Author Topic: [Application] A Game Of 4 Sides  (Read 303 times)

Offline Raider

• Mortar
  • Proud SCOURGE Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[Application] A Game Of 4 Sides
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:02 pm »
A Game of 4 Sides Parrelelogram by Supersain

Opening remarks: Parallelogram ok, so it’s going to have something to do with 4 sides because of the name.The name, I think there’s a 95% chance that this is a puzzle game. I wasn’t too excited about this as it seemed like just another physics puzzle type game. The creator of this unique game I have never heard of; honestly I’ve never heard of this guy so I’m guessing he is a relatively new member that prefers the physics game maker over the others. The title sounds original, and his concepts were too. I also noticed that the game had a black and white theme; I like games with funky colours like “Teasing Your Brain”. Strangely, this sort of game attracted me as I was playing Redball and this game came up below, I found myself rather intrigued. Also, the fact that the game had spelling errors is normally a bad sign, this time it wasn’t.

Review: Like I said the game has a black and white theme throughout, and to be honest I think it actually made me want to play it as it reminded me of Neocortex. Too much colour in this game would just make it not fit and not seem like it was one giant game, just a couple of random puzzles. You may disagree with me, but the black and white allows you to see the everything in each level and helps the levels to tie into each other nicely. The shape of each level also helped the game, it wasn’t all boring squares or rectangles, but had some  parallelograms , unique and cool ; particularly how it elegantly moved across the screen, I have no idea how to make that and found myself jealous.

Well, you play  2 black and grey parallelograms, this player has some unique abilities that I haven’t seen before, so don’t let the game’s complexities fool you. I like the use of two players, something I am going to do in some of my games. I am so impressed that he figured out how to make the parallelograms overlap and that he found a good use for it, which made certain tiled walls open up paths in each level. Enough about the abilities though. Your goal is to manoeuvre through a series of levels and mazes, using two parallelograms all with your eyes set on the main goal, the coins. There are switches which is something you see often used in the same way. I liked how both players helped each other out something simple and snappy, saying that, the whole game was simple and snappy.

The game slightly lacked on the amount of hazards. Around every level you encounter the same sort of puzzles. Most of them were fairly simple. It was very repetitive, if this game wasn’t original it wouldn’t be half the game it is now. The puzzle was pretty much everything, there was barely any action but it didn’t matter considering this is a puzzle game and was fun and challenging. No matter what you do both will move at the same time, because of this you have to move them both safely. The traps were well placed but were quite easy to overcome. I would also would like to note that the graphics weren’t self-made; they were pre-set which shows that great games can have simple graphics. I did overall like the style in this though. You had to think before you move and wrap your brain around what your next move should be.

I have to be honest, this game seems sort of boring when you first play it, sadly the game’s difficulty didn’t rise at all. The placement of coins was predictable, each level was like I said, and repetition causes some interesting fun. There weren’t any levels that were extra difficult or stood out they were pretty much the same. Everything was well placed but I did want something different to happen, I was waiting for this game to truly take off. As he kept the game to up-beat simple mazes. The game gets so simple that I feel it might be a downfall. In the end I was not hopeful of finding an interesting game. I did beat it, I ended  the game feeling that it was a good game, but could have been so much better .I started the game thinking this game will take all night and before you can say “Supercalifragilicticexpealidotious” it was over. It may have not been what I had hoped it would be, but mark my words, you will see more from supersain, he could be an up and coming member, and I think you should keep your eyes on him.

I have to admit, the game was overall a very enjoyable game that was very addictive, but every game has its downfall. The first thing I noticed was that you could move the coins. Even though it was barely noticeable but a glitch is a glitch. It is a tad irritating how the character moved, it was so slow, it looked elegant and amazing, but I did have to just hold it down and it took way too long.All though I doubt it was intended. Another thing that I found really annoying was, perhaps it was just my computer, and the game has periods where it will randomly slow down. Also one parallelogram seemed faster than the other I hope this just my laggy computer and not anything.

Personally, this will be one of the few games I can say I was jealous of something for. Loved it for how addictive and unique it is, but hate it for the glitches and my laggy computer. It was too repetitive but very creative.
The Good: Unique idea, good style, very addictive

The Bad: The glitches and the lack of hazards.

The Ruined: Probably my computer, if I had a better computer, there would be way less glitches.
Gameplay: 2/5 (The lag and the repetitiveness really brought this game down)

Creativity: 4.5/5 (Name and few minor things made this decision)

Decoration/Background: 3/5 (Simple but good)

Traps: 1/5 (there were barely any traps, there were probably more in a nursery)

Fun/Addictiveness: 4/5 (It is fun and creative, but gets boring after a while.)

Conclusion

Let’s sum this thing up!
The game was fun and creative I hope you can agree. The game had own style. This game is not quite there due to the glitches and repetitiveness. Uh oh - just pressed super fast mode on parking challenge
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:10 am by Raider »
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Halo

• Mortar
  • Australia here. =)
    • View Profile
    • storums
Re: [Application] A Game Of 4 Sides
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26 pm »
Good luck raider! :)

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:10 am »
Thanks
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline religious6

• Mortar
  • i love my fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:13 am »
good luck bump

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:39 am »
bump
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:56 am »
wooh loads of them have just been denied :o
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:28 am »
bump
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11 am »
even more have been denied
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:25 am »
bump
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Halo

• Mortar
  • Australia here. =)
    • View Profile
    • storums
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30 pm »
Bump.

Offline religious6

• Mortar
  • i love my fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 02:11 am »
bump

Offline religious6

• Mortar
  • i love my fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:11 am »
bump

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 02:55 am »
thanks guys
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Raider

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36 am »
bump
300th thank~ Alonnesix
GIFSoup

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:03 am »
Denied.

The main review was mostly fine, just don't use words like well at the start of a sentence, it makes the review sound unprofessional. The first two sentences of the opening remarks sounded sloppy and it seemed unorganised. Don't forget to use grammar correctly like me instead of going; Hi ,my name is Raider . (I just used this as an example)

You may reapply in 2 weeks.
hi