Author Topic: [Application] Hmmm... a Volcano  (Read 331 times)

Offline Flippenout

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • REAL MEN WEAR PINK
    • View Profile
[Application] Hmmm... a Volcano
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:16 pm »
Game: Volcanic Prison by linklock
 Type: Platformer

One day, I was just scrolling through the reviews and something caught the corner of my eye. As soon I looked at the thumbnail I knew I wanted to play it. For some reason, my gut told me this game was going to be worth it, and so I clicked the thumbnail and boom! This was the turning point for me on Sploder, this was my inspiration! This game has kinda been my inspiration for platformers since the very beginning! When I entered the game I knew what I was missing, to my platformers. This game taught me what making games is all about! It taught me to get off my lazy bum and to try harder!

-Gameplay-
  The gameplay was fantastic! I'm not sure if it was just me but when I entered the game I became, whats the word, Addicted! It was amazing. I never really had that feeling before this game, and it felt good. Those games that are nearly impossible just seem to bother me and make me more frustrated, in a word they don't make me feel to 'happy.' But this game, was perfect and that is probably the reason why I became totally engaged in this epic game. Why, the enemy placement was great, their wasn't too many, which actually turned out to be a big factor in the awesomeness of the game. The enemy choice was pretty good: Mutants. I mean they fitted well with the scenery and volcano. Although, I wish he could of added a bigger variety of enemies such as: a Fire Troll, Rocky. (It could have been a good mid-level boss.) The item placement was decent, it wasn't.... Extraordinary! But it was decent. There were a couple frustrating moments with the slider, but that turned out to be just an extra challenge you had to master. This just proves that some item placement can turn into a extra challenge.

-Design-
 The design was; Excellent! Eh. Wrong, lets just say the design was okay. I mean I wasn't astonished by the design when I walked into the game but like I said it was okay. Thats it. Let me make a point here, Design determines whether a game is sloppy or carefully thought through. It contributes to the engagement to the game and the so called *quote* "Happiness." Without the design the game is usually a big mess, period. Now I'm not saying this game was... Sloppy or anything it just wasn't perfect in design... not for me. He could have made it a little more detailed, he could have added maybe, some inscriptions, etchings, or statues along the wall just to make it look more like a "Mutant Lair." Anyway, thats really all I have to say on design. Overall it could use some work but shouldn't affect the game to much.

-Puzzles-
  There isn't really much to talk about with the puzzles. Because I found there wasn't too many puzzling moments and if there was a little thinking involved, well let us just say a kindergardener could have solved those puzzles. Now lets not forget how EPIC this game was and really puzzles don't necessarily determine if the game is well made or not! Many people seem to not realize that it is not the puzzles that make the game, the game makes the puzzles. There are two types of platform games: Puzzles or Action games. This game is swaying more towards Action. It turns out that maybe this game not having to many puzzles actually helped it, overall. What I'm trying to say, this game was already hard enough and if you added a bunch of puzzles it could have really put some members on rampages. So this just proves a good game doesn't need to have puzzles. But puzzles can be big improvements to games.

(Continued....)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:51 pm by Flippenout »
Accomplishments:
-Be the second to last Survivor in the first ever 'Hunger' Gameshow.
-Become a Reviewer
-Get a Feature
-Make lots of friends
-Gain respect.
-Become the 2nd best private of the year

Offline Flippenout

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • REAL MEN WEAR PINK
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:17 pm »
-Scenery-
 The scenery wasn't too bad. I mean it somewhat did display some kind of volcano, it had the stuff volcanos have, lava and the wall tile selection was perfect for a volcano. Plus the mutants was an extra bonus to the scenery. I don't think I can really think of much more things to add to a volcano. And to be honest scenery isn't the 'biggest' factor to a game, it really shouldn't change how well this game was thought out. Although, if it weren't for the title of the game and the description I may have thought I was in some kind of secret lair of some sort. Scenery is very important and is really a huge bonus to a game. For example, lets says your making a game and the theme is the jungle. What belongs in the jungle? Rivers, Vines, Trees etc. And in this game he added a few things that helped with the scenery: Mutants, Lava and Wall Tile... So obviously were not in the Arctic so we must be in a hot place. All I'm saying is he could have added even a little more scenery, because that could have been a big factor to how you feel about the game your playing, but overall he made it clear through the title, description and the objects.

-Difficulty-
 Frustrating! Just kidding... The difficulty is huge to a game! And this game was perfect with the difficulty! Most people don't like playing games that are just plain impossible! Let me tell you why, because from where I come from that leads to little word known as: Frustration. No one wants to play a game and go on a rampage, it is just not worth it. So if you find a game impossible then don't play it! But this game wasn't frustrating, yeah sure it took me a few tries to win but it wasn't frustrating at all. It turned out to be pretty fun, and the difficulty ended up contributing to the game in a good way. By the time I won the game it probably took me about half an hour but it was worth it. It kept me playing even if I had to keep trying to win the game. So overall this game's difficulty was for me, thats for sure.

