Author Topic: We need a more efficient way to find good games. Some ideas in the thread  (Read 1557 times)

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Upvote/Downvote system like reddit. There can then be a list of the games with a lot of upvotes (downvotes don't really affect the position on a 1:1 ratio, more like 1:5)
Along with this, the games need in game messages that actually insist on the player to vote for the game. (As I hardly ever vote for games, and I know I am not the only one)

We also need to encourage editor's to participate in game sharing more so we can see the talent. I know it is difficult to find talent outside of the forum but that is why I think we should advertise the forum on the mainsite more.

We could also have a most viewed/most commented/most favorited/most contreversial (lots of likes and dislikes but close to even) games of the day/week/month category on the play games page bar.

Adding some of these ideas I think could help not only increase the amount of editor game featuring, but also broaden the range of users who get their games featured.
http://www.sploder.com/games/members/123tanman123/

Check out my games :) 10 Featured and counting

Offline 559369

• Disruptor
  • http://www.sploder.com/games/members/559369/
    • View Profile
    • Sploder
Featuring more games would take away spotlight from featured games. Although, it gets a tad bit annoying to see the same members on the featured list. I think these are good ideas to find underground talent.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
  • Self Esteem Points: 95
    • View Profile
No, all of the popular kill Justin Beiber, Eat a [Insert food here], and a bunch of other crap would get up there because the MS people adore that stuff.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
@559 I don't think so, most of the time games on the featured page are on there from last week they've had their time in the spotlight
@nooks sure not all the popular games will be high quality but there will be a good game somewhere in the bunch.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
@559 I don't think so, most of the time games on the featured page are on there from last week they've had their time in the spotlight
@nooks sure not all the popular games will be high quality but there will be a good game somewhere in the bunch.

But that just means we are lowering the standards for a feature. If anything, I think it should be higher. Making a feature worthy game is getting easier and easier it seems like.
It's good to be Young.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile

But that just means we are lowering the standards for a feature. If anything, I think it should be higher. Making a feature worthy game is getting easier and easier it seems like.
How is that lowering the standards? It just gives a better place to start finding games outside the forum instead of just mindlessly scrolling through pages of new games

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
The point of the thread is to make it more efficient never did I say we should lower the standards.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile

How is that lowering the standards? It just gives a better place to start finding games outside the forum instead of just mindlessly scrolling through pages of new games

I thought you also meant featuring games a majority of Main Site members like, as in the art games, for example. I think I misunderstood a little. I was looking at moola's reasoning.
It's good to be Young.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile

I thought you also meant featuring games a majority of Main Site members like, as in the art games, for example. I think I misunderstood a little. I was looking at moola's reasoning.
Yeah I think he was referring to the most viewed games of the day and he was thinking it would all be noob games. I think it would be like that at first but over time it shift to a quality game selection if we can implement more of my ideas. But I agree with you on the quality of games being featured. But without any other source of "good" games other than the forums, we have to start thinking of ways to better organize games on the site so that quality games can be found easier.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
See, a majority of the MS are little kids, how many good game makers do you see in the most viewed section often. There might be one gem in the list of popular games but other than that it would only make a slight impact and it would more trouble to have than to use.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
Sometimes I wish the main site was a little older so people can actually understand my games and put effort into them. Even some of the experienced game makers dont understand why I make some of my games the way I do. I suppose that's fine, but at the same time it annoys me a little. I put a lot of effort into game making.
It's good to be Young.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
See, a majority of the MS are little kids, how many good game makers do you see in the most viewed section often. There might be one gem in the list of popular games but other than that it would only make a slight impact and it would more trouble to have than to use.
Tell me the last time you went through the list of archived games. Every editor only features games out of the forum. If you go look at the featured games page they're all on the forum or have already had a featured game.

