Author Topic: Question for my Editor Cohorts  (Read 453 times)

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Question for my Editor Cohorts
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:12 pm »
When we are determining whether or not a game is feature-worthy do we take into account when the game was made like we do with the potential EGL games? Mat raised this question to me and I'm wondering what they rest of you think of it. I personally think we should take into account when a game was made.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline rocketeer

• Launcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question for my Editor Cohorts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:27 pm »
No, unless the game was made with a Beta creator, they should be judged the same as modern games. I can understand that the standards for a game using the beta platformer engine would be different from the modern platformer creator but other than that, judging them differently can cause some difficulties such as members using older games as an excuse to lower the standards. If a game is not feature worthy by today's standards then it is not feature worthy.

Survival of the Fittest

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54 pm »
Well super's game was made with the beta creator. I'm going to feature an old(er) game that was made with the beta creator, because I actually found it better than some of the beta Plat's that were last featured
hi

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28 pm »
Well super's game was made with the beta creator. I'm going to feature an old(er) game that was made with the beta creator, because I actually found it better than some of the beta Plat's that were last featured
Thank you for featuring it, although I'm still not convinced that it is a great game as I'm pretty sure I was just messing around when I made it. You aren't the first person to think highly of it, though. Swallowthesun wrote a review of it long ago just raving about it. (Did I tell you that already?)
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:05 pm »
Rocketeer has a good point or two, such as the excuse for lowering standards etc.

But I think it would be fine to judge them based on the time they were made. If they were feature worthy for their time, but didn't get featured, surely they can still be featured, right? And the standards are higher with the editor bunch that we have so there's still guidelines we look for. I think it'd be cool to judge them like we do for the EGL.

#WCGP

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:32 pm »
Thank you for featuring it, although I'm still not convinced that it is a great game as I'm pretty sure I was just messing around when I made it. You aren't the first person to think highly of it, though. Swallowthesun wrote a review of it long ago just raving about it. (Did I tell you that already?)
No offense but I think swallow's review on your game was a bit innacurate.

You must be good at mucking around then. ;)
hi

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 12:42 am »
While, we're all here and discussing, what about the older game styles that don't really get made often, if at all anymore. Would minute action games be deemed worthy for a feature if they're good enough, or is that sort of a lost genre?
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27 am »
While, we're all here and discussing, what about the older game styles that don't really get made often, if at all anymore. Would minute action games be deemed worthy for a feature if they're good enough, or is that sort of a lost genre?
I'm not sure. I'd have to see exactly what you mean by "minute action" game.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:44 pm »
On Checkthepan's 2nd Page (i think) he has a game called Nostalgia Escape, that comes under the minute action genre, 1 minute or less of lagless action.

They were made often I'd say back in '08 etc.
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:53 pm »
On Checkthepan's 2nd Page (i think) he has a game called Nostalgia Escape, that comes under the minute action genre, 1 minute or less of lagless action.

They were made often I'd say back in '08 etc.
If they are good then sure. We need to acquaint the newer members with the classic games. This will be a good way to do it.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
  • Self Esteem Points: 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06 pm »
No, the game will not reach the quality of today and will not be up to standards. Its chance to shine has passed. We can' t just feature a not so good game just because It might have been considered an okay game way back when.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:09 am »
If they are good then sure. We need to acquaint the newer members with the classic games. This will be a good way to do it.

Cool thanks for answering that :)
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:05 pm »
No, the game will not reach the quality of today and will not be up to standards. Its chance to shine has passed. We can' t just feature a not so good game just because It might have been considered an okay game way back when.
Let me paint you a picture: It is the year 2009. The platformer has just come out. A random user makes a game that is by the standards of the day "feature-worthy". However, the game goes unnoticed until two years later. Has he not still earned the feature? Has he not expanded the same effort as the other users back then did to earn features? Is it fair for us to deny him what he has earned just because nobody noticed his game right away? It's hardly his fault if we Editors were slowing in noticing his games and therefor we can not deny him what he has earned just because we were slow in doing our jobs.

