Poll

Should You Be Allowed To Ask If Your Game Is Feature Worthy In Your Game Sharing Thread?

Yes, you should.
17 (81%)
No, you shouldn't.
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 14, 2012, 04:57 am

Author Topic: Should Asking If Your Game Is Feature Worthy Be Okay?  (Read 881 times)

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
Should Asking If Your Game Is Feature Worthy Be Okay?
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:56 am »
Honestly I have no problem with it, I remember back when I joined, if members released a game, in the title of their game sharing discussion they'd add (Feature worthy?) at the end, and it was banned, there was a rule made against it and there probably shouldn't have been. Members will PM editors and such asking if their game is feature worthy anyway, what's so bad about tagging the question along with their thread?

Members might be working hard on their games could be anxious to know if they met the standards for a feature worthy game, why delay them of knowing?

To be honest this seems like a forgotten rule and no one does it anymore, I think we should allow it. Of course we don't let people feature request their own games, but asking if it's feature worthy should be fine. I'd say we start up again and let people ask in their thread titles.

Vote in the poll.
#WCGP

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
Re: Should Asking If Your Game Is Feature Worthy Be Okay?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:09 am »
Hell yes. I've disagreed with this rule from the moment it was made. It actually does more good than harm. I'm happy to search through games seeing if they're feature worthy.
hi

Offline sto4

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • I'm here to help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00 am »
I always allow members to ask me if it's feature-worthy, heck I don't even mind if they feature request it. Most of the time they aren't feature-worthy, but you get those fun games that show potential. I think asking if games are feature-worthy should be allowed, including the valid and critical points that you have made.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
  • Self Esteem Points: 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:27 am »
Your logic makes sense, lol. If they don't get to do that in a public thread then they just pester us asking if it is feature worthy.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:01 am »
It's banned, but with statutory neglect.  Nobody is going to enforce that rule.  The reason we say it's banned because the second we lift the ban, threads will be pouring out the yin yang.  We just made the rule so that everyone stopped making requests.  If I was to make a thread now, I wouldn't get told it's against the rules.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline lumberjay

• The Philosopher
  • Disruptor
  • Jaywalker extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:47 am »
People can go ahead and ask, just as long as they don't get up in an editor's business about it. It's one thing to ask it as a general question, but something completely different when it's directed at an editor. The rule was never enforced that much, if I recall.
Majoring in Political Science with a minor in Philosophy

Offline Mechanism G

• I make Mrezman feel depressed.
  • Disruptor
  • A of ♠™
    • View Profile
    • Uh...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59 am »
I hate it when people ask.
<a href="http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d002y937&amp;cs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d002y937&amp;cs=1</a><a href="http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d003ep3q&amp;cs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d003ep3q&amp;cs=1</a>
<a href="http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d0039ome&amp;cs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.sploder.com/game.swf?s=d0039ome&amp;cs=1</a>

Offline 10000truths

• Heavy Cruiser
  • 10000truths here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:10 pm »
Asking for your game to be featured is a bit like asking for a promotion or an award. Yeah, it may be feature-worthy, but it's not something people are supposed to ask. Features are earned, not given or handed out like candy. It won't make your jobs any easier (everyone would be asking whether their game is feature-worthy), either.
At any rate, the reason it isn't quite as enforced now is because people have already gone into the habit of not asking. I don't recommend you deliberately undo that habit; I don't see any good come out of it.

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~ [Supreme Leader Of Da S.Q.U.I.D.s]
    • View Profile
    • Aether RPFG Scripts/Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18 pm »
Asking for your game to be featured is a bit like asking for a promotion or an award. Yeah, it may be feature-worthy, but it's not something people are supposed to ask. Features are earned, not given or handed out like candy. It won't make your jobs any easier (everyone would be asking whether their game is feature-worthy), either.
At any rate, the reason it isn't quite as enforced now is because people have already gone into the habit of not asking. I don't recommend you deliberately undo that habit; I don't see any good come out of it.
Ummm, no. Asking for a promotion/award is completely different. If that were the case, then you aren't 'asking' for an award or promotion but demanding it, NOW ASKING IF A GAME IS FEATURE WORTHY, that is just asking for an opinion, you aren't demanding the editors to feature it, but yet asking for their opinion on the subject.
CLICK TO GO TO THE AETHER RPFG! =>
<= CLICK TO GO TO THE AETHER RPFG!

Offline 10000truths

• Heavy Cruiser
  • 10000truths here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 01:32 pm »
Ummm, no. Asking for a promotion/award is completely different. If that were the case, then you aren't 'asking' for an award or promotion but demanding it, NOW ASKING IF A GAME IS FEATURE WORTHY, that is just asking for an opinion, you aren't demanding the editors to feature it, but yet asking for their opinion on the subject.
You don't have to demand a promotion, either, but asking the mods 'Do you think I deserve a promotion?' likely isn't going to end well in your favor.