A most viewed/highest rated/ most commented, etc. games page would do a lot more good then bad. Think like youtube when you hit the browse button. Not only would this help for editor's but for everyone else so I don't see what your argument on that is.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Bump

Offline deathleaf

• Electropede
  • I am Pie lover guy!
    • View Profile
Easy solution - When a noob posts his/her game on your page asking you to play it, then play it. :P

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
No no no we seriously need to find a way to work this out

Offline boredgame

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • I'm a she. ;3
    • View Profile
Well, I've seen some forum contests before where people enter games of unnoticed but talented game makers. That seemed to have brought about some new undiscovered names to fame at least slightly. I'm not suggesting we hold a contest like this again, but maybe we could have something similar - although I have nothing concrete in mind to suggest atm.
You may not be able to direct the forceful wind, but you can always adjust the sails.

Offline deathleaf

• Electropede
  • I am Pie lover guy!
    • View Profile
I think EGD brought the most undiscovered talent to be shown.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Yeah egd does bring attention to some unknown users, we need to adapt that for the mainsite some how

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
  • LOVE, LIFE, LOYALTY, AND LIVE LONG LIKE LEGENDS
    • View Profile
@Tanman: Well, one of the ways to do that is to bring EGD to the MS. Problem is, it'd totally kill the experience of it, because the MS is a bunch of elementary school kids. I think there should be another game drop thing like EGD, because it's always fun to see new members create sick stuff. There should be seasonal EGD's, because some users are active more in summer, etc.

Offline 123tanman123

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Yeah I know what you mean haha. But I think a most viewed of the day page would be helpful

Offline deathleaf

• Electropede
  • I am Pie lover guy!
    • View Profile
I have the best idea :D We can get Geoff to somehow retrieve Sceptile's password, then one of us create a game on his account called "The Ultimate Gaming Contest" Then we will have around 6000 noobs play it, read the info and make the best game they can, we then tell them to release the link on the games page and then we can play the games and find talent :D

Offline boredgame

• Soldier
  • Centipede
  • I'm a she. ;3
    • View Profile
I have the best idea :D We can get Geoff to somehow retrieve Sceptile's password, then one of us create a game on his account called "The Ultimate Gaming Contest" Then we will have around 6000 noobs play it, read the info and make the best game they can, we then tell them to release the link on the games page and then we can play the games and find talent :D
For some reason, I think that idea might even work, lol.
You may not be able to direct the forceful wind, but you can always adjust the sails.

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Yeah I know what you mean haha. But I think a most viewed of the day page would be helpful

That still might not work. All of Sceptile's games would be flowin' that page everyday.

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
Tell me the last time you went through the list of archived games.
Last week, which was also the last time I went on the MS properly. It was full of shiite, but I looked anyway, and played most of the games that looked like they were anything promising.
Boo

Offline thunderleaf

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Poll of best ideas, por favor.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
Idea

The Editor Competition

Its an idea for the MS. This is a separate contest where each week people nominate the best games they find, this button would go next to the regular nominate. The top 30 would be submitted to a page that only Editors could view. It would like a like a list of thumbnails with 2 boxes next to each one. Editors would type in a score 1-10 in the first box, and the second box would be the Feature? box. If checked the game would be auto featured. That would help weed through and find some unknown talent.

Offline casper11

• Caspurr
  • Bugmeister
  • My cat is badass
    • View Profile
    • DeCAPS
Idea

The Editor Competition

Its an idea for the MS. This is a separate contest where each week people nominate the best games they find, this button would go next to the regular nominate. The top 30 would be submitted to a page that only Editors could view. It would like a like a list of thumbnails with 2 boxes next to each one. Editors would type in a score 1-10 in the first box, and the second box would be the Feature? box. If checked the game would be auto featured. That would help weed through and find some unknown talent.
You may as well look through all the contest winners for all the talent you'd find that way.
Boo

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
    • View Profile
I like where this is going...
In restaurants, pizza can be baked in an oven with stone bricks above the heat source, an electric deck oven, a conveyor belt oven or, in the case of more expensive restaurants, a wood- or coal-fired brick oven.

Offline moolatycoon

• The Golden King
  • Bugmeister
    • View Profile
You may as well look through all the contest winners for all the talent you'd find that way.

Have you seen most of the contest winners?

Offline Princess Matty

• Derpnut
  • Centipede
  • Mat7772 here. =)
    • View Profile
Yes, Traffic Control by me is an excellent game!
hi