-Conclusion-
Sometimes following you gut does work. And it proved it this time. It really was worth it even though it took an entire 30 minutes to finish. This game has inspired me with its Gameplay, Puzzles, Scenery and Difficulty. Since then I've improved my platformer games to look more like this great game. Although, it isn't the best game I've ever played it was pretty good. Now time for the ratings...

-Ratings-

Gameplay: ***/*****
Design: **.5/*****
Puzzles: ***.5/*****
Scenery: ****/*****
Difficulty: *****/*****
Overall: ***.5/*****

Was this game worthy of Review?
 Ummmm.... Let me think about that... Of course, this game was not only my inspiration but an EPIC game!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:56 pm by Flippenout »
Accomplishments:
-Become a Reviewer
-Get a Feature
-Make lots of friends
-Gain respect.

Offline Rubber Ducky

• 2013 me really had a taste for usernames
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:21 pm »
This is very good. I'm impressed.  But there were some spelling errors.

Offline Flippenout

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • REAL MEN WEAR PINK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41 pm »
Posted By: MilkingThis is very good. I'm impressed.  But there were some spelling errors.

thanks!
Accomplishments:
-Become a Reviewer
-Get a Feature
-Make lots of friends
-Gain respect.

Offline sto4

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:56 pm »
It does look nice, but I believe you overrated the game a little bit. All in all, it is your opinion and does look pretty nice.

Offline Yelawolf

• Mortar
  • Geoff57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33 pm »
If this doesn't meet the standard's im screwed...
I say it as I see it.
I don't lick anyone's behind to gain "respect" on this site.
You either like me or don't.

Always happy to help.

Offline JJS

• Something Unreal
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Something Awful
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40 am »
This could be worthy of being accepted should the unnecessary capitalised lettera be fixed and have the gammar and sometimes spelling fixed. I'd advise to say the full word, "because" instead of "cause" too, makes it look + sound more professional.

This is a solid review, PM me this once you fix it up. And just revise your sentences, try to leave out too many long pauses like..... this... in... the... review. :D

Just fix it up, PM it to me and I'll make my final decision, don't get your hopes up too high, but it's a solid review.
#WCGP

Offline NPC

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • I'm a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19 am »
Posted By: jackjoshseb have the gammar and sometimes spelling fixed.

Trolololol

Offline Yelawolf

• Mortar
  • Geoff57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:26 am »
Posted By: npc10000
Posted By: jackjoshsebhave the gammar and sometimes spelling fixed.

Trolololol
lol!
I say it as I see it.
I don't lick anyone's behind to gain "respect" on this site.
You either like me or don't.

Always happy to help.

Offline battlestriker

• Turret
    • View Profile
    • Youtoob
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:13 pm »
cool,nice work!
=D >=( =( =)

Offline Enderchimera

• Disruptor
  • Some idiot who reads Homestuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:51 am »
I like it! Good luck!
Chims prettehs

Click yes good

Offline mitkoizi4

• Launcher
  • One does not simply read my personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12 am »
Wow, this is pretty good. Good luck! ;D

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:40 am »
Linklock should be happy if it gets accepted. We both would review the same game! :D
In restaurants, pizza can be baked in an oven with stone bricks above the heat source, an electric deck oven, a conveyor belt oven or, in the case of more expensive restaurants, a wood- or coal-fired brick oven.

Offline HappyTheorist

• Mortar
  • Unwind with some Coffee and me, Spinachie
    • View Profile
    • Facade Entertainment Hub
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23 pm »
It's decent enough, other than the fact you overrated the game a bit too much. It's basic reviewer's tradition not to rate a game absolutely perfect.

PM me to play Portal 2, SSBB or KI:

Offline mshaafay

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 04:48 pm »
Posted By: spinachieIt's decent enough, other than the fact you overrated the game a bit too much. It's basic reviewer's tradition not to rate a game absolutely perfect.
Lol, "reviewer tradition"...*giggles*
In restaurants, pizza can be baked in an oven with stone bricks above the heat source, an electric deck oven, a conveyor belt oven or, in the case of more expensive restaurants, a wood- or coal-fired brick oven.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 08:34 pm »
You are good, I like your writing style.  I'm gonna do something that I do for people who are so close, but don't really fit what a reviewer should be.

This review is not accepted, but that does not mean you have to wait two weeks.  You can apply again whenever you like, but, I'd like two do two things.  I will tell you these two things in a whisper on this thread, and please, don't feel like these suggestions I will give you are law, but I'd really like to see what you can do if I give you these simple tips.  I don't want to tell people what they are so they can see the difference and get a better grasp of review composition and stuff.  It's good to compare two different reviews by the same person; it not only helps the writer himself (or herself) see the change that is brought, but also others are helped by viewing of how drastically a review can be changed by doing some really simple things.

So, you are the closest person to ever be accepted by me.  Only one person has ever reached that level; that person is Mat7772.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile
Re: [Application] Hmmm... a Volcano
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56 am »
Okay, your message has been sent; check your inbox.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.