Also consider that we know now much more about what sort of things can be done with each creator then we did two years ago or even just a year ago. As we have discovered what was possible our standards for feature-worthy games have gone up. Given that fact, it can be said that even though there haven't been any updates to the platformer or the classic shooter in over a year or two, there is more that can be done with each today then there was when each update was introduced. In a sense we have provided our own updates to each of the creators through our own creativity and innovation. It follows, then, that we can not judge any game of the past by the standards of the current day. We could be judging games on the basis of things that were for all intents and purposes impossible when they were made, which is simply unfair.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline rocketeer

• Launcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59 pm »
Let me paint you a picture: It is the year 2009. The platformer has just come out. A random user makes a game that is by the standards of the day "feature-worthy". However, the game goes unnoticed until two years later. Has he not still earned the feature? Has he not expanded the same effort as the other users back then did to earn features? Is it fair for us to deny him what he has earned just because nobody noticed his game right away? It's hardly his fault if we Editors were slowing in noticing his games and therefor we can not deny him what he has earned just because we were slow in doing our jobs.

Also consider that we know now much more about what sort of things can be done with each creator then we did two years ago or even just a year ago. As we have discovered what was possible our standards for feature-worthy games have gone up. Given that fact, it can be said that even though there haven't been any updates to the platformer or the classic shooter in over a year or two, there is more that can be done with each today then there was when each update was introduced. In a sense we have provided our own updates to each of the creators through our own creativity and innovation. It follows, then, that we can not judge any game of the past by the standards of the current day. We could be judging games on the basis of things that were for all intents and purposes impossible when they were made, which is simply unfair.

His time to shine has long passed. We can't just go about and feature games that are 'unworthy' by today's standards. It wouldn't be fair for users who actually make games that are worthy. Standards change and old games that have the standards of yesterday simply can't compete with the modern ideal game. To allow old rusty games to stand along side by side with higher quality games would be unjust.
Survival of the Fittest

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:17 am »
His time to shine has long passed. We can't just go about and feature games that are 'unworthy' by today's standards. It wouldn't be fair for users who actually make games that are worthy. Standards change and old games that have the standards of yesterday simply can't compete with the modern ideal game. To allow old rusty games to stand along side by side with higher quality games would be unjust.

-_-
#WCGP

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22 pm »
His time to shine has long passed.
Does it matter? He still created the same quality of work that others of his time were rewarded for and yet he was denied his just reward through no fault of his own. How can you answer for that injustice?

To allow old rusty games to stand along side by side with higher quality games would be unjust.
Your argument is flawed. You see, the standards for featured games have changed over the years but the quality has not. The expected quality of a featured game during any time period is that it best utilizes the knowledge and resources of its parent creator (Creator in this sense meaning the program used to make the game, not the person who made the game.) in a way most practical and efficient. All featured games have satisfied that condition, or else they would not have been featured at all. (Save for perhaps some of the earlier featured games, because let's be honest: A lot of those were total crap, but that is mostly because we had sub-par Editors who didn't know what they were doing. I should know. I was one of them.) Thus it could be said that any two featured games, regardless of the time period in which they were created, are of approximately equal quality. As for the standard for featured games, that evolves only as the "knowledge and resources" of the creators expand and evolve. As we gain more knowledge of each creator and as each creator is improved upon we expect people to use their knowledge of the creator and the creator itself to their fullest extent possible when making a game that is to be featured.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 01:27 pm »

The game should be reasonable at the least. I can understand where you are coming from, but what if the game is total crap, but it could have been considered 'good' when the only really good creators were bobbler and Took? Thats not really fair to those who work harder and do not receive features today. Any game can be featured as long as it has good content worthy of a feature.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37 pm »
The game should be reasonable at the least. I can understand where you are coming from, but what if the game is total crap, but it could have been considered 'good' when the only really good creators were bobbler and Took? Thats not really fair to those who work harder and do not receive features today. Any game can be featured as long as it has good content worthy of a feature.
I will make this concession: We can disregard games that might have been considered feature-worthy in '07 and early '08. We had terrible standards back then. A lot of games featured back then were just awful, and I make it a point to unfeature those games whenever they come up on the home page.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 02:54 pm »
I will make this concession: We can disregard games that might have been considered feature-worthy in '07 and early '08. We had terrible standards back then. A lot of games featured back then were just awful, and I make it a point to unfeature those games whenever they come up on the home page.

Ok.