Author Topic: I know in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but here's my 2 cents.  (Read 80 times)

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
It's just kind of interesting to see the transformation that has taken place in roughly 8 months time... In my opinion (though probably not in most people's) the forum has never been perfect but I don't think it's getting any better.

To start I think that the ranks are very unnecessary, this is the only forum I've ever been on that uses such a bizarre form of hierarchy for it's rankings.  ::)   

I think it's just not needed, obviously some positions such as moderator are needed for the well being of a site, but adding little 'bonus' categories for a few people really doesn't promote the equality or well-being of the forum.

There's definitely a strong sense of community we all have, maybe not necessarily towards certain people but it's definitely present here whether we want to acknowledge it or not.

I guess I'm just kind of puzzled over why it was decided that in order to remove the hierarchy and tiering of ranks another category must be added, making it unlockable isn't really going to change much either.

I understand the reasoning behind the switch to a new forum, and it isn't that bad, but I think it's even further separating what it means to be a member of the Sploder forums, it's making it harder to navigate, making things seem more distant, it's harder to tell who's currently online, I just in general think it's detracting from what made Sploder, well, Sploder.

I think basically what happens far too often is people just jump at whatever opportunity they have to attack another user. Whether it be quoting or thanking an insulting post, I'd say we're almost all guilty of it on some level, and while this is basically unavoidable, it's almost consistently deemed OK unless it's towards a popular member.

I think that Gaming Labels are also ruining the site. It used to be you would make a game, promote it yourself, and work your very hardest to ensure people played it. Now game sharing is less 'Here is a game I made' and more 'Here, we make your games better.'

Game labels are basically famous for being famous, much like Paris Hilton. Why is she famous? Does she really do anything? Not really, she's just well... Famous. Basically the gaming labels are a useless waste of space and they're constantly popping up and adding to the clutter.

I know I haven't exactly gone out of my way to make friends or get to know people here, though I honestly wish I had more. But I'm honestly just thinking it's time to cut my connection with this place because I hate seeing it deteriorate from what it used to be.

Overall I think there is far too much focus on the categorization and separation of members that it detracts from the whole community experience and everybody being on equal footing.

The more that I log on and see new categories and some new way to separate members the more I shake my head and sigh. And when I see all that made Sploder forums Sploder forums being taken away and replaced, I can't help but feel this aching sense of nostalgia and good times being taken away.

I may just wake up tomorrow and decide to log on, but it feels good to explain all of this and sort of express my current feelings about the whole system.

Regardless of if I end up remaining active on these forums, I wish you all nothing but the best, even if we have had problems in the past, and I wish Sploder and all of it's further developments the best of luck.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:56 am by cheesepudding »
I had an inappropriate signature so a meddling idiot had to remove it.

Offline Brocky

• KrewLife
  • General
  • Mogura
  • Im Brocky
    • View Profile
I can understand where you are coming from. You've honestly been one of the tiny few who have actually given a reasonable comment about what you do/don't like. My main point and I think the only valid point I can say is that everything people dislike about this forum is simply because it is different and you are not used to it. Other than that I can see where you are coming from. I don't really have a response to your post though as our opinions differ.

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
I guess the overall point I have is forums shouldn't be about dividing and separating and naming your members, people should be equal and just enjoy themselves, not be striving to be considered 'better' than somebody else.
I had an inappropriate signature so a meddling idiot had to remove it.