Offline Shadross

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • ~Squashawut~ [Supreme Leader Of Da S.Q.U.I.D.s]
    • View Profile
    • Aether RPFG Scripts/Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:35 pm »
You don't have to demand a promotion, either, but asking the mods 'Do you think I deserve a promotion?' likely isn't going to end well in your favor.
While that may be true, these two things are on different levels. The equalivent would be like asking to be an owner of a shop compaired to asking if you can put your ad in their window.
CLICK TO GO TO THE AETHER RPFG! =>
<= CLICK TO GO TO THE AETHER RPFG!

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58 am »
It's asking a question Truths, not asking for it to be featured, but more asking if it's good enough, there's a difference. Comparing it to other things is useless as they are two different subjects.
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53 am »
It's asking a question Truths, not asking for it to be featured
The sad thing is, asking if a game is feature-worthy and asking for a game to be featured became the same thing down the line and that's why it was prohibited. Logically speaking, they are the same thing; The outcomes are the same for each for each question. If the answer is yes then the game gets featured. If the answer is no then it doesn't.
Members will PM editors and such asking if their game is feature worthy anyway
And when they do that we are not required to pay them any heed. When somebody PMs you asking if their game is feature-worthy it is considered spam. I actually never get PMs like this anymore. If you are and you are responding to them then good on you, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us do it.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Whtever

• The Darkness of Despair
  • Mogura
  • GO FALCONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22 am »
I actually really don't care and would give an answer straight up if they ask. That shows confidence and moxie to me. I can tell them what they're doing well and what they need to work on. That only helps the forum in the long run.

Same goes for asking if a game is feature-worthy. Someone may have worked hard on it, and you're honestly kind of a d-bag if you don't at least glance at it. Who cares if you hate being asked? If you hate being asked, then tell them to at least ask someone that will take a look if you're busy.

There's a collab between Superpiggy and myself that won a contest and was promised a feature as a result and then never got it. We've asked several times for a feature but 'ZOMG DEREZ A RULE AGAINST DAT' so no luck. I don't understand. We're two EGL game-makers and we can't get the time of day apparently. And we worked for a long time on that game.

That's happened to me before...I publish a game and no editor actually takes a look until I mention it extensively. I fail to understand how we can enforce a rule like this when it just makes the editors' jobs a little easier; they aren't psychic.

Now, I'm not saying mandate taking a look, but seriously, if you're looking for games to feature, this method of finding them is right under your nose.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:25 am by Whtever »

Offline 10000truths

• Heavy Cruiser
  • 10000truths here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 11:55 am »
I actually really don't care and would give an answer straight up if they ask. That shows confidence and moxie to me. I can tell them what they're doing well and what they need to work on. That only helps the forum in the long run.

Same goes for asking if a game is feature-worthy. Someone may have worked hard on it, and you're honestly kind of a d-bag if you don't at least glance at it. Who cares if you hate being asked? If you hate being asked, then tell them to at least ask someone that will take a look if you're busy.

There's a collab between Superpiggy and myself that won a contest and was promised a feature as a result and then never got it. We've asked several times for a feature but 'ZOMG DEREZ A RULE AGAINST DAT' so no luck. I don't understand. We're two EGL game-makers and we can't get the time of day apparently. And we worked for a long time on that game.

That's happened to me before...I publish a game and no editor actually takes a look until I mention it extensively. I fail to understand how we can enforce a rule like this when it just makes the editors' jobs a little easier; they aren't psychic.

Now, I'm not saying mandate taking a look, but seriously, if you're looking for games to feature, this method of finding them is right under your nose.
If your game was promised a feature, then you should have mentioned that. If they still didn't accept, then you should have featured it yourself.
Having everyone ask if their game is feature-worthy is not going to make your job easier. Everyone is going to ask, rather than no one, so there is no difference in the amount of work that needs to be put in. If you really want an editor to look at your game, just PM them and give the the game link. No need to ask whether it is feature-worthy or not.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:59 am »
But the second you respond with your opinions, you are suddenly the one guy that everyone will send their requests to.  It needs to be more open, if you're itching what I'm scratching.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 03:00 pm »

You can ask people to take a look at your game without asking them whether or not it is worthy of a feature. Although, that question is always implied when you are asking somebody to take a look at your game, unless you are mrdragon or youngcaliman in which case you are looking for something more.

I must ask something at this point to those of you who want this rule to be repealed: Are you doing this for the benefit of the privates and newer members who are still struggling to get their games noticed, or are you simply doing it to rid yourselves of what seems to be a restriction to yourselves?

As for me, I'm in favor of keeping this rule in place. I said before that whether or not the game in question is feature-worthy is always the implicit question when somebody asks you to look at a finished product. Simply going by that, the rule would be unenforceable because we'd have to outlaw the practice of asking other people to evaluate your games altogether. No, I see nothing wrong with people wanting concrete feedback on their games. I see this rule having more to do with etiquette. The problem I have with people just straight up asking if their game is feature-worthy is simply that it is rude. Again, I've equated asking if a game is feature-worthy with asking for a game to be featured. (If you want see my argument for that then scroll up to my previous comment. If I was unclear then I could go into more depth if you wish.) Strictly speaking as a long-time Editor on this site, there is nothing more annoying then somebody demanding that you feature his/her game(s).
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 04:00 pm »
Luigi, we don't have to answer them, pms are more annoying though because then they are incessant. When you check your pms, you will just get that, and its disappointing and annoying. They can do that in there own threads, but we never get notified.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04 pm »
Luigi, we don't have to answer them, pms are more annoying though because then they are incessant. When you check your pms, you will just get that, and its disappointing and annoying. They can do that in there own threads, but we never get notified.
So what you are saying is that we should make the effort to stop people from doing it in PMs anymore?
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13 pm »
So what you are saying is that we should make the effort to stop people from doing it in PMs anymore?

No, we should just counter it with a weaker restriction. Some will at least stop. It is very hard to restrict curiosity driven by hope, why burden us more? I don't get what is wrong with it. They should be able to ask in a hype, just not in a separate thread.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28 pm »
No, we should just counter it with a weaker restriction. Some will at least stop. It is very hard to restrict curiosity driven by hope, why burden us more? I don't get what is wrong with it. They should be able to ask in a hype, just not in a separate thread.
What's the point of asking in a hype, thread that is generally made BEFORE a game is even finished? I consider myself a pretty good judge of games but not even I can tell if a game is feature-worthy before it is even made.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 04:42 pm »
What's the point of asking in a hype, thread that is generally made BEFORE a game is even finished? I consider myself a pretty good judge of games but not even I can tell if a game is feature-worthy before it is even made.

Sorry, during a release thread, and sometimes people release the game in the hype.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 05:01 pm »
I think moola is on to something.  If we could keep it out of PM's, then I would be a whole lot more willing to check something out.  We need a way to prevent spam though...

Offline Cyclone43

• The "Calm" Arsonist
  • Banned
  • Bugmeister
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57 pm »
Moved to Editor's Corner.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 01:53 am »
I don't get how it's rude, and it isn't demanding luigi, a question is someone wondering something, a demand is somebody telling you in a statement to do something, much different :/

It's for anyone really, I don't know why it's necessary to have a rule like this, it's a game making site, and getting a feature is one of the top things to aim for, is it really so bad, on a game making site, to wonder if you've made your game good enough to achieve a feature. It's not that bad. Asking a question in a thread won't hurt too much, especially for willing editor's like me and those who voted positively, and it'll get the game seen quicker.
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 01:23 pm »
I don't get how it's rude, and it isn't demanding luigi, a question is someone wondering something, a demand is somebody telling you in a statement to do something, much different :/
It is rude because they are asking for their game to be featured. "Is my game feature-worthy" was always just the question "Can you feature my game?" cleverly disguised to make the asker look a little less pathetic.

It's for anyone really, I don't know why it's necessary to have a rule like this, it's a game making site, and getting a feature is one of the top things to aim for, is it really so bad, on a game making site, to wonder if you've made your game good enough to achieve a feature. It's not that bad. Asking a question in a thread won't hurt too much, especially for willing editor's like me and those who voted positively, and it'll get the game seen quicker.
You can get constructive criticism on a game without having to ask if it is feature-worthy. All you have to do is post a thread about a game and open it up for opinions. The words "feature" or "Editors" don't even need to come up. This is just my brutally honest, and a bit cynical, opinion, but I think you guys really just want this rule removed for your own benefit. I'm guessing you have the notion stuck in your head that if you can ask if your game is feature-worthy then your game might have a better chance of getting featured, or it will perhaps get it featured just a bit quicker. Here's what I think you've overlooked, though: A good Editor will evaluate your game in just same, regardless of if you asked the question or not. All you have to do is tell him/her to look at the game. He already knows what you are gunning for so asking the question is pointless, anyway.

Don't think that the results of this poll matter much, by the way. This is FORUM rule you are attempting to change. An impromptu vote taken mostly amongst soldiers and privates will hardly ever be enough to change a forum rule. There is a reason the rule was put forth in the first place, which was actually the reason truths gave, if I'm not mistaken, and that reason still holds true, therefor repealing this rule would not be prudent at this time.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline rocketeer

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 02:02 am »
Don't think that the results of this poll matter much, by the way. This is FORUM rule you are attempting to change. An impromptu vote taken mostly amongst soldiers and privates will hardly ever be enough to change a forum rule. There is a reason the rule was put forth in the first place, which was actually the reason truths gave, if I'm not mistaken, and that reason still holds true, therefor repealing this rule would not be prudent at this time.

I think we should just leave it up to the editors to decide. If a member asks if their game is feature worthy, each editor has a choice whether or not to check out the person's game. That way each of us can keep our own philosophies. Besides, many editors that I know of are willing to evaluate individual games so why not give them the freedom to do so?
Survival of the Fittest

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 02:27 am »
Yeah, alright. I have more to say but you'll just argue around it, not necessarily in a bad way but there's no point posting it =P
#WCGP

Offline Stanleykitten

• Soldier
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a soldier nub. ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:07 pm »
I think the community would be better if members knew why their games were recognized yet not featured, and then get feedback on why so they could improve. So yeah, I voted it should be okay.
Just a humble little creeper. C:

aditya75

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 02:03 pm »
I think JJS's point should be re-reviewed, lol.