamma. Mindflippin' ftw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 06:26 pm »
Nice review bro. I fail at reviews xD.
LEFT
CENTRE
RIGHT
CENTRE
LEFT
CENTRE
RIGHT
CENTRE
LEFT
CENTRE
RIGHT

Offline rocketeer

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 07:26 pm »

True. I'm glad you are finally accepting that fact.
Survival of the Fittest

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34 pm »
Finally accepting?  Haha, no.  I've been out of my mind for around my entire life.  It's more fun that way.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:05 pm »
Finally accepting?  Haha, no.  I've been out of my mind for around my entire life.  It's more fun that way.
So, reapply on 1/1/2013?

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29 pm »
Yes.  I am banishing you from applying for the rest of the year.

Offline Eth

• NOT EPIC MODERATOR
  • Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
    • Catch me on YouTube!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22 am »
Yes.  I am banishing you from applying for the rest of the year.
D: