Author Topic: Where Does the Perception That People From the United States Aren't As Smart Come From?  (Read 484 times)

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
I mean obviously not everybody in the modern world believes this and it's obviously not true. Every country has smart people and stupid people so it's impossible to dub one country as massive as the United States is and say everybody in it is stupid.

But where does it come from? I watched this youtube video where these Australian pranksters were asking Americans these questions on the street and they were just SO FREAKING UNBELIEVABLY IGNORANT. They thought that Yugoslavia was the only country that starts with a U, and when asked most of them didn't know what pounds or euros were. >.>

I don't get it... I mean I understand the education system is completely out of whack but where do people get the perception?
I had an inappropriate signature so a meddling idiot had to remove it.

aditya75

I had no idea that occurred. The only thing I criticize the U.S.A about is obesity.

Offline Quentin

• Disruptor
  • This is gokusupersayain6 everyone
    • View Profile
Posted By: aditya75I had no idea that occurred. The only thing I criticize the U.S.A about is obesity.

Well, only redneck ignoramas are the ones who are obese. I am not obese D:

Offline mrezman

• Heavy Cruiser
  • (╯ಠ益ಠ)╯彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Truth. Jk

Y'know what the truth is? It's because the Chinese in America are the smartest and work the hardest because you have to be smart and work hard to immigrate. Their children compared to Americans are smarter.

Offline mrezman

• Heavy Cruiser
  • (╯ಠ益ಠ)╯彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Did you know that less than 25% of Americans can name more than 25 states?

Offline Quentin

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: mrezmanDid you know that less than 25% of Americans can name more than 25 states?

yes. because 75% are ignorant and stupid.

but all the americans i know on sploder are the 25% who actually have an education and know what president is on the penny.

Offline HappyTheorist

• Mortar
  • Unwind with some Coffee and me, Spinachie
    • View Profile
    • Facade Entertainment Hub
Posted By: mrezmanTruth. Jk

Y'know what the truth is? It's because the Chinese in America are the smartest and work the hardest because you have to be smart and work hard to immigrate. Their children compared to Americans are smarter.

Bluffing, you're bluffing. Anyway, you don't have to work hard to immigrate illeagaly.

PM me to play Portal 2, SSBB or KI:

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: mrezmanDid you know that less than 25% of Americans can name more than 25 states?

That's not true. There's a song most of the schools are taught. It's not that they can't NAME them it's that it's hard to remember the exact location every single one. Sometimes the states can become really small and clumped together and it isn't the easiest thing in the world to be able to remember the exact location of all of them.

People from the west coast aren't going to find it as easy to point out and locate all of the states on the east coast. You seem to be one of those people who pulls out fictional 'facts' about people from other countries. While you're at it, all people from China aren't creative, they all are too conforming and have no personality, right? Right?

That isn't true and your 'fact' isn't either.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:46 pm by cheesepudding »

Offline Sandwich King

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Sandwiches rock. When sad, make a PB&J.
    • View Profile
I get straight A's. Well, used to, I got my first B this year.

Offline jimso

• Mortar
  • Where Am I?
    • View Profile
Posted By: cheesepuddingI mean obviously not everybody in the modern world believes this and it's obviously not true. Every country has smart people and stupid people so it's impossible to dub one country as massive as the United States is and say everybody in it is stupid.

But where does it come from? I watched this youtube video where these Australian pranksters were asking Americans these questions on the street and they were just SO FREAKING UNBELIEVABLY IGNORANT. They thought that Yugoslavia was the only country that starts with a U, and when asked most of them didn't know what pounds or euros were. >.>

I don't get it... I mean I understand the education system is completely out of whack but where do people get the perception?
A bit like how they say new yorkers are rude.
Read The Post >:)

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile

Offline EpicBlastGaming

• Disruptor
  • That's what she said.
    • View Profile
Excuse me but some of the world's smartest people were in America.
Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, etc.
So America haters, splode you!
I'm back!

Offline Cyclone43

• The "Calm" Arsonist
  • Banned
  • Bugmeister
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile

Shocker.

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: Sonicdude102Excuse me but some of the world's smartest people were in America.

Stephen Hawking is British.

Albert Einstein was German.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:59 pm by cheesepudding »

Offline kylepeanut12

• Heavy Cruiser
    • View Profile
Posted By: Sonicdude102Excuse me but some of the world's smartest people were in America.

Shut up. And Albert Einstein is from Germany...I think...
Buss down thotiana

Offline marvelwilliam

• Disruptor
  • The Gosso King Of Crater Lake
    • View Profile
People think that America's dumb because everyone Important is Dumb.

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: marvelwilliamPeople think that America's dumb because everyone Important is Dumb.

-_-

You're not doing the U.S. any justice.

Offline Cakemixed

• Turret
    • View Profile
I've never heard about americans being dumb.
Only being fat and eating burgers.

Offline marvelwilliam

• Disruptor
  • The Gosso King Of Crater Lake
    • View Profile
Posted By: cheesepudding
Posted By: marvelwilliamPeople think that America's dumb because everyone Important is Dumb.

-_-

You're not doing the U.S. any justice.
I never said I was.

Offline Cheesypuff

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
lmfao. okay then.

@marvel
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:08 pm by cheesepudding »

Offline Quentin

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: CakemixedI've never heard about americans being dumb.
Only being fat and eating burgers.

Okay. 1. that is sterotypes. some americans are fat, but not all of them.
2. some people are fat in your country, i bet.

Offline Sandwich King

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Sandwiches rock. When sad, make a PB&J.
    • View Profile
Ahem, many people in America don't get a healthy education due to the poor economy. Poverty. How can you blame us for the curses of poverty and depressions?

Offline gamezman305

• Mortar
  • >>>>>>>>>
    • View Profile
Just to clear things up, Not everybody in a country is fat, dumb,smart, poor, or rich etc.. It all just matters on the families characteristic.

Same with people who joke about blondes being stupid.

Offline Myrmidon

• Guard
    • View Profile
Posted By: cheesepuddingI mean obviously not everybody in the modern world believes this and it's obviously not true. Every country has smart people and stupid people so it's impossible to dub one country as massive as the United States is and say everybody in it is stupid.

Thankful People:marvelwilliam
I favourited that video a few months back

Offline peruguy2005

• Disruptor
  • Never give up on your dreams; just keep going.
    • View Profile
Honestly, this was exactly one of the reasons I flamed America back then. Splode education systems in the US should get better.

Offline Myrmidon

• Guard
    • View Profile
I blame the US media. especially FOX

Offline peruguy2005

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: jakemiller1I blame the US media. especially FOX

Meh, I'd blame them more for obesity than stupidity.

Offline Spidapig

• terminallyCapricious
  • Heavy Cruiser
  • I'm a poet and play the ukulele. I'm pretty cool
    • View Profile

There are plenty of other stupid stereotypes, such as the Polish.  It doesn't make them true, but it also can prove who whines a lot when they post arguments about generalized stupidity on a forum.
For fifty and nine he swam along just fine, a mind that’s trained to see, always would know what goes on inside, goes on in me.

Offline peruguy2005

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: cheesepudding

Stephen Hawking is British.

Albert Einstein was German.
Thankful People:kylepeanut12,jakemiller1

Where's Carl Sagan from anyways?

Offline peruguy2005

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
Posted By: spidapig

There are plenty of other stupid stereotypes, such as the Polish.  It doesn't make them true, but it also can prove who whines a lot when they post arguments about generalized stupidity on a forum.

"runs"